PDA

View Full Version : John S Duncan/Shops Shutting

BIG A
14-Mar-08, 18:26
Just been told that JS DUNCAN at Wick Harbour is to close sales are down due to TESCO.
Are we going to be left with Cafes and Charity Shops only in Wick:mad: Town Centre

Julia
14-Mar-08, 18:28
I'm not surprised, I was just wondering the other day how that shop has managed to stay open, not been in it in years but I bet it has quite a few regular customers who will dearly miss it.

Macwull
14-Mar-08, 18:34
I think some people are using tesco as an easy target, i'm sure before tesco and the rest they weren't doing too well. At the end of the day its not tesco's fault as a customer can go wherever he/she feels like!

balto
14-Mar-08, 18:40
that shop has been there for aslong as i can remember.

quiteone
14-Mar-08, 18:55
i heard that also and johnny gunns on bridge street is closing too???

ashaw1
14-Mar-08, 18:57
I think some people are using tesco as an easy target, i'm sure before tesco and the rest they weren't doing too well. At the end of the day its not tesco's fault as a customer can go wherever he/she feels like!
I totally agree! Why is it that if anything goes wrong in the local area it always seems to be down to Tesco. Tesco arn't dragging in people off the streets. There is such a thing as own free will!

peedie man
14-Mar-08, 19:05
Tesco seem to get the blame for all shop closures
I don't suppose its the lack of boats that Duncans is closing

jambo
14-Mar-08, 19:08
dont think j s duncans can be blamed on tescos think it is more to do with the fishing industry as a lot of fishermen used to buy there gear there and there is no boats now to bring trade to the shop.

DeHaviLand
14-Mar-08, 21:50
Its closing because of the lack of fishing boats. I dont see too many of them tied up outside Tesco either:roll:.

bonami
14-Mar-08, 22:01
Not surprised at this news dont know how they stayed in around so long after the fishing was their busness and thats all gone.Think they were part of the Wood Group and companys like them dont like to lose money.

Rourkee
14-Mar-08, 23:11
Havent noticed a ships chandlers section in Tescos! I have however noticed a severe lack of boats in the harbour.

scorrie
14-Mar-08, 23:22
No, I don't think this was Tesco's fault. Even if it were, nobody cares anyway. Never mind the state of the School, look at the quality of those shiny new shops.

Poultney lad
15-Mar-08, 00:43
It WILL BE SADLY MISSED

Riffman
15-Mar-08, 01:12
I doubt very much that Tescos is too blame, they were very slow on sales for years and years after the fishing cut down.

I will miss them as I always got my boots from there.

jambo
15-Mar-08, 10:01
Its closing because of the lack of fishing boats. I dont see too many of them tied up outside Tesco either:roll:.

but tescos are not closing.

POUNDIT
15-Mar-08, 15:53
I hope they sit it out because if the marina takes off they could make a good business there or perhaps they could get some new more modern things in or local things that are attractive for the tourists.

mr do dar
15-Mar-08, 19:46
please explain why all the shops that close down are due to tesco ??????? if the local retailer never tuck us for a ride and half before tesco came then we might of stayed there after tesco opened its doors . tesco get the blame for this every time .

sweetpea
15-Mar-08, 19:57
They'll be closin due to that hard sell attitude you only get here in Wick;) oh and of course their extensive choice.

bonami
15-Mar-08, 22:15
There are a lot of opions as to recent shops shuting and as to weather this is the fault of recent supermarkets.Shortly after Tecos opened in Wick there was rumer of one in Orkney a Tesco spokesman stated in the Orcadian that Tescos would be interested in a branch there if someone was interested in saleing them ground. That was a year ago and there dosnt appear to be any developments There are also a lot more local shops and very few boarded up. Maybe our neighbours over the firth over the firth were wiser than us. There is an idea that more money is staying in Caithness with less shoping done in Inverness but I can see in the near future this changeing as a lot of people head back over the Ord looking for small shops and more choice .Beware of Asda Thurso.

Rheghead
15-Mar-08, 22:20
I don't know for sure if more choice is a good thing. I like to just get what I am used to getting and get out of the place rapido before I spend my money on more detritus, more choice would interrupt and slowdown that thought-process.

JAWS
15-Mar-08, 22:20
I very much doubt that there will be hordes of shoppers rushing over the Ord to buy a couple of pints of milk.

Angel
15-Mar-08, 22:58
The modern way of life is crawling up the A9... Tesco is something you recognise, a brite shining beacon, but it's the dark stuff in its trailer you should be afraid of...

bonami
15-Mar-08, 23:31
Lot more available than milk in local shops they will be missed believe me.

dirdyweeker
16-Mar-08, 00:37
does Tesco affect the local hotels too then? The Norseman is up for sale..............maybe we will get rid of the eyesore on High Street (that belongs to the Norseman) after all. A new broom.....:D

Tony
16-Mar-08, 00:41
More and more people are shopping online now than ever before. Never knew Tesco sold this type of product. They should have adapted to other products if trade from fishermen were the main. Always sad to see a shop closing though but as said previously the shop has been trading many years and maybe just retiring.

bluebell
16-Mar-08, 05:33
Sorry to see it go(if it does) but don't think TESCOS is to blame