PDA

View Full Version : Caithness History from a 13 yr old's point of view

justine
19-Mar-08, 18:05
I have just been typing up my daughters project and have decided to ask for some opinions on this...please read and let me know what you think..I thinks this is a good piece of work..

Did the Fishing Industry only benefit Wick
The british Fishing Industry had three main aims for the Islands and Highlands of Scotland, to improve fishng farming and other industires.To provide jobs and to stop people emigrating from the Highlands.
Society hoped to do this by setting up fishing Industries around the coast...Thomas Telford turned down Helmsdale and Brora as a possible fishing industry area..Thomas suggested that Wick had a very good harbour which should be developed. This helped with the ideas that he had for the fishing industry itself...
The fishing industry brought many jobs to the area, and other than the fishing industry itself brought other jobs for the people...In wick alone there were
436 fishermen and 88 boats sitting in the harbour...Along with the Coopers, who were needed make the barrels for the fish to be stored in...A total of 70 were employed....The women that were employed mainly gutted the fish and then packed them away in the barrels...586 in total to gut and pack the hugh amounts of fish that were being brought in...
The fish were sold by people employed for the job.239 sellers were employed...
The fishing also brought the boat builders to wick,they had te task of building the boats to keep the industry alive..Around 87 boat builders were employed and started to build their boats...Amongst all the boat builders were different tradesmen, some to build the sails, the ropes that help the sail and rigging in place...Some were employed by the saw mills to chop the wood for making the barrels....
other types of jobs that were being done aswell as the boats and fishing, wee the Barley mill workers, brewery workers and stonemasons for making the flagstones for easy access to the harbour...All these jobs are done for the sake of the fishing industry, to keep people in the highlands and let them make an honest living....
By 1811 the Fishing Industry had made alot of improvements to Wick including a new bridge across the Harbour and more work was done on the Inner harbour...Alltogether it cost them 14.000 pounds, which in 1811 was a considerable amount of money...The population of Wick increased alot in that time
Population of Pulteneytown
1813 300
1814 400
1818 852
1819 1174
1879 2200

which created more jobs, more people and more families...
The one problem was that with all the benefits there came drawbacks..
Firstly there was the problem of overcrowding,during the fishing season (july-september)...Wick was overcrowded as 10.000 people came from places like Sutherland, The Western Isles, Orkney, Moray coast and even the Highland crofters got involved....The housing was inadequate to hold this amount of people and sometimes there were up to 12 people sharing a small room...
The working conditions wee terrible...It was hazardous and dangerous and many people caught Cholera..The people caught this by injesting contaminated food or water...People did start to move away after the outbreaks for safety reasons, which is when the numbers started to decline...
Cholera was caught from eachother, and was spread due to the overcrowding, dirty condidtions, contaminated food and water.
not only did they ahve to put up with Cholera but had whooping cough,pleurisy, fevers...19 people died of Cholera and many were ill for over a month....
The conditions of the streets were appauling...the worst known street was breadlebane terrace...They had no sanitary sistems and their muck was just thrown into the streets...People were falling ill all the time...
Pulteneytown commitee decided the only way to get the streets clean was to fine the people caught throwing their muck into the streets..This seemed to work and the streets started to look cleaner...When the muck was scraped of the roads, it would leave holes, which had to be filled in with stonechips and tar...
Crime also started to be a problems in Wick..this included poaching, fraud, theft, rioting and assults...Alcohol was becoming a big problem, which also led to many of the crimes listed...At one point the fenses at the john o'groats journal offices were demolished by rioters....

The fishing industry brought to wick many problems along with the benefits it brought....
One the good side it brought was jobs
the bad side was the illness and crime.so the overall efforts for the fishing industry brought good and bad to wick....

MadPict
19-Mar-08, 18:17
Hope you correct your grammatical errors before handing it in...

justine
19-Mar-08, 18:20
Hope you correct your grammatical errors before handing it in...

She will..Its not mine..I just typed it up for her....yes its got spelling mistakes.....but spelling does not matter at school or so i keep being told by her teachers...I typed up what she had written exactly...I dont do their homework, but like she says i can type quicker....
Helpfull analasys anyway..thanks

Fluff
19-Mar-08, 18:28
I wonder what makes them think that spelling is not important?!

henry20
19-Mar-08, 18:30
...I dont do their homework, but like she says i can type quicker....

Surely the only way for her to improve would be with practice??

justine
19-Mar-08, 18:31
I wonder what makes them think that spelling is not important?!

my question evertime i go to parents evening..They keep telling me that her works ideas are great but her spelling is terrible..I push her at home but at school they tell the pupils as long as the content makes sense then the spelling no longer matters...I cant think why they would think this and i encourage her to do her spellings regardless of what they say, but thats there policy on it....:~(

MadPict
19-Mar-08, 18:31
Didn't want her to get marked down because of your speed typing....

And as for spelling not being important? That is utter rubbish - my OH is a teacher and is appalled at the standard of students education that enrol at their college. And these kids have GCSEs!!!!

justine
19-Mar-08, 18:35
Didn't want her to get marked down because of your speed typing....

And as for spelling not being important? That is utter rubbish - my OH is a teacher and is appalled at the standard of students education that enrol at their college. And these kids have GCSEs!!!!

Exactly...they should make spelling compulsary to learn throught school...But you should contact wick high and speak to the english teachers who keep telling me this.....I lie to you not....Its madness, when i was at school spelling was tested daily and weekly, depending on who was doing it....Mine is not perfect and we all make mistakes, but i agree kids spelling these days is terrible...

changilass
19-Mar-08, 19:17
I think you shouldn't be putting your childs homework on a website to see what people think.

It really doesn't matter what I think about it, its her tutors opinion you should be interested in and the only way to find that out is to hand it in.

As has already been said, your child will only increase her typing speed by doing it herself.

scotsboy
19-Mar-08, 19:25
I just skimmed it, firstly I am a wee bit confused by the opening statement, is this a quote form somewhere? I don't think the Fishing industry ever had any great vision for farming and other industries, and I don't think it was established to prevent emigration - rather it was always part of the infrastructure.

What then goes on to be described seems to be one particular type of fishing, herring and relates to migrant workers who moved around the UK coast following the fish. There are many on this site far more well versed on the fishing industry in general and herring fishing in Wick in particular, than I. But I would say.........it needs a bit more clarrification, and perhaps some justification on the conclusions.

justine
19-Mar-08, 19:29
this is why i put it on here. I am not asking how good this is but asking if things are correct in the eyes of caithnessians..My daughter will improve on her own.this is not about her standard of work but about the correct or incorrects points of it..
As for the top passage i dont know...Do kids copy from books, yes...I just typed it up. printed it for her.then decided to see if we have any historians who can collaborate the content....
you must remeber this is fromthe eyes of a 13 yr old....expect some errors..

mountain out of a molehill springs to mind...:confused

scotsboy
19-Mar-08, 20:00
I am even more confused as to what you want now Justine. I think there are a lot of inaccurate statements and it is not a true reflection of the fishing industry and its association with Wick.........or should that be Caithness.

justine
19-Mar-08, 20:04
I am even more confused as to what you want now Justine. I think there are a lot of inaccurate statements and it is not a true reflection of the fishing industry and its association with Wick.........or should that be Caithness.

so what are you telling me she has written up a load of rubbish and none of it is right...if so can you give me some pointers that i can help her correct it, that would be great.....Obviously we neither me or my family being from caithness or wick we have to rely on written sources for information..she has written this from info she got at school....so who has got it wrong....I dont know...

justine
19-Mar-08, 20:13
i just went on a little search and came up with a small piece from the heritage centre in wick..

http://www.wickheritage.org/museum-herring.asp

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/wick/wick/index.html

Venture
19-Mar-08, 20:23
She has given lots of facts here about the fishing industry in general but you have to remember what the question was. Did the Fishing Industry Only benefit Wick.

justine
19-Mar-08, 20:29
She has given lots of facts here about the fishing industry in general but you have to remember what the question was. Did the Fishing Industry Only benefit Wick.
Thats an excellent point.looks likeshe has a little more to do....
I am currently looking through caithness history to find some pictures for her.....I have only found one of the wick harbour when the industry was in full bloom...

I feel like i am back at school, but it will help me in my scottish history studies awell..I am just near the first settlers in 9.000-5.000 bc..got a long way to go to get to 1810.....:eek:

Venture
19-Mar-08, 20:42
Get her to look through her sheets the answer will be there and then she will have to put it in her own words. I remember doing this with my son. When she types it out loose the dots in between everything and get her to use only the information she has been given in class. If you start using info from other places you will confuse her.

Venture
19-Mar-08, 20:45
I can remember another time the question was The fishing industry brought many changes to Wick, were they for the good or bad. The work she has done tonight could be used for that.