Poultney lad
18-Mar-08, 23:03
thats what we need up here, hope it comes soon

Julia
18-Mar-08, 23:44
Now we can go on holiday to Thurso ;)

bekisman
19-Mar-08, 00:11
You sure? this shows new ones up to November?

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/new_hotels/

bky
19-Mar-08, 08:44
From the P&J Webpage - Thurso is one of the sites they are looking at
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/542346

gollach
19-Mar-08, 09:14
First Wetherspoons and now Travelodge. That's some crystal ball you've got, Big A. ;)

Flair
19-Mar-08, 09:50
You can't beat a travellodge. Their bathrooms are brilliant; great big, fluffy, fleecy towels. I can hardly close my suitcase. ;)

buggyracer
19-Mar-08, 10:11
source BigA?

BIG A
19-Mar-08, 10:36
source BigA?

The Press and Journal and a Travel Lodge Press Release to the stock market:D

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-08, 11:32
Just wondered if all the hotels in Thurso are at full capacity that we need a Travel Lodge?? ......or are they much more expensive than a Travel Lodge?

Personally don't care much for Travel Lodge...prefer Holiday Inn Express or Travel Inn if I can find one. Any one tried Inn Keeper's Lodge ....pretty good too, I've found them to be cheaper than all the rest with a complimentary buffet breakfast....:Razz

bekisman
19-Mar-08, 11:44
Many thanks to ex-Councillor Saxon, and others.. (you remember; they were Councillors who voted against ASDA going to Pennyland..)

Anyway a bit from The Highland Council, Planning, Development, Europe & Tourism Committee; 16 August 2006. Ref 06/00038/OUTCA.

Mr Mooney [Senior/Principal Planner] indicated that the application was contrary to the Caithness Local Plan which allocated a site of 1.2 ha for a hotel.
Councillor Saxon: 'Referring to the indicative plan, the proposed size of the store would be twice the size of the hotel site '
Councillor Flear 'and he stated that any hotel to be built on site would not be single storey. '
Cllr MacKay 'referred to the Local Plan which states clearly that only a hotel and a play area are acceptable. '
Mr Backovic [ASDA] 'He commented that in the 4-5 years since the application site was allocated for a hotel use, none had been forthcoming.'
Sooo.. Seeing that ASDA ain't coming to Pennyland where oh where can Travelodge go? what sites are earmarked in Thurso for an hotel? hmmm. think.. I know! how about Pennyland? Seems there's no problem there whatsoever! Usually about three stories high, windows in all directions, comings and goings at all hours; great!
Bring on the petition.. oh no, that's not needed as the site was reserved for a hotel anyway...
So hopefully in an ideal world; ASDA buys Somerfield in Wick and builds at the Mart and Travelodge on Pennyland, and JDWetherspoon..
Wonder what will happen....

Fluff
19-Mar-08, 18:24
I am not a huge fan of Travel lodge, i prefer premier travel inn but i will admit if there was one, i would probably stay there. The hotels in Thurso are quite pricey and hard to get a price for sometimes (no website, or not very clear)

quirbal
19-Mar-08, 18:30
My experience with travelodge is that its not very good at all.

dogman
19-Mar-08, 18:59
cant wait. somewhere to sleep when the wife kicks me out

Buttercup
19-Mar-08, 19:35
Many thanks to ex-Councillor Saxon, and others.. (you remember; they were Councillors who voted against ASDA going to Pennyland..)

Anyway a bit from The Highland Council, Planning, Development, Europe & Tourism Committee; 16 August 2006. Ref 06/00038/OUTCA.

Mr Mooney [Senior/Principal Planner] indicated that the application was contrary to the Caithness Local Plan which allocated a site of 1.2 ha for a hotel.
Councillor Saxon: 'Referring to the indicative plan, the proposed size of the store would be twice the size of the hotel site '
Councillor Flear 'and he stated that any hotel to be built on site would not be single storey. '
Cllr MacKay 'referred to the Local Plan which states clearly that only a hotel and a play area are acceptable. '
Mr Backovic [ASDA] 'He commented that in the 4-5 years since the application site was allocated for a hotel use, none had been forthcoming.'
Sooo.. Seeing that ASDA ain't coming to Pennyland where oh where can Travelodge go? what sites are earmarked in Thurso for an hotel? hmmm. think.. I know! how about Pennyland? Seems there's no problem there whatsoever! Usually about three stories high, windows in all directions, comings and goings at all hours; great!
Bring on the petition.. oh no, that's not needed as the site was reserved for a hotel anyway...
So hopefully in an ideal world; ASDA buys Somerfield in Wick and builds at the Mart and Travelodge on Pennyland, and JDWetherspoon..

Don't know about everyone else but I for one would far prefer a supermarket on my doorstep to an hotel. At least I'd make use of the supermarket. :lol:

Angel
19-Mar-08, 23:20
How mental are the planning... or how about who is taking who out to dinner... The Travelodge would be better Near the station... and Pennyland for Asda. The station road junction is a nightmare as it is... with the school and collage... Asda's all day shopping will add more traffic than Travelodge...

Just a thought....

Loch not Lock
19-Mar-08, 23:33
How mental are the planning... or how about who is taking who out to dinner... The Travelodge would be better Near the station... and Pennyland for Asda. The station road junction is a nightmare as it is... with the school and collage... Asda's all day shopping will add more traffic than Travelodge...

Just a thought....

That makes sense, Angel, it's just that the Caithness Council, or should I say Wick council, tend to balls everything up where Thurso is concerned.
I wonder why?;)

Countryman
20-Mar-08, 14:06
Flair

Don't know what Travelodge you stopped at but I would prefer to take my own

Flair
20-Mar-08, 20:40
Well sometimes you just get lucky. ;)

rockchick
20-Mar-08, 21:15
While I appreciate Travelodge are not as fancy as some hotels, if you're travelling with a family they are a godsend. Their family rooms, at the same price as a regular room, make holiday stops with kids a pleasure. The rooms are basic, but they are usually clean and reasonably well appointed. Just bring your own hairdryer!

Also, when they have their discount rooms, they just can't be beat. We once had an 8 night holiday in downtown London, for an unbelievably low £80 (that's for all 8 nights) when Travelodge started their £10-a-night deal.

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 22:52
Thurso?!

Aren't travellodges based in cities, not small towns at the very north of Scotland! Lol.

escobarloblob
20-Mar-08, 22:58
be cheaper than a taxi if get the £19 a night rooms

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 23:04
We payed £50 to stay one night there once.

quirbal
21-Mar-08, 00:35
That makes sense, Angel, it's just that the Caithness Council, or should I say Wick council, tend to balls everything up where Thurso is concerned.
I wonder why?;)

Nah, Thurso can do it for themselves, they don't need help from Wick - get your own house in order first before you have a dig at the Wickers!

Max
21-Mar-08, 12:41

:) Must admit I thought at the time people that live at Pennyland would be better with Asda than a hotel - I suppose the objectors just thought a hotel would never be built there (maybe it won't) but if I was the ower of the land at Pennyland I would certainly be looking at all my options!

Loch not Lock
21-Mar-08, 14:45
Nah, Thurso can do it for themselves, they don't need help from Wick - get your own house in order first before you have a dig at the Wickers!

Are you biased,quirbal? You rather look like Weeker.

BIG A
07-Apr-08, 20:12
Travel Lodge hope to Build a new Lodge in Wick:lol: later this year

golach
07-Apr-08, 20:14
Travel Lodge hope to Build a new Lodge in Wick:lol: later this year
I thought there was already a Lodge in Wick.