PDA

View Full Version : Fuel

nippy
14-Mar-08, 21:53
diesel fuel in caithness 118.9 clobber the workin man again [evil][evil]

COACHMAN
14-Mar-08, 22:05
Diesel fuel with a Highland fuel card 108.9 in Wick,tomite same price anywhere in Uk.:lol:

horse
14-Mar-08, 22:16
Diesel fuel with a Highland fuel card 108.9 in Wick,tomite same price anywhere in Uk.:lol:

can iask how you get a Highland fuel card and where can you use them

cheers

MadPict
14-Mar-08, 22:27
Funny old thing - day before the budget diesel was priced at 112.9p per litre at both my local fuel stations and day after budget the price was 114.9p per litre.
Unleaded also went up by 2p per litre.

Now, seeing as Dick Turpin Alistair Darling postponed the 2p increase in taxation are the retailers taking the mickey?

Rheghead
14-Mar-08, 22:28
diesel fuel in caithness 118.9 clobber the workin man again [evil][evil]

£1.249/litre at my local. Ouch. Good for the global warming though, it stops me going out for my constitution sunday runs.

COACHMAN
14-Mar-08, 22:38
HIGHLAND Fuel Card apply to Highland Fuels Inverness

MadPict
14-Mar-08, 22:41
Seriously thinking about making a deal with my local chippy....

http://biofuelssolutions.co.uk/smallscale.asp#fuelpod

With an estimated 600 litres a year on my car and about the same on the wife's I'd be well within my 'duty-free allowance' of 2,500 ltrs...

Penelope Pitstop
26-Mar-08, 22:32
What's happened to the price of fuel in the last week or so. Was horrified to see in Brora on Sunday that a litre of diesel was 121.9p a litre. Went to get some in Thurso today and was also 121.9p a litre:roll:

I thought the price increase in the budget wasn't taking place till October??

Price down South at the weekend was unchanged ...about 114.9p litre.

Does anyone know how much diesel is at Tescos just now??

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 22:40
It was 115.9 last time I checked

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 22:43
There's a fuel price website here (http://www.petrolprices.com/), it's updated by fuel card info

Penelope Pitstop
26-Mar-08, 22:46
Wow...that's well worth a trip to Wick to fill up and get a couple of weeks shopping then.

Don't usually go to Tesco Wick for my shop, usually shop in Thurso, but...:confused

Roll on Thurso Asda.....asap please.

MadPict
26-Mar-08, 22:47
The day after the budget all the fool fuel stations round me added 2 p per litre to the cost of unleaded and diesel.

Seems like the opportunity to rob motorists of even more was irresistable to the retailers...

Maybe it's time for fuel protests again?...If I disappear after this post it is because I have been whisked away....

changilass
26-Mar-08, 23:22
Brora on Tuesday was 125.9 so its going up very fast

Whitewater
26-Mar-08, 23:30
I'm not too sure of the prices as there is such a variation in them, However, what I did notice at the pumps today was a 10p difference between petrol & diesel, it always used to be 5p. Why the large difference all of a sudden?

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 23:35
Good question, mind you it explains the veg oil disappearing off tesco's shelves so fast!

Tristan
27-Mar-08, 00:22
I'm not too sure of the prices as there is such a variation in them, However, what I did notice at the pumps today was a 10p difference between petrol & diesel, it always used to be 5p. Why the large difference all of a sudden?

It used to be less. It is pathetic the way the retailers are taking advantage but I still think the blame lies with the government. In the US I believe it is about ($4) £2 a gallon, what are we up to, close to £5 now? Another example of rip of Britain.

MadPict
27-Mar-08, 01:00
Think it is ~$3.50 in most places - and they complain at that high price :)

I tell my US friends they should try forking out $10 a gallon...

emszxr
27-Mar-08, 08:26
lordy if brora is 125.9 then its gone up 9p a litre in space of 10 days. i was in york 2 weeks ago and cheapest was 108.9.

Penelope Pitstop
27-Mar-08, 15:13

I noticed, and wondered that as well:confused

Penelope Pitstop
27-Mar-08, 15:16
lordy if brora is 125.9 then its gone up 9p a litre in space of 10 days. i was in york 2 weeks ago and cheapest was 108.9.
Brora was 121.9p yesterday when I passed...same as Thurso[disgust]

cuddlepop
27-Mar-08, 17:25
118.9pa litre in Portree,think the cheapest we saw it in Glasgow was110.9p,that was for diesel
Not many tourists in Skye this Easter,I wonder why .....[disgust]

Valerie Campbell
27-Mar-08, 17:38
I heard on the grapvine that it's expected to be around the £1.50 mark by the summer for a litre. It's unbelievable. OPEC need to get their finger out and start producing more barrels so the price can come down. Although would Gordy bring it down here...? Methinks not.

Green_not_greed
27-Mar-08, 20:41
With the terrorist attack on the Iraq pipeline today its put the oil price up to $107 per barrel.

And I remember my dad went mental when petrol hit 10/- a gallon!

(That's ten shillings to our younger readers or 50p - per gallon. Or just under 11p per litre!!!!!)

GNG

JAWS
28-Mar-08, 05:55
The official excuse, and that is for the whole of Britain not just Caithness, is that the Oil Refineries have not been upgraded fast enough to cater for the increase in the number of vehicles using Diesel leading to a shortage in supply.

Diesel used to be very cheap when compared to petrol mainly due to the tax on it being far less. Suddenly, many years ago, there was much Official publicity that diesel vehicles were far better for the environment (pre-Global Warming) than petrol because diesel engines were more efficient and gave better fuel economy.
Car Manufacturers started producing diesel cars and people started buying them for the cheaper fuel and better mileage.
As they caught on with the motoring public and ordinary motorists started to use a lot more diesel, as is quite usual, something terrible was "found".
It was suddenly "discovered" that diesel burning vehicles produced "particulates" which caused people terrible health problems. This for some strange reason had never been noticed before despite the fact that in years gone by diesel vehicles were filthy things which belched out smoke, unburnt diesel and heaven knows what else.
Solution? That is easy. What is Government's answer to all such problems? Increase the tax on diesel to bring it in line with petrol.

Get people to use it claiming it is better for them, wait until they do that, "discover something dreadful about it, create a public outcry, and then use that excuse to slap a massive tax increase on it.
Sound familiar as an excuse for other large tax increases lately, and not only concerning fuel?

Kevin Milkins
28-Mar-08, 17:04
I dropped the wife off at Tesco after miday and there was a long quere for fuel,I did not see the price but does sombody know something I dont,IE fuel increase iminant?

Poultney lad
30-Mar-08, 00:14
garages in Nairn was£1.17 for diesel and asda was £1.14

cactus
30-Mar-08, 00:50
Moving up to north soon and did notice the significantly higher prices than aberdeenshire and that's bad enough. Have tried to reason that diesel will need less filling - that is encouraging to fill up else where if you are out for the day but taking the p**** when you live in the area - we should be priced the same as everywhere else in scotland. Discrimination or no choice?

kas
06-Apr-08, 21:24

We are just home from Florida where there were Trucker strikes and go slows last week, and they are staging one every week for the next month. It has risen to an average of $3.30 a gallon for unleaded, and is a big talking point on News channels.

With the present exchange rate of $1.99 to the pound. That makes it roughly
£1.66 a gallon or £0.44 a litre.

£15 filled our tank out there. We wish we could have taken home a few hundred gallons in our suitcases.

TRUCKER
15-Apr-08, 18:31
I See That Some Of The Local Garages Have Diesel At £1.20 A Litre . Why Is The Price Of Diesel Going Up So Much But Not Petrol. Will Need A Bank Loan Soon To Fill The Car.

cuddlepop
15-Apr-08, 19:25
122.9p now in Portree will need to restrict the short trips.
I think someone said the price if diesel is increasing because of a shortage.
As fuel prices are increasing so rapidly you cant even predict how much you'll need by the summer.:(

Now where did I leave the push bike.:lol:

Riffman
15-Apr-08, 19:44
I used to think about getting a diesel car, now I am quite glad I drive a petrol.

Daylight robbery

Kevin Milkins
15-Apr-08, 19:48
£107.9 for unleaded in Bristol on Sunday.

rupert
15-Apr-08, 22:31
Just had our latest bill for the central heating oil - I can't believe it - its gone up 50% since last month!!!! Cold house and cold water will soon be order of the day here, roll on summer.

dunderheed
16-Apr-08, 10:22
seemingly according to the news this morning , the price of brent crude has risen to an all time high of (i think £1.22 per barrel) this combined with european refinaries working at reduced capacities has led to another increase in pricing at the pumps.in my opinion its time either v.a.t or fuel duty was either scrapped or dropped. after all is a car really a luxury item in certain areas of the country??

MadPict
16-Apr-08, 10:42
Without a doubt the car is essential. I can't see this government dropping anything except their election promises.

I also note that as of now all diesel and petrol must contain 5% bio fuels - I expect that will push the price up further.

Time to dust off the bike....

Kevin Milkins
16-Apr-08, 10:54
Without a doubt the car is essential. I can't see this government dropping anything except their election promises.

I also note that as of now all diesel and petrol must contain 5% bio fuels - I expect that will push the price up further.

Time to dust off the bike....

I wonder if one of those wind Turbine things could be fitted to the top of the car to run it.:lol:

Penelope Pitstop
16-Apr-08, 15:34
Seems like motorway users near Birmingham are paying the same as we are up here for diesel....123.9p on Sunday....dearest I seen...... (except Thurso of course....:~()

bekisman
16-Apr-08, 16:05
Today went over to Tesco shopping, then a meal in Wetherspoon's - noticed the fuel was 108.9 for unleaded at Tesco and at Elmtree, anyway drove onto Homebase and passed Dunnets @ £109.9.. on the way back from Homebase diverted into Richards for a laugh at their prices, BUT they were the same as Tesco and Elmtree! - so we filled up there. My wife remarked to the girl there it was nice to see they were matching Tesco and others, she said that 'the others had a 2p subsidy from Scottish Fuels, but would not give this to them, so they went to Simpson's and now get their (cheaper) fuel from there'.. At least that's the gist of it..

Be nice if Richards put up their big sign again as most of us were aware that they were the most expensive in Wick

Valerie Campbell
16-Apr-08, 17:08
Why is it diesel is now more expensive than unleaded petrol? I remember the days when people were banging on about diesel because it was so much cheaper. These days it's so much more expensive. £1.18.9 at our local garage just now for diesel. It'll be £1.50 a litre sooner than we expected. Think I may speak to our local chippy too...

COACHMAN
16-Apr-08, 18:14
Today went over to Tesco shopping, then a meal in Wetherspoon's - noticed the fuel was 108.9 for unleaded at Tesco and at Elmtree, anyway drove onto Homebase and passed Dunnets @ £109.9.. on the way back from Homebase diverted into Richards for a laugh at their prices, BUT they were the same as Tesco and Elmtree! - so we filled up there. My wife remarked to the girl there it was nice to see they were matching Tesco and others, she said that 'the others had a 2p subsidy from Scottish Fuels, but would not give this to them, so they went to Simpson's and now get their (cheaper) fuel from there'.. At least that's the gist of it..

Be nice if Richards put up their big sign again as most of us were aware that they were the most expensive in Wick

I wonder why Scottish Fuels would give a Rebate to sites they have never supplied eg Elm tree and Dunnets think you info Bekisman is wrong.

bekisman
16-Apr-08, 18:29
maybe someone on this site may know what was meant, seems there are posters on the Org who are connected with fuel stations up here, who could clarify?

bekisman
16-Apr-08, 18:34
Hi Coachman - just been looking at your previous postings; a lot are fuel connected, have you any idea if any of what was said at Richards has any substance?

Penelope Pitstop
15-May-08, 18:17
A litre of diesel £1.34 in Thurso now. It went up 4p overnight on Tuesday....how shocking is that..........[evil]

lazytown
15-May-08, 19:09
A litre of diesel £1.34 in Thurso now. It went up 4p overnight on Tuesday....how shocking is that..........[evil]

Not sure where in Thurso you filled up, but at Richards Garage in Thurso @ 9.30am this morning it was 127.9p per litre for diesel.

I know the pennyland garage were 128.9p at the end of last week

COACHMAN
15-May-08, 19:39
Diesel today in Wick with a Highland Fuel Card £1.20 per litre:lol:

Stargazer
15-May-08, 20:21
I used to think about getting a diesel car, now I am quite glad I drive a petrol.

Daylight robbery

Diesel fuel price per mile still cheaper than petrol even with £1.09 in Wick for petrol and £1.31 for diesel in Thurso earlier today. I changed recently from a 1.8 petrol to a 1.6 turbo diesel. More power, quicker, more relaxed and at 49mpg works out at 12.1p per mile. My last car, similar size, got 34 petrol mpg that works out at 14.4p per mile.

So if you fancy a diesel - get one.

George Brims
15-May-08, 20:41

It's nudging $4 most places in California. That's for the lowest octane. Higher grades (we usually have 3) are over the $4 mark. Main side effect so far is that Toyota can't make the Prius hybrid fast enough, and the big 4X4s are not selling at all. Daimler Benz are doing a big publicity push for their wee "Smart Car" two-seaters. The wierd thing is they are supposed to move two people for 41 mpg in the city. I have a Toyota Solara with three more cylinders and three more seats, and about three times the power, and I am getting 31 on my weekly commute. (That's per US gallon - add 25% for comparable UK consumption). Doesn't sound like the smart car is all that smart.

Ricco
19-May-08, 07:37
diesel fuel in caithness 118.9 clobber the workin man again [evil]

118.90 - that's cheap! My last fill was 122.95 and its still going up. They are takng advantage of breaking the 100.00 barrier. [evil]

cuddlepop
19-May-08, 08:31
We left portree on Friday night and the diesel was 131.9p per litre.Morrisons in Inverness were selling it for 121.9p,that was bad enoegh of a gap but by the time we got home last night it had climed to 133.9p[evil]

Its official,only the well off can afford to live on Skye.
Fuel
House prices/rent
Food
Is leaving us with no disposable income on the minimum wage.:~(

MadPict
19-May-08, 10:37
Price is creeping up down south too - £1.25 for diesel!

unicorn
19-May-08, 10:47
10p difference between Wick and Thurso for a litre of diesel on Saturday.

jm.mack
19-May-08, 12:59
Does anybody know who has the cheapest fuel in Caithness at the moment?

MadPict
19-May-08, 13:07
According to Petrolprices.com (using a Wick postcode + 20 mile search) date indicates last update of price listing -

Unleaded
Tesco - Tesco Wick Airport Wick 112.9p 18-05-2008
Gleaner - Dunnets Wick 113.9p 18-05-2008
Unbranded - Richards Garage Wick 114.9p 17-05-2008

Diesel
Tesco - Tesco Wick Airport Wick 123.9p 18-05-2008
Unbranded - Richards Garage Wick 127.9p 15-05-2008
Gleaner - Dunnets Wick 128.9p 18-05-2008

scorrie
19-May-08, 14:18
I read somewhere that there are proposals for marine shipping to switch to diesel fuel. If this is approved it was speculated that the price at the pumps would then rise to £1.73 per litre, or more. There was even talk of busting the £10 a gallon mark!!

bekisman
19-May-08, 14:34
Thanks to Madpict for the Wick prices, also on petrolprices.com is the rip-off we over to the west pay in Thurso!

Unleaded
Bridgend 117.9 18-05-2008
Dunnets 117.9 18-05-2008
Pennyland 117.9 12-05-2008
Richards?

Diesel
Richards 132.9 18-05-2008
Bridgend 132.9 18-05-2008
Pennyland 132.9 18-05-2008
Dunnets 131.9 18-05-2008

raymac
19-May-08, 15:15
It's just feels like we are all getting ripped off at the pumps, not that long ago east caithness was paying over the top prices and now it's the other side who is paying more, and worst of all it's only going to get more and more expensive..[disgust]

MadPict
19-May-08, 15:21
bekisman,
I didn't include the Thurso prices as jm.mack asked for cheapest prices and I didn't want to startle any Thurso folk ;)

bekisman
19-May-08, 16:45
I don't think any Thurso folk are startled, 'spect most go to Wick shopping and fill up anyway - is that up to £5.40 for a full tank difference?.. tut tut, wonder what it would be if 'that' Supermarket in Wick was not there? makes you think don't it?

cuddlepop
19-May-08, 16:52
I don't think any Thurso folk are startled, 'spect most go to Wick shopping and fill up anyway - is that up to £5.40 for a full tank difference?.. tut tut, wonder what it would be if 'that' Supermarket in Wick was not there? makes you think don't it?

You'd all be as skint as me if your Supermarket wasnt suppling your fuel.

Tesco's and Lidils have been knocked back again for planning permissioni in Portree......its a conspiracy, we're forced to be the quaint wee village.[evil]

moose and Lindsay
19-May-08, 18:12
I am just back from Thurso and Dunnets garage is

£131.9p for diesel

£117.9 for petrol

If i had enough diesel in the car i would of gone to tesco to fill up [lol]

moose and Lindsay
19-May-08, 18:14
sorry bekisman never saw your post on prices [disgust]

bekisman
19-May-08, 19:32
Cuddlepup; Just been reading your woes in Portree ( http://www.scotsman.com/supermarkets/Tesco-battles-for-the-.4071456.jp (http://www.scotsman.com/supermarkets/Tesco-battles-for-the-.4071456.jp) ) "Planning officials are recommending that councillors turn down the plan on the grounds that it will destroy the livelihoods of many long-standing businesses in Portree and other communities around the island.".. "They are backed by Portree Community Council, which says a new supermarket would suck customers out of the town centre, damaging its "viability".,, "Any islander wanting to buy goods from Tesco has to make the 240-mile round trip to Inverness" ..The proposal does have supporters. Skye councillor Drew Millar, who is not on the planning committee and can speak out, estimates 85% of Skye residents are in favour of a Tesco store.
He said: "We have a situation now where, because of the lack of choice, people are willing to drive all the way to Inverness to shop at Tesco there and fill up their cars. At least if the Tesco was in Portree, those shoppers would be more likely to come into the town than they are now."

Coincidentally, just had a quick look at the 'old shops' in Wick thread.. seems that since time began it's been a more or less natural progression - Since I've been up here, Presto's upset the Co-op by building a bigger store, and this very small partial list below, may go some way to show how businesses come and go, eventually folk do get fed up to their back teeth of having to pay through the nose so as to preserve a 'town centre' as it has always been.
Do you remember how; just three years ago Thurso was 'famous' for having the most expensive fuel on the British mainland? Does anyone remember how we were all informed that when Tesco opened, the fuel suppliers in Wick would go out of business within weeks? (what is it; one and half years!)..
Increasing costs of food, fuel, in fact everything, makes us more cost-wary and we all look for the most cost effective way to save money, it's all very nice to have the wee shops, but if they could afford to close at lunchtimes and half a day a week they were not that pressurised.

And oh yes, we're in business too; worked our arses off (just checked and that words been used 11 times on the Org, so hopefully OK) and made a success of it - we're not in a town, nope our customers come to us and we are bloody (300 times) good at it.. it's been hard work but there was no way we would expect the competition - no matter how good - to stay away so we could carry on our own sweet pace..

Dolphin Restaurant
Youngs toy shop
The Chinese restaurant in Francis Street.
Nellie Davidsons in Argyll Square.
George Lyall's grocers
eagle star insurance
The cash and Carry in Williamson Street
sweetie shop at the Big house where the childrens home is now?
a shop at Conners too before he turned it into a chip shop
Emma Sinclair + sisters confectioners....
Jack Bremners grocers.
Skinners the plumbers .
Maggie Jeans bakers .
Geordie Baikies painters.
Jim Camerons Bookmakers .
Mortimores the Butcher .
Jessie Clynes Bakers.
The Mountain Dew .
The Pulteney Post Office .
Walter the Chemist.
Hughinas the butcher.
Jimmy Youngs
Ally Wares the grocer
John Cormacks
The Royal Bar
Angie Rosie or Hughie Malcolms or Annie Reid doing dressmaking
Joe Cassidy doing his painting
Hughie Simpson mending Oilskins

bky
19-May-08, 19:40
see on the bbc ceefax page 119 that the petrol retailers association claim that prices could rise by as much as 5p per litre by the weekend

bekisman
19-May-08, 19:55
Guess who said: "Stop whinging and face facts" "This price rise is a good thing because it will help reduce consumption" "--- urges the government to remain firm and not give in to the self-centred actions of the fuel protestors" "Driving is now cheaper than it was in the 1970s in real terms" "------- proposals include increasing road tax, increasing fuel duty"
(hint the name's in the link)

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/media/press-releases/greenpeace-tells-fuel-protestors-stop-whinging-and-face-facts (http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/media/press-releases/greenpeace-tells-fuel-protestors-stop-whinging-and-face-facts)

Oh yes the Son of the Manse made c£7,000,000,000 by the increase - wonder if he'll be nice and let us off the Oct 2p increase?

mr do dar
19-May-08, 21:02
I think its about time the goverment was looking at the problem were having and cut the price of tax by 2 pence per ltr i would save us a killing .its getting to the stage were we will be paying around £ 8.00 a gallon

mr do dar
19-May-08, 21:04
i thought the haulage firms would by taking action with the road strikes and boycotting the pumps

MadPict
19-May-08, 21:33
Don't be surprised if after the last time the government have introduced measures to arrest protestors (and I expect seize any vehicles) so many hauliers may shy away from doing anything too extreme. Dare say even sounding your horn in support of anything will be an arrestable offence!!!

COACHMAN
19-May-08, 21:51
At the Prices Dunnets And Bridge End Are Charging for Derv they are making a PROFIT of 7p on every litre they sell that a Massive 35 p per gallon.
There prices are way over the TOP.
I dont think it is any surprise that Pennyland filling station is for Sale knowing that if TESCO do come with a Filling Station the Prices will Fall.

Tristan
19-May-08, 23:16
Guess who said: "Stop whinging and face facts" "This price rise is a good thing because it will help reduce consumption" "--- urges the government to remain firm and not give in to the self-centred actions of the fuel protestors" "Driving is now cheaper than it was in the 1970s in real terms" "------- proposals include increasing road tax, increasing fuel duty"
(hint the name's in the link)

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/media/press-releases/greenpeace-tells-fuel-protestors-stop-whinging-and-face-facts (http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/media/press-releases/greenpeace-tells-fuel-protestors-stop-whinging-and-face-facts)

Oh yes the Son of the Manse made c£7,000,000,000 by the increase - wonder if he'll be nice and let us off the Oct 2p increase?

I was thinking the same thing. Yet when the the workers wanted to strike in Grangemouth the government line was the fuel was vital for Britain. Somehow the two arguments don't add up.

The other thing that annoys the heck our of me is all this talk of a so called "credit crunch" cut fuel tax, and there will be a huge drop in the cost of living from fuel, to transport for food etc. It is those day to day payouts that people notice and the government needs to deal with.

oldmarine
20-May-08, 04:20
It's nudging $4 most places in California. That's for the lowest octane. Higher grades (we usually have 3) are over the $4 mark. Main side effect so far is that Toyota can't make the Prius hybrid fast enough, and the big 4X4s are not selling at all. Daimler Benz are doing a big publicity push for their wee "Smart Car" two-seaters. The wierd thing is they are supposed to move two people for 41 mpg in the city. I have a Toyota Solara with three more cylinders and three more seats, and about three times the power, and I am getting 31 on my weekly commute. (That's per US gallon - add 25% for comparable UK consumption). Doesn't sound like the smart car is all that smart.

George: You are correct about the Prius hybrid. My friend bought one and todate is happy with his fuel mileage of 41+ mpg in the city of Tucson. I drive a 2007 Honda Accord and hesitate to take measurements due to disappointments. It replaced my 1998 Chevy Metro with straight stick, no air conditioning, and no extras which gave me 45+ miles per gallon. Here in HOT Tucson, Arizona I did not drive it much during the summer so traded it in for the Honda. One good thing, Tucson has the lowest price gasoline in the USA. I guess I will have to be satisfied with whatever I get on my Honda.

jm.mack
20-May-08, 06:12
Cheers Madpict, with prices as they are in Thurso with diesel I will definately be filling up in Wick even if that is all I'm going through for.

The motorist is being taken for a mug every time.

MadPict
20-May-08, 08:43
The Prius is not that green - it produces a lot of CO2 in manufacture and every road test I have seen done on it disputes the MPG figures produced by Toyota. It is a fad being bought up by all the wannabegreenies. Better than the gas guzzlers usually driven in the US, but no better than a decent diesel.

Oh I forgot, diesel isn't that popular in the US as a fuel for cars....

Penelope Pitstop
20-May-08, 11:56
Not sure where in Thurso you filled up, but at Richards Garage in Thurso @ 9.30am this morning it was 127.9p per litre for diesel.

I know the pennyland garage were 128.9p at the end of last week
Yip, it was Pennyland that I got my fuel.

Been to Dunnets since and it was a couple of pence cheaper than Pennyland.
PP

P.S. Inverness yesterday was 10p a litre cheaper for diesel than it was in Thurso.....

Green_not_greed
20-May-08, 12:35
If you think Caithness is bad, I was in Orkney last week. Diesel 139.9/litre. And most of it tax. Scandalous.

MadPict
22-May-08, 22:49
Not as bad as the far north but prices are now at 128.9 ppl for diesel at my local pumps.
The news today had a 'spokesman' state that the prices at the pump today actually lag the price per barrel by sometime, so may well mean that we ain't seen nothing yet.

It has always baffled me as to why they bother with the .9p part of the price. Is it the psychological effect of pricing something at £49.99 rather than £50 just to make the buyer spend their money?

Just price it as it is - an arm and a bloody leg and your first born....

Kevin Milkins
22-May-08, 23:02
I have a trip to do down south and it scares me to death on how much juice it is going to take .
The last time I filled my Disco up it cost £99.38 and I was a bit miffed not to make the £100 . That was a few weeks ago so I think before I set off this time we will be breaking new ground.
It does not look good for the future.

2little2late
22-May-08, 23:18
Don't be surprised if after the last time the government have introduced measures to arrest protestors (and I expect seize any vehicles) so many hauliers may shy away from doing anything too extreme. Dare say even sounding your horn in support of anything will be an arrestable offence!!!

I know this is a ridiculous scenario, but if every fuelled form of transport was stopped for a couple of days surely we could bring the whole country to a stand still. Wouldn't the government have to do something about the cost of fuel then? Imagine the millions? of pounds that would be lost.

Angel
22-May-08, 23:21
Bridgeend garage... Diesel £1.37... could not belive it...

Angel...

MadPict
22-May-08, 23:27
The government suggests that the motorist need to buy more fuel efficient vehicles but before long we won't be able to pay for the fuel our current vehicles use. So how the hell are we supposed to replace our present vehicle with an expensive, supposedly, greener option.

Rheghead
23-May-08, 00:44
If you think Caithness is bad, I was in Orkney last week. Diesel 139.9/litre. And most of it tax. Scandalous.

How do you work that one out?:confused

MadPict
23-May-08, 00:50
How do you work that one out?:confused

VAT and Duty makes up ~70% of the price of a litre of fuel...

joxville
23-May-08, 01:01
I know this is a ridiculous scenario, but if every fuelled form of transport was stopped for a couple of days surely we could bring the whole country to a stand still. Wouldn't the government have to do something about the cost of fuel then? Imagine the millions? of pounds that would be lost.

Good idea in principle but just means everyone would need to fill up on day 3 or 4 so the Government would still get the tax it missed on day 1 & 2.

MadPict
23-May-08, 01:03
No VAT on fuel petition -
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NoVATonFuelDuty/

Work out the extra tax you pay...
http://www.abd.org.uk/fuel_tax_calculator.htm

Rheghead
23-May-08, 01:11
VAT and Duty makes up ~70% of the price of a litre of fuel...

So what is the VAT paid on a Orkney litre of fuel @£1.399?:confused

MadPict
23-May-08, 01:19
VAT rate 17.5%
VAT per litre 20.84p
Cost without VAT 119.9p
Fuel Tax per litre (HMRC) 50.35p
True Fuel Cost 68.71p
Total Tax 71.19p
Including VAT on Fuel Tax 8.81 p
% of Forecourt cost which is tax 50.88%
Total tax rate 103.60%

This does not include Duty which is separate - slightly out of date price now but -
http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html

Rheghead
23-May-08, 01:29
VAT rate 17.5%
VAT per litre 20.84p
Cost without VAT 119.9p
Fuel Tax per litre (HMRC) 50.35p
True Fuel Cost 68.71p
Total Tax 71.19p
Including VAT on Fuel Tax 8.81 p
% of Forecourt cost which is tax 50.88%
Total tax rate 103.60%

This does not include Duty which is separate.

Price per litre = £1.399p
less 17.5% = £1.1906p
less £0.5035p= £0.68p = true price of petrol

So yes, most of it is still tax, but only just if you work it out that way.

But since oil is actually free when it comes out of the ground, it is all tax, right?

Fran
23-May-08, 01:57
Tesco in wick is now the most expensive as at today at 115.9
Dunnets and richards, wick are the cheapest at 114.9...these are prices for unleaded,

MadPict
23-May-08, 08:40
I think I can see where this is going Rheghead....

Obviously the oil in the ground is "free" but then someone has to find it, extract it, pay the landowners, refine it, ship it then distribute it. But even with all the costs of that in the price of what the motorist pays, its 'base price' is only 32 ppl (on a example price of 107.9ppl (http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html)) - it's what the modern day equivalent of Dick Turpin adds that makes it so damn expensive.

Ricco
24-May-08, 21:17
This morning I drove down to Portsmouth for a fishing trip. As I went past a petrol station I noticed that the price of deisel was a horrendous 125.9 per ltr. On the way back this evening it had gone up to 130.9!! Same gas station, too.

Rheghead
24-May-08, 21:33
I think I can see where this is going Rheghead....

Obviously the oil in the ground is "free" but then someone has to find it, extract it, pay the landowners, refine it, ship it then distribute it.A bit like windfarming, no? But even with all the costs of that in the price of what the motorist pays, its 'base price' is only 32 ppl (on a example price of 107.9ppl (http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html)) - it's what the modern day equivalent of Dick Turpin adds that makes it so damn expensive.

A barrel of crude is going to rise to $200 per barrel by 2010. I doubt whether we can say the price of petrol is mostly tax then. The good thing about the price of oil being mostly tax is that the Economy is influenced less by increases in oil prices.

Saveman
24-May-08, 21:41
By 2010 we will only have 10 years of oil left at the very most......according to one industry insider I spoke to this week.......:)

MadPict
25-May-08, 00:33
A barrel of crude is going to rise to $200 per barrel by 2010. I doubt whether we can say the price of petrol is mostly tax then. The good thing about the price of oil being mostly tax is that the Economy is influenced less by increases in oil prices.

No doubt if, and when, oil reaches $200 the Chancellor will ensure that the amount of tax/duty levied on a gallon of fuel will still be around the 70% mark and public transport will still be non existent, even though the money raised is supposed to help improve PT. That's a laugh...

A bit like windfarming, no?
Nice to see my hunch was 100% spot on...

joxville
25-May-08, 10:49
By 2010 we will only have 10 years of oil left at the very most......according to one industry insider I spoke to this week.......:)

One of my colleague's has a friend who works in the American oil industry. According to this friend America shutdown hundreds of well's and imports a lot of oil. Then when the rest of the world has run dry America still has some for itself. May be hogwash but I love a conspiracy theory:D

Rheghead
25-May-08, 13:18
Nice to see my hunch was 100% spot on...

Actually, it wasn't, your hunch drew me to the similarity, I hadn't thought about it till then.;)

MadPict
25-May-08, 16:01
Damn - cart before the horse?..[lol]