PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Matthews has been found

bekisman
14-Mar-08, 15:41
Maybe a happy ending after all?

Missing West Yorkshire schoolgirl Shannon Matthews has been found alive, it has been reported

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7296756.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7296756.stm)

starry
14-Mar-08, 15:42
I am delighted she has been found alive but confused as to what has gone on.

chaz
14-Mar-08, 15:43
Maybe a happy ending after all?

Missing West Yorkshire schoolgirl Shannon Matthews has been found alive, it has been reported

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7296756.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7296756.stm)

That is good news:)

balto
14-Mar-08, 15:45
oh my god i hope this is true, glad she is safe and well the end of a teriable few weeks for her mum.

candyfloss
14-Mar-08, 15:47
That is brilliant news, just watching it on the news now :D

honey
14-Mar-08, 15:47
what a relief...

balto
14-Mar-08, 16:10
its saying on sky news that she was found inside the base of a divan bed, they have arrested a 39 year old man

unicorn
14-Mar-08, 16:10
What brilliant news :D

dandod
14-Mar-08, 16:17
what great news. she was only a mile from home. there are some sick people out there hope the man who took her rots in jail. so happy for her family.

unicorn
14-Mar-08, 16:18
That said I hate to think what mental state the poor child is in. She will need huge support for a long time.

Julia
14-Mar-08, 16:25
What absolutely fantastic news! Her family must be so relieved!

ciderally
14-Mar-08, 16:32
dont know what has went on..but to think that she could vanish just like that.... is very scary...and now found more or less round the corner ...thank god she is alive...

Max
14-Mar-08, 16:57
Fantastic - good news for once!!

Penelope Pitstop
14-Mar-08, 17:00
What a relief to hear she's alive. :)

sweetpea
14-Mar-08, 17:03
God that's great! Well done the wifie in the flat below. She heard what she thought was kids footsteps and phoned the police.

Julia
14-Mar-08, 18:19
The news reporter on Sky stated that this is the first time a child has been found alive after being missing for so many days!

The chap arrested is a member of her step-father's family.

trix
14-Mar-08, 18:46
i wis so happy when ma auld cheil telt me 'e news, her faimily must be choost delited....

poor poor lascie. i wonder what she hes bin thro....

ashaw1
14-Mar-08, 18:52
Thank god! Every parents nightmare!

sam
14-Mar-08, 18:56
I'm glad to hear that she has been found alive, her parents must be so relieved, you cant begin to imagine what they have all gone through especially Shannon.

Rie
14-Mar-08, 19:12
fantastic news,

binbob
14-Mar-08, 19:21
i wis so happy when ma auld cheil telt me 'e news, her faimily must be choost delited....

poor poor lascie. i wonder what she hes bin thro....

why do u not communicate in english...i find ur posts very irritating.mainly because i do not understand...by the way ,i am scottish.

percy toboggan
14-Mar-08, 19:22
Excellent news.
Mind you, I'm glad I'm not at the street party tonight...what a rum looking lot. I've never seen such a bunch of strange looking people on one street!
Some of 'em could go haunting part time!

Champagne and John Smith's all swilling down the hatches tonight.
Though I don't begrudge 'em a swally those scenes should have been tagged onto the BBC's 'White' series which, apart from the first prog. has done its best to portray working class folk as numptys.

unicorn
14-Mar-08, 19:23
surely a pm would be more appropriate for this.

percy toboggan
14-Mar-08, 19:25
why do u not communicate in english...i find ur posts very irritating.mainly because i do not understand...by the way ,i am scottish.
I'm English and I can tell what she's on about. I quite like dialectical posts, I certainly don't find them irritating....all part of the org. panoply.

bekisman
14-Mar-08, 19:28
Just been watching Sky News and it's quite a convoluted situation; The man arrested is possible a member of her step-father's family, but with Shannon's Mother having seven children with five different fathers that's a hell of an extended family the Police have got to investigate..

percy toboggan
14-Mar-08, 19:41
Just been watching Sky News and it's quite a convoluted situation; The man arrested is possible a member of her step-father's family, but with Shannon's Mother having seven children with five different fathers that's a hell of an extended family the Police have got to investigate..

Also revealing that some hours later she has still not been re-united with her family.

This child is still at risk...and should be closely monitored, even in the medium term. There are many like her...so many families are chaotic, fractured and dysfunctional. A minority of course, and we don't think about it most of the time. Life is no bed of roses for too many children today - I s'pose it was always the same. Count your blessings.

armanisgirl
14-Mar-08, 20:11
It's a while since I've posted on here, but having just watched the ITN news, I couldn't not. I had a lump in my throat watching that segment. The immense joy for all those close to Shannon. It tends to be the opinion that a child must be dead if s/he is not found within the first day or two. A mother's nightmare that, for once, has turned to her wildest dreams coming true - getting her wee lassie back.

And yet again, the joy is marred by others; the mother has 7 children by 5 different fathers (and??? not being interested in contraception does not make a woman a bad mother though this seems to always be what is implied - even when it has not been said). It is a fragmented family (and???? The family trend these days is not mummy/daddy/kiddies together forever - a sad but real fact of today's society). It is a dysfunctional family (and???? Does this mean having a child abducted is okay then because they are 'dysfunctional'? define 'normal function' - hmmm, everybody could be decribed as being dysfunctional for some petty reason or another!). The dad and step-dad don't get on (so this means one of them MUST have harmed the child? I think not! It appears that the man who had Shannon was related to one of the 'dad's' - so why was she not found for 3 weeks - seems to me the abductor was someone the rest of the family had no desire to be around or they would have found Shannon straight away, unless one of the dad's hid her there of course).

Why does anything in the news that has a happy ending have to then follow with 'snidey' comments about the circumstances? The thread was about Shannon being found - NOT a launch pad for criticising or blaming and certainly not for having a go at someone's grammar/slang/dialect etc.

In the week that a child has been found, and also a child who was murdered 15 years ago is remembered (Jamie Bulger), can we not please think about the families invloved? They all having feelings, including Shannon. For once, just be happy the ending in this case is so much better than it could have been. And, also, stop and think of little Jamie Bulger, who would have been 18 years old on Sunday is his life hadn't been cut short. Jamie's mother would no doubt have had the same frowns and suspicions directed at her when Jamie first disappeared, and sadly when he was found. Nobody, regardless of who they are, where they are from, or what their status is (employment/race/sex/location/marriage/etc etc) deserves to go through the hell these people have gone through and continue to go through. Amen.

scorrie
14-Mar-08, 21:14
I heard that she was found under a bed. Was this a case of Divan Intervention?

Anyway, great that she is alive and not another victim of some evil individual.

KCI
14-Mar-08, 21:19
I've just found out that Shannon has been found - it's been a long day!

I'm so glad to hear this - fantastic news.

horse
14-Mar-08, 21:28
<P>
i find ur posts very irritating.i am scottish.</P>
<P>are you from caithness.</P>

chaz
14-Mar-08, 21:36
It's a while since I've posted on here, but having just watched the ITN news, I couldn't not. I had a lump in my throat watching that segment. The immense joy for all those close to Shannon. It tends to be the opinion that a child must be dead if s/he is not found within the first day or two. A mother's nightmare that, for once, has turned to her wildest dreams coming true - getting her wee lassie back.

And yet again, the joy is marred by others; the mother has 7 children by 5 different fathers (and??? not being interested in contraception does not make a woman a bad mother though this seems to always be what is implied - even when it has not been said). It is a fragmented family (and???? The family trend these days is not mummy/daddy/kiddies together forever - a sad but real fact of today's society). It is a dysfunctional family (and???? Does this mean having a child abducted is okay then because they are 'dysfunctional'? define 'normal function' - hmmm, everybody could be decribed as being dysfunctional for some petty reason or another!). The dad and step-dad don't get on (so this means one of them MUST have harmed the child? I think not! It appears that the man who had Shannon was related to one of the 'dad's' - so why was she not found for 3 weeks - seems to me the abductor was someone the rest of the family had no desire to be around or they would have found Shannon straight away, unless one of the dad's hid her there of course).

Why does anything in the news that has a happy ending have to then follow with 'snidey' comments about the circumstances? The thread was about Shannon being found - NOT a launch pad for criticising or blaming and certainly not for having a go at someone's grammar/slang/dialect etc.

In the week that a child has been found, and also a child who was murdered 15 years ago is remembered (Jamie Bulger), can we not please think about the families invloved? They all having feelings, including Shannon. For once, just be happy the ending in this case is so much better than it could have been. And, also, stop and think of little Jamie Bulger, who would have been 18 years old on Sunday is his life hadn't been cut short. Jamie's mother would no doubt have had the same frowns and suspicions directed at her when Jamie first disappeared, and sadly when he was found. Nobody, regardless of who they are, where they are from, or what their status is (employment/race/sex/location/marriage/etc etc) deserves to go through the hell these people have gone through and continue to go through. Amen.
Well said x:)

TBH
14-Mar-08, 21:38
I can't see where it says the family is dysfuntional, I can't see where it says the Karen Mathews was a bad mother to her children. The kid was going to school every day, got kidnapped and there is not a lot her mum could have done about that.
The people in that area maybe deprived but I bet they are as good as anyone else.

Shannon's real father, Leon Rose, 29, then defended her Stepfather. "They really got on well. I was not around for some years and he has been a real dad to her. If there had been any problems I am sure she would have told me. I've always thought he was a decent guy

percy toboggan
14-Mar-08, 21:55
The people in that area maybe deprived but I bet they are as good as anyone else.

As valid no doubt...but 'good' ...it depends how you define the word....and how you define 'deprivation'.
I didn't see anyone who'd gone short of food - (au contraire) and I imagine there's a few schools nearby, and a public library. So no real deprivation I'd have thought. It's all relative innit?

Still, if I needed help I'd sooner be amongst that lot than stuck wi' nowt down in Hampstead or in the prosperous areas of Leeds. Socio-economically I'm closer to Dewsbury than Alderley Edge.

My comments merely reflected mild amusement at the motley bunch of neighbours...I wasn't suggesting they'd all been unearthed from beneath a large paving slab.

TBH
14-Mar-08, 22:16
As valid no doubt...but 'good' ...it depends how you define the word....and how you define 'deprivation'.
I didn't see anyone who'd gone short of food - (au contraire) and I imagine there's a few schools nearby, and a public library. So no real deprivation I'd have thought. It's all relative innit?

Still, if I needed help I'd sooner be amongst that lot than stuck wi' nowt down in Hampstead or in the prosperous areas of Leeds. Socio-economically I'm closer to Dewsbury than Alderley Edge.

My comments merely reflected mild amusement at the motley bunch of neighbours...I wasn't suggesting they'd all been unearthed from beneath a large paving slab.Valid is as well as saying they have a right to exist. Good is that although they may not have money it does not mean they are not good parents with a sense of family values, that is not the preserve of the well off. Deprivation as in maybe a lack of employment opportunities, a perception of being classed as worthless in a society where money is God, Intelligent minds that think it isn't worth bothering with higher education as they think they will get no-where in life so why bother. It is all relative, to the size of your bank balance.

percy toboggan
14-Mar-08, 22:58
Deprivation as in maybe a lack of employment opportunities, a perception of being classed as worthless in a society where money is God, Intelligent minds that think it isn't worth bothering with higher education as they think they will get no-where in life so why bother. It is all relative, to the size of your bank balance.

There are no real 'lack of employment opportunities' in Britain for anyone with a permanent address. Why else would we have welcomed a million incomers from the European Union to do jobs the 'deprived' do not want?

Anyone who thinks 'why bother' when it comes to education should be transported to the third world to do the domestic chores for families whose kids walk barefoot for miles to get an education.

TBH I sense we find more accord than discord but I don't agree with you on this occasion.

balto
14-Mar-08, 23:01
just hope that with the help of her friends and family she can get over this and the mental scars will heal eventually.

Julia
14-Mar-08, 23:34

Under the circumstances I don't find your first comment very funny.

And as for you second comment, well she already is a victim of an evil individual, have you not watched the news! You don't have to be dead to be a victim you know. [disgust]

bekisman
14-Mar-08, 23:57
Armanisgirl: "And yet again, the joy is marred by others; the mother has 7 children by 5 different fathers (and??? not being interested in contraception does not make a woman a bad mother though this seems to always be what is implied - even when it has not been said)."

How the hell do you know what I was implying!?

It was me that started this thread off, no "'snidey' comments" there was there?

I was merely pointing out how complicated it will be to investigate. simple, end of. OK?

Incidentally I've got four kids, been divorced, got step-children, got a huge extended family.

dandod
15-Mar-08, 00:13
for god sake. i find it truly disgusting the way some people on here are.a girl who many people may have given up for dead has been found alive and all some can do is use a thread reporting the good news to slag off her family and those who live around her.even worse make jokes. i think her family have been very brave throught this whole ordeal.and i would personally love to have neighbours like that they never gave up hope. along with the police i think they have done a fantastic job and it has paid off.god forbid of anything like this should happen to anyone on here i dont think they would take too kindly to some of the posts written on here.

scorrie
15-Mar-08, 13:43
[QUOTE=Julia;358527]Under the circumstances I don't find your first comment very funny.

And as for you second comment, well she already is a victim of an evil individual, have you not watched the news! You don't have to be dead to be a victim you know. [disgust][/QUOTE

I don't care if you find it funny or not.

The lassie is alive, is that not good cause to be happy about it?

I reserve the right to have my own sense of humour.

scorrie
15-Mar-08, 13:45

Thanks for the negative rep on this Ash. I hope it made you feel better. I happen to think that negative rep is there for the childish among us. Maybe one day you might grow out of it. I've disabled my rep. Ooh, how frustrating for YOU.

percy toboggan
15-Mar-08, 14:19
i think her family have been very brave throught this whole ordeal..

I'm sorry...you obviously have first hand knowledge of the girls family.

dandod
15-Mar-08, 16:31
. There are many like her...so many families are chaotic, fractured and dysfunctional.

no i am sorry do you have first hand knowledge if the family? you seem to have judging by the post above.

Julia
15-Mar-08, 16:59
Thanks for the negative rep on this Ash. I hope it made you feel better. I happen to think that negative rep is there for the childish among us. Maybe one day you might grow out of it. I've disabled my rep. Ooh, how frustrating for YOU.

Disabling your rep does not stop you from continuing to accumulate it [lol]

I think it is very sad that some people must search to find something negative to say about a perfectly miraculous situation. All that matters is a child has been found alive!

Ash
15-Mar-08, 17:00

i really do not care i can bad rep you if i choose, what you said was awful!

scorrie
15-Mar-08, 18:30
Disabling your rep does not stop you from continuing to accumulate it [lol]

I think it is very sad that some people must search to find something negative to say about a perfectly miraculous situation. All that matters is a child has been found alive!

There was absolutely nothing negative whatever in my post. It was a play on words at the end of a happy outcome. In any case your comments are utterly two-faced. You had a theory that the McCanns were responsible for their daughter's death. This was at a time when the girl was still missing. If anything was in bad taste it was YOU speculating about a girl parents at a time when they had to be assumed innocent. Take a good long look at yourself before you start having a pop at other people. That way you might avoid becoming a hypocritical Janus.

scorrie
15-Mar-08, 18:43
i really do not care i can bad rep you if i choose, what you said was awful!

Please elaborate. We all have our own styles. My post ended in a celebration of the lassie being found. Anyone taking anything other out of the post is clearly either very desperate to make a negative comment or is so wrapped up in the faux sympathy hysteria concerning people whom we do not know that surrounds such events, that they have lost sight of other people's right to express their feelings in their own manner.

percy toboggan
15-Mar-08, 19:38
Anyone who bad reps somebody simply because they disagree with them is a loser. A sad loser at that.
The rep thing is a bit of fun...it's mildly heartening to see it build up. When you post a joke that's in questionable taste (and yours wasn't scorrie, not in my opinion) but I suppose humour is subjective enough for the odd person to take umbrage with it...if that's the case then perhaps 'bad rep' is a legitimate repsonse. I wouldn't use it myself. Maybe it's a tool for the relatively inarticulate. Console yourself with that Scorrie.

Ash
15-Mar-08, 20:31
you make it seem like im the 1st person to give bad rep, ive received good and bad, im sorry if i dont think your humour is funny........

JAWS
15-Mar-08, 21:57
If posters do not like getting "Bad Reps" there is a simple solution, turn your Reps off so you will not get them.

If you leave your Reps on then accept that you will sometimes be given bad Reps. If you are childish enough to only want pats on the head then that is your problem, not the one Bad Reping you. :roll:

scorrie
15-Mar-08, 22:13
you make it seem like im the 1st person to give bad rep, ive received good and bad, im sorry if i dont think your humour is funny........

In all my time on the org only two people have left bad rep for me. You have done it twice, the other person did it once in the days when you could hide behind anonymity. Funnily enough the other person complained here about being left anonymous bad rep by another user. Then, lo and behold, when the anonymity was removed this self same complainant was revealed to be an anonymous bad repper themselves.

OK, you don't think my humour is funny, that is fine. I don't think it is any reason for you to leave bad rep, far less refer to my comment as "disgusting"

Any reasonable thinking person would see that my post was upbeat. The girl was found safe and well. Had she been found dead and I had made the comment, I would rightfully have been judged to have been inappropriate in my remark.

I would have had more admiration for you if you had put your comments here for all to see and to have tried to explain what was disgusting about it. A "behind the curtains" clipe reeks of someone being very immature in their methodology.

scorrie
15-Mar-08, 22:15
If posters do not like getting "Bad Reps" there is a simple solution, turn your Reps off so you will not get them.

If you leave your Reps on then accept that you will sometimes be given bad Reps. If you are childish enough to only want pats on the head then that is your problem, not the one Bad Reping you. :roll:

As you well know, it is not that basic. See my previous post and stop trying to stir the pot. Sarcasm and stirring seem your only tactics. Not once in all my time here have you had anything positive to say about any of my posts.

flash
15-Mar-08, 22:25
Scorrie

I personnaly had a chuckle at your post, I saw no disrespect to the situation, as you said, a play on words.

By the way, delighted that Shannon turned up alive and hopefully unharmed.

percy toboggan
17-Mar-08, 18:28
Seems the Matthew's mother thinks 'twins' are any two kids who have the same father! Such is the novelty of such a concept in her house.

She apparently refers to 'Shannon' as a twin , of another child who is a year older! Oh very dear.

I'm heartened that over the weekend I'm not the only one who regarded the street celebrations as little more than a concentration of village dopes - all in one place.

The best outcome for the child might be a long spell in the care of a couple with brains...rather than returning to a chaotic, dysfunctional home where the only common bond is they are all as thick as two short planks.

Munro
17-Mar-08, 19:02
Please can we have more threads that follow this path, far more interesting than just a happy news story, thankyou for 30 minutes of the Org at its best.

scotsboy
17-Mar-08, 19:05
Seems the Matthew's mother thinks 'twins' are any two kids who have the same father! Such is the novelty of such a concept in her house.

She apparently refers to 'Shannon' as a twin , of another child who is a year older! Oh very dear.

I'm heartened that over the weekend I'm not the only one who regarded the street celebrations as little more than a concentration of village dopes - all in one place.

The best outcome for the child might be a long spell in the care of a couple with brains...rather than returning to a chaotic, dysfunctional home where the only common bond is they are all as thick as two short planks.

Pure class Percy. This is Britain! I am sure you are all comforted by the thought that this is being broadcast all over the World............you know it may just help stem the immigration tide!

Margaret M.
17-Mar-08, 19:09
I think Scorrie's Divan Intervention theory would have been in bad taste had the outcome been different. We have to find a wee chuckle any which way we can in this life or we'll all become a depressed, morose bunch (or in some cases, more so).

Percy, I admire your ability to fearlessly express your opinion (I think) :).

Sapphire2803
17-Mar-08, 19:19
Well... I found it funny Scorrie and it that makes me a terrible person, then so be it.

Anyway, I notice Shannon hasn't been returned home yet (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/17/nshannon617.xml). Seems a bit strange. I heard that her mother has so far only spoken with her from the other side of a glass barrier. Does this mean that the parents are connected to her disappearance in some way? Or is it standard procedure while they find out the full story from Shannon? Just seems odd :confused

karia
17-Mar-08, 19:25
Anyway, I notice Shannon hasn't been returned home yet (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/17/nshannon617.xml). Seems a bit strange. I heard that her mother has so far only spoken with her from the other side of a glass barrier. Does this mean that the parents are connected to her disappearance in some way? Or is it standard procedure while they find out the full story from Shannon? Just seems odd :confused

Straightforward procedure to keep the chain of evidence 'clean' whilst they interview her....they say she may not even know she had been abducted and that would swiftly change once out of police care.

bekisman
17-Mar-08, 20:09
Sapphire2803 was asking if it was normal practice for Shannon's mother not to physically touch her child.. This from the Telegraph:
"Karen Matthews was allowed only a short glimpse at Shannon through a one-way mirror - to confirm it was indeed her daughter - before being led away by police. Despite the frustration, she accepted the reason why they were unable to touch. Detectives had to avoid the possibility of cross-contamination between the two, which could affect the legal process. Police will be examining Shannon's clothing for fibres that may provide clues as to where she has been. "

Not wishing to be accused of implying misconstrued conclusions, but is it not a complicated set up the Police have to scrutinize, and dictates the time the investigation is taking?:
"In addition to her mother's many relatives, her stepfather also had a myriad of family members who all needed to be investigated. Shannon's mother, Karen, 32, has had seven children by five different fathers and each had to be checked out. She did not register the father of her first child, Tony, 11, who was born when she was 20. Shannon's father is Leon Rose, who is also the father of her older brother Ian, 10, who lives with him. The couple split up before Shannon was two and he now lives with a new partner in Huddersfield. Karen's next relationship was with Paul Hooker, the father of Daniel, seven, who lives with his father. That relationship lasted less than two years and Karen then took up with William Marshall, the father of Kelly, six, who lives with him. The identity of the father of Cameron, five, remains a mystery because he was not registered at birth. Her current relationship is with Craig Meehan, 22, with whom she has another child, Courtney, two. Mr Meehan's mother was one of nine brothers and sisters, creating numerous further potential routes for investigation. Officers were trawling through Shannon's complex family tree when they received information that led them to the flat of Michael Donovan - Mr Meehan's uncle. Mr Donovan's two daughters, aged 10 and 12, were in care and he lived alone, although he had no convictions for sexual offences. Mr Donovan's ex-wife Sue Bird has six children by three fathers. A senior police source said: "We would have got to Donovan eventually but someone we spoke to told us something that pushed him up the list."
Hopefully it will turn out no harm was done to this child..

unicorn
17-Mar-08, 20:50
Blooming heck christmas and birthdays must be a bleeding nightmare in that family :eek:

Sapphire2803
17-Mar-08, 20:55
Reminds me of that song... I'm me own Grandad!! :lol:

karia
17-Mar-08, 21:21
Reminds me of that song... I'm me own Grandad!! :lol:

At least then you'd know what you/he wanted for Xmas!;)

Rheghead
18-Mar-08, 00:09
I think the whole world should leave the wee lass well alone. I wouldn't want any ones life to be made into a circus for the financial benefit of newspaper moghuls. What is that for a life of a wee girl?:confused

bekisman
18-Mar-08, 00:23
See (BBC) that "Michael Donovan charged with kidnapping and false imprisonment, will be appearing at Dewsbury Magistrates' Court tomorrow morning." Might find later what he was up to.

karia
18-Mar-08, 00:31
I think the whole world should leave the wee lass well alone. I wouldn't want any ones life to be made into a circus for the financial benefit of newspaper moghuls. What is that for a life of a wee girl?:confused

Hear Hear!

Voyeurism has no place in this story...like anyone will listen!:roll:

Poppy_88
18-Mar-08, 13:52

Haha... I know!! I'm from Thurso and that is foreign to me...