PDA

View Full Version : Cheltenham nap today

Loch not Lock
11-Mar-08, 14:21
River Liane 5.20.
Fill yer boots!!:Razz

scotsboy
11-Mar-08, 14:37
Personally think all horse racing should be banned.

cd1977
11-Mar-08, 14:42
Cheers and I might just do that.

PS - you're not a psychic are you?

Sapphire2803
11-Mar-08, 14:49
River Liane 5.20.
Fill yer boots!!

Are you suggesting that we should gamble? Good grief, next you'll be saying that there's nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation! It's a slippery slope your leading us all down I tell ye! ;)

Cheers for that, I'll check it out, haven't bet on a horse for about 10 years and I feel it's a sorry sign of my now sheltered life that I find getting a tip more than a little exciting :lol:

What seems like a lifetime ago, when I worked for Kevin Prendergast I used to have a weekly trip to the bookies, I never threw away more than a couple of quid and sometimes I even won (shock!!)
We used to say that the best tip was mantelpiece... put your money on it and it'll still be there in the morning...

scorrie
11-Mar-08, 16:55
River Liane 5.20.

Great chance at the weights. I would be a bit worried about the top weight though, he's going for a good bonus here.

bekisman
11-Mar-08, 18:19
BH says Ashkezar!

hotrod4
11-Mar-08, 18:40
Glad I didnt follow!!!
I landed an each way double on 40/1 Native jack at 4.40 and then 12/1 crack away jack at the 5.20.
Had a good day betting at cheltenham also landed Katchit and Tidal bay on my Lucky 15 but Fundamentalist let me down on a £200 (payout)treble, on the whole up about 400%.
Hope i can do the same tomorrow :)

bekisman
11-Mar-08, 18:46
Ashkazar; good for an each-way bet (whatever that means!)

hotrod4
11-Mar-08, 18:49
Ashkazar; good for an each-way bet (whatever that means!)

He was placed so wouldve been ok!!!

Loch not Lock
11-Mar-08, 19:33
River Liane 5.20.

Sorry for such a terrible tip. Hope to make amends before the week is out.:~(

unicorn
11-Mar-08, 19:35
If it had won they would be singing a different tune :roll: at least you tried to do a nice thing for others :D

hotrod4
11-Mar-08, 19:38
Sorry for such a terrible tip. Hope to make amends before the week is out.:~(

Will post my tip as well.
Just pouring over the form cards at present but at this early stage like the look of Scudamore to win Queen mother, but not sticking my neck out until have really thoroughly checked form!!!!

scorrie
11-Mar-08, 20:53
He was placed so wouldve been ok!!!

Nah, 15/8 placed is not worth a monkeys. You still lose money on your stake. You only get one quarter of the odds for a place, so your price is 15/32 for place only result. So if you put £1 ew you get £1.47 back for Ashkazar but the bet cost £2, so you are losing money.

I entered a free tipping competition on Attheraces and had the maximum 50 points on Captain Cee Bee at 9/1. Sadly, my five other selections at 10 points each were out of luck. In my experience, it does not matter how big a price the winners are at Cheltenham, there is always someone who had the maximum 50 points on it. Therefore, I expect nothing for my winner. Some of these guys would put Nostrodamus to shame with their ability to find outrageous outsiders!!

scorrie
11-Mar-08, 23:51
Loch, I'll give a tip tomorrow and you can laugh at mine and vice versa.

hotrod4
12-Mar-08, 10:21
Gonna stick my neck out and go for tamarindblue in the Queen mother chase.
Good form from a decent stable, so should go close!!!

golach
12-Mar-08, 10:27
No racing today
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/7291303.stm

elamanya
12-Mar-08, 13:01
parsou in the 4.55 at huntingdon is currently trading at 1.42 on the place markets fill yer boots

bekisman
12-Mar-08, 13:56
Be careful you don't end up like him; (poor bloke?)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7291597.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7291597.stm)

scorrie
12-Mar-08, 14:51
parsou in the 4.55 at huntingdon is currently trading at 1.42 on the place markets fill yer boots

There are only four runners in the race now. 2/5 is not much of a price anyway. fiver on for seven back!!

scorrie
12-Mar-08, 19:21

Woops!! He didn't get round.

elamanya
12-Mar-08, 21:50
ah but as you must know scorrie its not a get rich thing gambling its showing a profit at the end of the month every month , we just wait for the next investment and keep plugging away betting 10 per cent of the bank on each one, then withdrawing our winnings on the last day of the month

scorrie
12-Mar-08, 22:35
ah but as you must know scorrie its not a get rich thing gambling its showing a profit at the end of the month every month , we just wait for the next investment and keep plugging away betting 10 per cent of the bank on each one, then withdrawing our winnings on the last day of the month

An odds on loser is poison to a system like that.

If you had a bank of £1000 you put £100 on at 2/5, it loses, so your bank is only £900 now. If you then put £90 on at the same level of gamble, i.e. 2/5 and it wins this time you get back £126 making your bank now stand at £936, you now stake £93.60 on at the same risk level of 2/5, the horse wins again, netting a return of £131.04 making your bank £973.44, you've then had 3 bets, 2 winners and are still down on your original bank!!

I have seen several systems similar to this over the years. The "Always back Winners" method used to double the stakes once the bank had doubled. They nearly all advocate that you NEVER back at odds-on. Some of these systems have their successful moments but if it were that simple, we would all be rich and the bookies would be out of business. I've followed the Fineform method, where points are awarded for wins and places, course winner, distance winner etc and Colin Davy, where bets are calculated using stats on relative prize money won by horses. They both threw up winners now and again but often the odds were not very good.

I think that stable information is your best chance of getting one over on the bookies but the gallops have more spies than there used to be in Berlin and there is so much information available to bookies now.

I recall back in the days before Sky Sports was on the go and there was a 3 way play-off for the US Open. I found a teletext page that was giving updated comments on each hole. Having seen that Ernie Els was 8/1 and was sitting on a short birdie put, whereas Loren Roberts and Colin Montgomerie were facing putts for bogies, I realised that a two-shot swing was about to take place. I phoned the other bookie in town and snared Ernie at 8/1. Just as I put the phone down, the odds on Ernie changed to 13/8!! Luckily for me, he went on to win it and I admit that I took advantage of the other bookie not knowing what was going on. There is no chance of that nowadays though. If Tiger Woods farts after his lunch, the bookies are first to know. (Except for Mrs Woods of course)

Good luck to you if you're making money at the game, sometimes the results can be crazy and I don't punt anymore myself. Free competitions are plenty for me. As I suspected, in the AtTheRaces tipping competition, people had maximum bets on the biggest winners at Cheltenham yesterday. I tied for 44th place, not bad in a free competition available to all of the country.

Loch not Lock
13-Mar-08, 10:16
Our Vic 2.55. Fellow forumites please post your naps on here as a challenge. Winner gets to spend a day with John McCririck:)

wifie
13-Mar-08, 10:23
Tempting :confused - NOT!

hotrod4
13-Mar-08, 11:32
A good each way bet today (Thursday) is Youngstown at the 5.50 Cheltenham.
Its available at 100/1.
I know massive odds but ive stuck money on it!!
Also have taken a punt on "the hairy lemon" at 22/1.
i quite often double up my short horse with an outsider that has a chance.
Dont want to win a day with Mac though ;) A nice cheque from my bookie Paddy power will do me

scorrie
13-Mar-08, 12:51
I am going for Mossbank in the 2.55 he was second to Denman last time and when I saw him on Channel 4 yesterday he was rolling around on the ground like a happy horse ready to do the business. He is not big odds but looks to have a terrific chance on a very tricky looking day's racing.

For avid org users the topical Big Eared Fran in the 5.50 could be anything and may surprise the Irish hotpots in the race.

bekisman
13-Mar-08, 13:24
'The Listener' (ew) 2.55 Cheltenham

elamanya
13-Mar-08, 15:06
had la antartique last year when it won at 20.1 so got to back it today in the 2.55 big tip at work as well for big eared fran. wonder if francis jeffers has backed it lol

bekisman
13-Mar-08, 15:51
What happened to 'Tamarinbleu'?

superted
13-Mar-08, 16:02
Our Vic 2.55. Fellow forumites please post your naps on here as a challenge. Winner gets to spend a day with John McCririck:)

Thanks for that LNL, healthly little earner on your nap...drams on me:lol:

thickrodney
13-Mar-08, 16:02
a day out for you my friend.

scorrie
13-Mar-08, 18:11

Nice winner, the blinkers helped him I think. In the past when I have backed Our Vic he has folded like a concertina. Don't think it made a difference to the result but Davy Russell must have thought he was riding Nijinsky and left Mossbank well in arrears till late on. I think he might have been expecting them to stop in front but it was money back if you were on each-way.

hotrod4
13-Mar-08, 19:29
What happened to 'Tamarinbleu'?

mmmmmm well you see he would've won BUT he felt so sorry for all the horses that he decided to take it easy and let them win!! :)
Thats my story and i am sticking to it!

Loch not Lock
13-Mar-08, 19:30
Glad to make amends with a 4/1 winner after that awful nap on Tuesday. Roll on tomorrow!!:)
I hope the food is good at The Ivy.

Loch not Lock
14-Mar-08, 11:04
Let's finish with a good value bet - Uncle Junior 2.50.:)

scorrie
14-Mar-08, 13:23
1.05 Group Captain

I saw this horse run last time and he travelled with ease throughout. Was a decent horse on the flat and his trainer has been having a good meeting.

In the last, Psycho will be an appropriate one for those chasing their losses ;)