PDA

View Full Version : Adults' perceptions of young people - consultation

rfr10
14-Mar-08, 18:03
CONSULTATION ON THE PERCEPTION OF YOUNG PEOPLE

A consultation is being carried out on adults of the Caithness area. We would like to know how you perceive young people in the area you live.

Media representations of young people are usually very negative as we constantly hear about "yobs" and young offenders, first time offenders, etc and never as much focusing on the positive points of young people.

How do you feel, as an adult, young people treat you in general. Have you had any positive / negative encounters with young people which influences your overall view on this titled group?
What do you like about young people/ what don't you like about them?
Do you feel frightened when you come across groups of young people on the streets at night time?
Have you any children/ teenagers of your own and do you feel they are any different from the young people refered to frequently in the media?
How do you perceive young people in general? Good/ bad.
What would you change about them if you could?
Do you believe those that hang about aimlessly on streets at night should find something more worthwhile to do with their lives or do you believe they should be allowed to hang about as they are still young and should be enjoying themselves when they still are.
Please give any comments you have no matter how little it may be.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Julia
14-Mar-08, 18:31
Generally with disrespect, I can't help but feel intimidated if I see a lot of youngsters loitering. I shouldn't generalise but the majority of my encounters have been negative!

Royster1911
14-Mar-08, 18:35
Why not hold this in the inner cities of Scotland? Could it be that all the feedback would be negative and scathing? What you are really asking is about Wick, Thurso and the small number of villages around the county. Hardly huge numbers to work on to give anyone any usefull information. May we ask what the results would be used for should anyone give their views? Will it be used to improve the lives of the people in Westerdale to the same degree as the people of Thurso and Wick? No, thought not[disgust]

rfr10
14-Mar-08, 18:41
Why not hold this in the inner cities of Scotland? Could it be that all the feedback would be negative and scathing? What you are really asking is about Wick, Thurso and the small number of villages around the county. Hardly huge numbers to work on to give anyone any useful information. May we ask what the results would be used for should anyone give their views? Will it be used to improve the lives of the people in Westerdale to the same degree as the people of Thurso and Wick? No, thought not[disgust]

The results will only be used by Highland Youth Voice to assist them in coming to a conclusion to why young people are so negatively represented in media, etc and help them in taking the necessary measures to try and reduce the effect they have.

rfr10
14-Mar-08, 18:55
Generally with disrespect, I can't help but feel intimidated if I see a lot of youngsters loitering. I shouldn't generalise but the majority of my encounters have been negative!

Could you give any examples of your encounters? If you don't wish for everyone to see them, you can send me a PM.

Don't worry if you don't want to though.

Royster1911
14-Mar-08, 19:32
The results will only be used by Highland Youth Voice to assist them in coming to a conclusion to why young people are so negatively represented in media, etc and help them in taking the necessary measures to try and reduce the effect they have.

Try standing outside the RBofS in Olrig street most nights and you will get all the answers you need. You dont need our help with this, you need the parents help. But, you know that. Do you not????

rfr10
14-Mar-08, 19:36
Try standing outside the RBofS in Olrig street most nights and you will get all the answers you need. You dont need our help with this, you need the parents help. But, you know that. Do you not????

Yes, I know, it is the parents we should be asking aswell but I'd also like to have the views of as many adults as possible regardless if they have children or not because different adults will have different views on this topic.

chaz
14-Mar-08, 20:02
Iv got 3 teenagers they are liked by most, keep out of the hanging round the street scene,are very family oriantated,and have some decent teenage friends.They are focused on thier intrests, and do a lot as a family.
On the other hand groups of drunken youngsters with nothing better to do at nights are intimidating, as are loud aggresive groups in and around town during holidays and weekends.
My kids are not perfect,but they do respect others, a lot now have no respect for anything or anyone.

dook
14-Mar-08, 23:58

A consultation is being carried out on adults of the Caithness area. We would like to know how you perceive young people in the area you live.

Media representations of young people are usually very negative as we constantly hear about "yobs" and young offenders, first time offenders, etc and never as much focusing on the positive points of young people.

How do you feel, as an adult, young people treat you in general. Have you had any positive / negative encounters with young people which influences your overall view on this titled group?
Do you feel frightened when you come across groups of young people on the streets at night time?
Have you any children/ teenagers of your own and do you feel they are any different from the young people refered to frequently in the media?
Do you believe those that hang about aimlessly on streets at night should find something more worthwhile to do with their lives or do you believe they should be allowed to hang about as they are still young and should be enjoying themselves when they still are.Please give any comments you have no matter how little it may be.

Thank you.

Not often the media have got it bang on but......

There appears to be a total lack of respect probably down to violent video games/American TV/parental discipline blah blah blah. Who cares about the well researched reason? There just is.
The best thing about young people is that they'll get old and face the younger generation too/worst thing is that they'll never be as old as I am
You would be stupid not to fear any large congregation of people in dark places (well maybe not cinemas)
Yeah got a couple. To be honest the only difference is that they are younger at the moment. Not in trouble yet but can easily end up following the wrong path.
I perceive each individual differently. To be honest, and a huge generalisation, I feel they want to grow up to fast and address issues that shouldn't be addressed until life treats you to some real ding dong experiences
I wouldn't change the kids, I'd change most of the parents and this society full of whiners that won't even tell the kids off
If you can give an example of something that tiny percentile of youths want to do, and will stick at it, heck I'll build it myself. "There's nohing to do". What utter rubbish. There's more to do now than there ever was and we still bend over backwards for the very few that can't motivate their tiny minds. How many swing parks/skateboard parks/adventure play grounds etc now lie totally empty after 000's being spent?

rfr10
15-Mar-08, 00:44
Thanks for all that dook, really appreciated.:D

rfr10
15-Mar-08, 00:46
dook, have you personally experienced any bad enouters with teenagers at all at any time?

JAWS
15-Mar-08, 02:11
Having watched young people now for several decades the biggest problem is that they just refuse to learn. During all that that time I can honestly say that the way youngsters behaved in the 1970s was absolutely terrible and I think it an absolute disgrace that they still behave in exactly the same way.
I cna't speak for the 1960s because I was too busy being one myself to bother to stop and study them.
Come to think of it I seem to have some vague recollections of old fogies (Wrinklies to you) saying much the same things about me and my mates but i could be wrong.

As for youngsters creating fear, well, what can i say, Teddy Boys in the 50s, just before my time but I can tell you about some of their tricks, including flick-knives and bike chains.

Then the Mods and Rockers in the 1960s when a good day out was to go to the seaside on your Scooter or Bike in the thousands and battle it out on the beach. They took Churchill's speech about fighting on the beaches etc really to heart and did their best to comply.

!970s, they brought the Bovver Boys, the name says everything and they did their best to live up to it.

The 60s and 70s were also the era of the real Football Hooligans, not at the odd game as now but at every game.

rfr10, don't let anybody tell you that the youngsters of today are any worse than they ever were because it's just not true.
Believe me, in 30 or 40 years time you will be making the same complaints about the youngsters of that period and your contemporaries will be saying how much better things were in the past and how they wre so well behaved when they were that age.

I heard a comment the other week about the disgraceful and ignorant behaviour of youngsters. The comments were made not by somebody about today’s youngsters but but by an Ancient Greek Teacher nearly 3,000 years ago. Some things never change, it's an "age thing" so don't let anybody tell you that today’s youngsters are the worst there has ever been because it's not true.

rfr10
16-Mar-08, 12:56
Thanks for that JAWS, I've noted a lot of your points down.

Really appreciate that information.

veekay
16-Mar-08, 13:01
I heard a comment the other week about the disgraceful and ignorant behaviour of youngsters. The comments were made not by somebody about todayI heard a comment the other week about the disgraceful and ignorant behaviour of youngsters. The comments were made not by somebody about today’s youngsters but but by an Ancient Greek Teacher nearly 3,000 years ago. Some things never change, it's an "age thing" so don't let anybody tell you that today’s youngsters are the worst there has ever been because it's not true.

Jaws how right you are. I can remember my neighbours yelling at us when we were youngsters. Stuff about bikes being too loud, being disrespectful, being on the streets. All sorts of rubbish. Well it was rubbish to us. We were just 16-18 years old and having fun. We weren't rude ( well not often and mainly to number 52 because she was an old hag!) and we didn't make that much noise, well we didn't think we did.

Perhaps people should remember what they were like and not looking through rose tinted specs either and perhaps they will be a little more tolerent of youngsters today. As for the media, have you noticed they never, or rarely, say anything good done youngsters but constantly tell us of the terrible things. I truely believe it isn't the majority just a very small loud and ignorant minority.

No help to the original question sorry

rfr10
16-Mar-08, 13:09
As for the media, have you noticed they never, or rarely, say anything good done youngsters but constantly tell us of the terrible things. I truely believe it isn't the majority just a very small loud and ignorant minority.

Totally right, this is what we are trying to stop- all the negative press that young people get nowadays. We want to come up with solutions for this problem.

weeboyagee
16-Mar-08, 18:23
I have no problem in answering the questions posed above and will gladly do so.

I find that society and our local community are generally intolerant of "youth" and throw the baby out with the bath water - some youths are bad therefore they are all bad - what nonsense.

Just look at the history of this forum. Someone complains about a youth and what they did and posts it on here and the rank and file are in supporting that thread for pages and pages at a time. Someone posts in favour of excellent achievement (Wick High Rugby Club etc) and you will barely see one page of congratulations, support and the like.

It is an age thing - big style. That's why I am not old - I am just old-er!!!! How many of us could actually do well to stand back and think, just think, before we judge and consider what is going through the mind of the youth - especially teenagers? Yeah, sure there are some right troublesome louts out there - but there are even toublesome louts that are crying out for some sort of support that has been missing in their lives.

I would say that more are landing in the nick and that it is becoming a norm to have to accept that there are therefore more to rehabilitate. Some just screaming out for a fresh opportunity. It breaks your heart at times to see that some are very much wishing to prove that they have landed up in the wrong company or learned their lesson yet we who are so upright (not me personally;)) deny them the opportunity to show that they have learned the error of their ways.

We were no angels when we were kids and too many of us now want the community around us to be without the regressions of our younger members of society.

Another point while I'm having a rant,.... the world has changed and so has society and unfortunately the local community who were youths of a different era fail to realise the changes that our youth now engage with or have to face and challenge. If we do not look to try and incorporate the problems and accept that their way of life may not be as we would wish it then what chance have we of being able to have a youth tolerant of the seniors amongst them? Precious little.

Boy racers - I remember Saxovtr when he first started posting and how intolerant the org was of him (me included for a short period of time), the less educated or alpha-numerically skilled (not the less intellegent) that can't spell but want to contribute often have this pointed out to them as part of the contribution of other posters, the film Brokeback Mountain encouraged scorn in our forums but our youth have to either engage with this or incorporate it. Good grief, some of the kids in this house chalked on the path during the summer (beautiful chalk drawings) easy to wash away - what a hullabaloo from my neighbours - they needed to get a life. It was washed away and the path, would you believe it, isn't damaged - shock, horror.... but the kids will remember (at the age of 4 and 6) wondering what the awful crime was that they committed.

Yes,.... we are intolerant and becoming increasingly so towards our youth - what are we gonna do about it then? I may not be married but I have had 5 of them living in my house for over a year-and-a-half from aged 5-17, male and female, I have two lads that I am more than a second father to aged 18 and 20 - and all their mates thrown in to boot - boy have I become a fast learner recently! May I respectfully suggest that generally our local society (not everyone however) is yet to get up to speed.

WBG :cool:

dook
16-Mar-08, 19:33
dook, have you personally experienced any bad enouters with teenagers at all at any time?

Yes indeed. You?

silverfox57
16-Mar-08, 20:52
having working in wick and thurso on night shift for years have seen gangs with hoods running about from dark till 3or 4am have been chased by them on many occasions, pelted with eggs etc,etc, police have stopped for info but as they are hooded can not help,gangs are very brave in pack but are cowards on there on as have stopped one on his way home cry ed and asked me not to tell police,this is happing tonight in both towns?

JAWS
17-Mar-08, 00:02
Oh, and something I forgot to mention. Some if my parents and grandparents generations very occasionally would forget themselves and talk about the tricks they used to get up to to annoy people. Black cotton tied to a door knocker so it could be pulled to knock on a door. When the door was opened there was nobody there because they were hidden and the cotton could not be seen due to poor street lighting. Wait a while and repeat the process again and again. But you didn't see that here! ;)
The people who were telling me that were talking about over 100 years ago so not much changes.

As for violence, well, what can I say? Flick knives I have mentioned but add to that, knuckle-dusters - It's so I don't hurt my knuckles knocking on hard doors, officer, cut-throat razors - as seen in barber's shops in old films for those who haven't heard of them - a very effective slashing weapon with a blade that folds neatly away but can be "flickeed" open, bike-chains tacked with cotton underneath a jacket collar - in case my chain snaps, honest! - to be used like a flail, razor blades sewn behind jacket lapels - in case somebody grabs you by them - they soon let go, thick belts with heavy metal studs fastened to them - use same as bike chain or as protection round fists.

The razor Gangs of Glasgow were famed nationwide in the 1950s. They were eventually subjected to a massive crack-down after one of them used a razor on a baby's face to mark out noughts and crosses on it.

It's terrible what the youth of today are like, remember, things were never as bad as now in my day! :eek:

TBH
17-Mar-08, 03:06

Do you believe those that hang about aimlessly on streets at night should find something more worthwhile to do with their lives or do you believe they should be allowed to hang about as they are still young and should be enjoying themselves when they still are.Please give any comments you have no matter how little it may be.

Thank you.Jaws is right, things were just as bad if not worse in the 60's-70's, 80's and 90's. Up here in Caithness there would be fist fights at the barn dances, no prisoners taken all because of which part of the county you came from. Kids today have for the most part overcome those geographical barriers and like a minority in the 70's to present actually have good friends from all over the county without distinction or prejudice. Prejudice is something children are taught and not born with, remember that.

JAWS
17-Mar-08, 03:30
TBH, I don't think he is looking for a problem rather he is looking at the way youngsters are "demonised" in the media as being worse than any previous generation which has ever existed.
We have seen it when we were young and also to several other sets of youngsters over the years. What has to be remembered is that to this generation it is new and something they have not seen before.
What makes things worse is that with the media now it is given wall to wall coverage 24/7 whereas with us it was a short report on the evening news and few lines in the press.

TBH
17-Mar-08, 03:46
TBH, I don't think he is looking for a problem rather he is looking at the way youngsters are "demonised" in the media as being worse than any previous generation which has ever existed.
We have seen it when we were young and also to several other sets of youngsters over the years. What has to be remembered is that to this generation it is new and something they have not seen before.
What makes things worse is that with the media now it is given wall to wall coverage 24/7 whereas with us it was a short report on the evening news and few lines in the press.My misinterpretation jaws and I have, probably jumped in there with both feet in my mouth. These things have indeed gone on ad infinitum and you are right that the media is all encompasing now and things that may now have been ignored are now well publicised. In my conclusion the world has always been an bad place but nowadays we hear more about it.

rfr10
17-Mar-08, 16:53
Thanks to everyone who is responding to this thread, it's greatly appreciated. It might not look like I'm commenting much on your responses but believe me, I am noting all the points down that everyone has made. Keep them coming if you have more to say!

It would be useful to hear any personal experiences you have had with young people, being good or bad.

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 17:16
I must say that. after speaking with someone high up in Northern Constabulary yesterday in Inverness, he had said that young people are given far too much negative press and he is delighted with the young people who get involved in things such as youth organisations. He didn't seem to have a bad thing to say about most young people and said that it was only certain ones who give the rest a bad name. Was very interesting to hear what he had to say.

dook
20-Mar-08, 17:40
I must say that. after speaking with someone high up in Northern Constabulary yesterday in Inverness, he had said that young people are given far too much negative press and he is delighted with the young people who get involved in things such as youth organisations. He didn't seem to have a bad thing to say about most young people and said that it was only certain ones who give the rest a bad name. Was very interesting to hear what he had to say.

Who d'ya speak to?

weeboyagee
20-Mar-08, 18:42
Absolutely agree with whoever stated that in the Northern Constabulary. Far too much negative press about the youth of today - there's a certain topic on the forum just now that we should be supporting and praising youth for their achievements by the score and the comments of support and praise at this point are at best disappointing and at worst down right miserable.

Nuff said.

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 18:52
Who d'ya speak to?

Wont be naming names. I suppose it's not like it's a bad thing he said but still, just incase. All I can say is, Highland Youth Voice Executive members shadowed heads and directors of departements of the council and wellbeing alliance organisations and the police officer (this probably is not his title however) was talking with us at the meal and expressed some very interesting opinions including the one I said. I didn't shadow him though, I shadowed the director of social services.

dook
20-Mar-08, 18:54
Wont be naming names. I suppose it's not like it's a bad thing he said but still, just incase. All I can say is, Highland Youth Voice Executive members shadowed heads and directors of departements of the council and wellbeing alliance organisations and the police officer (this probably is not his title however) was talking with us at the meal and expressed some very interesting opinions including the one I said. I didn't shadow him though, I shadowed the director of social services.

Oh go on.............

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 18:55
Absolutely agree with whoever stated that in the Northern Constabulary. Far too much negative press about the youth of today - there's a certain topic on the forum just now that we should be supporting and praising youth for their achievements by the score and the comments of support and praise at this point are at best disappointing and at worst down right miserable.

Nuff said.

Thank you for that comment weeboyagee =]

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 18:58
Oh go on.............

Why is it of interest to you anyway? :Razz

ocd
20-Mar-08, 22:10
I would like to echo weeboyagees posts.

There are a select few youths who are out to cause trouble, but, the majority of our youths are law-abiding kids just hanging out with their mates. But, dare they wear a hoodie and they must be a thug...

IMO most of the trouble makers are probably crying out for attention which has most likely been missing from their upbrining.

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 22:23
thanks for your comment ocd :)

dook
20-Mar-08, 23:17
Why is it of interest to you anyway? :Razz

Thought it might have been my mum.

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 23:31
Thought it might have been my mum.

It won't have been. It was a man.

dook
20-Mar-08, 23:34
It won't have been. It was a man.

You know my mum?

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 23:36
You know my mum?

I don't know, why?

dook
20-Mar-08, 23:40
She drives the humour bus around Caithness

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 23:45
And what exactly is the humour bus?

dook
20-Mar-08, 23:49
If your really quick ya might catch it.

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 23:55
If your really quick ya might catch it.

Yes I'm quick and yes I've caught it. :)

Ricco
21-Mar-08, 08:44
I realize that I am not going to be referring to Caithness in my answer.... but of the hundred or so children that go through my classes every year most are very nice kids who go on to do great things with their lives. However, as usual, there are a small minority (and there were when I was a kid) who are disruptive, bullies, disrespectful and it is this small number that earn the label 'yobs'. Sadly, a significant number of other children think these yobs are 'cool', simply because they are their peers. Such support makes the yobs feel more important and this fuels their anti-social ways. Of all the youngsters in a 10 mile radius where I live there are only about 12 -15 who are a problem... and many of them come from further afield, dropped off by irresponsible parents.

It would help immensely if the old habit of sending such anti-social members to 'Coventry'. Without the support and admiration of their peers such behaviour would soon disappear. Come on - stand up for yourselves, you know that it is wrong, stand alongside your elders and ostracize this kind of poor behaviour.

canuck
21-Mar-08, 10:02
Why not hold this in the inner cities of Scotland? Could it be that all the feedback would be negative and scathing? What you are really asking is about Wick, Thurso and the small number of villages around the county. Hardly huge numbers to work on to give anyone any usefull information. May we ask what the results would be used for should anyone give their views? Will it be used to improve the lives of the people in Westerdale to the same degree as the people of Thurso and Wick? No, thought not[disgust]

I have within my parish one of those inner cities of Scotland. Granted I have been here for only 6 months and I don't have a huge amount of contact with the residents but the kids I have met have been wonderful. I am in the Primary School one morning a month and I have never worked with a more delightful group of children. (Okay my own were pretty special, but for this discussion they don't count.)

An observation I can make (although these are anecdotal situations and not scientifically arrived at) is the non-crowding in both the primary school here and the high school where my children studied. In both cases the buildings were designed to hold at least twice the number students who now attend. The kids are particularly non-violent, happy learners. Yes, the social dynamics of the home situations are very different in the two, but I have observed in both of the schools a sense of tranquillity which I haven't observed in more densely populated school situations. This is just my theory.

The high school age kids whom I know in Edinburgh are pretty special too. I have a high school a few blocks from where I live and I've never had any cause to think anything but positive thoughts about the kids I meet from that school.

rfr10
21-Mar-08, 10:06
I realize that I am not going to be referring to Caithness in my answer.... but of the hundred or so children that go through my classes every year most are very nice kids who go on to do great things with their lives. However, as usual, there are a small minority (and there were when I was a kid) who are disruptive, bullies, disrespectful and it is this small number that earn the label 'yobs'. Sadly, a significant number of other children think these yobs are 'cool', simply because they are their peers. Such support makes the yobs feel more important and this fuels their anti-social ways. Of all the youngsters in a 10 mile radius where I live there are only about 12 -15 who are a problem... and many of them come from further afield, dropped off by irresponsible parents.

It would help immensely if the old habit of sending such anti-social members to 'Coventry'. Without the support and admiration of their peers such behaviour would soon disappear. Come on - stand up for yourselves, you know that it is wrong, stand alongside your elders and ostracize this kind of poor behaviour.

What exactly is your job if you don't mind me asking. It's useful to know this if you work with young people.

rfr10
21-Mar-08, 10:09
I have within my parish one of those inner cities of Scotland. Granted I have been here for only 6 months and I don't have a huge amount of contact with the residents but the kids I have met have been wonderful. I am in the Primary School one morning a month and I have never worked with a more delightful group of children. (Okay my own were pretty special, but for this discussion they don't count.)

An observation I can make (although these are anecdotal situations and not scientifically arrived at) is the non-crowding in both the primary school here and the high school where my children studied. In both cases the buildings were designed to hold at least twice the number students who now attend. The kids are particularly non-violent, happy learners. Yes, the social dynamics of the home situations are very different in the two, but I have observed in both of the schools a sense of tranquillity which I haven't observed in more densely populated school situation. This is just my theory.

The high school age kids whom I know in Edinburgh are pretty special too. I have a high school a few blocks from where I live and I've never had any cause to think anything but positive thoughts about the kids I meet from that school.

Thank you Canuck for your comment.
-----

Everyone's comments are very useful so please continue.

Thanks!

Ricco
21-Mar-08, 17:10
What exactly is your job if you don't mind me asking. It's useful to know this if you work with young people.

I am a teacher of ICT at a mixed comprehensive near Reading.

rfr10
21-Mar-08, 18:05
I am a teacher of ICT at a mixed comprehensive near Reading.

Oh right, thank's for that. How old are the people you teach?

Ricco
21-Mar-08, 21:13
Oh right, thank's for that. How old are the people you teach?
They are 11 right through to 18. Most of them are excellent; teenagers, of course, but nice ones. We do have our fair share of what might be termed as yobs but they are very much the minority.

rfr10
21-Mar-08, 21:26
They are 11 right through to 18. Most of them are excellent; teenagers, of course, but nice ones. We do have our fair share of what might be termed as yobs but they are very much the minority.

Have you ever lived in Caithness? Can you compare the young people there to the ones here?

©Amethyst
22-Mar-08, 12:49
No matter where I am, Caithness, Inverness, Edinburgh...

I always feel intimidated by teenagers. I am only 23 years old. Not too long left the teenage years behind me. But I have had enough bad experiences at school and in my days in Thurso to put me off being around teens for good.

Put it this way... you might think your children are angels... but without adult supervision they can be little terrors.

I had one incident where a neighbours son threw a stone at me from across the road. It wasn't a small stone either. Hit me on the head, felt dizzy but managed to get to my street and crawl up the garden path, where I passed out. And this was on the way home from Thurso High school.

Ok, so you hear of worse things happening. But the number of 'good' kids around are greatly outnumbered by the 'bad' ones. Which, I believe is why the media talk teens down.

That kid who threw the stone is probably at uni, or through uni by now. But it's kids like him that held me back for years and years. I, regrettably feel resentful towards the likes now as a few years ago I didn't have the confidence to go past the front door. Could have gone to uni if it weren't for the way children like to bully those that don't participate in their stupid 'I'm better than you' games.

Whatever happens, there will always be good kids around. Just not enough of them unfortunately.

2 more incidents... went to college. Got 2 weeks away from my final exams for an HNC in Computing - one of the girls on the course decided that it would be fun to strangle me so she waited until after class... pinned me against the wall in the corridor and pressed against my throat until I blacked out. Then she did a runner.

Most recently though some kid, probably about 15, tried to push me down a flight of stairs near my home in Inverness. Was walking down in the early evening towards the river to meet a friend. At the top of the raining stairs a large group of kids were sitting drinking buckfast. A few of them started getting mouthy and I ignored them, next thing I feel a hand against my back. Thankfully I wasn't pushed so hard because one of the bigger guys in the group got hold of him and tried to pull him back.

Why, when the good kids stay in and spend time with their families should we hear about the good things they can do when they're not out being good and showing the rest of the world. In these incidents only once has anyone tried to help me. And there are more incidents than those. Still only one helpful stranger who was a friend of the boy that tried to harm me.

2 of those examples were in Thurso. One in Inverness. I find it's easier to find kind people where the population is higher.

I regret running from the Raining Stairs... I wish I had stopped to say thank you to that boy who held his friend back. But fear took over.

The next time something so awful happens to you - will you hide it away, don't tell anyone what so-and-so is capable of? It can be bad that the media talk bad of young people but at the same time it could be a very good thing!

Ricco
22-Mar-08, 17:06
Have you ever lived in Caithness? Can you compare the young people there to the ones here?

I lived in Castlegreen Road for 4 years - went to THS. Too long ago to make a meaningful comparison.

rfr10
22-Mar-08, 17:49
No matter where I am, Caithness, Inverness, Edinburgh...

I always feel intimidated by teenagers. I am only 23 years old. Not too long left the teenage years behind me. But I have had enough bad experiences at school and in my days in Thurso to put me off being around teens for good.

Put it this way... you might think your children are angels... but without adult supervision they can be little terrors.

I had one incident where a neighbours son threw a stone at me from across the road. It wasn't a small stone either. Hit me on the head, felt dizzy but managed to get to my street and crawl up the garden path, where I passed out. And this was on the way home from Thurso High school.

Ok, so you hear of worse things happening. But the number of 'good' kids around are greatly outnumbered by the 'bad' ones. Which, I believe is why the media talk teens down.

That kid who threw the stone is probably at uni, or through uni by now. But it's kids like him that held me back for years and years. I, regrettably feel resentful towards the likes now as a few years ago I didn't have the confidence to go past the front door. Could have gone to uni if it weren't for the way children like to bully those that don't participate in their stupid 'I'm better than you' games.

Whatever happens, there will always be good kids around. Just not enough of them unfortunately.

2 more incidents... went to college. Got 2 weeks away from my final exams for an HNC in Computing - one of the girls on the course decided that it would be fun to strangle me so she waited until after class... pinned me against the wall in the corridor and pressed against my throat until I blacked out. Then she did a runner.

Most recently though some kid, probably about 15, tried to push me down a flight of stairs near my home in Inverness. Was walking down in the early evening towards the river to meet a friend. At the top of the raining stairs a large group of kids were sitting drinking buckfast. A few of them started getting mouthy and I ignored them, next thing I feel a hand against my back. Thankfully I wasn't pushed so hard because one of the bigger guys in the group got hold of him and tried to pull him back.

Why, when the good kids stay in and spend time with their families should we hear about the good things they can do when they're not out being good and showing the rest of the world. In these incidents only once has anyone tried to help me. And there are more incidents than those. Still only one helpful stranger who was a friend of the boy that tried to harm me.

2 of those examples were in Thurso. One in Inverness. I find it's easier to find kind people where the population is higher.

I regret running from the Raining Stairs... I wish I had stopped to say thank you to that boy who held his friend back. But fear took over.

The next time something so awful happens to you - will you hide it away, don't tell anyone what so-and-so is capable of? It can be bad that the media talk bad of young people but at the same time it could be a very good thing!

You mention teenagers drinking buckfast. Do you think underage drinking in a big problem with teenagers in the Highlands? What's the main problem with teenagers? Vandalism, under age drinking, under age sex, assaults, etc? What encourages them to do all these? Is it family, peer pressure or their own choice?

dook
23-Mar-08, 10:27

How does three teenagers going about slashing folk indiscriminantly then nailing one of my mates. We had to hold his face together until the ambulance arrived. Not a million miles from here either. Aah, that lovely transition from childhood to adulthood. Still though, they proved their manliness.

All prejudice is caused by experience and I've got both in bucketfuls......

©Amethyst
23-Mar-08, 10:49
You mention teenagers drinking buckfast. Do you think underage drinking in a big problem with teenagers in the Highlands? What's the main problem with teenagers? Vandalism, under age drinking, under age sex, assaults, etc? What encourages them to do all these? Is it family, peer pressure or their own choice?

I can only give you my personal experience here... but I think underage drinking is a big problem, and not just in the Highlands. Alcohol can (but not always) lead to violence. So there are the two big problems in my opinion.

In many cases I think that peer pressure can play a big part in it - but in most, I believe that these kids are just unhappy either because of issues at home or because of not getting the support that I feel should be given at school (when I was at school I was just told don't do this and don't do that - mostly negative things).

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 12:55
How does three teenagers going about slashing folk indiscriminantly then nailing one of my mates. We had to hold his face together until the ambulance arrived. Not a million miles from here either. Aah, that lovely transition from childhood to adulthood. Still though, they proved their manliness.

All prejudice is caused by experience and I've got both in bucketfuls......

What exactly happend to the people who did this?

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 12:57
I can only give you my personal experience here... but I think underage drinking is a big problem, and not just in the Highlands. Alcohol can (but not always) lead to violence. So there are the two big problems in my opinion.

In many cases I think that peer pressure can play a big part in it - but in most, I believe that these kids are just unhappy either because of issues at home or because of not getting the support that I feel should be given at school (when I was at school I was just told don't do this and don't do that - mostly negative things).

Do you think they are well disciplined at home? Could this also be a problem- lack of it?

scorrie
23-Mar-08, 17:19
The razor Gangs of Glasgow were famed nationwide in the 1950s.

It is much safer nowadays. Health and Safety legislation has forced modern gangs to carry Philishaves and the use of sideburn trimmers is strictly prohibited. The application of Nivea lotion is also compulsory.

The triumph of Braun over Brains ;)

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 17:25
If we think it's bad up here, I'd hate to find out what it's like further down south with all those police programmes on TV, it sounds like a war compared to here but yet there're still things which happen up here too. Why is it we hear more about crime down south of England than we do up in Scotland?

dook
23-Mar-08, 18:57
What exactly happend to the people who did this?

6 years out in half. The usual...

©Amethyst
23-Mar-08, 19:04
Do you think they are well disciplined at home? Could this also be a problem- lack of it?

Maybe, maybe not. If there is no discipline at home, then they may have it in their heads that they can get away with things in the street. After all, if mummy and daddy find out, it's ok they won't get into trouble. But it could also be the opposite, too much discipline... feeling suffocated because of it... pent up frustration that they can't do things right, so maybe they just take it out on strangers because they're too afraid of their parents.

Who knows for sure. Unless you manage to speak to a kid that goes out to cause trouble I guess you're not going to know for sure.

Also, regarding your comment regarding kids in the south of England and how we hear about that on TV more than we hear about problems in Scotland - I think it could very well be a population thing. After all, there are more people there than there are in the Highlands, thus more crimes are commited on a daily basis.

Whitewater
24-Mar-08, 00:37
I was a youth leader for many years before I retired. I have always had a positive outlook on youngsters, find them both fun loving and interesting. I have learned that most of them have respect for you, provided you also show them respect.

Like 'Jaws' I remember the Teddy boys and all the various cults down through the decades. I was no angel in my young days, got up to all sorts of pranks, also smoked and drank. Many of us tend to have very short and selective memories when it comes to discussing our own youth. The kids of today are no worse than we were, there will always be one or two who go over the score, but that is life, and no matter what we do or attempt to do we will never overcome human nature. As children we all liked to have fun, and sometimes, regretably, it got out of hand.

When judging todays children it would pay us to truthfully reflect on our own past before jumping to conclusions.

rfr10
24-Mar-08, 13:02
Thanks for everyone's comments here. I now have enough information to record. :)