PDA

View Full Version : One man's love child.....

percy toboggan
13-Mar-08, 18:44
Twice today within the annals of my daily newspaper I read of the rich, and powerful and their 'love children'

It's interesting to note that having been born and raised on housing estates, and continuing to live on one that never, in all my years have I ever heard illegitimate children anywhere near me described as such.

As such they are the fruit of 'single mothers' or 'fatherless' ( a nonsensical concept)...I'll not delve into olde English for the obvious reference. It strikes me that in the interests of socio-economic harmony the splendid term 'love child' should not be the preserve of the powerful and famous.

For those born out of wedlock...and I'm very closely related to such a child, and love her deeply.... I definitely feel from herein the term 'Love Child' should be applied to all...and not just the offspring of bonked secretaries of cabinet ministers, chief's of Police, and Godawful popstars.

I go so far as to say I was a 'love child' myself...even though my parents were married.

Do I have a seconder?

Venture
13-Mar-08, 19:25
Twice today within the annals of my daily newspaper I read of the rich, and powerful and their 'love children'

It's interesting to note that having been born and raised on housing estates, and continuing to live on one that never, in all my years have I ever heard illegitimate children anywhere near me described as such.

As such they are the fruit of 'single mothers' or 'fatherless' ( a nonsensical concept)...I'll not delve into olde English for the obvious reference. It strikes me that in the interests of socio-economic harmony the splendid term 'love child' should not be the preserve of the powerful and famous.

For those born out of wedlock...and I'm very closely related to such a child, and love her deeply.... I definitely feel from herein the term 'Love Child' should be applied to all...and not just the offspring of bonked secretaries of cabinet ministers, chief's of Police, and Godawful popstars.

I go so far as to say I was a 'love child' myself...even though my parents were married.

Do I have a seconder?

I agree with you Percy that this sounds a lot better than some of the things Ive heard them called. A very large percentage of them have been born out of love as in this day and age many couples choose not to marry. This dosent mean that they are not in a loving relationship. I hate it when people use the Olde English word you refer to especially if its used to describe a child. There are some though who I think could be described as being "born out of drink" rather than love but that's not to say they are loved any less by either one or both parents.

Yes Id like to second you on that they should definitely be described as
"Love Children".

percy toboggan
13-Mar-08, 19:37
Thanks Venture..
it just seems unfair to me that entertainers and the rich seem to be the only ones who have these babies.

The term has been with us for decades and is yet another example of the voracity of that auld song...
'it's the poor that gets the blame'

My comments sought only to highlight terminological injustice. I thank thee for your support

karia
13-Mar-08, 19:45
My mum gave birth to me after radical surgery ( Removal of 1 1/4 lungs), I was only the 2nd baby born in Scotland under such circumstances and it would be fair to say she put her life on the line to have me...That's love!:D

And yes, they were married...no matter what some of you think of me!;)

ciderally
13-Mar-08, 20:38
as usual one law for the rich and famous and anouther for the poor....

JAWS
14-Mar-08, 02:56

It's interesting to note that having been born and raised on housing estates, and continuing to live on one that never, in all my years have I ever heard illegitimate children anywhere near me described as such. I can remember the term "Love Child" being used as far back as the 60s and it certainly had nothing to do with the social status of the parents.

The varying names, many of them used in a manner only meant to be disgustingly derogatory, says more about the attitudes of the people using those terms than about anybody else.

Lolabelle
14-Mar-08, 06:37
When I read the title of this thread I immediately thought it was going to be about pedophilia :eek:
How sad is that? What a world we live in that there is so much of it in the news that I jumped to that conclusion and didn't look at the thread for a few hours. I didn't want to read about another horror story. Then I accidently clicked on the wrong thread and was pleasantly suprised to find it wasn't.

As for love children, it would be nice if all children were love children.
Unfortunately, this is not always the case.
Sorry, I know I'm off topic a bit here.
So back to the matter at hand, the various "celebrities" have a world of their own, but in this day and age, there are so many children born from unmarried parents, that there doesn't seem to be much attention paid to it anymore.

Dusty
14-Mar-08, 11:35
I think calling children "born out of wedlock" anything that highlights their "difference" can be demeaning and may stigmatise them.
I found it quite shocking to see Illegitimate written under the Father's Name area on some of my ancestor's Birth Certificates as it seemed so unfeeling to lumber a child with this "dreadful secret" for life. After all, it's not the childs fault that its parent weren't married when they were born.
Another way of looking at it might be, who are we to decide if such a child should be labeled in any way.
However, I think if we must have a label, then Love Child would fit the bill a sight more admirably than many of the others in common usage.

Just my twopennce worth. :)