PDA

View Full Version : Sink Hole.

Seabird
16-Mar-08, 14:49
While walking the cliffs to the South of Sarclet Haven i came across what looks like a Sink Hole.
For those that have not seen of heard of sink holes, they are formed when the ground under the surface is washed away by water.
With cliffs this will occur when the sea forms a cave and the roof starts to fall in.
I've only walked the cliffs at Sarclet a few times and may have missed it previously, the hole only being about 2ft 6 inches across and well back from the sea.
How deep ? I wasn't prepared to get that close to find out.
I know dog walkers frequent these cliffs.
So can anyone tell me if this is a new sink hole?

Colin

spurtle
16-Mar-08, 16:12
Is it the hole of touper ( don't knoewif that is right spelling or another one?

Seabird
16-Mar-08, 17:57
Is it the hole of touper ( don't knoewif that is right spelling or another one?

Can't say i've heard that name before or a reference to it in regards to a sink hole.
When i get time i'll have to go and take a closer look, get some pics and try and work out how deep it goes and perhaps put a warning marker up.

weeboyagee
16-Mar-08, 18:29
Hole O' Troupa (troopa) is more how we say it in the village - natural gloup that has been created - try and chuck a stone down it - and listen to how long it takes to get to the bottom. If you ever hear it. We did it once and a not too happy scorrie gave a bit of a scream and came up out of the hole with a not too happy look on it's face!

If Peter MacDonald was here he would answer this one better than me ;)

WBG :cool:

dessie
16-Mar-08, 18:46
if i,m correct they also call holes made by the second world war bombs sink holes.. and there are a few around thrumster.......

south view 7
16-Mar-08, 22:13
Can't say i've heard that name before or a reference to it in regards to a sink hole.
When i get time i'll have to go and take a closer look, get some pics and try and work out how deep it goes and perhaps put a warning marker up.
there was a fence round it for many years,obviously it has rotted away over the years,but i would say it is a sink hole,and there is another one at latheron wheel just south of the harbour.....

Seabird
17-Mar-08, 20:24
there was a fence round it for many years,obviously it has rotted away over the years,but i would say it is a sink hole,and there is another one at latheron wheel just south of the harbour.....

Thanks Southview, i've seen the one at Latheron wheel, that does have a fence. (last time i was there)
The one at Sarclet is in a grassed area and i suspect when the grass grows it wont be so obvious.
You've answered my original question of wether it was a new sink hole.
Many Thanks
Colin

silverfox57
17-Mar-08, 20:45
[quote=weeboyagee;359309]Hole O' Troupa (troopa) is more how we say it in the village - natural gloup that has been created - try and chuck a stone down it - and listen to how long it takes to get to the bottom. If you ever hear it. We did it once and a not too happy scorrie gave a bit of a scream and came up out of the hole with a not too happy look on it's face!

If Peter MacDonald was here he would answer this one better than me ;)

WBG :cool:[/quote as a boy many moons ago,we were warned not to go play near hole,but boys being boys, my brother and myself often went over the fence to chuck stones in and listen to see if we could hear the splash.to think want could have happend if we slipped?my son and brother-in law have canoed in from sea to bottom of hole.think it still has warning notice,

Tighsonas4
17-Mar-08, 22:34
HOLE OF TROUPA
this hole has been there for many more years than anyone can remember. long time ago it was fenced but it rotted and fell into disrepair
the bombs dropped at thrumster was at the dummy drome miles from there
MANY years ago there was a man fell down it and his body was retrieved from the sea and taken out in a fishing basket. it is a dangerous place to investigate as its saucer shaped at the top and if the grass is wet its a death trap. it should have been sign posted long before now
anyone having a look would strongly advise CAUTION. have the man in questions name but think thats irrevalant
regards tony