PDA

View Full Version : Most Brits 'In Favour Of Euthanasia'

ciderally
11-Mar-08, 12:34
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91251-1308732,00.html

i know this comes up time after time...but what do you think?

Sapphire2803
11-Mar-08, 14:23
I think that the following quote from your link sums it up for me:

"It is common sense that people who are terminally ill, mentally competent and suffering unbearably should be allowed the option of medically assisted dying.
"There are instances where palliative care, regardless of high standards, is not enough to alleviate the constant suffering and loss of dignity that some terminally ill people endure in the final stages of their illnesses."

My father had Parkinsons and I wouldn't wish the last 2 or 3 weeks of his life on anyone. It was pointless and cruel and heart-breaking to watch. He stayed at home and we looked after him the very best we could, but there came a point where every waking moment for him was just unbearable agony.
My dad was the sort of guy who suffered in silence, he was a proper old fashioned man. The sort of guy who would just hiss through his teeth at any amount of pain. The sound of him crying out when I had to turn him will live with me forever and that was when he was full of morphine too.

There is a point where enough is just enough.

KCI
11-Mar-08, 14:31
It's a very emotional subject, but I think that euthanasia should be legalised.

A person who is dying, with no hope of treatment or cure, nothing ahead of them but pain that will slowly get worse - that is no way for any human to live.
To see someone you care about, slowly dying in front of you, suffering with unbearable pain at times, is something that nobody should have to go through.

When our animals are suffering, in pain, with nothing that can be done, we have them put to sleep. It is something that most of us struggle with, and at the time, it is terrible. But it's the last kind thing that we can do for them. We love our pets like they are members of our family, and we do anything and everything we can, to make sure they are safe, and to make sure they never have to suffer.

We should be able to do the same thing for the people we care about - make sure they don't have to suffer with unbearable pain and indignity.

Sorry if my post offends anyone.....as I said, it is an emotional subject, and I'm sure we all have different views.

justine
11-Mar-08, 16:08
yep got to agree..If someone has had enough of their illness and no longer want to be alive then they should have the choise to end the pain and suffering........I certainly would go for it if i lost my faculties.....

honey
11-Mar-08, 16:19
totally, you wouldnt let an animal suffer, so why a person. It has to be hard for the people left behind, but its the person suffering who we need to think about.

poppett
11-Mar-08, 17:18
Whilst I would not want to be the person to decide if another should live or die I believe I should have the option to make my wishes clear when I am well what should happen, and at what stage, should I have an accident or a terminal illness.

Thumper
11-Mar-08, 18:13
I am all for it,I nursed my dad through parkinsons and eventually cancer and it was a blessing for it to end,he lost all dignity in his life and I know he hated the fact that his daughter had to see him like that :( If people want to end an otherwise usless life why not allow it?Would any of us really want to go through a slow and painful death if we could avoid it? x

Julia
11-Mar-08, 18:16
Well I hope when my times comes that euthanasia will be legal, I don't want to waste away slowly and painfully, bring on the crematorium I say! [lol]