PDA

View Full Version : Conserving/Wasting Energy

brokencross
16-Mar-08, 09:20
In these days of high energy costs and persistent lectures about switching TV's, DVD's etc OFF-OFF rather than to standby; I understand that bit because electricity is actually being used to keep components "warm".

They also say you shouldn't leave your mobile phone charger plugged in; I thought current had to actually flow to use energy so if the charger is NOT connected to, and charging the phone, where is the current flow and energy use.

I know it won't actually save the planet or lots of money but if I am going to do something I like to know why; so I would be grateful if a boffin type among you, can explain why a phone charger left plugged in, but not attached to the phone, uses electricity. Thank You.

NickInTheNorth
16-Mar-08, 11:35
non boffin response.

If left in does your charger remain warm?

If yes then I believe your first paragraph gives the answer :D

rob16d
16-Mar-08, 13:09
I wanted to know the same thing....why do appliance use energy when switched on at wall....but not in use...eg kettle, microwave (without digital display) etc?

Cinderella's Shoe
16-Mar-08, 13:46
Anything which uses a "wall wart" transformer - like a phone charger - or has a transformer in it before the off switch will continue to use mains electricity in the transformer's primary coil. You've already acknowledged that power loss results in waste heat, which is the main result when an appliance is on standby. Try putting your hand above a plasma TV and see how much heat comes off in standby!

This is not the case with kettles (I would seriously doubt that they use any electricity when not in use) but most appliances these days which need low voltage electricity to function - computers, TVs, phones, printers, some lights, etc - will all use electricity unless switched off at the wall.

Mr_Me19
16-Mar-08, 13:51
I cant remember what website I saw it but there was a video showing someone having a few chargers plugged into an adaptor, which actually produced a voltage because of the potential differences between the metals.

rfr10
16-Mar-08, 14:11
I don't see the point on leaving a TV on standby anyway. I think that's just for lazy people who can't be bothered to move and turn the tv off properly. You're going to end up paying more for your electric bill anyway. If you turn applicances off rather than leaving them on standby, you can actually save a lot of money every year.