PDA

View Full Version : 'Caithness dialect' apostrophe catastrophe

Boozeburglar
11-Mar-08, 14:06
Why are the normal rules regarding the use of apostrophes not applied?

If the word you are using is actual dialect, it is not a contraction of the non-dialect word it replaces.

'Am no' bo'ered leek', jes' wan'rin'.

trix
11-Mar-08, 14:59
hi boozy

mebbe its got somethin til do wi 'e time that 'e language wis created?

we hed enough til worry aboot in 'at days withoot worryin aboot writin stuff doon, lek lookin efter a' 'e bairns, mendin kilts an catchin 'e denner - 'at haggis are kweek on their feet :lol:

i guess its all aboot pronunciation an expression, created by.....well no us anyway, but it is a clever language, spoken an' created by maybe no so bright (educated) people.

at 'e end o' day, its an english enterpretation o' a scottish language - its choost no gona make any sense :lol:

Sapphire2803
11-Mar-08, 15:09
Yup... just follow Trix, she's got it sussed. It reads perfectly and you can hear her talking as you read it, which is something most of us will never master, we're too busy worrying about speeling, grammar, punctuation and a lot of the time, just being damn wordy.

My opinion is that when you're typing in dialect, the usual rules just don't apply. If you try to apply the rules for English to any dialect, it just won't work.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Mar-08, 07:24
Personally I would do away with apostrophes when writing dialect or slang words and phrases. It's neater for one thing. Pretty much every book by Irvine Welsh that uses Embra' dialect has little in the way of apostrophe usage.

golach
12-Mar-08, 10:23
Personally I would do away with apostrophes when writing dialect or slang words and phrases. It's neater for one thing. Pretty much every book by Irvine Welsh that uses Embra' dialect has little in the way of apostrophe usage.
The phrase "Embra" is in my opinion is a derogatory term for my adopted city of Edinburgh, and is only in common usage by Teuchters and in comers fae 'e north. And if the use of apostrophes in writing Kaithness verse is good enough for Donald Grant who wrote as Castlegreen then I am happy to use them when necessary , Sunny Leith Rules [lol]

wifie
12-Mar-08, 10:28
Joost go wi e flow BB - do it your way - I am sure we will understand ;)

Cattach
12-Mar-08, 15:19
Why are the normal rules regarding the use of apostrophes not applied?

If the word you are using is actual dialect, it is not a contraction of the non-dialect word it replaces.

'Am no' bo'ered leek', jes' wan'rin'.

Where are the rules regarding the apostrophe regularly applied? Round town on adverts, on posters, in shop windows, even on shop ownership signs one sees the apostrophe misused. Often plurals end with an apostrophe. In the word Hallowe'en I have seen the apostrophe used in about four different places.

trix
12-Mar-08, 15:25
hi cattach

i think its cos people choost niver stuck in at 'e school.

an its no cos they are mendin kilts an catchin haggis......maybe lookin efter a squad o' bairns tho :roll:

there is no excuse for'id.

hes anyone ever read 'eats shoots an' leaves?

its a cracker.....:lol:

JAWS
12-Mar-08, 16:22
OK, try translating, tintintin!

trix
12-Mar-08, 17:47

ok.....it means - wur hevin wur tea in 'e indians enite [lol]

trix
12-Mar-08, 17:49

or....theres tea in, aye. its in 'e tin [lol]

bluelady
13-Mar-08, 14:25
[quote=trix;357095

hes anyone ever read 'eats shoots an' leaves?

its a cracker.....:lol:[/quote]

is that e one about e man or e Panda ? [lol]