PDA

View Full Version : HELP with Laptop

chamb
16-Mar-08, 23:44
I have bought a second hand laptop and it has come with a wireless card, but we have been trying all night to get it to connect to the internet, I have been on to AOL, and they have tried for 2 hours.

It picks up our wireless network, but when it asks for our network key,I type it in and a box pops up, it says :

"the network password has to be 40bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration. Theese can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexedecimal characters"

So this is where we need help? Anyone

Riffman
17-Mar-08, 02:12
The passcode is the WEP key, which like it says is the 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters or 5 - 13 ascii

The WEP code is usually printed on the wireless box.

Failing that you have to make sure that the router box is not set to create its own WEP key, you may have to set it up to a defined one. Or the problem could be with the laptop wireless settings, the security might be set wrong.

Its hard to tell without more information.

blueivy
17-Mar-08, 17:53
I have bought a second hand laptop and it has come with a wireless card, but we have been trying all night to get it to connect to the internet, I have been on to AOL, and they have tried for 2 hours.

It picks up our wireless network, but when it asks for our network key,I type it in and a box pops up, it says :

"the network password has to be 40bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration. Theese can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexedecimal characters"

So this is where we need help? Anyone

Where did you get the 'network key' from?

Riffman is right, the key is sometimes printed on the router. If not, it can be found in the settings.

chamb
18-Mar-08, 22:59
The passcode is the WEP key, which like it says is the 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters or 5 - 13 ascii

The WEP code is usually printed on the wireless box.

Failing that you have to make sure that the router box is not set to create its own WEP key, you may have to set it up to a defined one. Or the problem could be with the laptop wireless settings, the security might be set wrong.

Its hard to tell without more information.

We have the network key from when we set up the wireless network, I created it, but we are unable to get it to work on my husbands laptop, it works perfect on mine??

blueivy
19-Mar-08, 14:41
We have the network key from when we set up the wireless network, I created it, but we are unable to get it to work on my husbands laptop, it works perfect on mine??

This may seem like a rude question, but I assume if it works okay on your husbands AND that you created the WEP key you know how to setup the key in Windows properly?

The reason I ask is there's no point in taking you through doing that correctly if you know what you're doing.

Without telling me what your key is, how long is it and is it ASCII (ie. simple text) or Hexadecimal (a collect of letters and numbers between 1-9 and A-F)?

Does it also allow you to select which index the key is?