PDA

View Full Version : Sea Tours

dirdyweeker
16-Mar-08, 01:38
Noticed the new rigid inflatable boat out in the bay a couple of times today. It is certainly something I would like to try but of course the weather would have to be as nice as it was on Saturday. I noticed yellow oilskins were worn so you wouldn't need to worry about the spray.
Did anyone here have a trip?

webmannie
16-Mar-08, 08:57
Looks like it could be good fun. We need more things like this to help boost the area. Well done to the proprietors

http://www.caithness-seacoast.co.uk (in case folk are wondering what i`m on about)

johndh
16-Mar-08, 10:00
I wish them well. I've done these sort of trips before, and they are really worth it. I hope they do well. :D

John

KCI
16-Mar-08, 10:10
We noticed it yesterday - it looks quite good.
My son has already started asking if he can go on it! :roll:

telfordstar
16-Mar-08, 13:42
I think its a great idea great for the locals and tourists. Im not that keen on boats prefer my feet on dry land but maybe sometime i might give it a go. Maybe:lol:

Seabird
16-Mar-08, 14:12
Is this the Geo tours boat that starts operating this Summer.
If so i did see it doing test runs last summer when it entered the Whalegoe steps Haven.
Managed a good pic of the boat, i'l post it in the photo section if any one is interested.
I might add the reason i was at Whaligoe was because at the time there were 6 Minike Whales off shore and it was unfortunate that the boat crew missed them.
But the opportunity was there and i'm sure will be again this Summer.
I wish the owners all the best for the new season.

rob16d
16-Mar-08, 15:28
Hope things go well with the new business venture!

bekisman
16-Mar-08, 15:38
You don't mean this one do you? (is it the same one?) today's news
Lifeboat rescues marine tourists
A group of sightseers whose boat got into difficulties off Scotland's northernmost coast have been brought safely ashore by lifeboat. The rigid inflatable boat, with 11 people on board, including seven passengers, developed engine trouble in the Pentland Firth at about 1100 GMT. Shetland Coastguard, which co-ordinated the rescue, said the tides in the area were treacherous. It said the boat had been at risk of being swept out to sea. The boat developed engine trouble near the Island of Swona. People visit the area to observe the scenery and marine life. Stromness Lifeboat, which had been on a training exercise in Scapa Flow, was diverted to come to the rescue. It took the passengers on board and towed the disabled boat into John O'Groats.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7299455.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7299455.stm)

Metalattakk
16-Mar-08, 15:46
Nope, that is a different one that operates out of JoG. Caithness Sea Coast operate out of Wick harbour, and don't sail around Swona.

Caithness Seacoast Ltd
16-Mar-08, 22:19
Hi folks

Thanks very much for the kind words and support.
We finally started operations 15th March. As some you have already said the boat has been around for a while doing promotional trips at the same time as crew training.
Our team are very experienced boat people with a wealth of local knowledge and I hope this shows through during our trips.
The support locally has been fantastic and it has amazed us the wealth of knowledge and interesting people in the county helping us in many ways.

We are open for business daily until sunday 6th April. Then between easter and the end of June we will be open for trips and charters on Saturday and Sunday. During the week days (except friday) we will be available for charters only. From the beginning of July to mid September we will resume daily operations.

The boat is extemely stable and purpose built for the job. Our number one focus is passanger safety and comfort. We have two engines for added safety each pushing out 225 bhp, so lots of reserve power. Also we have invested a lot of money on top quality waterproofs and lifejackets. All we ask from the customers is to bring warm clothing and a sense of adventure.
Do not be putoff by high winds as often we experience calm conditions at the cliff base especially during westerlies. All of our passengers have said they were thrilled by the added excitment of the boat cutting through choppy seas.

Thanks again.

www.caithness-seacoast.co.uk (http://www.caithness-seacoast.co.uk)

horseman
16-Mar-08, 23:08
Great stuff! More power to your elbow:)

karia
16-Mar-08, 23:13
Great stuff! More power to your elbow:)

And yours..Captain Fantastic!;)

Moira
16-Mar-08, 23:15
You don't mean this one do you? .......

Nope, that is a different one that operates out of JoG. Caithness Sea Coast operate out of Wick harbour, and don't sail around Swona.

Thanks for that Metalattakk - bekisman is probably not familiar with the Caithness coastline or didn't check the link in webmannie's earlier post here, for the routes covered.

...........All we ask from the customers is to bring warm clothing and a sense of adventure.
Do not be putoff by high winds as often we experience calm conditions at the cliff base especially during westerlies. All of our passengers have said they were thrilled by the added excitment of the boat cutting through choppy seas.
www.caithness-seacoast.co.uk (http://www.caithness-seacoast.co.uk)

Good luck with the new venture CSL. I am reassured by your post, so may book on one your tours this coming season. :)

bekisman
17-Mar-08, 00:05
Moira: "bekisman is probably not familiar with the Caithness coastline or didn't check the link in webmannie's earlier post here, for the routes covered."

I expect I know the Caithness coastline more than you do, but at least it's put to rest anyone who thought it might be Caithness Sea Coast Ltd! (think about it)

dirdyweeker
17-Mar-08, 00:08
thanks for your further info on these trips CSL. Really do fancy making the trip so must get booked up.

Moira
17-Mar-08, 00:42
Moira: "bekisman is probably not familiar with the Caithness coastline or didn't check the link in webmannie's earlier post here, for the routes covered."

I expect I know the Caithness coastline more than you do, but at least it's put to rest anyone who thought it might be Caithness Sea Coast Ltd! (think about it)

I doubt you do. I was trying to be kind to you bekisman.

What were you trying to put to rest when you posted earlier?

rob16d
17-Mar-08, 09:42
Are there guide books or someone on board talking about what the passengers can see?

bekisman
17-Mar-08, 12:00
Bekisman: "I expect I know the Caithness coastline more than you do, but at least it's put to rest anyone who thought it might be Caithness Sea Coast Ltd! (think about it)"
Moira: "I doubt you do. I was trying to be kind to you Bekisman". + "What were you trying to put to rest when you posted earlier?"

Bekisman: " well - I may be over on the North coast of Sutherland, but I've written a publication about the harbours along the North coast of Caithness, which may well be out of date, but I do remember quite a bit.. and what I was trying 'to put to rest' is the idea that others from around the world who read this forum might well think that the one involved with the RNLI incident was CSC - I shall most likely be including http://www.caithness-seacoast.co.uk/ (http://www.caithness-seacoast.co.uk/) into a tourist publication I compile"

Sorry if we were at cross-purposes here!

Metalattakk
17-Mar-08, 12:21
Are there guide books or someone on board talking about what the passengers can see?

The home page of the website has the words "Informed commentary throughout" under the main text.

rob16d
17-Mar-08, 12:48
Ok thanks metalattakk :)