PDA

View Full Version : Dunnets Garage Wick

BIG A
14-Mar-08, 22:14
Tried to get my Ford booked in for Warrenty Work and was told take it Inverness you got it there.
Ford state any ford garage will do warrenty Work.
Any one else had this problem.

sids
14-Mar-08, 22:32
Tried to get my Ford booked in for Warrenty Work and was told take it Inverness you got it there.
Ford state any ford garage will do warrenty Work.
Any one else had this problem.

Better ask Ford why they lied.

Rourkee
14-Mar-08, 23:07
Most local garages are the same.
Stick to your guns they are obliged to carry out warranty work or they will loose their dealership. Their next excuse however is that they are fully booked up and wont be able to do the work for the next 8 or 10 weeks.

Mik.M.
14-Mar-08, 23:54
Dunnet`s seem to be a law unto themselves,still waiting for a call back from the bloke,Alistair on service reception. Will NEVER use them again,liars and very poor customer service. Should have the Ford franchise taken away from them,but it will probably never happen

Riffman
15-Mar-08, 01:15
That dunnets thurso? Try the wick branch, I found them to be better.

Fran
15-Mar-08, 03:34
I had mine done at dunnets in thurso, no problem, but i dont think they are very good.

Mall67
15-Mar-08, 08:35
I would go to Inverness anyway at least you know the work will be done by folk who actually like their job. Check out www.smmt.co.uk (http://www.smmt.co.uk) Dunnets should be a member. You should find some info on where you stand, if you do you got them by the you know whats. There is another organsation they should be a member of but I cannot remember it right now. Its worked for me in the past, ( not with a caithness garage ) once you start quoting rules & regs they fall at your feet. Up here they think you were born yesterday well most dealers do anyway, but I would say you get a better service down south.

The Angel Of Death
15-Mar-08, 10:09
Once went to look at buying a car from dunnets a few years ago and took it out for a test drive (or so i thought) the old guy drove the car out of the town fair enough i thought i'd get to drive it back in he stopped and turned at hemprigs then drove back in parked at the garage and asked me what i thought of the car couldnt believe it

Went up to richards looked at another car was passed the keys and told be back in 15 mins bought all my cars from them ever since

northener
15-Mar-08, 10:46
Dunnets will refuse to carry out warranty work on any Ford that was not purchased from them. This is not an isolated case, try speaking to anyone who has bought a new Ford elswhere and then had a problem.

I had to go down to Inverness to get my warranty work done.

If you get onto Customer Care at Ford, they will lean on Dunnets, who will try to come up with a ridiculous date to get out of it.

I think what sums up Dunnets reputation is the comment made to me by the Service Manager at a rather large Ford franchise further south:

"They are notorious for not doing warranty work. If we ran our business like they do regarding warranty, we'd have the franchise taken away from us or go bust, or both."

Make of that what you will......

Try asking them why they wont do it, the excuses are rather amusing. I heard a very interesting tale about why they won't do it, unfortunately I cannot repeat it here.

poppett
15-Mar-08, 11:25
Was told at Dunnets, Thurso I needed a new steering unit which would cost about £500 to have supplied and fitted. I was aware of a wee drip of steering fluid under the car each day and got it checked out.

Seriously thought about having to give up my wheels as could not afford that amount, then was in the Autoparts shop for something else and spotted an additive for the steering fluid which helps keep the seals working and extends the life of the fluid. Decided at just under £9 it was worth a try.

It worked and is still working a year down the line!

I was recently told that I am not the first to be told the tale of "must have new parts" when a bit of technological know how is all that is required.

My car never goes in for work to be done, expecially a service, without nail polish being applied to the bits they need to remove, then I can easily see if the work has been done, at a glance, before the bill is paid. Have been caught with paying for plugs which were not renewed too often to be caught with that old chestnut again.

sids
15-Mar-08, 11:57
Seriously thought about having to give up my wheels as could not afford that amount, then was in the Autoparts shop for something else and spotted an additive for the steering fluid which helps keep the seals working and extends the life of the fluid. Decided at just under £9 it was worth a try.

It worked and is still working a year down the line!

You did the right thing, as resourceful owner, but I don't think a garage could do that with the additive because it's not the recognised permanent repair.

I bought a new Ford from Dunnett's because if it won't go I can push it from my house to the garage.

ciderally
15-Mar-08, 12:01
hey that nail polish is a good tip never thought of that..cheers..xx

Cattach
15-Mar-08, 20:26
Better ask Ford why they lied.

They did not lie!! Dunnets are obliged to do the work as they have a Ford franchise. They are being awkward and trying it one - but then does not surprise me. Their attitude to Ford customers is why people go to Inverness to buy Fords.

Making a formal complaint to Fords works.

sweetpea
15-Mar-08, 20:47
Dunnets are obliged to do the work

Glad to hear it! You have no problem then. Have they done it yet?

Baconbuttie
15-Mar-08, 20:49
hey that nail polish is a good tip never thought of that..cheers..xx

This reminds me of an incident down south with a friends starter motor. I took the motor off and discovered badly worn brushes, I temporarily repaired it with a couple of match sticks to get him going. The next day he took the car along to the local garage and they fitted him a shiny blue reconditioned motor. The same afternoon he had problems again and when I removed the motor my matchsticks were still there.

Cattach
16-Mar-08, 17:00
Glad to hear it! You have no problem then. Have they done it yet?

Yes. Immediately the position was pointed out to them.

sids
16-Mar-08, 17:44
Yes. Immediately the position was pointed out to them.

That's a result then.

Hope they really really did it though!

Skerries
16-Mar-08, 17:47
My car never goes in for work to be done, expecially a service, without nail polish being applied to the bits they need to remove, then I can easily see if the work has been done, at a glance, before the bill is paid. Have been caught with paying for plugs which were not renewed too often to be caught with that old chestnut again.

There seems to be a lot of 'old chestnuts' going around the garages, and not just the franchised ones. I eventually stopped going to one for an MOT because every year my car 'needed' new brake pads and discs. One of my colleagues had a similar story with steering rods at a different local garage.

I go to another local garage now (non-franchised) and the service is excellent. And there's no blethers at MOT time!

bonami
16-Mar-08, 21:41
I have always dealt with Dunnets Wick and always found them satisfactory maybe not cheapest but job always done right .You get what pay for and usually it works out cheapest in the end.

crustyroll
16-Mar-08, 21:53
Dunnets will refuse to carry out warranty work on any Ford that was not purchased from them.

This is definately not true as we have two Ford Estates, neither of them bought locally and both of them get their full service, any repairs and any work carried out under warranty at Dunnets in Thurso. We've never, ever, had a problem getting work done or any problems with their service. Any extra parts we've wanted ordered and they've happily ordered them for us and given us a ring when they are in stock.

We didn't buy from Dunnets as to be honest we did get better prices further South. We enquired at the Ford Garage in Inverness and the salesman didn't even know if they made the model that we were looking for, which was in their new brochure!!!! We also enquired about discount as we wouldn't be needing finance and weren't given a single penny off. Needless to say we went elsewhere and saved thousands on their price.

I would go back to them and ask nicely and explain that you know plenty of folk that haven't bought their cars from Dunnets direct and have had them serviced/repaired etc with no problems. There are enough garages in the county that Dunnets can't afford to loose too many customers.