PDA

View Full Version : scattering ashes

cuddlepop
18-Mar-08, 17:57
This doesnt have to be a morbid thread so if it offends stop reading now.

Mums ashes were to be scattered in the garden of remembrence but one of my brothers was against this.Even when we told him thats where dads where.
As he initially wanted mum buried so he could visit her grave we,ve agreed that he can pick a nice spot where we all can visit.
There is a viewpoint at the top of Largs that has views right across to Millport,Arran,rothesay and beyond.If you stretch you neck round you can see the tip of the Inverkip powerstation,which is where dad worked.
Saturday will be sad but beautiful at the same time.

Where would you like your ashes scattered or are you for getting buried?

Me I'll probably join mum.:)

Ash
18-Mar-08, 18:01
i think i would like my children to chose where im scattered whether its on a grave with a loved one or somewhere that reminds them of me id be happy

justine
18-Mar-08, 18:02
me and my oh want our ashes put together in an urn and so we can be scattered together...The kids know what we want and have agreed....
Where, thats the problem..but it will be somewhere with a heck of a view.....:lol:

cuddlepop
18-Mar-08, 18:05
What we found as brothers and sister is that we couldnt agree right away and as mum hadnt expressed her wishes beforehand we werent sure.
Wasnt impressed with the 15minute service,it felt so rushed ,thats something else to think about.

percy toboggan
18-Mar-08, 18:08
Camusdarach Beach, near Morar...approaching midnight in midsummer..last vestige of daylight disappearing behind the Cuillins of Skye....a gentle breeze...a hired piper...a lament....not that I've thought about it much.

Either that or the council tip.

justine
18-Mar-08, 18:09
What we found as brothers and sister is that we couldnt agree right away and as mum hadnt expressed her wishes beforehand we werent sure.
Wasnt impressed with the 15minute service,it felt so rushed ,thats something else to think about.

You know i have to agree. I know this is not quite the same thing but we got married in a registry office as i am not religious, and it lasted 1/2 hr..Felt very impersonal and i felt like we had just been on a conveyor belt, as we were walking out of the room and the next couple were already entering the room...Why is it that funerals and weddings seem to be less personal, sad time for you and my thoughts are with you...

I am sure you will come across the best place for your mum.....

cuddlepop
18-Mar-08, 18:15
Camusdarach Beach, near Morar...approaching midnight in midsummer..last vestige of daylight disappearing behind the Cuillins of Skye....a gentle breeze...a hired piper...a lament....not that I've thought about it much.

Percy I can see your poor family scattering you a wee bit here and a wee bit there.;)

linkside
18-Mar-08, 19:17
I have asked my sons to take me up a Munro (a hill over 3000 feet, I'm a "bagger") and let me drift on the winds.

obiron
18-Mar-08, 19:31
ideally id like to be scattered at ibrox park but failing that space would be good.

the second coming
18-Mar-08, 19:39
I always wanted to be scattered from a munro to force the wife up a hill but now she's been up a few I've had to have a re-think. Now I fancy being buried in the most biodegradable fashion possible as I can be recycled into the earth rather than simply cremated.

At the end of the day I won't be too worried about it for obvious reasons so whatever my family's wishes are will be good enough for me.

Also want whatever organs to be donated except my eyes.

It can be a sad time but life should be celebrated and good times remembered.

Julia
18-Mar-08, 20:14
My wishes are stated in my Will just so there are will be no confusion, I want cremated and my ashes buried with my daughter.

moureen
18-Mar-08, 21:13
Phillips ashes are scattered on a beatiful hill over looking Arnisdale and in Skerray cematery with his Granda and some with me at home.We could not bear to have him buried as he alway's loved the out doors.As for me I am going with my beloved son scattered in the wind, free as a bird.

cuddlepop
18-Mar-08, 21:18
Phillips ashes are scattered on a beatiful hill over looking Arnisdale and in Skerray cematery with his Granda and some with me at home.We could not bear to have him buried as he alway's loved the out doors.As for me I am going with my beloved son scattered in the wind, free as a bird.

That sounds so peacefull.I love the thought of eventually flying free in the wind too.

Dusty
18-Mar-08, 21:21
I want my ashes scattered on the living room carpet so that I can annoy the wife one last time. :)

Seriously, I don't think I will be too bothered about the ins and outs come the time.

Fran
19-Mar-08, 03:22
Skerray cemetry is in a lovely location, my family are buried there. Me..I will join himself in wick cemetry, so will the dog. Talking of himself, his picture is on a display in reception of caithness general hospital. i got such a schock when i saw it but it was nice that they used his picture there, he would have liked that. Originally it was in an exhibition in the hospice at Inverness but the exhibition is in wick now.

Lolabelle
19-Mar-08, 07:21

I was going to give you a good rep for this, as it gave me a much needed giggle when I read it, but apparently I have to spread the love around a bit.

Green Square > so here is a good rep for you PT! [lol]

Edit
As for my ashes, I don't really know, whatever, but I do want to be cremated.
I have told Dave that I am going to have him taxidermed, or squished into a diamond.

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-08, 12:01

......councils being councils I dread to think how much they would CHARGE for that Percy[lol]

cuddlepop
19-Mar-08, 21:37
I thought it was an unusual request that my brother made to bury mums ashes.It seems like its not that unusual.

I'd like to cremate my dogs when the time comes but dont think I'll be able to afford it.:(

dook
19-Mar-08, 21:42
I thought it was an unusual request that my brother made to bury mums ashes.It seems like its not that unusual.

I'd like to cremate my dogs when the time comes but dont think I'll be able to afford it.:(

Have to be careful cremating dogs. They go woof.

Ricco
19-Mar-08, 21:44
We scattered my father's ashes in daffodil valley in Noth Yorkshire, where he wanted it done. I also designed a brass plaque and had two made by Timpsons (yes, the shoe repair people) - nice job.

Mine? I would really like them scattered off Holburn Head, overlooking the sea.

blowfish
19-Mar-08, 21:45
I have always wanted to have my ashes scattered in Loch Dhubh but i'm scared of drowning.

I think i would like then to get scattered up Morven..on second thoughts I suffer from vertigo.

I think i'll just go for the wooden box. though the confined space may be an issue

young_fishin_neep
20-Mar-08, 02:19
id like to be cremated but not quite sure were i want to be scatterd yet, somewere with a nice veiw and a good memory would be perfect for me.

as for cremating dogs, we had our last two thats passed away cremated and they sit on the bookshelf outside my bedroom so i see them every mornign and every night :)

kazzii xxxxx

honey
20-Mar-08, 10:52
I want half of my ashes scattered somewhere in glasgow that my kids can pick, and the other half up in thurso, maybe at Thurso east

why?? im physically here in glasgow, and i do now think of it as home, but a piece of my heart will always be in thurso..

The Angel Of Death
20-Mar-08, 11:17
I want my ashes scattered on the living room carpet so that I can annoy the wife one last time. :)

Just get them put in a shake and vac container

My maw said she wants hers scattered on reiss beach she has always loved it there but she wants cremated simply because she doesn't want to be cold

Now my paw on the other hand always said don't burn me he hated the idea of being cremated and wanted buried he hated the warmth so wick cemetery it was when the time came

Invader
20-Mar-08, 12:48
I fancied the diamond thing as well, but it costs more than the real thing!
Quite like the idea of the fireworks with ashes in them, would be a nice way to brighten up New Year, always a miserable time for the recently bereaved.
"Right kids, get some Daddy squibs from the cupboard"
Seriously though, I really fancy a trip to the crem on a motorbike hearse - http://www.fasterpastor.com/

followed by the Atlantis artificial reef as seen in the link below.

http://www.myfunkyfuneral.com/glam.php

cuddlepop
20-Mar-08, 13:46
I fancied the diamond thing as well, but it costs more than the real thing!
Quite like the idea of the fireworks with ashes in them, would be a nice way to brighten up New Year, always a miserable time for the recently bereaved.
"Right kids, get some Daddy squibs from the cupboard"
Seriously though, I really fancy a trip to the crem on a motorbike hearse - http://www.fasterpastor.com/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.fasterpastor.com/)

followed by the Atlantis artificial reef as seen in the link below.

http://www.myfunkyfuneral.com/glam.php

Mum would have loved the motorbike hearse.After us kids were born the bike sadly got replaced by a car.
She alwas wanted one last "backy"

domino
21-Mar-08, 21:38
I want to be scattered from the top of Longberry on a windy day

twiglet
21-Mar-08, 22:02
I'd like to be made into fireworks, launched over the sea and be sent off with a bang and a blaze of colour!

Errogie
21-Mar-08, 22:23
All you scatterers of ashes in high and remote places just beware of sudden winds and updrafts.
I helped scatter a friend's ashes off the mountain of his choice just west of Cluny in Glenshiel. We passed around the plastic urn (a bit like something from Lakeland Plastics) and each of us shook a little over the edge of the ridge when an unexpexcted updraft threw my bit back up again into our faces. I can still get that gritty taste!

ExoticQueen
23-Mar-08, 18:34
would love my ashes to just get scattered in the land off the wee folk in ireland never been but i just want too go there and get them too scatter my ashes in one off the lovely bits that are left in ireland.

Casey
23-Mar-08, 21:00
I nearly choked when I saw the title of this thread.

A dozen of us are coming up to Caithness next month to scatter my father-in-law's ashes in Reay. (the place of his birth).

So if you see a crowd of a dozen strangers looking rather suspicious, now you know.

changilass
23-Mar-08, 21:02
Think I would have to have mines scattered at sea, can't wait for some folks to decided to dance on my grave :lol:

lady penelope
25-Mar-08, 23:28
I want to be a red firework and be set off on my birthday. ;)
My OH has a strange, rude request which cannot be repeated on here, but I have agreed to carry his request out :eek:

mccaugm
25-Mar-08, 23:53
I was going to give you a good rep for this, as it gave me a much needed giggle when I read it, but apparently I have to spread the love around a bit.

Green Square > so here is a good rep for you PT! [lol]

Edit
As for my ashes, I don't really know, whatever, but I do want to be cremated.
I have told Dave that I am going to have him taxidermed, or squished into a diamond.

I agree so added some Rep as I want to spread the love on your behalf.:D

I would love to have my ashes scattered in the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris as it is a beautiful place to visit and my husband proposed in Paris in 2002.

wifie
26-Mar-08, 00:08
[quote=percy toboggan;360681]Camusdarach Beach, near Morar...approaching midnight in midsummer..last vestige of daylight disappearing behind the Cuillins of Skye....a gentle breeze...a hired piper...a lament....not that I've thought about it much.

Hey tried to rep you percy but said I could not give rep to same post twice and unless I did it in my sleep I did not do it the first time. Anyway I hugely approve of Morar - you local hero you!!!

percy toboggan
26-Mar-08, 17:29
[quote=percy toboggan;360681]Camusdarach Beach, near Morar...approaching midnight in midsummer..last vestige of daylight disappearing behind the Cuillins of Skye....a gentle breeze...a hired piper...a lament....not that I've thought about it much.

Hey tried to rep you percy but said I could not give rep to same post twice and unless I did it in my sleep I did not do it the first time. Anyway I hugely approve of Morar - you local hero you!!!
Thanks for that Wifie...f/b has registered & much appreciated. We both love Morar...my wife perhaps even more than I. The estuary when the tide is out is a lovely place to walk...those silver sands glinting in occasional sunshine..ahhh I'm transported.

The film was fab and still is.....I watch it now and again and am always enchanted by the light on Camusdarach beach and the island backdrop...truly a wondrous place. We must have about six or seven photos or prints of Eigg & Rhum hung aboot this hoose.

cd1977
26-Mar-08, 17:51
River Plate FC of Argentina have been forced to open their own cemetery for fans ashes (they also sell club coffins).

This was due to so many seeing it as their final honour to be scattered at 'La Bombonera'.

northener
26-Mar-08, 19:30
My friend was a leading authority on the British civil wars in the 17th century.

We fired his ashes out of a full-sized replica of a C17th artillery piece over the battlefield at Naseby, the scene of one of the major conflicts of the war.

Loch not Lock
27-Mar-08, 00:41
I have left instructions in my will to scatter my ashes over the rhubarb in my garden. The potash will promote growth and people will be eating me for years. If there is life beyond I will get amusement of watching them being cannibals!:eek:

northener
27-Mar-08, 10:08
I have always wanted to have my ashes scattered in Loch Dhubh but i'm scared of drowning....

A Blowfish scared of drowning...........?:eek:

brandy
27-Mar-08, 12:22
im going to be planted in the ground.. dont know why but never was too keen on cremation. toms plot is a family plot and theirs room for two more of us.. so see how it goes. Hubby thinks we should have a seprate plot and not infringe on tom but im quite happy to be laid to rest with him. we couldnt be together in life at least we could be in death.. (many years from now of course!)

cuddlepop
27-Mar-08, 17:12
im going to be planted in the ground.. dont know why but never was too keen on cremation. toms plot is a family plot and theirs room for two more of us.. so see how it goes. Hubby thinks we should have a seprate plot and not infringe on tom but im quite happy to be laid to rest with him. we couldnt be together in life at least we could be in death.. (many years from now of course!)
Brandy that such a lovely thought you all together in the one spot.
But like you say not for a very long time.:)