PDA

View Full Version : How old for ear piercing?

herenow
13-Mar-08, 18:08
Just wondered your opinion on ear piercing in kids!! How old do you think kiddies should be before getting piercings in their ears!

I want my girl done but am not sure if she is too wee!!

Alice in Blunderland
13-Mar-08, 18:14
Does your little girl want her ears pierced ? :)

nicnic74
13-Mar-08, 18:43
My little girl got hers done for her 7th birthday
i thought she was old enough then, but dont
believe in children younger than that getting
it done, i was the same age myself when i got
it done many many moons ago :)

pirateeye
13-Mar-08, 18:49
i was 8 when i got mine done, my sister was 11

Dadie
13-Mar-08, 20:00
I got mine pierced in primary 7 just before the school hols before going up to high school !

tisme
13-Mar-08, 20:03
My daughter got hers done when she was 8. I hate seeing babies with earrings in, but each to their own.

canuck
13-Mar-08, 20:05
I think that my daughter was 10. She was certainly old enough to care for them with only minimal supervision. On the other extreme, I was 48 when I had my ears pierced.

chaz
13-Mar-08, 20:09
My daughter got hers done when she was 8. I hate seeing babies with earrings in, but each to their own.

Snap, i just have a dislike of babies with earings.Mine were 7 and 10

percy toboggan
13-Mar-08, 20:12
Just wondered your opinion on ear piercing in kids!! How old do you think kiddies should be before getting piercings in their ears!

I want my girl done but am not sure if she is too wee!!

My opinion ? : it should be punishable by fine, or community service.

How old?:At least 60 years of age...by then hardly anyone gives a stuff.

This is the second time this subject has been raised within a couple of months.
Why do you want to have holes punched through your childs ears?
To me, the concept is completely bizarre.

And before you pop back at me think: you asked the questions...I answered 'em.

quiteone
13-Mar-08, 22:48
my daughter asked to get them done at 10 but when i took her she bottled it and was too scared, she asked again at 12 and got it done. a friend of mines wee boy got it done in school hols when he was 7 and when he returned to school she was asked to remove them for him for his safety???

NickInTheNorth
13-Mar-08, 22:53
Should not be allowed under 18. If as an adult anyone wants to injure themselves fair enough. But I don't think anyone has the right to make that sort of decision for another human being.

badger
13-Mar-08, 22:55
I can see you're a new member herenow (but glad to see you're here - now) so you may have missed all the earlier threads on this. Like Percy I remembered a long one recently but doing a search I see there have been several. If you go back to General and put piercing in Search you will see masses of opinion on the subject.

Personally I hate to see children with pierced ears. Time enough when they're teenage if they must.

mums angels
13-Mar-08, 23:00
my daughter wanted hers done after seeing friends in nursery with thiers done at age 4 ...i gave in at 4 and half , never had a problem with infections etc .

if your child wants them done ..why not ..if its just you that wants them done i'd wait .

i think babies look terrible with ears pierced

quiteone
13-Mar-08, 23:10
yea i agree babies r far too small makes me cringe. i would never make a child get it done, mine i believe was old enough to make the decision herself. i was the same age when i got it done and i went to a jewelers and lied said that i had parental permission to have it done then went home with earmuffs on thinkin my mum wouldna notice!!!:lol:

balto
14-Mar-08, 15:27
my daughters got them done when they were 8 and 6 we got them done the other year when the school broke up for the summer holidays, they went with 2 other friends at the time so they all got theirs done, but my eldest daughter is the only one with them still in, my youngest i was happy when she decided to let them close. i hate seeing little babies with their ears pierced.

rob16d
14-Mar-08, 15:30
It depends if the child wants them or not

balto
14-Mar-08, 15:34
It depends if the child wants them or not
aye 2 true, i think there are to many mothers out there who are so into fashion and looking good they try to rub it of on their kids, it should be a matter of choice once the child is old enough to understand how they have to clean them.

Poppy_88
14-Mar-08, 15:35
My opinion ? : it should be punishable by fine, or community service.

How old?:At least 60 years of age...by then hardly anyone gives a stuff.

This is the second time this subject has been raised within a couple of months.
Why do you want to have holes punched through your childs ears?
To me, the concept is completely bizarre.

And before you pop back at me think: you asked the questions...I answered 'em.

Totally agree with you again, Percy.. I hate seeing ear-piercing on babies or young children, it makes me so sad.. And angry, as they are too young to understand what they are asking for (if they even old enough to ask! Some aren't!) Or take care of the piercings after.

I was 11 when i got my ear-pierced, and it's as far as i've gone, i fail to see how belly-button studs are attractive in anyway, they look trashy in my opinion. Same with tongue-studs, top-of-ear pierced etc...

In what way is lodged metal attractive??

balto
14-Mar-08, 15:40
Totally agree with you again, Percy.. I hate seeing ear-piercing on babies or young children, it makes me so sad.. And angry, as they are too young to understand what they are asking for (if they even old enough to ask! Some aren't!) Or take care of the piercings after.

I was 11 when i got my ear-pierced, and it's as far as i've gone, i fail to see how belly-button studs are attractive in anyway, they look trashy in my opinion. Same with tongue-studs, top-of-ear pierced etc...

In what way is lodged metal attractive?? i cant see that having a stud in your tongue can be comfy, they look disgusting nothing wrong with getting your ears done but after that i fail to see what is attractive, i personnally dont have anything piereced to much of a coward.

Buttercup
14-Mar-08, 16:48
Here's a link to the thread that was started a month ago on this subject
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=41230&highlight=piercing (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=41230&highlight=piercing)

herenow
14-Mar-08, 17:09
okay im sorry for repeating the thread but im new to the org!!

My wee one is three and a few months and wants it done, i dont see any harm in it. I know its a matter of opinion but i just wondered what everyones was!

I wouldnt mind if she got them done but dont have the heart to take her because i hate to see her cry (which i know she will) because of the initial shock!

Maybe im being crule and leave it untill she inderstands fully!!

sweetpea
14-Mar-08, 17:15
It's not so much the age thing that bothers me but the safety side of it. Kids playing can be rough and it could get caught on clothes or something. I think the pain of that would be worse for her than getting them pierced.

Cinderella's Shoe
14-Mar-08, 17:36
Tell your kids this is how they'll end up if they get their ears pierced too early....

http://www.killuglyradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/failed-audio.jpg

percy toboggan
14-Mar-08, 17:48
Beats me how a three year old can 'want' to have her ear lugs holed.
Are there no clip on baubles available to satisfy this desire for ear adornment?
Just wondering out loud, like yer doo.

herenow
15-Mar-08, 00:21
Yes i say "want" as in "mum i want my ears pierced" I think its a matter of opinion and yes everyone has one, but dont doubt my daughters ability to let her parents know what she wants.

Not that i want a debate but as i said everyone is allowed an opinion!!

percy toboggan
15-Mar-08, 00:27
Yes i say "want" as in "mum i want my ears pierced" I think its a matter of opinion and yes everyone has one, but dont doubt my daughters ability to let her parents know what she wants.

Not that i want a debate but as i said everyone is allowed an opinion!!

If I 'doubt' anything here it's your ability to say 'you might want it but you can't have it'

As you say, everyone is entitled to an opinion...however, a three year olds opinion is not worth much in the general scheme of things.

cullpacket
15-Mar-08, 00:45
What are ye all getting excited about I got my ear pierced a week last friday in the Grove with a 3 mm split pin no blood no infection no pain then again I had a flog oh vino in me! and the time before that was in the Prinny Cafe if ye can mind at far back with a poppy, I've two holes and no ring never seeen one that tickles my fancy, As for an age for a child to have it done beauty is in the eye of the beholder was on holiday in Goa the bairns hed it done nothing wrong with it, How many women don't have ther ear pierced?

percy toboggan
15-Mar-08, 09:13
Whatever my views on ear holes I'd not have them peforated in a third world country. Some risks are not worth the bother.

(Incidentally my comments relate to India...not wherever 'The Grove' is)

<quote>"How many women don't have their ears pierced"<quote>

Your point is......?

cullpacket
15-Mar-08, 22:29
Had a wee look at your posts you have the answers ? I asked a question ? Which you have not replied to ! Lets go forward not backwards.
Women should be pierced at birth save all eh bother..
And eh sailors to pay for there funerals

Have a nice one when you get it.....!!!!!!

JAWS
15-Mar-08, 22:51
I have vague recollections from when I was young hearing that there was a habit of having baby girls ears pierced due to some "Old Wives "Tale.
I cannot bring to mind exactly what it was but it was to prevent some dire consequence to terrible to contemplate or some similar nonsense.

I would think that the idea has already gone the way of most similar superstitious nonsense as education and information have become more widespread and medical science has advanced.