PDA

View Full Version : T In The Park 2008

Blast!
10-Mar-08, 16:06
Who's going this year?

For years and years I wanted to go but have never bought a ticket. Which seemed a shame in the past but now feels like a blessing.

Do you T In The Park regulars feel let down over the last few years? From what I've seen, the line up has been pretty poor for 4 or 5 years now with only a handful of really good artists appearing. From what I remember, T In The Park used to be a festival for people who actually enjoyed music and cared about the line up.

It seems those days have gone. People who buy tickets the day after the previous years events seem to have a complete disregard for the lineup. Buying a ticket when you have no idea who's playing proves this.

Do you feel cheated by DF Concerts? Or are you happy to spend hundreds of pounds going to a festival where they will put on any old crap. Scouting For Girls, Newton Faulkner, The Hoosiers, Bowling For Soup, Shed Seven, The Feeling, Kaiser Chiefs, The Wombats, The Enemy and The Pigeon Detectives are just a few of the tripe bands they have signed up.

Do T just exclusively target the central belt neds and chavs who descend upon Balado every year? Have they found their target audience?

It really is a shame. T In The Park used to be something Scotland could be proud of. It seems those days are over. It's credibility is being thrown out of the window by a promoter hungry for more cash.

T In The Park has lost it's appeal. Real music fans are being cheated.

Sugababes on the Main Stage on Saturday? You've got to be joking. T In The Park isn't a One Big Weekend type festival....or is it?

Hmmm.

moncur
10-Mar-08, 17:55
A lot of the bands at TITP are tripe BUT there are a lot of good artists on the smaller stages. None of the NME stage acts appealed to me last year so I went between King Tuts, The Main Stage (for about 4 bands maximum!) and the Pet Sounds stage.

TITP looks like it tries to cater for a lot of popular genres (except metal grrrrr), so its not like the other festivals around.

There has been some pretty good acts headlining in the past though, The Who, RHCP, Foo Fighters to name from the couple of times I've been before. AND RATM are headlining this year! The good bands are there, you just need to do a lot of walking between stages!

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Mar-08, 17:55
www.melodytrip.com/MTNews/Default.aspx?NewsID=6035

Jeid
10-Mar-08, 20:25
There has been some pretty good acts headlining in the past though, The Who, RHCP, Foo Fighters to name from the couple of times I've been before. AND RATM are headlining this year! The good bands are there, you just need to do a lot of walking between stages!

The Who? Jesus biy... perhaps I'm wrong, but half that band are dead now? I don't think Entwistle played with them at TITP? They were at the top of their game many years ago.

RHCP? If it was 1991 or earlier, then superb... but it was 2006 (I think)... hardly at their peak.

RATM? Awesome band... and I'm sure they'll be great, but can you see a pattern emerging... great bands, just a bit past their peak.

loganbiffy
10-Mar-08, 21:25
I agree to an extent, RHCP's last great album was One Hot Minute (IMO), Californication is average(bummed up too much) and after that well the less said the better.

Apart from 2005 when the Foo's and Green Day headlined, the line-up has been poor.

It is really a festival for the masses which is why i prefer Reading and Leeds and my experience at Leeds '02 was amazing!

moncur
10-Mar-08, 23:35
I think the general consensus with festival headliners is usually a dissappointment in one way or another. Look at last year, Friday was Arctic Baboons and Sunday was Slow Patrol (hide the knives folks!). The handy thing about festivals is that if you dont like the band on the main stage, you can go watch another band somewhere else.

When Jeid mentioned great bands past their best, I can only reply with an example from Download '07. On Friday it was My chemical romance (main stage) vs Korn (2nd Stage). Now Korn are obviously not in their prime but its no contest who had the best crowd. And the Saturday was Linkin Park (Main) vs Motley Crue (2nd). hmmmmm hard decision!

Heres a question for all the people playing in young generation bands (anyone under 30 playing in a band): If you got a chance to play TITP, would you turn it down?

Jeid
11-Mar-08, 00:06
Korn are indeed past their best, in such a situation... head for the beer tent. At least the Download organisers realised that Korn were not a band of the moment, but still had a large following, so putting them on to headline the 2nd stage made sense.

No offence, I doubt any band from Caithness will be put in that situation Moncur, in fact, how many young Caithness bands are writing their own material and gigging it?

theboysintheband
11-Mar-08, 00:38
Our band are...not to say that we'll be playin' T like!

Wat about ur own band Jeid!

Jeid
11-Mar-08, 01:54
I don't know what bands are in the area... honestly :confused:

Not to say I'm writing anyone's chances off, I'm just doubtful it'd happen.

The only (under 30)Caithness bands I know who are writing their own stuff and gigging it are your band... it's the Maydays right? Ourselves, No Exit Wound and that's it. I dunno what the status of BossHogg is and Crimson Tide are based all over the shop now :) Estrella claim to be an Aberdeen band... so, I dunno if any band up here will ever make a TITP appearance again. (Buddha Crush did it right? But they weren't based here at the time, does that even count?)

I dunno, tbh, I listened to some of the bands that made the heats for Tbreak last year and they were a bit baws. I was hearing good musicianship but nothing was busting out of the speakers, grabbing me by the nuts and screaming in my ears... "YOU MUST LIKE THIS!" and no, I'm not just being prejudice against indie, there were some decent rock bands in there.

Tbreak, the only real chance of getting to play TITP without a record deal, is a funny thing. I know some great bands who have put demos in for it and never got anywhere with it and I've heard some tripe who've had the opposite effect.

I don't think my band would get in, but if we did... I don't think we'd say no. I don't think it would have any great bearing on the bands future, but it'd be a good thing to say you've done.

I was at Tbreak in the Liquid Rooms in 2003 and it was a decent gig, but the bands were a bit... bland I suppose. I know I certainly wasn't the only person who had that opinion.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Mar-08, 11:01
T-Break is a political nightmare. I know: I was on the judging panel for a couple of years. You'd all be better off cashing in your ISAs and heading to Hollywood and see if anyone at Capitol Records is interested in your record.

T ain't the be-all and end-all, folks. Seriously. I was offered a guitar-playing slot last year (in the Dance and Bacardi Tent) and turned it down because I had a better paying "gig" elsewhere.

Fight the Power, as Chuck would say...

Boozeburglar
11-Mar-08, 11:08
The Who? Jesus biy... perhaps I'm wrong, but half that band are dead now? I don't think Entwistle played with them at TITP? They were at the top of their game many years ago.

RHCP? If it was 1991 or earlier, then superb... but it was 2006 (I think)... hardly at their peak.

RATM? Awesome band... and I'm sure they'll be great, but can you see a pattern emerging... great bands, just a bit past their peak.

Having seen RHCP a couple of dozen times since the mid eighties, I would take them on a bad day over most of the many bands I have seen.

Are you band not yet past their 'peak'? Where is the point of peak in Caithness? Oh, I mind, Caithness really has no high peaks.

Someday you might peak at average.

I would listen to current 50% Who line up play a medley of folk dirges on a washing line of wet socks over your 'un-peaked' band, mate!

You forgot to mention REM too, aren't they well past their 'peak' boy?

Hijack a thread about TITP to talk about your band by all means, just to see its name on the same page as the likes of The Who, Rage, Peppers, etc.

Just keep telling yourself that age is all that matters, that that single fact somehow elevates you.

Playing TITP would make no difference to you?

Well now, do the rest of your band know you have such limited ambition, and are you being honest?

;)

rob murray
11-Mar-08, 11:44
T-Break is a political nightmare. I know: I was on the judging panel for a couple of years. You'd all be better off cashing in your ISAs and heading to Hollywood and see if anyone at Capitol Records is interested in your record.

T ain't the be-all and end-all, folks. Seriously. I was offered a guitar-playing slot last year (in the Dance and Bacardi Tent) and turned it down because I had a better paying "gig" elsewhere.

Fight the Power, as Chuck would say...

Well said ! the same logic applies to the so called Go North programme and also the seedlings tent at Belladrum. Last year there was one Highlands based band playing at the seedlings tent ( Theatre Fall ) this wasnt because there are no suitable bands in the highlands, more that established record companies use leverage to ensure that their bands appear first.Best band I saw there was the Wallbirds ( from Yorkshire !! ) Sergeant ( from Glenrothes ) currenlty signed to a major, staged ( and I mean staged ) a stage invasion at the behest and organstion of thier company. As for Go North the same applies. It really is fight the power if you are based in the Highlands and yes you would have a statistically better chance doorstepping Capitol at least you would actually have the pleasure of being told to move on !!

Jeid
11-Mar-08, 12:02
Having seen RHCP a couple of dozen times since the mid eighties, I would take them on a bad day over most of the many bands I have seen.

Are you band not yet past their 'peak'? Where is the point of peak in Caithness? Oh, I mind, Caithness really has no high peaks.

Someday you might peak at average.

I would listen to current 50% Who line up play a medley of folk dirges on a washing line of wet socks over your 'un-peaked' band, mate!

You forgot to mention REM too, aren't they well past their 'peak' boy?

Hijack a thread about TITP to talk about your band by all means, just to see its name on the same page as the likes of The Who, Rage, Peppers, etc.

Just keep telling yourself that age is all that matters, that that single fact somehow elevates you.

Playing TITP would make no difference to you?

Well now, do the rest of your band know you have such limited ambition, and are you being honest?

RHCP on 50%? Very good, you're entitled to your opinion.

I think you've taken my posting out of context biy. Past our peak? Have we had one? I dunno. I don't tend to worry about things like that.

Hijacking a thread to talk about ourselves? Not at all. In fact, I was actually responding to a question Moncur had asked and had then gone on to ask which bands in Caithness play their own music and gig it as I actually have no idea.

Get our name on the same page as them? Big deal... I'm not fussed.

I actually think REM have past their peak yeah.

I love how my opinions are turned around onto my band. It's superb. Cheers :D

I never said playing TITP would make no difference to me... did I? I can't see it anyway.

Do the rest of my band know about my limited ambition? haha... you know very little about my band mate.

Read the facts on this page. Moncur asked a question, I responded to his question(as I play in a band). You're keeping up the promotion of my band though. Cheers :)

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Mar-08, 14:10
Well said ! the same logic applies to the so called Go North programme and also the seedlings tent at Belladrum. Last year there was one Highlands based band playing at the seedlings tent ( Theatre Fall ) this wasnt because there are no suitable bands in the highlands, more that established record companies use leverage to ensure that their bands appear first.Best band I saw there was the Wallbirds ( from Yorkshire !! ) Sergeant ( from Glenrothes ) currenlty signed to a major, staged ( and I mean staged ) a stage invasion at the behest and organstion of thier company. As for Go North the same applies. It really is fight the power if you are based in the Highlands and yes you would have a statistically better chance doorstepping Capitol at least you would actually have the pleasure of being told to move on !!

I'll take your word for it regards Belladrum, rob. It could be better. Regards GoNorth: to their credit, they did have a fair stack of highland-based acts playing last year. I can definitely verify that. However, what I highly disapprove of is their lulling bands in to sign up with them - in other words, pay to apply (to play) - thus bringing them in lots of money and with only a small % of the bands who did apply going on to play at the festival; which, in this year's case, will mean playing a few pubs in Dundee at a ridiculously early hour. Now who wants to pay for the privilege of that!? Unfortunately many do, and by doing so, they not only add to their own problems, but others, too. It doesn't help the greater good. Thanks for replying by the way, rob.

rob murray
11-Mar-08, 16:25
I'll take your word for it regards Belladrum, rob. It could be better. Regards GoNorth: to their credit, they did have a fair stack of highland-based acts playing last year. I can definitely verify that. However, what I highly disapprove of is their lulling bands in to sign up with them - in other words, pay to apply (to play) - thus bringing them in lots of money and with only a small % of the bands who did apply going on to play at the festival; which, in this year's case, will mean playing a few pubs in Dundee at a ridiculously early hour. Now who wants to pay for the privilege of that!? Unfortunately many do, and by doing so, they not only add to their own problems, but others, too. It doesn't help the greater good. Thanks for replying by the way, rob.

Belladrum was a total joke, the seedlings tent was draped with HIAL banners ( Highlands and Islands Artists and Labels ) !! You are right about the Go North application process and indeed the "benefits" of being involved. The Go North Dundee event held last month was a shambles, no promomotion / pr nor any follow through,nothing, I know that as an absolute fact. What absolutely infuriates me is the involvement of the public sector in the "music business", its public money behind Go North, HIAL etc etc and public money has been used to "incubate bands" ie sliders for gig travel, first bite at festivals etc. In my view there should be no role at all for them, music is subjective and is best left to market forces. Why should a bureaucrat spend our money and indeed decide / influence which bands ( from this area ) are worth supporting / endorsing ?? On what criteria do they make decisions ?

You are spot on with what you are saying in this thread, you also have the experience at first hand through your profession to offer a great deal of information. Maybe another thread should be opened up providing real advise / guidance for local bands

Many thanks for your input here !

theone
11-Mar-08, 16:58
Who's going this year?

I've got a couple of tickets with the extra nights camping.

I was tempted to shamelessly tout them.

Quite fancy shed seven, counting crows and REM on the sunday now though.

theboss
11-Mar-08, 17:07
I've got a couple of tickets with the extra nights camping.

I was tempted to shamelessly tout them.

Quite fancy shed seven, counting crows and REM on the sunday now though.

You just want to Disco Down!

Boozeburglar
11-Mar-08, 18:50
Astronut ROOLZ!!!!

Thatz de faktz!

Basically what you are saying is that all these bands that have an average age of 40 or more are past their peak, now I get it!

Tell that to Johnny Fatts, he just keeps getting better and he must be at least 45!

Tell me something though, Jeid, what age are you again?

You see, I am 40.

I don't think you are old enough to have seen any of these bands at their 'peak' as you call it.

So what gives your opinion any credibility?

Take Neil Young, for example.

He still plays songs he wrote in the sixties, and they are as raw and energetic as they were in the eighties and he was playing them.

If you restrict yourself to judging his recorded output, you may well say he peaked in the seventies.

However, 'live' I cannot see how the performances I have seen from him in the 80s, 90s and more recently could be bettered.

You have a lot of bands in question here that are particularly 'live' acts, and the only one you have mentioned that I would agree have lost something are The Who.

The rest were as good the last time I saw them as the first. Different perhaps, but just as good.

Perhaps they don't know they have peaked?

Maybe you need to show them all how to kick real Rock'n'Roll butt!

:cool:

Jeid
11-Mar-08, 20:28
Lolz...

Keep bringing us into it, cheers. I like how I'm singled out for bashing... Blast! who started the post has criticised the current line-up and Logan has backed up what I said to an extent.

Anywho...

No, I never said that. I never said it as fact, I said it as my opinion, that most RHCP, RATM, REM and as you agreed, The Who, were booked when they weren't at their peak. Meaning, yeah, they're getting decent bands... but not when they were taking the world by storm and everyone was in awe of said bands. REM and RATM have played TITP before... and headlined, why again? Why not let a band of the moment take the top of the bill? I couldn't exactly think of a band... Muse perhaps?

Lolz... Fatts... moving on.

I'm 25, and when it comes to opinion, age means nothing. Blast! is younger than I, yet his "credibility" hasn't been called into question. If you're going to have a go over something, be consistent.

Very good for Neil Young, I couldn't comment on him as I've never really listened to any of his stuff at great length.

The rest were as good the last time I saw them as the first

That's fair enough, but remember, that's your opinion, not fact.

Perhaps they don't know they've peaked. However, when I listen to the past two RHCP albums... I think it's pretty baws.

Again, your continued promotion of my band is superb. We should hire you ;)

loganbiffy
11-Mar-08, 22:35
With said bands such as RHCP and REM, maybe they haven't peaked live as was said a few posts ago (also stated about Neil Young), but i can't help the way i feel about their past few albums.

RHCP have not had an album worth listening to since Californication, even that is over-rated, and all this is just MY OPINION.

I would however like to see RATM live as i was about 11 when they played TITP in '94!

I probably would enjoy seeing RHCP live but only if i knew they were not gonna play anything from their last 2 or 3 albums.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, i just prefer the Reading and Leeds festivals as they have bands that appeal to me more.

Blast!
12-Mar-08, 01:47
]Blast! is younger than I, yet his "credibility" hasn't been called into question. If you're going to have a go over something, be consistent.

Jeid, let it be known that I never said I ever had any credibility! ;)

I agree wholehearted with Jeids last post though. TitP booked the Who decades past their best, RHCP are past their peak and Rage have headlines before.

Time for something new.

Thankfully, there are plenty of other festivals in Scotland where real bands get a chance to shine.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Mar-08, 07:17
Belladrum was a total joke, the seedlings tent was draped with HIAL banners ( Highlands and Islands Artists and Labels ) !! You are right about the Go North application process and indeed the "benefits" of being involved. The Go North Dundee event held last month was a shambles, no promomotion / pr nor any follow through,nothing, I know that as an absolute fact. What absolutely infuriates me is the involvement of the public sector in the "music business", its public money behind Go North, HIAL etc etc and public money has been used to "incubate bands" ie sliders for gig travel, first bite at festivals etc. In my view there should be no role at all for them, music is subjective and is best left to market forces. Why should a bureaucrat spend our money and indeed decide / influence which bands ( from this area ) are worth supporting / endorsing ?? On what criteria do they make decisions ?

You are spot on with what you are saying in this thread, you also have the experience at first hand through your profession to offer a great deal of information. Maybe another thread should be opened up providing real advise / guidance for local bands

Many thanks for your input here !

Not sure I can add much to your post, rob, but you're right, it's pretty disappointing all round. Robert Hicks has a big hand in Belladrum, and, as a chap who has helped put the highlands on the map (so to speak) am surprised if what you say regards Belladrum is true. Though I don't doubt you, either.

Why should a bureaucrat spend our money and decide whom is worth supporting? On what criteria do they make decisions?

Well, from my own point of view, I have big, big reservations over allowing politicians and bureaucrats to interfere in creative industries, particularly Scottish music (of all kinds). Most countries are currently investing in supporting and exporting creative talent. Most of them are leaving Scotland trailing in their wake; if in any doubt, check out the increase in music industry income in countries seriously investing, such as Finland, Norway, Sweden and Canada. The key here is to get investment from the Scottish Executive. They're not nice, but needs must. We should all be playing it smart and persuade the Executive to give us some serious money like they do with all other industries via Scottish Enterprise. But, most importantly, we have to make sure the people in charge of giving it out know and understand fully the music industry, which, of course, they do not.

I doubt if much of my experience will be of any help or relevance, but I must admit if I was 16-years-old today I would probably think about gaining a real estate license than gigging with a local band.

So - who's handed in their T-Break/ GoNorth submissions, then? Anyone?

Jeid
12-Mar-08, 08:20
So - who's handed in their T-Break/ GoNorth submissions, then? Anyone?

We're planning it...

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Mar-08, 08:39
For next year? :)

Jeid
12-Mar-08, 08:55
Nah, for this year biy. I'm just waiting on our mastered tracks to arrive ;)

theboysintheband
12-Mar-08, 16:07
We had planned to hand in new decent demos that we thought mite have been finished by now...but typically, their not. The other ones are pretty shan so not sure if we will or no. Probably wouldna hurt but then again the Go North one costs...

WeeRob
12-Mar-08, 18:37
Belladrum was a total joke, the seedlings tent was draped with HIAL banners ( Highlands and Islands Artists and Labels ) !!

Surely they just bought advertising space the same way any other company / organisation can? Think the tent was actually produced in association with Hi-Arts anyway, so isn't it actually their right to have banners at their own event??

Flyermonkey
13-Mar-08, 00:13
Well said ! the same logic applies to the so called Go North programme and also the seedlings tent at Belladrum. Last year there was one Highlands based band playing at the seedlings tent ( Theatre Fall ) this wasnt because there are no suitable bands in the highlands, more that established record companies use leverage to ensure that their bands appear first.Best band I saw there was the Wallbirds ( from Yorkshire !! ) Sergeant ( from Glenrothes ) currenlty signed to a major, staged ( and I mean staged ) a stage invasion at the behest and organstion of thier company.

Hi Rob, sorry to disagree with you but I was the stage manager on the Seedlings Stage at Belladrum - and at least half the bands were from Inverness or further North / West with the rest mainly (bar the great Wallbirds) from within Scotland.

Off the top of my head Highland bands included Lowtide Revelry (Inverness), Luva Anna (Skye or the islands?), Our Lunar Activites (Lewis), Theatre Fall (Inverness) and so on. Am sure that there were more but my memory isn't always the best after a festival.

The stage invasion by Sergeant wasn't 'staged' though their manager did encourage it and and came very close to getting a 'boot in e' bahs' from the sound engineer for the amount of drink that was spilt on the stage. I wasn't too chuffed either but the sound engineer was much better at making his point (and much larger) than me.

I have worked at various places and in various roles with Go North and HIAL over the years and I do think they do a lot of good. All the guys there are really enthusiastic, and do really believe in getting music from the Highlands out there into the world. I guess the pot is only so big and they have a fairly big remit to cover so not everyone will be happy with the results, but having seen their work first hand on various occasions they do make the most of their pot.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Mar-08, 01:21
Hi Rob, sorry to disagree with you but I was the stage manager on the Seedlings Stage at Belladrum - and at least half the bands were from Inverness or further North / West with the rest mainly (bar the great Wallbirds) from within Scotland.

Off the top of my head Highland bands included Lowtide Revelry (Inverness), Luva Anna (Skye or the islands?), Our Lunar Activites (Lewis), Theatre Fall (Inverness) and so on. Am sure that there were more but my memory isn't always the best after a festival.

The stage invasion by Sergeant wasn't 'staged' though their manager did encourage it and and came very close to getting a 'boot in e' bahs' from the sound engineer for the amount of drink that was spilt on the stage. I wasn't too chuffed either but the sound engineer was much better at making his point (and much larger) than me.

I have worked at various places and in various roles with Go North and HIAL over the years and I do think they do a lot of good. All the guys there are really enthusiastic, and do really believe in getting music from the Highlands out there into the world. I guess the pot is only so big and they have a fairly big remit to cover so not everyone will be happy with the results, but having seen their work first hand on various occasions they do make the most of their pot.

Fair dos. But answer me this, then, please: do you think it is right for GoNorth to charge bands money to apply to appear at GoNorth on the understanding they might get Nothing in return?

Flyermonkey
13-Mar-08, 11:17
Fair dos. But answer me this, then, please: do you think it is right for GoNorth to charge bands money to apply to appear at GoNorth on the understanding they might get Nothing in return?

It does seem a strange thing to do! But I don't know anything about it so shouldn't really comment.

Flyermonkey
13-Mar-08, 13:02
Fair dos. But answer me this, then, please: do you think it is right for GoNorth to charge bands money to apply to appear at GoNorth on the understanding they might get Nothing in return?So I am confused... according to the GoNorth 2008 website http://www.gonorth.biz/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.gonorth.biz/)

Applying is easier than ever. You can apply free on line at this site. Simply attach a biog, picture and mp3s. You will be considered for all stages at goNORTH except the Sonic Bids stage. You will also be considered for Rockness. Remember, by applying you are giving us permission to use the info and tracks you send for promotional purposes (assuming you are offered a place at goNORTH or Rockness). Your track will also be considered for the sampler CD that goes out on the cover of MUSIC WEEK unless you tell us otherwise. Applications must be received by 28/03/08. So, you only pay (in dollars) if you sign up via 'Sonic Bids' which appears to be some sort of American company offering 'matchmaking services' to bands and promoters. So, even if you do sign up via Sonicbids you do (in theory) get something back.

I should have checked this earlier as I did think it was against GoNorth's remit to make bands 'pay to play'.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Mar-08, 17:48
Pay-to-play has hit the electronic age at last, eh? Last year, it was roughly $14.95 (about £9) to register. There's no way I'd pay an online company money to send music that can be done for free (a la MySpace). I can only imagine GoNorth have contacted Sonicbids, telling them they'll get loads of young bands signing up in exchange for a commission. Or, the Sonicbids people have put the hard sell on GoNorth, saying they'll take away any effort from selecting bands (except, that, they'll still have to listen to the bands, unless they let the site choose the bands who paid for the longest duration subscription.) Either way it's sad, destructive and immoral.

The Internet and MySpace should be the way ahead for an environmental, simple, and effort-free way to audition bands for any event. Or, with a fairly small bit of effort, bands could be given a rigid format to send in mp3, biog and pix or whatever they require. However, Sonicbids allows promoters to expend NO effort.

It's sad: bands can spend a few quid on registering and still have their music laughed at and tossed in both the office and cyber bins. Sadder yet, they will continue to receive hundreds of applications from young bands suckered into the whole thing.

Not for me.

Flyermonkey
13-Mar-08, 18:34
Applying is easier than ever. You can apply free on line at this site. Simply attach a biog, picture and mp3s. You will be considered for all stages at goNORTH except the Sonic Bids stage. From the goNorth website.

Its only if you want to play the Sonic Bids stage that you have to pay to enter for goNorth otherwise it is free to enter. I can't imagine that anyone would pay $9 as I assume that as in previous years there will be a good number of stages.

I would agree that Sonic Bids seems a waste of money, but neither goNorth or Sonic Bids are making anyone sign up or even particularly distracting from the goNorth application process.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Mar-08, 19:29
Heard too many bad luck/ horror stories to make me change my opinion on it. If bands want to go ahead with it, fine. For me, though, their card has already been marked.

rob murray
14-Mar-08, 11:55

I guess what I am trying to say is why not have a truly highlands based tent ie Go North : Showcase for Northern bands. I disagree with you though at best 3 bands had highland connections ( luvva anna are from Dundee ) Figure 5 from Glasgow etc etc . I was there at the sergeant gig and stood behind some older guys there with the band, they definitely had thought it out in advance as I heard them speaking about it. Crackin band though, heard they have a big deal !

Flyermonkey
14-Mar-08, 13:30
I guess what I am trying to say is why not have a truly highlands based tent ie Go North : Showcase for Northern bands. I disagree with you though at best 3 bands had highland connections ( luvva anna are from Dundee ) Figure 5 from Glasgow etc etc . I was there at the sergeant gig and stood behind some older guys there with the band, they definitely had thought it out in advance as I heard them speaking about it. Crackin band though, heard they have a big deal !

Fair enough, like I said my memory isn't the best after festivals! I can see what you are saying about goNorth, though their remit extends as far across as Aberdeen (where it started) and down to Dundee as well. There were 20 bands on over the two days, so I am not sure that there are enough bands, of a good enough standard, from Inverness and North to cover that many slots?

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Mar-08, 13:53
I'm certain a lot of bands across the highlands would be quick to disagree with you.

rob murray
14-Mar-08, 14:55
Fair enough, like I said my memory isn't the best after festivals! I can see what you are saying about goNorth, though their remit extends as far across as Aberdeen (where it started) and down to Dundee as well. There were 20 bands on over the two days, so I am not sure that there are enough bands, of a good enough standard, from Inverness and North to cover that many slots?

Yes and who defines the standard and how "qualified" are they ? If say 50% of slots ( 10 in total then over 2 days ) were reserved for Highland based bands then at least people would have a realistic chance of appearing and a real goal to strive for. After all, Belladrum is a Highland Festival and people buy tickets for the event itself, so what would it matter if the local bands were relatively unknown,( did anybody really know much about the bands on last yeasrs seedlings bill ) they could all get valuable exposure. How about Go rRal North or Go Far North, providing a genuine platform for highlands based bands because theyre out there and perhaps a real effort from Go North could act as an incentive.

Off the top of my head, without any research and knowing nothing about what is going on in the islands try this for local bands :

Shutter, The Side, The Now, Crimson Tide, Catching Ami, Astronot, The Microscopic Talents, Theatre Fall, Isacc Sutherland ( all have good original material, have toured and recorded to various levels )

Im sure there are more that I dont know about.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Mar-08, 15:13
I wouldn't kid myself about these festivals. Though they'd like you to think they are compassionate, understanding and doing their upmost to help young highlands bands (certainly they do their bit, and it is a bit), but like everyone else, they're business people whose primary aim is to make money.

How to decide on who is worthy? Easy, pay enough coinage and you'll get your half-hour no problem. Just ask The Low Miffs and PopUp.