PDA

View Full Version : Heavy-weight Boxing champions

TBH
18-Mar-08, 23:28
Who has the better record: The one that can claim to be six times world heavy-weight champion or the one that can claim to be the champion for say six consecutive years? I would say that although the six times champion sounds better he would obviously have lost it 5 times so the consecutive champ gets my vote . Trivial thread I know but I am bored so.:p

DeHaviLand
18-Mar-08, 23:43
Not necessarily. He may have been stripped of his title for not making a statutory defence, or he may have gained titles then moved up the weights.

TBH
18-Mar-08, 23:46
Not necessarily. He may have been stripped of his title for not making a statutory defence, or he may have gained titles then moved up the weights.
Sorry but I should have made it clear that I meant in this instance, heavyweight champs. I have changed the thread title.

DeHaviLand
18-Mar-08, 23:49
Then the first part of my reply still stands:D

TBH
18-Mar-08, 23:54
Then the first part of my reply still stands:DBut not 5 times surely?

DeHaviLand
19-Mar-08, 00:12
Why not? Theoretically?

TBH
19-Mar-08, 00:26
Why not? Theoretically?Possible but not very likely.:eek:

celtic 302
20-Mar-08, 01:34
seeing as there is so many organistations, like WBO and WBA etc, he could be six different boxing champs at same time... just an idea...

Boozeburglar
20-Mar-08, 02:05
There is only one man who encapsulates all I ever saw in boxing, and sadly that is Ali.

Truly The Greatest

I have a lot of time for Lennox Lewis as well, for his conduct outside the ring.

:)

TBH
20-Mar-08, 02:14
There is only one man who encapsulates all I ever saw in boxing, and sadly that is Ali.

Truly The Greatest

I have a lot of time for Lennox Lewis as well, for his conduct outside the ring.

:)Good call but I'd stick to Joe Louis who held the heavyweight title for over 11 years and won 25 defences of his title.

Boozeburglar
20-Mar-08, 02:43
Well if you add the time Ali was banned (and we still recognised him) he would have been on a par.

To me he was the greatest because of his demeanour as a man, not just as a boxer.

It takes more than just winning in sport, I feel.

Take Schumacher.

He is undoubtedly one of the greatest drivers in history.

However, Senna was one of the Greatest men.

:)