PDA

View Full Version : When the kids leave home.....

Penelope Pitstop
14-Mar-08, 13:05
Well, my kids are coming up in years...one will be leaving the nest soon...boo hooo. lol

Just wondered, those of you whos kids have already left, how did you cope with it?

I mean, it will be strange having the house to ourselves, less washing and general house work, less coming and going of kids and friends, generally less conversation and crack....it's going to be quiet....god I'll have the OH all to myself:eek:

Don't get me wrong tho', I want them to get on with their lives (we only get one go at it)...but it will be strange.

Would love to hear your stories.:Razz

grandma
14-Mar-08, 13:20
Sorry Penelope P, it could be some time before you get house to yourselves!! Our oldest left, came back and then we had her boyfriend and baby and all the associated washing and cooking to go with it. Moved out now but as she and baby are on their own we see her nearly as often as if she was still living here and I wouldn't have it any other way. Second daughter still at college but her boyfriend more or less moved in with us. (He's a lovely lad). A night on our own is a rare and precious thing. ;)

ciderally
14-Mar-08, 14:17
my son has just left home...he has gone back to wick and set up house...me im compleatly lost....re adapting is pretty awfull...now rob there is something to make me cry....

balto
14-Mar-08, 15:42
i tread the day my kids tell me they are leaving home, as far as im concerend they can stay as long as they want, to many parents expect there kids to leave when they are between 16 - 18. my eldest who is only 10 has said she is never going to leave me.

rob16d
14-Mar-08, 15:46
now rob there is something to make me cry....

Awww *hugs* dont worry xxx

Penelope Pitstop
14-Mar-08, 17:03
Sorry Penelope P, it could be some time before you get house to yourselves!! Our oldest left, came back and then we had her boyfriend and baby and all the associated washing and cooking to go with it. Moved out now but as she and baby are on their own we see her nearly as often as if she was still living here and I wouldn't have it any other way. Second daughter still at college but her boyfriend more or less moved in with us. (He's a lovely lad). A night on our own is a rare and precious thing. ;)

Och, but you're no wanting time on your own really.....plenty time for that when your old:lol:

starry
14-Mar-08, 17:08
My daughter moved out almost 2 years ago and I cried myself to sleep for the first week.
She was terribly homesick and would ring and just cry.
It was very difficult to not cry as well and to try and keep upbeat and encouraging.

I still miss her being around but we speak everyday on the phone and see eachother as often as we can.

I know it is normal part of life and from the moment they are born we are preparing them to be independant and live alone but when it happened it was hard.

canuck
14-Mar-08, 17:09
Well, my kids are coming up in years...one will be leaving the nest soon...boo hooo. lol

Just wondered, those of you whos kids have already left, how did you cope with it?

I mean, it will be strange having the house to ourselves, less washing and general house work, less coming and going of kids and friends, generally less conversation and crack....it's going to be quiet....god I'll have the OH all to myself:eek:

Don't get me wrong tho', I want them to get on with their lives (we only get one go at it)...but it will be strange.

Would love to hear your stories.:Razz

It is pretty awful for sure! It isn't just your own sense of emptiness but you have to deal with the others in the home going through their grieving process as well. In time my youngest one realized that she was getting more attention and I think that helped her a bit.

Learning to adjust your cooking was one thing I remember being difficult.

In some ways it was even worse when the youngest left. By then I was truly on my own and so my mind started thinking of ways to refocus my attention. The solution - 4 months in Caithness. And eventually a permanent move to Edinburgh. I know that is not an option available to everyone. There are other less drastic ways to refocus.

The thing is to neither avoid the feelings generated by the loss nor become immobilized by them.

Good luck.

And from this conversation am I to guess that rob16d may be related to ciderally?

Riffman
14-Mar-08, 18:31
When kids leave home.....

.... they come back 6 months later with no money and 6 months worth of dirty washing [lol]

Penelope Pitstop
14-Mar-08, 20:12
When kids leave home.....

.... they come back 6 months later with no money and 6 months worth of dirty washing [lol]

Funny thing is I'd not be moaning about the washing then, cause I'd be so glad to see her!!!!!I can't help feeling that I'll start to feel old when they leave....you know moving on to another stage of my life.....yikes.....

canuck
14-Mar-08, 22:41
... I can't help feeling that I'll start to feel old when they leave....you know moving on to another stage of my life.....yikes.....

Yes, you will. But the next stage of life is quite okay.

Penelope Pitstop
15-Mar-08, 14:30
Yes, you will. But the next stage of life is quite okay.

Thanks canuck:Razz

golach
15-Mar-08, 15:15
I mean, it will be strange having the house to ourselves, less washing and general house work, less coming and going of kids and friends, generally less conversation and crack....it's going to be quiet....god I'll have the OH all to myself
Would love to hear your stories.
Penelope, it just part of life, in my & Mrs G's case, we have been married for nearly 46 years and the big stages in our marriage were, firstly becoming parents, then as you say the final bairn leaving the nest, Mrs G and I had to learn to speak to each other without the third party, that is was a peculiar feeling, which we got used to very easily, our latest hurdle has been retirement, now that is the most difficult stage of all, no one warns you what 24/7 together will be like:eek: We have now survived 5 years of that, and no blood has been spilt .........yet[lol]

Anne x
15-Mar-08, 16:59
I hated it the first time leaving was the worst after that coming home for holidays weekends etc I used to howl every time she went back slowly got used to it but I used to worry so much about her going from Caithness to the Capital

Is she on the right bus is she eating etc etc I found when I went to stay with her for a few days helped and taught me just how Independant and grown up she had become she even had me jumping on and off buses round the city

Empty nest syndrome but a tidy house and a very quiet house
now its chaos when she comes home and she takes over once again mainly my Computer what to have for dinner etc the list is endless and the pile of wet towels