PDA

View Full Version : Caithness 'Vernacular' Housing.

Rheghead
12-Mar-08, 23:15
I tend to dispair at planning permissions given for styles of houses in Caithness and those that should be be built but I know they wouldn't be given permission.

Firstly, my first impression of what Caithness 'vernacular' actually entails is the traditional stone built house, rectangular in plan and steep sloping roof. Now we see the all too familiar wooden frame kit houses of all sorts of wonderful designs that is quickly becoming the norm and the neo-vernacular style in Caithness.

But if someone wants to build something that is different in style that may be a better environmental alternative then permission may not be given.

I just wondered what everyone thought was important if they were considering a new-build? Traditional style? Something exotic and different? Low environmental or visual impact? And would you object to a house based on the fact that it is different to others around the plot?:confused

Oddquine
13-Mar-08, 02:08
What gets me is the planners saying that "this wouldn't last in the Caithness weather". So their problem with that is? Do they have to bear the cost if they are right?

Imo, as long as a house won't look out of place in the situation planned, what right does the Government/planning authorities have to tell you what standards your house has to adhere to?

Does it cost them anything if you decide to build something which isn't timbered framed with a rendered exterior and insulation out the yingyang with disabled access etc?

Are they expected to live in it......and is anyone else forced to live in it?

I'm afraid that planning, particularly the building warrant side is just making jobs for the sake of it.

If I want to live in house exactly like my ancestors did in "less enlightened times" what on earth does it have to do with anyone but me?

northener
13-Mar-08, 08:48
Bland grey boxes that simply look like banged-out grey boxes.

Depressing.

Errogie
13-Mar-08, 09:33
Unfortunately cost and the plentiful availability of timber frame kit houses can make them a too easy choice. However the adaptability of this type of construction should make it possible to play around with the roof pitches and dimensions to produce a customised living space which is closer to whatever the traditional norm was in Caithness. You just have to ask your contractor what can be done and I don't think it should necessarily add to costs significantly. The National Trust for Scotland have already gone down this road with this approach in areas where they manage property.

What really kills the effect of a good attempt at better design for me is when the Council stipulates standard road widths, pavements and street lamps, no doubt for the best of motives and in no time at all you've got another bog standard housing estate and any attempt at individuality has been ironed out. It should be interesting to see how the much publicised housing design competition and development will turn out in Inverness.

I also think that much of what we see, certainly when it comes to flat roofs on public buildings, is the result of the influence of the bean counters (sorry I mean accountants) on good architectural design and practice.