PDA

View Full Version : Carpet fitting.

rob16d
10-Mar-08, 19:04
Any advice/instructions on how to fit a capet myself?

Thumper
10-Mar-08, 19:09
Yup.......dont even think about it ;) x

rob16d
10-Mar-08, 19:14
Awwww why not....any bad experiences!!!

sweetpea
10-Mar-08, 19:23
You really need a stretching tool if not it'll be full of lurks. Having said that if its a tiny room or replacing lino in bathroom I'd go for it. I've seen me taking the old lino out of the toilet and using it as a template. BUt if it's in your sitting room or hall I'd get someone who knows what they are doing.

rob16d
10-Mar-08, 19:28
Ah ok...good idea bout template! Have to start from scratch...last carpet gone!

Thumper
10-Mar-08, 21:52
Rob you would really need a kicker etc to lay it properly and it's not as easy as it looks,but there are plenty of fitters that do "homers" and it isnt too expensive,and definately cheaper than having to buy another carpet if you mess it up :eek: x

rob16d
10-Mar-08, 22:24
How much is it and whos cheapest?

Thumper
10-Mar-08, 22:26
TBH Rob I am not sure but there are a few lads in Thurso and Wick that do it,if you ask at Jims carpets they have a list of fitters x

chaz
10-Mar-08, 22:36
What sort of carpet is it? And how big is it.Often depends on type,felt back, hessian back, foam back,etc if it needs streached or not:)

TBH
10-Mar-08, 22:42
TBH Rob I am not sure but there are a few lads in Thurso and Wick that do it,if you ask at Jims carpets they have a list of fitters xOi, I aint cheap.[lol]

rob16d
11-Mar-08, 07:26
What sort of carpet is it? And how big is it.Often depends on type,felt back, hessian back, foam back,etc if it needs streached or not:)

Ermmm, room is about 3 x 3 metres.... it's like canvas on the back...I take it that's Hessian? It's 2nd hand....so I dunno if it needs stretched.....?

rob16d
11-Mar-08, 08:06
I can't afford to get it fitted professionally.....so it will have to be me doing it...will prob make a botched job....:(

bky
11-Mar-08, 08:32
Last time i got a carpet fitted Jim Gillan ( Jims Carpets) recommended a guy it was only £20 for fitting

rob16d
11-Mar-08, 08:40
BKY that's quite a good price, will just have to not eat for a week! :(

What sized room was it though and was there underlay?

*Martin*
11-Mar-08, 13:07
I had a carpet put down on my stairs, upstair lobby and bathroom for £20

rob16d
11-Mar-08, 13:09
Martin...where'd you get that done? Would be really greatful...also did it include underlay?

Sapphire2803
11-Mar-08, 13:54
If it's second hand carpet, then I really wouldn't see the point of getting it fitted by a pro. Just lay it down and wiggle it around to get it straight, if it's really too big and climbing up the walls, then trim it down, but still leave it a couple of inches too big. Leave it for a few weeks to get 'walked in' then carefully trim it down to fit. Take your time, don't cut too much off at once. Remember, you can always trim more off, but if you get impatient and cut too much off, you can't cut it longer again. ;)

rob16d
11-Mar-08, 13:56
Good tip sapphire! About treading in! By the way, thanks again, I'm just about to laugh in the mirror!