PDA

View Full Version : Cruives Croft

jimag
07-Nov-05, 21:27
Great stuff Bill. The photographs were excellent. I bet there must be lots of similiar old croft houses in Caithness in the same state. Its a pity folk would not buy some of them and renovate them.

Malcolmdog
07-Nov-05, 22:12
There ARE many beautiful old crofts in Caithness especially around the Wick area.

Does anyone know how you would go about establishing the rightful owner of these abandoned crofts, if someone was interested in buying one? I have done some reading on the internet, but, unfortunately, became very confused with some of the terminology regarding landownership and crofting.
If you own the croft, you don't necessary own the land on which it sits?? is that correct? is the title to the property held as a leasehold estate? can the property be mortgaged (if necessary?)

Thanks for any help!! While visiting I photographed quite a few stunning crofts in the Wick area and would love to renovate one!!

Thanks again! Malcolmdog

jimag
08-Nov-05, 00:03
Malcolmdog
The term 'croft house' may have been used loosely in this case. This may be an old house on a farm, in which case it will not be affected by the Crofting Laws. However it is perfectly feasable to have the site of the croft house de-crofted to provide housing for someone who does not meet crofter status.
You may find information on the Crofters Commision website.