PDA

View Full Version : New Band

nutty da drummer
08-Nov-05, 03:20
New band going now, called "Red Wall." We play different types of music, from Good Charlotte to The Killers. We play soft music to heavier music. We consist of:

Vikki Macleod=Vocals/Rythem Guitar
Andrew Williamson=Vocals/Lead Guitar
Michelle Ross=Bass Guitar
Michael Norburn=Drums/Percussion

zebedy
02-Dec-05, 18:08
Are Red Wall Going to Be playing any gigs outside skool?

nutty da drummer
02-Dec-05, 19:51
hopefully, there are a couple of us that are wanting to rent out the viewfirth one night and get lots of bands playing. myself as well as colin manson from "On Honre" but yes, well be playing outside of the school. weve got an hours set list so far so hopefully well get asked, just need to get peoples attention.so thats why we are going to try and get as many gigs as possible. and if anyone is wanting to get us to play,we are definatly up for it. either email me at m_norburn@hotmail.com or text me at 07749523109. cheers

nutty da drummer
02-Dec-05, 19:57
or phone even,as long as its after 16:00. you can also get in touch through our website, www.myspace.com/redwal and its a typo. lol

Uppiebalad
02-Dec-05, 20:28
Do you have your own material for gigs, it's what the punters are looking for in bands these days.

nutty da drummer
03-Dec-05, 11:16
we are starting to write our own stuff at the moment, though we mostly play covers just now

Uppiebalad
04-Dec-05, 13:34
Here's a thought- have you written anything in the past- what did you do with it- chuck it in the bin?
I'm sure you and your fellow band members will have written other things. In the main music, tv, film, theatre (and in the amateur fileds too) rejected material or unused works are NEVER dumped. The reason is because for whatever reason they've decide against a work, it doesn't mean that it can't be put to use. Back catalogues are always being reviewed for possible usable material. Perhaps it may be only part of a song that ends up being the basis for the next Doctor Who serries or a song in a commercial that is re-written and extended for chart release (see a certain cola drink- did it twice and twice got number 1). In my own field new projects can often include all or parts of earlier texts and draughts.
So I think you might be surprised at how much you may already have to be able to use.
Sit down with the rest of your band and go over these bits, have a brain storming session- you'll have enough to release your first album after only ten hours (seen it done).

K dragon
05-Dec-05, 18:07
wish i could have a sit down with my band. well we do......

all except the bloody drummer because he is completely imaginary!!

we have loads of our own stuff, and lots of bloody talent but due to this town sucking popularitys bum, we cant get out there and gig.

music scene in thurso?????

non existent.

Uppiebalad
05-Dec-05, 20:53
Hey good stuff, it's great that even without a complete band you are still working away on new material- do you have a website, let's see what you're doing these days- show the world what can be achieved in the face of adversity.
Remember people, never let personal ego or other peoples opinion get in the way of great potential. K.dragon is clearly serious about music and should be some you can work with. There's gotta be a drummer out ther for his band.

nutty da drummer
06-Dec-05, 14:12
weve got a lame thing at the mo,still being done up,and its not even proper, its a myspace.

www.myspace.com/redwal

one l, its a typo

Uppiebalad
06-Dec-05, 16:27
Hey lame it may be but here's a tip, keep it simple. Don't make it too flash because it may anti-climax your performance. Concentrate most of your efforts on the music and the band. Get someone less attatched to the band to maintain the site to leave you guy's to get on with writing your own stuff and rehearsing your performance skills.
Have you ever noticed how Caithness people keep about 20ft between themselves and the band. The music can be the best but if that gap is there you're not connecting with the audience which is very important. It's a measure of how successful you are. The people have to like you as well as the music so the closer you get the audience to the stage the more you are achieving. Caithness folk are very affriad to express themselves so it's up to you to bring it out of them. Having the courage to stand there and sing a song you wrote (even if you think it's trash) is part of what makes it happen.
Have no fear of faith in your own work because there is a real audience out there for whatever you come up with though it may not be in Caithness.
Keep up the good work.

nutty da drummer
06-Dec-05, 16:32
yeah, cheers. now we need the gigs, we did one recently but we got to get more. but people did think we were good on the stage so hopefully thats a good sign.

Uppiebalad
06-Dec-05, 17:01
Don't wait for gigs to come to you, bring your gig to the people. Pool your pocket money/ spare wages and go speak to a venue in town about booking their space. Terms can be negotiated to suit your finances and there desire for a return from the customers. You can gig alone or invite a second band but either way take the lead.

nutty da drummer
07-Dec-05, 23:43
Yeah were starting that...trying to organise one in the viewfirth. Hopefuly itl work, cant see why not, so im starting that. and if anyone reads this and wants us to play, even if its juyst a small 3 song set list, or a 15 song setlist, we can do that. weve only just started writing music, so its not alot but stil something. cheers

nutty da drummer
04-Jul-06, 02:16
cant be that bad a band since we won thurso battle of the bands :D

zebedy
04-Jul-06, 12:37
Red Wall are rapid!

Are you staying together!

When a band as a unit loves diffrent types of music... it helps bring a new genre to play when u start writing!

nutty da drummer
04-Jul-06, 16:28
cheers zeb. im not actually sure at the mo, we need to talk about it really. i want to now though, total loved playing with them. stage presence was tad rubbish though

tattoo_tearz
04-Jul-06, 17:39
isnt the viewfirth closed now? you could maybe try the redwood or i think their is a place at the park hotel?

Deemac
04-Jul-06, 19:27
Yes - Viewfirth is no more. All boarded up. Suspect the bulldozers will move in next (one less place for local bands to strut their stuff).

PS: spelling correction - Rhythm

K dragon
05-Jul-06, 01:57
you would think someone would suggest keeping the hall, i mean for local bands to practise AND rehearse, could be used for other things too, such as kids discos and i remeber the dancer thingy that used to be so popular with the ladies up here. seems very unfair and an extreme waste to knock ALL of it down.

the_big_mac
07-Jul-06, 20:07
Your gonna have a job gettin the Viewfirth! Have some good memories from there though from gigs past :( .

As for getting gigs, trust me, no-one ever will ask you to play unless your something really special! You gotta get out there yourself and ask the pubs and clubs. If the band are still on the young side then do let that put you off. Plenty of places will accomodate (up to a certain time) younger bands. Aslong as your entertaining and can play a crowd then the owner/boss will be a happy man. Its all about money over the bar.

As for the dude that suggested you ask landlords what rate they charge for you to use their space, ignore it. NEVER ever ask that, you'll never ever get paid! You might want to suggest that you will happily play for free for the first couple of gigs, that installs confidence and will near guarentee you a return gig with a payday. Well, as long sa yous aint gash :D !