PDA

View Full Version : Truancy query

justine
18-Mar-08, 17:25
Ok this is a long shot...my daughter has just been explaining about a new micro-headphone, that looks like a earing..Apparently it allows the police to contact the truant child and they can call the parents....It is placed on the childs ear and that allows them to be contacted if they leave school...Anyone else heard of this....she goes to wick high.....

Venture
18-Mar-08, 17:37
Ok this is a long shot...my daughter has just been explaining about a new micro-headphone, that looks like a earing..Apparently it allows the police to contact the truant child and they can call the parents....It is placed on the childs ear and that allows them to be contacted if they leave school...Anyone else heard of this....she goes to wick high.....

Are you saying they have them at Wick High or she only heard about it there.

justine
18-Mar-08, 17:39
Are you saying they have them at Wick High or she only heard about it there.

She is telling me that she knows 2 kids that have them already, so i dont know...thats what i am trying to find out..I gather they need parents permission..she is in the class with one of the children....

Whitewater
18-Mar-08, 17:41
Sounds like big Brother is taking over. Are they attempting to have the children fitted with them? It doesn't sound right to me.

TBH
18-Mar-08, 17:42
Dinna worry Justine it is just the government testing how much they can get away with before they implant all our children with microchips, (not the McCain type you understand).

justine
18-Mar-08, 17:46
Dinna worry Justine it is just the government testing how much they can get away with before they implant all our children with microchips, (not the McCain type you understand).

but thats it should we worry..I see the principle of it but it seems like a mad idea. all the kids have to do is take them off, but my daughter is telling me the police are alerted...If anyone hears more on this i would appreciate it.....

TBH
18-Mar-08, 17:51
but thats it should we worry..I see the principle of it but it seems like a mad idea. all the kids have to do is take them off, but my daughter is telling me the police are alerted...If anyone hears more on this i would appreciate it.....Of course you should worry, they are starting with the children first, get them to accept this and then move on to the next step.:eek: I read an article about a shool in america where they are trialing micro-chipping children with the premise that if one goes missing they will be able to locate him/her before they get very far. Sounds like a good Idea but I would still find it hard to agree with.

twiglet
18-Mar-08, 17:57
Justine, never heard about that but you can track your nearest and dearest using their mobile phone. Could be in some children's best interest to keep them safe, if you are wondering where they are or who they are in contact with and they won't account for their whereabouts. Similar have been used on Altzeimers patients to track them down if they go wandering. Chipping kids is a step too far though, I think.

justine
18-Mar-08, 17:57
with you there....I see that the idea to protect children like poor shannon mathews ,would benefit from a scheme like this, but i still would find it hard to deal with, but then i am not having to worry, my kids play truancy and they have to deal with,,,i can ground them for longer than thier school term...

but i am trying to find out if this is a pilot scheme that we have not heard about or is she pulling my leg, which dont sound like her..

justine
18-Mar-08, 18:00
Justine, never heard about that but you can track your nearest and dearest using their mobile phone. Could be in some children's best interest to keep them safe, if you are wondering where they are or who they are in contact with and they won't account for their whereabouts. Similar have been used on Altzeimers patients to track them down if they go wandering. Chipping kids is a step too far though, I think.
Now this is where my kids get stuck...They dont get a mobile until they are over 12,i would rather they go to school without one, i trust my kids to go and looking at there reports they have never been absent other than the authorised ones....Children and mobiles i think is daft, but thats just me...

karia
18-Mar-08, 18:08
Justine, never heard about that but you can track your nearest and dearest using their mobile phone. .

Unfortunately it is wildly inaccurate twiglet.

The body of Police chief Michael Todd was not found until after a lengthy delay caused by his mobile signal sending searchers to the wrong place.

And you can bet he had a top of the range mobile.

Valerie Campbell
18-Mar-08, 20:51

This sounds like TIA from the BBC drama The Last Enemy. I think it would be against civil liberties wouldn't it? Next, children will be implanted with a micro chip when they pop out into the world with a reference code which they'll use until they die. The stuff of nightmares if you ask me. Scary.

golach
18-Mar-08, 20:56
Unfortunately it is wildly inaccurate twiglet.

The body of Police chief Michael Todd was not found until after a lengthy delay caused by his mobile signal sending searchers to the wrong place.

And you can bet he had a top of the range mobile.

Not so wildly inacurate Karia, there are many of similar sites on the Web

http://www.findyourchild.net/

MadPict
18-Mar-08, 21:20
Wonder if they can fit a "Good Behaviour" chip while they're at it?.......

changilass
18-Mar-08, 21:24

Would it not make more sense to simply phone the school and find out rather than speculating on here???

Just a suggestion

MadPict
18-Mar-08, 21:25
Way too much like comon sense that - rumour mill needs some grist...

karia
19-Mar-08, 01:31
Not so wildly inacurate Karia, there are many of similar sites on the Web

http://www.findyourchild.net/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.findyourchild.net/)

The 'results' are wildly inaccurate golach..not the existence of the technology!

Hence the late discovery of the police chiefs body because of botched signals..as I posted.

My OH is currently working with/reviewing this system of location for the Fire brigade and would welcome any input of worth on the subject.

BRIE
19-Mar-08, 11:11
sounds like a good idea if children repeatedly truant. would be a bit like the tagging system, but if its just an earpeice surely the child could just pop it in their locker & still bunk off.

TBH
19-Mar-08, 11:52
sounds like a good idea if children repeatedly truant. would be a bit like the tagging system, but if its just an earpeice surely the child could just pop it in their locker & still bunk off.They might think the poor kid was trapped in their locker.[lol]

honey
19-Mar-08, 13:41
i think this is a good idea, id be quite happy to "chip" my kids (truant or not) if i felt that it made them safer.

look at the wee boy who was dropped of near school and never went on.. he was found murdered not long after... something like this might have helped....

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-08, 15:22
Noticed 4 lads being frog marched up ormlie road back towards the school today by two police officers.