PDA

View Full Version : nappy rash

Dadie
13-Mar-08, 10:09
We have been battling with nappy rash for a while now but anytime I manage to get an appointment with the Doc it seems to clear up overnight (and gets worse after I see the Doc) any suggestions on bum creams so far i have used bepanthen, sudocream, one from the health food shop containing calendula, mild hydrocortisone and fusidin from the Doc but nothing keeps it at bay!

honey
13-Mar-08, 10:21
I always used sudocream, but recently used Bepanthen and i think that is brilliant. However, if Bubs is teething just now, cream probably wont help as much. When that happened with my sons it was just as much nappieless time as possible to let the fresh air in.

canuck
13-Mar-08, 10:46
I was going to suggest 'air' and parental patience during teething. Honey you got your post in before I got the fingers flying.

It takes a lot of parental attention to go the 'air' route. I used cloth diapers (a word that fails spell check on the org so read instead nappies). It was easy to lie the baby on a folded diaper. It might not be so easy with disposables so a folded towel may have to substitute. A wee sprinkle of corn starch (corn flour in UK lingo) helped and was a nice non-irritating absorbent instead of harsher powders.

Medical types may say that teething and rash have no connection - but I always found that they did.

KCI
13-Mar-08, 10:48
I used to use sudocream all the time, but have found that bepanthen is better.

There is another cream that you can get from the Doctor - I'm not sure if it is available from the chemist or not. I'm trying to remember the name! It's yellow in colour, and you only need to use a tiny amount. The Doctor had recommended that it was better than sudocream, bepanthen etc.

Sorry, I'll post again if I can remember the name!

As Honey has said, if your little one is teething, then there probably won't be much you can do about the nappy rash. If you can let your little one have some time without the nappy, it might help.

carasmam
13-Mar-08, 10:52
I just use good old vaseline, she's never had nappy rash yet.

(I've just jinxed myself haven't I :lol::roll:)

KCI
13-Mar-08, 10:54
I just use good old vaseline, she's never had nappy rash yet.

(I've just jinxed myself haven't I :lol:)

Oh, Oh! :eek:
Well, you know where this thread is, if you need advice about nappy rash!

Sapphire2803
13-Mar-08, 10:57
Yep, I'd definitely agree with the fresh air method. I found it helped if I switched to a bowl of warm water and infacare (I love the smell of that stuff) and washed their bots at changing time instead of using wipes.

Dadie
13-Mar-08, 11:04
I think she is getting her back teeth in at the moment
my mum has been on at me to get her potty trained (she is 22 months old and doesnt know yet when she needs a pee) but im reluctant to start as we are expecting a new baby in about ten weeks time and that looks like a nightmare to me!

Dadie
13-Mar-08, 11:08
toddling around and peeing (or worse) on the carpets is not an option at the moment though!
Im starting to find it hard to get down to clean up the accidents now!

carasmam
13-Mar-08, 11:08
Just out of curiosity what wipes do you use?
Congratulations on your imminent arrival too :D

Dadie
13-Mar-08, 11:10
Usually what is cheapest at the moment johnsons sensitive but have used tescos but i dont like huggies wipes they seem to spread rather than lift!

carasmam
13-Mar-08, 11:19
As you said it's probably teeth, they are getting the blame for a lot of things in this house :) I remember someone saying that oranges might cause nappy rash?

KCI
13-Mar-08, 11:31
I remember one baby I looked after, with very sensitive skin. The only wipes I could use were the ones from Lidl's, the unfragranced ones.

If it's not an option to have your little one going nappyless, maybe try using cotton wool and water, instead of wipes. Maybe that would help.

As Carasmam has said, certain fruits can cause nappy rash as well.

Dadie
13-Mar-08, 11:34
OK i have an appointment today for the docs ... just changed her bum and it has cleared up a lot since this morning im going to look like a paranoid mum why cant i seem to get an appointment when its really bad? Last night she was crying if you so much as went near her bum and took three goes before she would lower herself into her bath..

mama2
13-Mar-08, 11:44
A bit of advice given to me by my Granny was to use raw beaten egg, I thought she was mad at 1st but it does work (or it did for me anyway). I also found that vaseline worked better as a barrier than sudocreme. Hope it clears up soon nothing worse for wee ones.

As for potty training, do it when you feel your child is ready and never mind what anyone else tells you. As the saying goes "Mum knows best". My eldest was potty trained just after his 2nd birthday but my youngest is 21/2 and is not interested in training yet so I'm just going to leave it until he is.

honey
13-Mar-08, 11:51
toddling around and peeing (or worse) on the carpets is not an option at the moment though!
Im starting to find it hard to get down to clean up the accidents now!

if you use the vests that button underneath, you could take the nappie of, and button up the vest, gives a bit of a barrier against some of the accidents that may happen.

good luck, and with the new baby too!! :)

as for potty training, yo will KNOW when bubs is ready for it!!

chaz
13-Mar-08, 12:03
Fresh air:) My daughter uese shaped washable nappies and i did with two of mine, no nappy rash with them:)

mr do dar
13-Mar-08, 12:07
my little boy is 2 in 5 weeks he has always got a rash or spots of some sort its just trial and error and like others have said teething wont help i use sudocrem i swear by it all babys are different good look and congrats on the second baby x:D

Dadie
13-Mar-08, 12:10
have real nappies as well as disposable ones use a mix of the two ... never had a problem with nappy rash until about a month ago now its a losing battle it seems to go then flaresd back up quickly..ps everything is washed in fairy non bio and if i use conditioner its comfort pure which I have used since her birth so its not the washing powder!

chaz
13-Mar-08, 12:17
have real nappies as well as disposable ones use a mix of the two ... never had a problem with nappy rash until about a month ago now its a losing battle it seems to go then flaresd back up quickly..ps everything is washed in fairy non bio and if i use conditioner its comfort pure which I have used since her birth so its not the washing powder!

Not being nosey but have you changed milk, or if you breast feed changed your eating habits?Have you tried fairy conditoner it is a bit softer?

justine
13-Mar-08, 12:34
to be honest the best i can suggest is to always use warm water and cotton wool..and sudocrem....a couple of my little ones had teething nappy rash, and thats the best...No perfumes wipes, just plain warm cooled boiled water, and alot of creme for the first day.....

Hope it clears soon for your little one...I know the poor little ones suffer with this....:(

sharon
13-Mar-08, 12:37
although not recommended by healthcare professionals!! due to salmonella and somepeople have allergies to eggs

but by far the cheapest remedy!

whip up just egg white apply frothy eggs to bum at night and will be alot better by morning! used on all 4 of mines!! only time it didn't work when my son had thrush! needed cream on prescription.
even worked on a rash on my husbands leg! [lol]

used suda as a barrier cream then egg whites when they broke out!

Julia
13-Mar-08, 13:08
I've only got one word for the war against nappy rash Drapolene (http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product_2568_drapolene-nappy-rash-cream-100g-tube.html)

It's donkeys years old but works wonders

mums angels
13-Mar-08, 13:15
My 2 year old never got nappy rash but my first one did and found it was the nappies that caused it ..could never touch huggies or boots own all others were fine, i've heard of alot of rashes are caused by wipes these days too.

my little one has his last two molars coming in at the moment and luckily so far other than biting his fingers no trouble in the bum department ...good luck :) and might see you in the hospital in 9 weeks or so ;)

Elenna
13-Mar-08, 13:46
Hi Dadie...its 'Mum' from the Parentcraft class here. Try Aloe vera. You can get all kinds of creams/ointments with it in, but any sort of those will clog up the absorbent layer of disposable nappies, and the best use of aloe vera is straight from the plant, anyway. Slit the thick leaf all the way down and peel back the skin. Scrape out the green pulp with the blade of a knife, and apply immediately. (you Can actually do 2 or 3 at a time (to last the day), and keep any unused gel in a sealed plastic container in the fridge).

Similarly, try using chamomile tea (cool to room temperature) for cleansing instead of wipes or plain water. You can even use it in a compress (try a bath flannel, soaked and then not wrung out completely) for a few minutes at each changing.

Anything with calendula in will also help, though again, you usually run into the cream/ointment problem. But if you can't let your little one go with a bare botty, you definitely have to be diligent about keeping them dry/clean/changed (I'm sure you are :))

I've cared for six little bottoms (now they're all grown up) and we rarely ever had nappy rash...and when we did, the above worked beautifully (most often the aloe vera).

marlyn
13-Mar-08, 16:44
the last time my little girl had a bad nappy rash, the doctor gave me canesten cream and it worked really well.

Thumper
13-Mar-08, 16:50
Drapolene is excellent,I wouldnt advise the raw egg trick just incase of salmonella etc in the egg,although to be honest i did try it years ago and it did work,but after that I used drapolene x

Murdina Bug
13-Mar-08, 17:30
I tried Kamillosan baby cream on my wee boy's botty and it worked quite well. He had teething rash bum but, we also discovered that he was getting more of a nappy 'burn' rather than a spotty rash - this mainly happened when he ate raisins! We reckoned they were too acidic for his system. You might want to consider that what is going in is causing the problem with what is coming out!

Dadie
13-Mar-08, 19:15
I got timolene from the doc today hope it works but it is to be stored in the fridge so might be a bit cold in the bum:eek:

rich
13-Mar-08, 19:25
I am amazed that so many orgers have nappy rash!

Dadie
13-Mar-08, 19:38
I suppose it affects the very young and the very old:eek:

NickInTheNorth
13-Mar-08, 19:46
There is another cream that you can get from the Doctor - I'm not sure if it is available from the chemist or not. I'm trying to remember the name! It's yellow in colour, and you only need to use a tiny amount.

Hi KCI, could it be metanium that you are thinking of?

Absolutely fantastic stuff, available over the counter from pharmacies, not cheap, but very very effective.

KCI
13-Mar-08, 19:58
Hi KCI, could it be metanium that you are thinking of?

Absolutely fantastic stuff, available over the counter from pharmacies, not cheap, but very very effective.

Ah -that could be it! I know it worked very well. :)

marlyn
13-Mar-08, 20:53
I got timolene from the doc today hope it works but it is to be stored in the fridge so might be a bit cold in the bum:eek:

I had that one a few years ago for my eldest daughter and it worked a treat too.

scorrie
13-Mar-08, 21:16
We used to use Thovaline for our kids. It was much better than Sudocreme in that it seemed to adhere to the skin far more effectively. Sudocreme seemed to wipe off at the drop of a hat.

I don't know if you can still buy it in Boots. It was never openly on sale and you had to ask the Pharmacist for it.

_Ju_
13-Mar-08, 21:25
Don't use any disposable wipes at all....even the hypoallergenic ones. I found the rash got alot better when I used soft cloths, water followed by thourough drying. The wipes made the rash alot worse. I also kept him out of nappies as much as I could.....he loved it!

ellie-lou
13-Mar-08, 22:11
metanium worked for my three kids rash too.you can get it in tescos or chemist:)

balto
14-Mar-08, 15:32
Usually what is cheapest at the moment johnsons sensitive but have used tescos but i dont like huggies wipes they seem to spread rather than lift!
my 2 year old seems to know when i use huggies on him, he finds it sore when i wipe his bum with these i normally always use pampers wipes but if huggies are on offer i would use them(wont again mind you) as for the nappy rash cream i dont really ever need to but when i do i use sudo cream.

honey
14-Mar-08, 16:22
the last time my little girl had a bad nappy rash, the doctor gave me canesten cream and it worked really well.

Ive been given that for my (really bad after pregnancy) acne...