PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck team Mini-Tek Wick High

Alice in Blunderland
18-Mar-08, 21:04
May I just say the very best of luck to team Mini-Tek from Wick High who were in Strathpeffer today competing for a place in the last six of the ICT Hothouse challenge .

They find out tomorrow if they make it to the final six. They were competing against sixteen other teams . Originally there were one hundred and seventy teams from all over Scotland.

WELL DONE for getting this far. :D

Not bad eh considering they are being taught in a 'dump' . ;)

Alice in Blunderland
19-Mar-08, 09:40
Hope the results are good for you kids I know you find out today. :D

Come on fellow orgers I thought you would be rooting for these kids as well they are watching this post on the org you know ;)

This is truly a great achievement for these kids its the furthest any team from this area have got what a result.

Venture
19-Mar-08, 09:54
Hope the results are good for you kids I know you find out today. :D

Come on fellow orgers I thought you would be rooting for these kids as well they are watching this post on the org you know ;)

This is truly a great achievement for these kids its the furthest any team from this area have got what a result.

Totally agree with you Alice these kids have to be commended for getting so far. We might be hearing a lot of negative things about the school at the moment but lets not forget that's only the building. The pupils have a multitude of talent in all areas and are a credit to the school. Hope they get a good result today.

rob murray
19-Mar-08, 11:26
Totally agree with you Alice these kids have to be commended for getting so far. We might be hearing a lot of negative things about the school at the moment but lets not forget that's only the building. The pupils have a multitude of talent in all areas and are a credit to the school. Hope they get a good result today.

The Mini Tek team are through to the Hot House final. This years final will incude teams from Nairn, Fortrose, Fort William, Keith and of course Wick. This is the first time that a team from Wick High have reached the final stages of what is undoubtably Scotlands top school technology enterprise competition. Very well done to all the team, they did their school and community proud yesterday.

Alice in Blunderland
19-Mar-08, 14:30
BBBBUUUMMMPPP up to the top again well done kids. You have done so well enjoy your next trip away and I hope you win if not enjoy the experience.

Might I say if this had been posted under high school kids run riot I bet there would have been a lot more comments or views than there have been so far. :roll:

Shame on us all praise where praise is due these kids have done an excellent job and have represented Wick High and the community well and not many people have so far even passed so much as a well done.

On the other hand if they had rioted in the hotel in Strathpeffer there would have been a few pages of comments by now or a few more views. I may be wrong but somehow I dont think so. :(

wee sparkle
19-Mar-08, 14:55
Thanks guys:D
It was nerve-racking but we made it through!
Yeah, support from the community is much appreciated, when its given.
I think my mums right though (alice), had this been posted under a different heading we'd have had more views and more posts.

To be in the top 6 out of over 150 teams is something we are surely allowed to gloat about!:lol: x x

Blondie
19-Mar-08, 15:19
You've done really well kids. Well Done! You should be very proud!

dirdyweeker
19-Mar-08, 15:31
Well done team! The surroundings do not affect the talent that is in the school, that's for sure!

Sapphire2803
19-Mar-08, 15:47
Well done kids :)
and good luck for the finals!
xx

footie chick
19-Mar-08, 16:58
Well done best of luck for the final.

weeboyagee
20-Mar-08, 18:50
NINE RESPONSES! MISERABLE!! DOWN RIGHT MISERABLE!!! :mad: If they HAD trashed the hotel as AIB refers to and brought disgrace on the county there would have been pages and hundreds of shouts of disgust, abhorance and shame.

There is another thread on here where I referred to this very point - lethargic with praise, skilled in condemnation - adults can be a disgrace in their ability to endear to the youth.

Well done you kids - you're an absolute credit to your county, community and your family and parents who I am sure are all VERY (and justifiably so) proud of you. Good Luck with the rest of your challenge and although the rest of the org hasn't seen fit to come on here and give you praise ('cause you didn't trash the hotel) I'll bump this to the top until they are sick of me!

Whose next with their praise?

WBG :cool:

Margaret M.
20-Mar-08, 18:53
Way to go team Wick High!! I wish you much luck in the final.

M.Funkenstein
20-Mar-08, 20:07
Well done Laura!!!

and the other lot

Venture
20-Mar-08, 20:15
NINE RESPONSES! MISERABLE!! DOWN RIGHT MISERABLE!!! :mad: If they HAD trashed the hotel as AIB refers to and brought disgrace on the county there would have been pages and hundreds of shouts of disgust, abhorance and shame.

There is another thread on here where I referred to this very point - lethargic with praise, skilled in condemnation - adults can be a disgrace in their ability to endear to the youth.

Well done you kids - your an absolute credit to your county, community and your family and parents who I am sure are all VERY (and justifiably so) proud of you. Good Luck with the rest of your challenge and although the rest of the org hasn't seen fit to come on here and give you praise ('cause you didn't trash the hotel) I'll bump this to the top until they are sick of me!

Whose next with their praise?

You're right WBG it is a disgrace how the majority of people who view this board can't even be bothered to give a bit of praise to this talented group. How long would it take to put down a few words and show the kids that fellow Caithnessians are proud of what they have achieved. Its the same old story they're far more interested in replying to threads about flags being half way up or half way down and other ridiculous subjects or its a case of they don't know them so they're not interested. With over 140 views only a handful have responded. Maybe if they had had "Spangles" tatooed across their foreheads and their ears pierced they would have had a better response.

Good Luck in the Final. Whether you win or not you've done yourselves and your school proud.

M.Funkenstein
20-Mar-08, 20:23
Yeahhhhh

When a topic about a possible snow warning get's more replies than this...it's a sad state of affairs

wee sparkle
20-Mar-08, 20:34
I agree with the fact that snow seems to generate more interest than the school team making it to the final.

However it is nice to see that others share the same view as us....that it looks really bad when other threads about how Wick High is a "dump", or about the terrible youth of today, have more views and LOTS more replies than a thread which contains something positive about wick high and its pupils.:(

Me and the rest of the team are absolutely delighted and Thanks for the support from those of you who actually bothered to reply:D

x x

ocd
20-Mar-08, 21:32
Well done WHS team, you are a credit to your school (even thought its been branded a dump!)

As previous posters have stated it is an utter disgrace that this thread hasn't even managed to get up to 2 pages yet! Very true that if you guys had gone away and disgraced the school we would probably be on about page 4!!! Sometimes the forums seem to focus on negative issues and forget about the positive side of Caithness!

You guys should be very proud of getting this far in the competition! Best of luck with the next round. :)

Elenna
21-Mar-08, 01:13
I was just reading about this on the Org front page. :) Congratulations to the team! Well done to you all, and best of luck for the final (I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, even though its a bit hard to type that way ;) )

Moi x
21-Mar-08, 01:37
Congratulations to the team!

Actions speak louder than words but words help, especially words from adults.

Moi x

weeboyagee
21-Mar-08, 09:13
Keep it going folks - this is more like the response that these kids would like and that we need to be giving - well done - there's lots more out there who appreciate the work of the youth - all you need to do is "say" that you do, Moi - you were bang on there!

canuck
21-Mar-08, 09:42
Congratulations Team! And good luck with the next round of competition.

When you create these 'parents walk on air' days you make the rest of the adult population feel great too.

Anji
21-Mar-08, 16:25
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Anji
21-Mar-08, 16:27
Now you can see why I don't post very often!
What I was trying to say was, "Well done, we're proud of you."

Alice in Blunderland
21-Mar-08, 21:34
Nice to see the kids get a mention in the Groat and it wasnt in the court section.....:lol:

Venture
21-Mar-08, 23:10
Nice to see the kids get a mention in the Groat and it wasnt in the court section.....:lol:

Alice you're bad....but I like it.[lol]

weeboyagee
22-Mar-08, 02:14
And UP we go again - this org will learn - these are kids that have done us proud and we will get them beyond 2 pages of credit - good grief - we have pages and pages of utter drivel on here and we cannot create the same of praise - unless of course the masses have simply by-passed the titles of the threads and though "boring" and not even logged on to this - well if we don't have more then 3 pages by tomorrow we can sort that!

Moi x
22-Mar-08, 02:37
Yes, let's keep these kids at the top, they deserve it.

Let's also give credit to these kids (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.caithness.org/fpb/2008/march/gallery.php?gallery=8).

Moi x

weeboyagee
22-Mar-08, 02:39
Yip - saw them in the paper this morning and thought the exact same thing and also though "Hey! .... bet someone will have started a thread to congratulate them on the org" erm,..... wot an eejit I am! But this one will do for them as well ! WELL DONE!

I will start PM'ing everyone soon...... the lesson is there for the learning!

canuck
22-Mar-08, 10:21
Congratulations Team! Good luck with the next round of competition.

ginajade
22-Mar-08, 13:34
Well done folks.:D

Venture
22-Mar-08, 16:20
Thanks guys:D
It was nerve-racking but we made it through!
Yeah, support from the community is much appreciated, when its given.
I think my mums right though (alice), had this been posted under a different heading we'd have had more views and more posts.

To be in the top 6 out of over 150 teams is something we are surely allowed to gloat about!:lol: x x

Too right you are sparkle. Why don't you tell us on here what you actually had to do in the competition and will it be the same for the final. I for one would like to know.

Moira
22-Mar-08, 19:13
Thanks guys ..........

wee sparkle - you have every right to be proud of your achievement. Very well done to you and the lads and good luck for the final!

Like Venture, I would be interested to hear about what was involved, but only if it doesn't mean you giving away any "secrets", which you may be saving for the final. :D

dousslesh
22-Mar-08, 19:42
Well done guys -You should be proud of yourselves . Suggest someone with more background information posts this info in a more prominent position on Caithness.org : I'm sure more people would like to know about your sucess and give you due credit !!

Moira
22-Mar-08, 19:59
dousslesh - here is the link to the article which appeared on the Caithness.org front-page on 19 March:-
http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=827

Alice in Blunderland
22-Mar-08, 21:33
Too right you are sparkle. Why don't you tell us on here what you actually had to do in the competition and will it be the same for the final. I for one would like to know.

I can tell you that they have spent many weekends and evenings.................. wait for it...................no not hanging round the streets at night but slogging over their idea and doing their research planning and pitching for this event. ;)

I am sure wee sparkle will be able to give you more info when she has a momment shes off working in Tescos to earn her pocket money and get hands on experience in the retail sector............oh and earning her pocket money as I am one of those mums who dont do pocket money now thats another thread. :lol:

unicorn
22-Mar-08, 21:43
Well done kids, what a great achievement :D

Venture
24-Mar-08, 21:24
I can tell you that they have spent many weekends and evenings.................. wait for it...................no not hanging round the streets at night but slogging over their idea and doing their research planning and pitching for this event. ;)

I am sure wee sparkle will be able to give you more info when she has a momment shes off working in Tescos to earn her pocket money and get hands on experience in the retail sector............oh and earning her pocket money as I am one of those mums who dont do pocket money now thats another thread. :lol:
We look forward to wee sparkle giving us some info. when she's free.

Bobinovich
24-Mar-08, 21:38
Full details of the whole competition can be found in the Royal Navy section of the Young Engineers website (http://www.youngeng.org/index.asp?page=68).

Personal congratulations go out to the Schottle Sharks from Thurso High - I believe the 2nd year running for some (if not all) of them!

Venture
24-Mar-08, 21:46
Full details of the whole competition can be found in the Royal Navy section of the Young Engineers website (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.youngeng.org/index.asp?page=68).

Personal congratulations go out to the Schottle Sharks from Thurso High - I believe the 2nd year running for some (if not all) of them!

I might be wrong but I don't think this is the same competition that Wick won through to the final in.

Bobinovich
24-Mar-08, 22:01
Ooops, sorry! Was a case of skimming through the last page of posts, seeing the link for the photos for the Young Engineers, and thought the thread had developed to include them in the Good luck message.

Not to worry - good luck to all youths representing the area.

wee sparkle
27-Mar-08, 22:08
Hey guys :D

Me and the team are delighted at the amount of people showing support! Its great!

Basically in the competition we have to make a presentation of our idea. We have to research the technologies inside it and also do market research. We have to be able to convince the judges that we know our stuff and that we're putting in the effort for our product. In this final stage im not exactly sure what we have to do, but i know that we have yet another presentation to prepare, taking onboard the advice offered to us by the judges, and i think we will probably be asked questions aswell. So its quite alot of work to prepare but we'll get there!:lol:

I'll let you know how were doing lol i know our meetings are starting up soon again!

Wee Sparkle

xxx

Venture
27-Mar-08, 23:30
Hey guys :D

Me and the team are delighted at the amount of people showing support! Its great!

Basically in the competition we have to make a presentation of our idea. We have to research the technologies inside it and also do market research. We have to be able to convince the judges that we know our stuff and that we're putting in the effort for our product. In this final stage im not exactly sure what we have to do, but i know that we have yet another presentation to prepare, taking onboard the advice offered to us by the judges, and i think we will probably be asked questions aswell. So its quite alot of work to prepare but we'll get there!:lol:

I'll let you know how were doing lol i know our meetings are starting up soon again!

Wee Sparkle

xxx

Thanks for the info. wee sparkle. Keep us informed of your progress. Remember as well to put something on the org a few days before you go so as everyone can wish you luck.

wee sparkle
28-Mar-08, 16:09
No probs i'l remember to do that! lol For now is just exam revision but its back to the challenge almost straight after!:lol:

Wee Sparkle;)