PDA

View Full Version : swimming lessons

LRM
10-Mar-08, 15:51
just wanted to see if anyone else has had problem trying to arrange swimming lessons at wick pool. I have been trying since this time last year to get my son on the list and they are STILL not taking any more names. I have heard from friends that some people get 2 weeks of lessons and then are called back 2 weeks later for more lessons, surely they must have a fairer way of doing it.

ashaw1
10-Mar-08, 16:50
You do need to put your name on a waiting list, even then it takes months for your child's name to get to the top. You get 2 weeks of lessons then after that your child's name goes back on the list followed by months of waiting again. I can understand this is a really strange way of working things you are not even told if your child's name is going back onto the list until 6 months later when you receive the phonecall to start them again. I did however hear that the whole system was about to be changed so maybe that is why they arn't taking any more names.

LRM
10-Mar-08, 16:57
they are not even taking names for the waiting list!!

rfr10
10-Mar-08, 18:07
I help coach at Wick Swimming Club but am not that aware about how things work but the club, a while ago now, was set up in a different format where there is no waiting list and instead the swimmer takes a trial with the club on a specific night and depending on their ability, they will or will not be accepted to be moved into the development squad of the club.

I have no part in the running of the club other than to coach at the moment so I can't tell you complete facts but what I've said is on the right lines. I suggest you get in contact with the pool and ask who to contact. I'll send you a PM with who to email for more details. It's the only contact I have at the moment for the club.

Hope this helps.

Blondie
10-Mar-08, 18:11
Can you swim LRM? You may be as well teaching your son yourself. I dont think the lessons are up to much. There isn't even anyone in the pool with the kids.
I'm sure you could teach him just as well, if you swim that is.

rfr10
10-Mar-08, 18:30
Can you swim LRM? You may be as well teaching your son yourself. I dont think the lessons are up to much. There isn't even anyone in the pool with the kids.

Excuse me.

The lessons are up to much and all of the coaches volunteer their time to teach the swimmers and they put a lot of effort into it. Coaches are not supposed to be in the pool with the swimmers unless for a specific lesson. I think you'll find that olympic swimmers are taught by poolside coaches and all of the coaches for Wick Swimming Club are either trained or have experence in swimming. I can't see how you can say the lessons are not up to much when the majority of the swimmers have developed very well throughout the club.

Blondie
10-Mar-08, 18:37
Excuse me.

The lessons are up to much and all of the coaches volunteer their time to teach the swimmers and they put a lot of effort into it. Coaches are not supposed to be in the pool with the swimmers unless for a specific lesson. I think you'll find that olympic swimmers are taught by poolside coaches and all of the coaches for Wick Swimming Club are either trained or have experence in swimming. I can't see how you can say the lessons are not up to much when the majority of the swimmers have developed very well throughout the club.

Well excuse me ......... Thats my opinion and I'm entitled to it just as you are yours. I've been there and I wasnt impressed at all.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

leslie65
10-Mar-08, 18:47
Both my kids were taught to swim at Thurso pool in the same way then went on to join the swimming club. They both became super swimmers, much better than I would ever have been able to teach them myself. I think all the coaches do a wonderful job.

EDDIE
10-Mar-08, 19:05
just wanted to see if anyone else has had problem trying to arrange swimming lessons at wick pool. I have been trying since this time last year to get my son on the list and they are STILL not taking any more names. I have heard from friends that some people get 2 weeks of lessons and then are called back 2 weeks later for more lessons, surely they must have a fairer way of doing it.

Why not teach your kids to swim yourself.

Moby
10-Mar-08, 19:32
RFR10 - I think Blondie was meaning the Council "Learn to Swim" lessons not the Swimming Club Squad Sessions - totally different level of ability completely.

Blondie - I think you will find that the teachers are probably not allowed in the water with the kids for Child Protection Reasons.

My child has gone through the same lessons with the Thurso Pool Staff and I have to say they were fantastic - he has so much confidence in the water now. They don't work waiting lists anymore at Thurso - they have an Open Registration day which is on a first come first served basis. I don't envy the pool staff's job thats for sure - could you imagine having to teach about 20 five year old non swimmers at one time.....arhhh!

telfordstar
10-Mar-08, 21:32
I help coach at Wick Swimming Club but am not that aware about how things work but the club, a while ago now, was set up in a different format where there is no waiting list and instead the swimmer takes a trial with the club on a specific night and depending on their ability, they will or will not be accepted to be moved into the development squad of the club.

I have no part in the running of the club other than to coach at the moment so I can't tell you complete facts but what I've said is on the right lines. I suggest you get in contact with the pool and ask who to contact. I'll send you a PM with who to email for more details. It's the only contact I have at the moment for the club.

Hope this helps.

hi could you pm me with details i tyied to get my son into the swimming club he is 8 this year and loves to swim.

ashaw1
10-Mar-08, 22:18
hi could you pm me with details i tyied to get my son into the swimming club he is 8 this year and loves to swim.
As far as i am aware the children are selected from the swimming lessons after showing their ability in the pool. I know when my son was at his lessons last time a couple of the older children were given letters stating the times/days etc. I could be wrong.

Rourkee
11-Mar-08, 13:33

If as you say "the lessons are not up to much" why dont you volunteer your expertise and assist with the lessons?
My children all started with the after school lessons and progressed to the swimming club once they reached the desired ability.
I have nothing but praise for the swimming club coaches who give up their free time to teach other peoples kids to swim and i'm sure they would jump at the chance of your help.

rob16d
11-Mar-08, 13:38
If as you say "the lessons are not up to much" why dont you volunteer your expertise and assist with the lessons?

I'm not taking sides...just stating that she didn't say she thinks she can do a better job....

rfr10
11-Mar-08, 17:15
As far as i am aware the children are selected from the swimming lessons after showing their ability in the pool. I know when my son was at his lessons last time a couple of the older children were given letters stating the times/days etc. I could be wrong.

Does your quote mean that you want me to post you the details aswell?