PDA

View Full Version : Wally's been attacked!

KCI
11-Mar-08, 18:58
OK, that may be a bit too dramatic! I'm after some advice!

My poor boy seems to have been in a fight, and amongst other injuries, he seems to have a scratch/cut/puncture wound in or on his ear. It's a bit difficult to tell.........he's suddenly turned into this angry beast, and isn't too keen on letting me near it!

Anyway, I've been able to clean his ear with warm water and cotton wool. There has been some blood, but I think that's because he keeps scratching his ear and making it worse. Is there anything else I could use to clean it? I have tried antiseptic wipes, but I could tell from the way he looked at me, that he didn't like it!

I think I might have to take him to the vet if it doesn't clear up in the next day or 2. Might be difficult though - his paws are the size of shovels, and he keeps giving me a clout every time I get too near! :eek:

Oh, by the way, Wally is a cat! ;)

Any suggestions on what would be best for cleaning it, and how I can stop him making it worse by scratching? Wally is an outside cat.

crashbandicoot1979
11-Mar-08, 21:01
My cat has a cut above his eye that he keeps scratching, but according to the vet, the only real solution would be for him to wear a "lampshade" collar!! Don't think that would be too handy for Wally though, if hes an outside cat!

I've been cleaning my cats cut with cooled, boiled water mixed with sea salt. Its kept it really clean, even though he scratches the scab off at every opportunity. :roll:

Julia
11-Mar-08, 22:15
For a start you could staple some oven gloves onto his paws, then as DB suggested wash his wounds in a solution of sea salt, about one teaspoon disolved in a mugful of hot water left to cool, or not depending how naughty Wally has been!

Failing that you could lash him to the car roof and take him to he nearest car wash, I'm sure they will let you add some disenfectant to the process!

BTW I can just picture your face as you are reading this! ;)

carasmam
11-Mar-08, 22:50
:lol::eek: @ Julia.
A soultion of Dettol would be good, it wont sting either.
Poor Wally, tell him to stop putting it about and stay at home from now on lol

Liz
11-Mar-08, 23:27
Aaaww poor Wally!:(

I would go along with bathing his wounds in salt water as this is a good antiseptic.

Hopefully, he will recover in a few days but if you need to take him to the Vets will you be able to get him into a cat carrier or would you need a loan of a humane cat trap?

KCI
12-Mar-08, 00:12
crashbandicoot1979 - thanks for your advice!

Julia - *sigh* Luckily I know what you are like! I have my *disgusted* face on at the moment, but you've seen that before! :lol:

carasmam - the worst thing is, I'm sitting here worrying about him, happened to look out the window, and saw him strutting about like nothing has happened! Typical male!

Liz - Umm..........you don't think I'm going to put him in a cat carrier do you? Don't be silly - why do you think I married my husband? That's going to be one of his jobs! [lol]

Liz
12-Mar-08, 00:16
Liz - Umm..........you don't think I'm going to put him in a cat carrier do you? Don't be silly - why do you think I married my husband? That's going to be one of his jobs! [lol]

Hee hee. I knew there was method in your madness!
Sounds like Wally is okay but keep the salt water handy in case you need it for hubby's wounds if he does put Wally in the cat carrier!!!lol

KCI
12-Mar-08, 00:22
Hee hee. I knew there was method in your madness!
Sounds like Wally is okay but keep the salt water handy in case you need it for hubby's wounds if he does put Wally in the cat carrier!!!lol

Och, I don't have time to deal with any wounds that hubby might get! I have 2.5 cats and a child to look after! ;)

ciderally
12-Mar-08, 14:00
hope wally is better today..?

KCI
12-Mar-08, 14:05
Last night, Wally's ear was in a right mess - blood and yucky stuff! Sorry, not very good at explaining it!

Anyway, someone suggested it could be a burst abcess, which could be right. He stayed in the house most of last night, and his ear seems to be better today. Still looks horrible, but it't not bothering him now, and he seems to have stopped scratching. He's eating his food again, and he's been outside running daft, so he seems a lot better. I'll see how he is later, and will make a decision about taking him to the vet or not. I think he is going to be OK though.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone! :)

evelyn
12-Mar-08, 15:13
Might be worth getting him up to the vet for some antibiotics.
Nice to hear he's better.
evelyn

carasmam
13-Mar-08, 10:46
Hows Wally today? Or should I ask hows hubby, if you had to get him in a carrier to the vets [lol] (Wally, not hubby)

KCI
13-Mar-08, 10:56
Oh, whenever I think his ear looks better, he starts scratching, and then it looks horrible again.

Hubby thinks I should just leave it, but I worry too much! I think I'll have to work on Hubby - he's not too keen on taking Wally to the vet! :roll:
The phrase "man or mouse" springs to mind! :eek:

ciderally
13-Mar-08, 11:55
id say that if the wound is really smelly..get him to the vets as its probably infected ...as that happened to one of ours....wally that is not OH...good luck