PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 kids go missing from school...

percy toboggan
11-Mar-08, 20:10
How ?...
Why ? .....Where have all the missing Asian - British born
kids gone then?
Gone to forced marriages everyone ? - surely not...though perhaps a majority.
A lot of issues seem to coming to the fore all at once.
Apparently the cult of multi only stretches the rules so far.

This must have been going on for years.
Why does anyone care all of a sudden...has
it at last become acceptable / permissable
to question this outlandish, anti-diluvian practice?

gillian17
11-Mar-08, 20:55
Anti-diluvian is probably not the correct word unless your are against floods which I guess you are and strictly speaking its not antediluvian either because it only started in the seventh century.
However, and I hate saying this, but a lot of arranged marriages work. Probably a greater percentage than what you and I would call a normal marriage.
I am going to try and pre-empt the abuse I will get for this post, I live and work with them all the time. They, predominantly subcontinental (shortest word in the Scottish language with all the vowels in the reverse order) second generation men love and treat their wives with respect.
Obviously, there are bad apples and I appreciate that some women/schoolgirls are abused but no more than in British culture.

percy toboggan
11-Mar-08, 21:55
Anti-diluvian is probably not the correct word unless your are against floods which I guess you are and strictly speaking its not antediluvian either because it only started in the seventh century.
However, and I hate saying this, but a lot of arranged marriages work. Probably a greater percentage than what you and I would call a normal marriage.
I am going to try and pre-empt the abuse I will get for this post, I live and work with them all the time. They, predominantly subcontinental (shortest word in the Scottish language with all the vowels in the reverse order) second generation men love and treat their wives with respect.
Obviously, there are bad apples and I appreciate that some women/schoolgirls are abused but no more than in British culture.

Arranged marriages involving adyults are entirely different to 'forced' marriages involving those of any age.
I know a lot of the former work - and unlike you Gillian I do not mind saying it at all.

It's always preferable when the couple are not cousins of course but beyond that 'arranging' a marriage between adults is not totally abhorrent to me.

Yanking teenagers out of a maths lesson to a land they know little about and saddling them with a spouse who can later enter Britain is frankly disgusting...I don't mind saying that either.

_Ju_
11-Mar-08, 21:56
Arranged marriages are not forced marriages. Children never have arranged marriages, they are always forced. Unless you think a 9/10/13 year old is capable of agreeing to marriage.

As for your comments, Percy, untill a few years ago domestic violence was not talked about except in whispers. It's victims often doubly victimized by the very society they lived in. We hope that this has has changed and more importantly legal measures have been taken to enforce change. Domestic violence has always existed in a world of semi silence and ignored. Should it have continued to be so just because it
must have been going on for years and why should
anyone care all of a sudden.
The sad thing is that young british girls are disapearing and no one gives a damn.

percy toboggan
11-Mar-08, 21:58
Inicidentally Gillian....You're being something of a pedant with my use of 'anti-diluvian'...I'm sure you caught my drift. I used the term loosely.....and anyway, do you honestly think forced marriages began with the religion of Islam?

percy toboggan
11-Mar-08, 22:00
The sad thing is that young british girls are disapearing and no one gives a damn.

Obviously someone does now.
Though I agree, if they didn't come back with new hubby in tow not many people would give a damn.

karia
11-Mar-08, 22:21
How ?...
Why ? .....Where have all the missing Asian - British born
kids gone then?

Sorry Percy..could you post a link or something as I am in the dark about your reference here?:confused

Maybe I turned 2 pages at once with this mornings papers...marmalade!:roll:

percy toboggan
11-Mar-08, 22:56
Sorry Percy..could you post a link or something as I am in the dark about your reference here?:confused

Maybe I turned 2 pages at once with this mornings papers...marmalade!:roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7290374.stm

karia
11-Mar-08, 22:59
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7290374.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7290374.stm)

Thanks Percy!