PDA

View Full Version : Bridal Shop

ashaw1
19-Mar-08, 12:02
I am looking into opening a bridal shop in Wick and just wondered what people thought. It would be a modern shop with everything a girl/guy could want for a modern wedding. Dresses (possibly hire too) shoes, jewellery, cakes, invitations ,caterers, rings, car hire, photographers gifts and more. All the items would be hand picked by myself through the best suppliers i have come across during my time exhibiting at wedding fayres, most of them being located in Scotland and even the Highlands. Would also appreciate any other ideas.

The Angel Of Death
19-Mar-08, 12:15
Good idea in my opinion i know when we was looking for ours the nearest thet we knew of was in lossiemouth and i think its shut now

BRIE
19-Mar-08, 12:18
sounds like a great idea! have wondered why no-one has done this before now I know id prefer to deal with someone local rather than Inverness alot easier for dress fittings etc.
the old toymaster would of been ideal if it hadnt been another charity shop , the retail park would be even better(bit big though!)

angela5
19-Mar-08, 12:20
the old toymaster would of been ideal if it hadnt been another charity shop ,

The rates on High/Bridge st is a killer to anyone wanting to start up a business.

johnlc
19-Mar-08, 12:25
This is a brilliant idea good on you.
Hope it works out well for you.

When i was younger i actually wanted and dreamed of doing this also designing dresses but then i had a child at 17 so couldnt do much then.

So a big good luck to you n if theres a job in it contact me:lol:

BRIE
19-Mar-08, 12:26
yes its ridiculous I looked into the rent prices etc myself its no wonder so many shops are empty! wouldnt you think they'd make them reasonable so there full surely its better than them sitting empty

henry20
19-Mar-08, 12:31
Have you thought of providing a wedding planner service (or is this the type of thing you mean - after re-reading I think it might be)? It is such a stressful time that some may decide to go for it. Would take a lot of the stress away from the bride.

There used to be dresses available from Sinclairs the shoe shop, but I don't know if they still are. Maybe there just isn't the demand locally?

Anyway, best of luck with your venture and if you go ahead, I hope it is a great success.

Margaret M.
19-Mar-08, 13:12
What a wonderful idea -- I wish you much success!

ashaw1
19-Mar-08, 13:44
Have you thought of providing a wedding planner service (or is this the type of thing you mean - after re-reading I think it might be)? It is such a stressful time that some may decide to go for it. Would take a lot of the stress away from the bride.

There used to be dresses available from Sinclairs the shoe shop, but I don't know if they still are. Maybe there just isn't the demand locally?

Anyway, best of luck with your venture and if you go ahead, I hope it is a great success.
I would certainly offer this service if it was requested. I have lots of contacts in the wedding market and all are of superior quality.

NLP
19-Mar-08, 14:51
What a great idea, wishing you all the best.

dirdyweeker
19-Mar-08, 15:38
All the best for your future plans. Hope it all goes well. It is lovely knowing that someone wants to open a new business in the town.

Would you also stock outfits for mother / father of the bride?

ashaw1
19-Mar-08, 16:30
All the best for your future plans. Hope it all goes well. It is lovely knowing that someone wants to open a new business in the town.

Would you also stock outfits for mother / father of the bride?
Don't think i can stretch to other outfits right now, the shop i'm looking at is too small, larger shops are too expensive but i will do what i can.

KCI
19-Mar-08, 16:51
This would be a brilliant idea, and something that Wick could do with. I remember someone planning to do this a while ago, but they didn't go ahead with it. I'm not sure why?

When I was getting married, I would have loved being able to go somewhere like this, but of course, there was nowhere!

Great idea - Good Luck with it. :)

carasmam
19-Mar-08, 17:10
Hope you do well in your new venture. Maybe I'll be a customer in the near future :D

Fluff
19-Mar-08, 18:13
sounds great. I know that if my OH and I ever do the deed it will be up there and god I worry now about planning it as there is nothing there!!

chocolatechip
19-Mar-08, 19:11
Its a fantastic idea I have heard for a while, I'm sure you will be busy. I hope all your plans work-out like they should. It's something different and usual :D

ashaw1
19-Mar-08, 20:51
Thanks for all the interest, hopefully it won't be in vain as i'm having a few discussions with the owner of the shop i am hoping to rent. Fingers crossed. Really appreciate all the pm's and i will get back to you as soon as i know what's happening.

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-08, 20:59
Are there less "white weddings" (you know the church wedding and big hotel doo with tons of relatives - half of whom you only saw at weddings and funerals and the other half you didn't want to see under any occasion :roll:) nowadays than there were say 15 years ago??

Maybe it's just my imagination but I don't seem to hear about so many these days....probably down to the cost of a modern day wedding....I believe in the region of £16,000 for the average wedding......I could certainly think of better things to spend that kind of money on....yikes

dessie
19-Mar-08, 21:46
My daughter got married last year and i`ve just asked her what she thought. She would have loved a shop like that up here, there is a definate and ongoing requirement of such a shop. In planning her wedding she had to make numerous trips to Inverness as well as sourcing from the internet! You wouldn`t believe how difficult it was to pick up simple items like favours, bridal party gifts etc I hope you manage to get your business up and running. Good luck!!!

Hibeechick
20-Mar-08, 10:35
Are there less "white weddings" (you know the church wedding and big hotel doo with tons of relatives - half of whom you only saw at weddings and funerals and the other half you didn't want to see under any occasion :roll:) nowadays than there were say 15 years ago??

Maybe it's just my imagination but I don't seem to hear about so many these days....probably down to the cost of a modern day wedding....I believe in the region of £16,000 for the average wedding......I could certainly think of better things to spend that kind of money on....yikes

I would have said there is a pretty equal amount of both going from what weddings I have done over the years. Also see a lot more people going south or abroad with just the main family members.

The average wedding is quoted to be so high because of all the input from celebrities and people trying to mimic those. Im not saying that weddings aren't an expense... but they dont have to be. Also, the average cost of a wedding in scotland is significantly lower than south of the border.

ashaw1
20-Mar-08, 12:49
It's proving very difficult to get a major wedding dress designer to supply dresses up here but was thinking about supplying quality second hand dresses, and possibly monsoon dresses which are beautiful dresses but at a fraction of the cost. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

henry20
20-Mar-08, 14:07
You've hit the nail on the head ashaw1. Too often people on here complain that local businesses do not do enough to get themselves business. What they don't realise is that you really do end up hitting your head against a brick wall with many firms.

Many are not willing to give you the time of day unless you will be winging loads of business their way. Its a sad situation that sees the demise of many firms. Minimum orders can be crippling.

I do wish you every success and hope you overcome this hurdle!!

I've often considered opening a shop locally, but there are far too many obstacles IMO

ashaw1
22-Mar-08, 18:59
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who wished me well in my new business venture. I found out today that i am able to rent the shop i wanted and will be opening my bridal shop in Dempster street, Wick within the next couple of months. Unfortunately it means that another local business is closing to enable me to do this but i am grabbing this opportunity with both hands. So if you are ever passing the shop feel free to pop in and say hello, would be nice to put faces to some of the org names! Thanks again!

footie chick
22-Mar-08, 19:08
The very best of luck with your new venture hope all goes well for you.

telfordstar
23-Mar-08, 11:56
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who wished me well in my new business venture. I found out today that i am able to rent the shop i wanted and will be opening my bridal shop in Dempster street, Wick within the next couple of months. Unfortunately it means that another local business is closing to enable me to do this but i am grabbing this opportunity with both hands. So if you are ever passing the shop feel free to pop in and say hello, would be nice to put faces to some of the org names! Thanks again!

wow congratulations I look forward to seeing your new shop i pass down dempster street most days. Well done

ExoticQueen
23-Mar-08, 18:27
congrats and i hope it goes well for you about time we got a local shop with wedding gowns and such unfortutunally i am married 17 years but will come in and look good luck and all the best.:D

Ash
23-Mar-08, 19:09
good luck, im gettin married 2010 so u will prob see alot of me

donnasmithy27
23-Mar-08, 21:47
Good luck, when are you planning/hopeing to get opened ashaw1, it will be good to have somewhere close to go.
See you when you open ,

ashaw1
23-Mar-08, 22:20
Will hopefully be opening sometime in May.

Angel
24-Mar-08, 00:08
Just a cautionary note...
There is a trend with the younger couples to use the internet and the Debenhams method making life far too easy for what can be a stressful time...

Also think about modern lifestyle and the so called 'gay' marraiges

Boozeburglar
24-Mar-08, 02:37
The one bit of advice I can give, is quality and customer service always sells.

People from Wick and Thurso going to Lossie for a fitting and such proves my point.

My wife was part of a successful ball gown and wedding dress concern for years in Notting Hill, people were coming from Brighton and Oxford.

Best of luck.

:)

ashaw1
24-Mar-08, 11:39
The one bit of advice I can give, is quality and customer service always sells.

People from Wick and Thurso going to Lossie for a fitting and such proves my point.

My wife was part of a successful ball gown and wedding dress concern for years in Notting Hill, people were coming from Brighton and Oxford.

Best of luck.

:)
Thanks for that! Luckily i have spent most of my working life in customer service so this shouldn't be a problem.

chocolatechip
24-Mar-08, 15:34
CONGRATS I shall be in just to have a look and to be friendly its nice to have a new shop here. All the best and I hope it all works out for you.:D

webmannie
24-Mar-08, 15:48
Ashaw1, I`ll be the lone voice and throw some caution aboot, are you sure that you`ll get sufficient demand to keep yourself going? And more importantly your stock `refreshing` often enough? There have been a couple of shops before in the county and they didna last. Brides are fussy bisams and they`ll go to the ends of the earth to get `the right dress`, you sure your going to have the answer?

ashaw1
24-Mar-08, 18:17
Ashaw1, I`ll be the lone voice and throw some caution aboot, are you sure that you`ll get sufficient demand to keep yourself going? And more importantly your stock `refreshing` often enough? There have been a couple of shops before in the county and they didna last. Brides are fussy bisams and they`ll go to the ends of the earth to get `the right dress`, you sure your going to have the answer?
Thanks for being the voice of reason but i'm hoping i have most angles covered. I am also using the shop to continue my current business of providing commercial chocolate fountains for weddings etc. I am also stocking childrens bridesmaid/party dresses and handmade chocolates as well as other wedding based products. It is certainly something i have asked myself many times.

anneoctober
24-Mar-08, 21:00
What a refreshing change, to hear good news ! Best of luck wifie ! :D

Fluff
25-Mar-08, 10:52
May I make a suggestion? Could you please have a website!! One that is kept up to date, shows what you sell and has contact details.
with so many wedding shops to choose from, it helps to know who sells what :)

ashaw1
25-Mar-08, 14:52
That is certainly on my list. My current chocolate fountain business already has an award winning website and as the new shop will incorporate my existing business i will be having the website amended! (in time)

Angel
26-Mar-08, 00:36
I wish you all the best in this your new venture...

Hugs'n'stuff

lelebo
26-Mar-08, 21:06
A great idea and much needed. I'm getting married in December so it'll be great to have somewhere local. Not so sure about the Monsoon dresses though because they do have a website and there's a monsoon in inverness - more unique dresses and second hand - great idea!! I'll be up to visit :D I'm looking for cocktail dress length so away from the typical would be good ;)

nicnak
26-Mar-08, 21:14
good luck and wishes for the new business venture I am sure with your enthusiasm and hard work it will be a great success, I will certainly call on you to wish you well personally, even though its a wee bit late for a wedding dress for myself!

lady penelope
26-Mar-08, 23:53
Unique dresses and stationary for humanist and civil ceremonies and wind proof venues!:)

ashaw1
16-Apr-08, 20:57
Just wanted to say thank you for all the ideas and well wishes for my new business venture. The shop at 2 Dempster Street, Wick will hopefully be opening at the beginning of June. We will be stocking reasonably priced wedding dresses, bridesmaid/prom dresses and also quality childrens party dresses. My current chocolate fountain business will also be incorporated into the shop along with other wedding based products. So if you are passing please feel free to drop in even if it's just for a nosey. I will look forward to seeing you! And again a big thank you for your input.

lelebo
17-Apr-08, 14:03
is it the underwear shop you'll be replacing - that would be a real shame although your shop sounds fantastic too....if it is, could you not incorporate the two of them......?

Bradcon
17-Apr-08, 15:17
I will be looking for a dress for my 7 year old to wear to her Uncle's wedding in July. Will you be stocking dresses suitable for special occassions?

ashaw1
17-Apr-08, 16:09
is it the underwear shop you'll be replacing - that would be a real shame although your shop sounds fantastic too....if it is, could you not incorporate the two of them......?
No it's not the underwear shop, that is still there. It's the same side of the road but further up towards Argyle Square, it used to be Body Beautiful.

ashaw1
17-Apr-08, 16:11
I will be looking for a dress for my 7 year old to wear to her Uncle's wedding in July. Will you be stocking dresses suitable for special occassions?
Yes! I have some lovely childrens formal dresses from age 12 months up.

the_count
17-Apr-08, 16:50
have sent you a private message with some thoughts/ideas please feel free to message me back.:)

christina
17-Apr-08, 22:45
Thats great news :) Im getting married in October 2009. So I will make sure I come a look when your shop opens hopefully bring some business your way. At last a bridal shop in Caithness there is definately a need for one oh I cant wait till start trying dresses on so be aware:lol:.

lelebo
18-Apr-08, 14:44
yay!!! now I'm really excited lingerie at one end of the road and bridal wear at the other with a flower shop in the middle .......... could it get any better :D Well done on such a fab idea and the very best of luck. The sooner the better for me - wedding in december and I want to get my dress bought and out the way ;) x

carasmam
18-Apr-08, 20:37
Get the Chinese takeaway to do a buffet in the T.A hall and the wedding is sorted out in one street :Razz

dirdyweeker
28-Apr-08, 23:06
Noticed bridal wear in your shop window. Are you open now or just getting the place organised?

joxville
28-Apr-08, 23:26

£16,000 for the 'average' wedding-I think mine cost about £800. It all depends on how extravagant you want to be. Mind you, I got married in Davidson's Lane Registry Office and that only cost £31. I'm divorced now but you know what they say,"you get what you pay for":)

Good luck in your venture, I'm sure you'll be successful-until Tesco move into the bridal market.

ashaw1
29-Apr-08, 08:29
Noticed bridal wear in your shop window. Are you open now or just getting the place organised?
Just getting organised right now but wanted to get a couple of dresses in the windows just to give people an idea of the kind of dresses we will be stocking. Hoping to open in June.

tracy x
29-Apr-08, 14:52
good luck, good luck, good luck x
i had a gift and interiors shop in Kent until i moved to Caithness eight months ago, so i know what hard work it is to set up a shop and run it well.
if i can help in any way just shout x
tracy x

dirdyweeker
29-Apr-08, 18:48
Just getting organised right now but wanted to get a couple of dresses in the windows just to give people an idea of the kind of dresses we will be stocking. Hoping to open in June.

will look forward to a wee gander round.....not that I am planning on getting married again!
All the best for June.:D

thejudd
02-May-08, 01:39
Hi ya sent you a private message hope you will be insterested

Kevin Milkins
02-May-08, 02:00
£16,000 for the 'average' wedding-I think mine cost about £800. It all depends on how extravagant you want to be. Mind you, I got married in Davidson's Lane Registry Office and that only cost £31. I'm divorced now but you know what they say,"you get what you pay for":)

Good luck in your venture, I'm sure you'll be successful-until Tesco move into the bridal market.

My sister gave me £20 to get married. We paid £6 for a ring from a second hand shop and married in a registary office on the second of December 1972.All the family chipped in to help as I was only just 16 at the time and we had a great day. The reason for getting maried is 35 years old today and I wont pretend it's been easy ,but wifie still has her second hand ring and I am sure we got our prioritys right.

nicnic74
02-May-08, 07:25
Im getting married in october hav my own dress & my bridesmaid dresses but iv still to get my flowergirl dresses but am trying to leave getting them to nearer the time as my girls are growing so quickly, will you have flowergirls dresses as i would rather by local instead of having to trail them all the way to inverness to try & get them.

Best of luck to you in your new venture

ashaw1
02-May-08, 12:52
Yes i have some really nice ones. If you give me an idea of the size and colour scheme you are looking for i can keep an eye out as my stock is updated weekly.

Thumper
02-May-08, 17:48
Drove past the shop today for a wee look,the dress in the window is stunning! x

ashaw1
02-May-08, 21:52
Drove past the shop today for a wee look,the dress in the window is stunning! x
Thanks for that! It's funny how an item of clothing looks so different when it's taken off the hanger and put on a mannequin as the dress actually looked rather plain when it was hanging in the shop.

Thumper
02-May-08, 23:09
It looked great in the window....even made me think twice about getting married again lol x

leggyweggy
02-May-08, 23:15
Thumper the dresses are stunning and what do you mean it made you think twice about getting married? thought it was 3rd time lucky for you!! (joking)

You think you could get me a bridesmaid dress but it has to be black!! xx

Thumper
02-May-08, 23:17
leggyweggy...dream on...I told you I am not going for a 3rd time...no matter what you look like in a bridesmaids dress ;) x

leggyweggy
02-May-08, 23:22
Always wanted to be a bridesmaid, im sure that nice lady who has the shop could find the perfect dress in black for me! x

ashaw1
03-May-08, 07:44
I do have a nice black beaded one actually!

BRIE
03-May-08, 09:13
what age do your childrens party dresses go up to?

ashaw1
03-May-08, 14:25
The dresses start from around 12 months right up to adult. If there something particular you were looking for just let me know and i will see what i can find if i don't have anything suitable in stock.

ashaw1
06-May-08, 07:12
Just wanted to let you know that i have set up a Bebo for the shop under the shops new name 'Indulgence Bridal'. Will be trying to keep it up to date though it might be a little difficult after the shop opens on 7th June. Feel free to stop by and say hello!

Thumper
06-May-08, 15:02
Shsshh! ashaw dont tell leggyweggy about the bebo pics...she will be at me again to be a bridesmaid [lol] Had a look at them and they are beautiful dresses!x