PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taking Champix tablets to stop smoking?

quiteone
10-Mar-08, 23:42
is it jus me or is anyone else experiencing awful nitemares and feelin sick all the time?? i hope it wears off soon!!!! itl be worth it thu to finally stop smoking!!!:eek:

DeHaviLand
11-Mar-08, 00:04
Throw them away and just stop. You'll still have the nightmares tho. Well, I did anyway:eek:

teddybear1873
11-Mar-08, 00:05
is it jus me or is anyone else experiencing awful nitemares and feelin sick all the time?? i hope it wears off soon!!!! itl be worth it thu to finally stop smoking!!!:eek:

Yes i did. Problem was, i started it just before xmas. Bad timing and im still smoking. Need to go back to the doc and start all over again.

quiteone
11-Mar-08, 00:09
i have absolutely no willpower.......so cant stop on my own iv tried loads of times!!! the chewing gum made me ill, i am allergic to the patches so this is my last resort. i have asthma which is gettin worse and the money i spend on fags could pay for a nice new car!!! that is my incentive anyway.....;)

changilass
11-Mar-08, 00:10
I am now 6 weeks without smoking.

I have always had very vivid dreams, so was worried about the nightmares they warn you about in the leaflet. I had total opposite - no dreams at all, problem is I didn't feel as if I had been asleep as had nothing other than the clock to guage sleep time by.

Back to my normal dreams now but still off the cigs so at least that is good.

Stick with it if you can, it will be worth it in the end.

quiteone
11-Mar-08, 00:15
i saw every hour last nite waking from and falling back into a continuous nitemare!!! ohh it was bad. but determined to stop. i started smoking in primary7 not a lot but nearly everyday we would be smoking and im 30 now its starting to scare me. u dont worry about ur health when ur young but as u get older it changes. if i could change one thing it would be the day i started smoking!!

easy to start but sooooo hard to stop!!

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-08, 00:39
I pinched my first fag out of my sisters packet when I was 12 and by the age 13 I was hooked.I am now 51 and have tried every method known to man to quit without success.My wife and I have been life long prisoners to fags and at the start of 2008 we decided to give it another go as spending £80.00 a week on fags was just being stupid.We went to see Marie the nurse down at Wick medical center and she told us of this new pill called CHAMPIX and would be available to us soon. We set ourselves a date JULY4th Independance day.I had no problems but my wife did experiance some of the symptoms that you describe and she stopped taking them and went on to patches. 8 months later we feel we have cracked it and no longer do we crave for them.There are 2 issues with smoking and thats addiction to nicotine and the habit of just doing it.Be mindfull of both and want to give it up I would recomend it wholeheartedly.

lazytown
11-Mar-08, 06:49
No nightmares but I do get the sickness feeling in the morning when I take my tablet.
Found out though if I have breakfast first (normally just coffee) then I don't get the sick feeling so I have a bannana every morning now first works wonders.

Lolabelle
11-Mar-08, 07:07
I am now 6 weeks without smoking.

I have always had very vivid dreams, so was worried about the nightmares they warn you about in the leaflet. I had total opposite - no dreams at all, problem is I didn't feel as if I had been asleep as had nothing other than the clock to guage sleep time by.

Back to my normal dreams now but still off the cigs so at least that is good.

Stick with it if you can, it will be worth it in the end.

Good for you Changi, I gave up in 2000, and it has not been too much of a bother. I found the habit and needing something to replace it worse than the nicotene.
I used to say to Dave, "What do non smokers do with thier lives?" as my whole world revolved around when and where I would have my next fag.
So go guys, hang in there, you WILL feel heaps better when you get over the worst of it.
Mind you, I still class myself as a smoker, who chooses not to smoke [lol]

rob16d
11-Mar-08, 08:04
Mind you, I still class myself as a smoker, who chooses not to smoke [lol]

:lol: gave me a chuckle this morning!

johnlc
11-Mar-08, 08:35
ye am on them just now n take them at 8 every morning and god a feel sick after using them but only for about an hr or so.As for the nightmares well a hav them anyways lol:D

silverfox57
11-Mar-08, 10:25
my doctor put me on champix ,after two weeks on pill phoned doctor about my side effect's was told to stop taking pill that day,as i cant find web site to champix tablets,maybe some of you can find and put on her,as pill is getting bad press in usa:eek:

the_big_mac
11-Mar-08, 10:33
I used Allen Carrs "Easy way to stop smoking". And it truly is easy. No patches, no mingin gum, no real cravings, and a better understanding of my "addiction" and how to just stop.

You do have to be open minded and just go with the flow to take it in. But to get off the fags a little bit of brainwashing is not a bad thing!

marksay
11-Mar-08, 10:53
I started taking champix last July, and yes I had the side-effects, didn`t sleep properly for weeks but I set a date and kept to it. I have not had a cigarette since Aug 19. It worked for me but its not for everyone.
My only problem now is shedding the weight I`ve gained!!!

bekisman
11-Mar-08, 10:54
Kevin: "as spending £80.00 a week on fags"
You must have been well paid!
Luckily I've never smoked, but my middle son did; 40 a day. Then two years ago he said 'this is bloody stupid' and stopped.. says he's never felt better.

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-08, 11:24
Kevin: "as spending £80.00 a week on fags"
You must have been well paid!
Luckily I've never smoked, but my middle son did; 40 a day. Then two years ago he said 'this is bloody stupid' and stopped.. says he's never felt better.

No bekisman, I am not well paid and thats why I gave it up.lol We estimated that between us we were smoking on average over 60 a day at £5-00 a packet for 20 Regal King Size. I am still skint but I feel a lot better for it and dont cough like used to.

Shabbychic
11-Mar-08, 15:33
I thought I'd check Champix out as I want to stop smoking and know Zyban has a really bad name. Not too sure of Champix either now after coming across this Link (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080205.wlchampix05/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home).

Maybe I should just set a date and try a bit of good old fashioned willpower.

grandma
11-Mar-08, 16:12
I thought I'd check Champix out as I want to stop smoking and know Zyban has a really bad name. Not too sure of Champix either now after coming across this Link (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080205.wlchampix05/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home).

Maybe I should just set a date and try a bit of good old fashioned willpower.

I found sucking aniseed balls (the really hard ones that you can't crunch) helped me to stop smoking. By the time I had finished one the urge for a ciggy had passed. Unfortunately, after 4 years stopped I went back to it again. Don't know what came over me (drunk again) but I'm going to be stopping again this weekend. Good luck with your attempt.

Shabbychic
11-Mar-08, 16:23
I found sucking aniseed balls (the really hard ones that you can't crunch) helped me to stop smoking. By the time I had finished one the urge for a ciggy had passed. Unfortunately, after 4 years stopped I went back to it again. Don't know what came over me (drunk again) but I'm going to be stopping again this weekend. Good luck with your attempt.

Thanks grandma. My problem is though, I don't like sweets, cakes, biscuits, chocolate or any of the other things normal people like, and I don't snack between meals. Weirdies like me really have a problem when trying to give up smoking.http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

quiteone
11-Mar-08, 19:25
hi i read the link, the nurse explained all the ins and oust of it to me, as i have suffered depression in the past she made me aware that it may resurface. its good to know that others have or are goin thru the same thing. i had half a fag yesterday and 1 2day and thats them done. ahstrays r goin in the bin 2nite. got parents evening later so hopefully my daughters behaving or il be grumping :lol::lol: as from 2mro il be a nonsmoker!!! woohoo

silverfox57
11-Mar-08, 20:18
I wish you all the best quiteone,hope to hear how you get on .

quiteone
11-Mar-08, 23:09
thanx silverfox!!! will keep u updated!!

Poultney lad
11-Mar-08, 23:38
I tried nicorette inhaler for first two weeks then stop it now i am on nothing no craving and more money in my pocket ,first 48 hours the worst i am going into my eighth week now never thought i could do it
I was smoking 20 to 30 a day and there is no way i am going back on fags :)

quiteone
11-Mar-08, 23:48
well done its good to hear people bein positive about it!!

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-08, 23:55
Thats great.
Every story that tells us no more fags is a possitive one.
Well done and good luck

DeHaviLand
12-Mar-08, 00:37
I stopped just over a year ago. Didnt use any aids, just kept telling myself that I wasnt going to be beaten by cigarettes. 20 a day for 25 years, so you can do it too:)

Aaldtimer
12-Mar-08, 03:43
I believe this is National No Smoking Day! (Cough, cough!)

dirdyweeker
12-Mar-08, 09:34
well done its good to hear people bein positive about it!!

Well done to you on stopping! Been there, done that ,so know how you feel. I used to say " I'll have a fag tomorrow" every time I was tempted. By "tomorrow" I said it again until I lost the urge.
It is very difficult to stop no matter what anyone says but with the "Org" behind you I am sure you will win. :D

dirdyweeker
12-Mar-08, 17:34
fags up 12p a packet! Look how much better off you will be financially, the car is getting closer!
Hope your day was smoke free and not too stressful.........

quiteone
12-Mar-08, 19:47
i had a very busy day so not stopped to even think bout the fags, yip heard theyve gone up in price jus another bonus.

Bobbyian
12-Mar-08, 20:27
all the best to all of you who are giving it up. I gave it up in 2000 using pills lukily had no side efects and could give up the pills after 10 weeks. after 8weeks I began pfasing it out slowly my only problem was then what do nonb smokers do with their hands... but we got over that and the weight problem has also been solved I enjoy my food to much but I´m not over weight... so again I wish all of you the best it is worth it in the long run

Julia
12-Mar-08, 21:11
Personally I think if you want to quit you will and without the pills 'n' patches etc.. whatever happened to good old WILLPOWER!

Cinders392
12-Mar-08, 21:17
Personally I think if you want to quit you will and without the pills 'n' patches etc.. whatever happened to good old WILLPOWER!
Its true! Well I beleive so.
Never smoked but final got my mother to stop. Father is proving more of a problem though!

quiteone
12-Mar-08, 23:20
thats just it i have no willpower as tried and failed many a time with many a method to no avail. so if the tablets work then thats great cos if i was stopping using willpower alone id of failed already!!! a non smoker wouldnt know how difficult it is to stop. believe me its very very hard :cry::D

Fran
13-Mar-08, 04:19

There was an article in the paper today about these tablets....they cause depression and suicidal tendencies etc

quiteone
13-Mar-08, 09:33
yes they can cause depression and suicide tendencies but as the same with all side effects they have to make u aware off them. cos iv suffered depression b4 the nurse said it could trigger it off again but it mite not. there is alot of medication and illegal drugs that can cause depression and suicide thoughts. champix tablets r jus one of them. ;)

wifie
13-Mar-08, 10:15
Suicidal tendencies apart - I am amused to read there is a pill which seems to be replicating being pregnant! Weird nightmares and morning sickness sounds like what I went thru TWICE! Sympathy for you all but keep going - seems like you are all doing great - good to hear!

quiteone
13-Mar-08, 22:12
:lol: maybe i should do a test just incase!!! now that is a nite mare..........ones more than enuf for me ;)

EDDIE
14-Mar-08, 08:00
I would love to stop smoking ive tried it a few time in the past and have failed i no how horrible the withdraw symtoms is thats what puts me off doing it again the last time i stopped i used patches the 21mg patch was brilliant never felt a thing until i dropped down a size then i felt it.
The longest i have been without a fag is 1 year doing cold turkey the first 3 months was the worst for me after that it was cravings far in between and then one day i decided to stupidily have 1 fag and started again.
Its amazing when u stop how much money u save and after a couple of days you get your smell sense back and its amazing that smokers dont relise how much fags smell awful until u stop when i stopped i could smell a fag a hundred yards away.
Im going to have another go at stop smoking but im not in the right mood for it yet but im going to

silverfox57
14-Mar-08, 14:43
thats just it i have no willpower as tried and failed many a time with many a method to no avail. so if the tablets work then thats great cos if i was stopping using willpower alone id of failed already!!! a non smoker wouldnt know how difficult it is to stop. believe me its very very hard :cry::D
I total agree with you quiteone,you are no way alone ,willpower is hard to find ,all the best,

bekisman
14-Mar-08, 15:36
Quite a number mentioned 'willpower' - Interesting to see what percentages achieved the best result, this is just one study*
Quitting Smoking. the average success rate for all methods was 19 per cent: that is, only about one in five smokers is likely to succeed. Out of a test group:
36 per cent. Patients told that they had serious cardiac disorders, and so a clear incentive to stop immediately.
30 per cent hypnosis.
29 per cent Combination techniques, combining, for example, exercise and breathing therapy.
25 per cent Smoke aversion, in which smokers have their own warm, stale cigarette smoke blown back into their faces.
24 per cent. acupuncture.
10 per cent nicotine gum.
9 per cent Self-help, in the form of books or mail-order advice.
6 per cent Sheer willpower.

virtually no one The least successful method turned out to be advice from GPs.

* http://www.mindspa.co.uk/graphics/New%20Scientist.pdf (http://www.mindspa.co.uk/graphics/New Scientist.pdf)

Julia
14-Mar-08, 16:29
Quite a number mentioned 'willpower' - Interesting to see what percentages achieved the best result, this is just one study*
Quitting Smoking. the average success rate for all methods was 19 per cent: that is, only about one in five smokers is likely to succeed. Out of a test group:
36 per cent. Patients told that they had serious cardiac disorders, and so a clear incentive to stop immediately.
30 per cent hypnosis.
29 per cent Combination techniques, combining, for example, exercise and breathing therapy.
25 per cent Smoke aversion, in which smokers have their own warm, stale cigarette smoke blown back into their faces.

24 per cent. acupuncture.
10 per cent nicotine gum.
9 per cent Self-help, in the form of books or mail-order advice.
6 per cent Sheer willpower.

virtually no one The least successful method turned out to be advice from GPs.

* http://www.mindspa.co.uk/graphics/New%20Scientist.pdf (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.mindspa.co.uk/graphics/New%20Scientist.pdf)

Cripes, that's quite shocking!

I'm even more shocked to see that I fall into the six percent category

armanisgirl
14-Mar-08, 20:40
all the best in stopping smoking! If you have a wee relapse, don't get all worked up or angry or even feel guilty - there's no point beating yourself up. If you gain weight - big deal, you can diet!

Me - I've also tried stopping. Patches - allergic to them (I also found out that I was overdosing even on the lowest strength - I had really bad side effects!). Zyban - smoked twice as much, but no side effects. Champix - managed to cut down, but never got to the zero smoking point. I didn't notice any side effects, but as I'm so hyped up or exhausted anyway, I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong! My partner stopped using Champix, and did have unsettled nights, dry mouth and other minor symptoms, but as he's had 2 strokes and smoked like a chimney, he really had to stop. We didn't think he would have got to try Champix, as he's not allowed the patches due to his previous strokes. But the nurse said there was nothing on the side effects list or 'dont take this if you....' list, so agreed to him taking Champix under close monitoring. Champix is like most drugs (prescribed or otherwise) - there can be side effects, but as everybody is different and their bodies react to chemicals differently from joe bloggs, you can only try it and hope you don't have any side effects, or if you do, they're only mild.

Keep going, and best of luck! (And a little bit of willpower is still needed regardless of what method you employ in your quest to give up the dreaded sticks!!)

quiteone
08-Apr-08, 22:43
4 weeks no fags!! £140 saved in the bank!!! delighted wi myself :D

dirdyweeker
08-Apr-08, 22:45
extremely well done to you! Keep it up.

quiteone
08-Apr-08, 22:54
thank you!! :D

DeHaviLand
08-Apr-08, 23:02
4 weeks no fags!! £140 saved in the bank!!! delighted wi myself :D

Brilliant, you can be pleased with that. Keep it up, you are now a non-smoker :)

Kevin Milkins
09-Apr-08, 00:16
Well Done Quitstone
Your are no longer adicted to nictotine which is the hardest part of giving up the fags. The only problem you will have to face in the coming months is the habit .From time to time you will be in a situation that habit will say "I could do with a fag right now" That feeling only lasts for seconds so ride it out and continue as a non smoker. If it gets bad remind yourself of why you wanted to give it up in the first place and could you go through it again. well done and keep it up ,you know it makes sense

quiteone
09-Apr-08, 12:00
thanks again!! yea never thot about that i am a non smoker!!! haha but on a serios note i havent even had to use my inhalers for my asthma either since stopping!! i wont be goin back either. i know wat u mean about the habit thing as there r times where for a split second it comes into my head to ave a fag. but its a very quick passing thought!!:D