PDA

View Full Version : Council Tax

Loch not Lock
12-Mar-08, 10:43
Should Council Tax be abolished and be replaced by a local Income Tax? Personally speaking, I don't know which would be better, or should I say worse.:confused

Seabird
12-Mar-08, 11:21
I think it depends on how much you earn and who they decide pays the tax.
A single worker in a household earning 12 grand a year would be better off.
If there are 2 or 3 in a house earning 12 grand a year and they decide all must pay, then as a group they would be worse off.
Any one on large incomes would no doubt be worse off.
I think it's a case of change the system and in the confusion people wont notice they are going to pay more for the poor services we already receive.

I might add thats not a snipe at any particular political party.
Because at the moment people in the UK are paying more tax than at any time in modern history and this is set to increase.
Everyone is seeing a fall in their living standards and this looks set to continue.

tootler
12-Mar-08, 11:42
Might be good if it means there's more money for the local authority to spend in Caithness?

I don't know which is best either, Loch, and it's hard to see any real statistics through all the political crossfire, so I guess we might never know the facts - we'll just have to put up with whatever the politicians decide. Again.

Personally I'd be happy to pay more tax if it meant my children would get the education they deserve and the council could afford to cut the grass more often!

Penelope Pitstop
12-Mar-08, 13:22
Personally I'd be happy to pay more tax if it meant my children would get the education they deserve and the council could afford to cut the grass more often!

Problem is that the service won't change....you'll just be paying more[disgust]

e.g. Highland Council has increased the cost to get a commercial business bin emptied this year, 2008/2009, by18%.....will the service be any different from what it was last year....no. How do I know this....'cause the same thing happened last year:confused

EDDIE
12-Mar-08, 13:40
Should Council Tax be abolished and be replaced by a local Income Tax? Personally speaking, I don't know which would be better, or should I say worse.:confused

its the same as poll tax in the eightys but the difference is they have a better way of taking the money of u direct anybody paying council tax should be better off the people that will lose out is young adults that are still staying at home with there parents were the parents is paying council tax and there not this new way means everyone that is working has to pay which is fair really because everyone should have to pay for the local services.
The biggest downfall with poll tax in the eightys was there was no means to collect the tax without a lot of hasstle

trix
12-Mar-08, 14:14
am seik til deith o' payin tax, council tax, then tax on ma 1st chob, 22% tax on ma weekend chob.....[evil]

choost asweel i get paid ma 3rd chob cash in han' or i think i wid choost lose 'e will til live.....

so, so soul destroyin....

fags are taxt, alcohol taxt, 'e list goes on.....(along wi 'e beat) ;)

crashbandicoot1979
12-Mar-08, 16:26
Not sure about this one. I think I'd be better off personally, plus it would mean that if I moved to a bigger house which would have a higher council tax band, I wouldn't have to pay any extra.

I think it would only be fair if those on benefits had to pay something towards it too though, I don't think we should be subsidising them any more than we have to.

I also have reservations about whether services would improve or not, even if the local income tax generated more money :confused

Penelope Pitstop
12-Mar-08, 17:07
choost asweel i get paid ma 3rd chob cash in han' or i think i wid choost lose 'e will til live.....

The rest of us working folk pay our taxes why should you be any different??????:confused

Employers who pay "cash in hand" get on my goat and should be reported to Inland Revenue.[evil]

trix
12-Mar-08, 17:14
The rest of us working folk pay our taxes why should you be any different??????

Employers who pay "cash in hand" get on my goat and should be reported to Inland Revenue.[evil]

aye rite penelope....ma 3rd chob consists o' washin a manies dishes twice a week.....gie me a break eh? :roll:

Penelope Pitstop
12-Mar-08, 17:25
aye rite penelope....ma 3rd chob consists o' washin a manies dishes twice a week.....gie me a break eh? :roll:

and why does it matter what work your doing...still earning.

JAWS
12-Mar-08, 17:29
Should Council Tax be abolished and be replaced by a local Income Tax? Personally speaking, I don't know which would be better, or should I say worse.:confusedJust how are they going to work out which areas get what amount of cash with the Local Income Tax?
Pay All You Earn is collected in the place where your employer is located and not where the individual employee lives.
Yes, it can be done by use of the individual employees home post code but how much would it cost for all that to be worked out?
As far as I can see it would simply mean going to vast expense employing many additional people at Tax Offices simply to shuffle such information around. You can add to that the fact that the burden of payment would simply be added to those working people who are already shouldering much of the burden of tax payments anyway.
It has the makings of being a good "vote catcher" but that is about all it serves as. At the end of the day somebody has to pay and whichever method they choose somebody will suffer.
In truth, it sounds more like another ploy in a "lets be different to England to make them dump us" game than anything sensible or workable.

trix
12-Mar-08, 17:32
well, 'e way i see'id penelope, at extra 20 kwid no' only pays for ma drivin lesson, it also makes up for what i lose in tax in ma w'end chob.

are ye suggestin that i hand it al oer til 'e inland rev also?? :eek:

i da mind payin tax in ma first chob, but for them til take even MORE of me for ma w'end chob...i think its takin the.......:Razz

if ma 2nd chob wisna such a guid wage, id be workin for less than 'e minimum!!!!

as for ma 3rd chob, if i didna get £s in han, then i choost widna do'id....

Penelope Pitstop
12-Mar-08, 19:49
well, 'e way i see'id penelope, at extra 20 kwid no' only pays for ma drivin lesson, it also makes up for what i lose in tax in ma w'end chob.

are ye suggestin that i hand it al oer til 'e inland rev also?? :eek:

i da mind payin tax in ma first chob, but for them til take even MORE of me for ma w'end chob...i think its takin the.......:Razz

if ma 2nd chob wisna such a guid wage, id be workin for less than 'e minimum!!!!

as for ma 3rd chob, if i didna get £s in han, then i choost widna do'id....

All the rest of us have to hand over the tax on what we earn to the tax man....as I said don't see how you should be any different.The rest of us just HAVE TO manage on what's left after tax man.

Oddquine
13-Mar-08, 02:24
If the collection can be worked out, I don't see a problem. It would remove the anomaly of say four working adults paying the same as a couple where only one person is working, in the semi next door.........after all, they use four times the water etc.

Can't say I am keen on the fact that those living on unearned income will be exempt though. I can see that you wouldn't tax interest on savings for the average punter, just earned income........but the average punter doesn't have enough capital that they don't need to work.

It seems a bit unfair that people who have retired early because they can afford to, for example, don't have to pay the tax that the pensioner next door with enough of a private pension to just bring them into the basic tax bracket has to pay.

Good idea.....but needs more tweaking, imo.

JAWS
13-Mar-08, 03:01
If somebody has retired early because they can afford to then I would think they would have enough to be paying income tax the same as a pensioner with a private pension large enough to attract income tax.

Oddquine
13-Mar-08, 12:58
If somebody has retired early because they can afford to then I would think they would have enough to be paying income tax the same as a pensioner with a private pension large enough to attract income tax.

We propose that people pay 3% on all their income (except income from savings and investments) over the personal allowance.

Company pensions are taxed at source and are not counted as savings or investments.

The proposal appears to exclude those living off income from savings and investments altogether...........so it looks as if a truly private pension set up by an individual using investments to fund it wouldn't count.