PDA

View Full Version : spangles

Poultney lad
16-Mar-08, 01:14
anybody remember spangles sweeties or cabana bar coconut and cherry anybody remember any other sweets you used to get but not now

JAWS
16-Mar-08, 01:31
I certainly remember Spangles and also Love Hearts.

dirdyweeker
16-Mar-08, 01:33
Frys double sandwich, a chocolate bar. It was either milk chocolate outside with dark inside or vice versa. I preferred the dark outside. Mmmmmm

changilass
16-Mar-08, 01:54
Texan bar yummy

DeHaviLand
16-Mar-08, 02:37
Lucky tatties and MB bars. May be typically Glaswegian tho, but would be interested to know if they were ever on sale in Caithness.

Aaldtimer
16-Mar-08, 03:28
Have a look on here for some old favourites!
http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/index.php

nightowl
16-Mar-08, 03:34
Spangles "Old English" were my favourite.

thebigman
16-Mar-08, 04:00

Liked them as well, sort of spicey taste to them.

brokencross
16-Mar-08, 08:59
DeHaviLand, lucky tatties were definitely on sale in Wick in late 1950's early 60's. I used to get them, along with my sherbet dab and lucky bags; used to get them from Gibby Frasers shop in Coach Road.

EDDIE
16-Mar-08, 09:12
anybody remember spangles sweeties or cabana bar coconut and cherry anybody remember any other sweets you used to get but not now

Somebodys showing there age i remember spangles in the xmas stockings every year along with mars bar and marathon bar. Spangles it must have been early eightys when they stopped selling them
I always rememeber getting a piece of bubblegum for 2 pence which had a tattoo u had to wet it and stick it on your arm.
Or u used to buy cremola foam for a fizzy drink thats something u dont see any more

hoadster
16-Mar-08, 09:14
how about a choo choo bar, anyone remember that one?

Bill Fernie
16-Mar-08, 09:42
A large thread already on old sweets is at http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=26772&highlight=old+sweets

percy toboggan
16-Mar-08, 09:45
Olde English flavoured Spangles I recall, and 'Acid Drops' . Also Polo 'fruits' as ooposed to mints. Pear Drops...I graduated from sweets to chocolate around the age of eight I think...nowadays even choccy is a rare treat.
Thank heaven for Shiraz.

dessie
16-Mar-08, 10:29
where have all the SPANGLES gone.. brings back memory,s and waht about black jacks ...lol..maybe u can,t say black no more..

chaz
16-Mar-08, 10:34

I dont eat many sweets, but these were yum, remember them well:)

Thumper
16-Mar-08, 10:59
Goldencups!God I miss them soooo much,although my bum is glad they arent around anymore :) x

SNOWDOG
16-Mar-08, 11:12
On a savoury note, i really miss chutney Outer Spacers!:(

balto
16-Mar-08, 11:13
Goldencups!God I miss them soooo much,although my bum is glad they arent around anymore :) x
oh aye they were lovely also loggers you could get them with fruit and nut or just plain i think. i know this isnt sweets but does anyone remember puffs you could get them in salt and vinager cheese and onion or just plain.

young
16-Mar-08, 12:06
Lucky tatties and MB bars. May be typically Glaswegian tho, but would be interested to know if they were ever on sale in Caithness.

I was in a small sweetie shop in Dunfermline a few months ago and they have all the old favourites including lucky tatties, toffee doddles e.t.c

Penelope Pitstop
16-Mar-08, 12:11
DeHaviLand, lucky tatties were definitely on sale in Wick in late 1950's early 60's. I used to get them, along with my sherbet dab and lucky bags; used to get them from Gibby Frasers shop in Coach Road.

OMG, I'd forgot all about those "tattie" sweeties.......blast from the past.:cool:

Penelope Pitstop
16-Mar-08, 12:16
i know this isnt sweets but does anyone remember puffs you could get them in salt and vinager cheese and onion or just plain.

Were they a type of crisp?? I seem to remember them in a BBQ flavour - yumeeeee!! They were sold in the school tuck shop for 2 1/2 p[lol]

You can still get Black jacks. They're an aniseed chew. Like them too. lol. I liked a mixture of them and Fruit Salad chews!!! (do you think that would count as 1 of our 5 a day fruit/veg???)

hell raizer
16-Mar-08, 12:16
i bought lucky tatties and sweetie tobacco in bottom joe's thurso - about 2 months ago, i used to love the old english flavoured spangles

caroline
16-Mar-08, 13:01
I liked Five Boys Chocolate think it was Frys who made.

nightowl
16-Mar-08, 13:44
I liked Five Boys Chocolate think it was Frys who made.

Was it Five Boys that had the different faces of boys on each section and underneath - Anticipation and Desperation ect (only ones I can remember)?

Venture
16-Mar-08, 14:01
Gobstoppers and bazooka chewing gum sherbet dib dabs and straws with fizz in them. Does anybody remember Emma's shop in Kinnaird Street that used to a have a tray on display with all the sweeties in rows for a penny, tuppence and so on.

karia
16-Mar-08, 14:12
Was it Five Boys that had the different faces of boys on each section and underneath - Anticipation and Desperation ect (only ones I can remember)?

That's the one...it came in a red and white wrapper and was frequently sold in those dispensing machines outside cinemas and the like.:)

Sapphire2803
16-Mar-08, 19:02

Ooh, now you've done it. I'd kill for a cabana bar!! Hmmm... Maybe I can buy one online? I wonder what the p&p to the outer limits of the universe (Caithness) would be for that? ;)

morganria
16-Mar-08, 19:21
I loved splicers - yummy!! The advert was good too

morganria
16-Mar-08, 19:26
Just remembered about galaxy counters even yummier. Why don' t they make them anymore

Valerie Campbell
16-Mar-08, 19:51
I remember Spangles. Loved them. For years I tried to get them but to no avail. I also remember Tutti Fruities, which were brilliant. Chewy passion fruits were also poplular in the 80s. We used to buy them by the bucket load and pass them round during French.

Buttercup
16-Mar-08, 20:17
A few of the sweeties mentioned in this thread are still on sale: Love Hearts, Bazooka chewing gum, Black Jacks and Tutti Fruitties. :lol:

Bobbyian
16-Mar-08, 20:41
how about Highland toffee the toffee bar with the highland cow on the front, or am I showing my age?

ks
16-Mar-08, 22:20
oh aye they were lovely also loggers you could get them with fruit and nut or just plain i think. i know this isnt sweets but does anyone remember puffs you could get them in salt and vinager cheese and onion or just plain.

The Puffs were made by Burtons and you don't get them anymore, my favourite was cheese and tomato

Chligh
16-Mar-08, 23:30
How about theHoneycombe bar?

Angel
16-Mar-08, 23:49
Aztec bars... Mojo's... Bazooka Joe bubble gum... Spanish Gold... I was going to say Golden Nuggets... but found them in the Village Store in Watten

nicnic74
17-Mar-08, 00:18
You can still get cabana bar they make it in the harbour cafe.
My favorite woz the nutty bar & i loved texan bars
they should bring them all back, better than some of the sweets that
are around now adays.

Kevin Milkins
17-Mar-08, 00:52
Its funny how things log in your brain. When I was about six growing up in a mining community in South Wales my dad took me to see the pit ponies during miners fortnight. The horses that worked uderground only came up for the last week of July and first week of August when the miners had there anual holiday.My dad used to work a pony undergroud named Foust and we stood looking at a field of what looked like 100 ponies and said "come on Foust" and his pony raced to the fence.I was gob smacked and dad gave him a spangle as he did every day at the start of his shift.What was good enough for foust was good enough for me.

coastown
17-Mar-08, 12:02
Anyone remember Pan Lollies and oddfellows

karia
17-Mar-08, 12:20
Anyone remember Pan Lollies and oddfellows

I hated Oddfellows..they were sort of cinnamon / clove flavoured but pretty pastel colours.:)

morganria
17-Mar-08, 17:24
I'm with you Karia I hated oddfellows.
What about a mint cracknel (i think thats what it was called) it was a thin flat bar with mint stuff that stuck to your teeth and covered in chocolate