PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Matthews

TBH
09-Mar-08, 23:02
Shannon Mathews 9 years old, missing for 19 days and the media don't seem to care. Contrast that with the Madeleine McCann case and the almost blanket coverage and you wonder why one missing child is afforded all the powers of the media and the other is seemingly forgotten about. Is it as some reporters suggest, a reflection of the social status of the parents?

mums angels
09-Mar-08, 23:08
wouldn't say the media didn't care its been all over the news and papers down there and bbc news websites etc ... friends and i were discussing it the monday after she went missing ..my folks are near there and they have noticed alot of media etc ... difference i think between maddy is that her folks had lots of money and the story shocked people as they were on holiday and left unattended poor shannon isn't from a well off family and went missing on the way home from school :( i do hope she's found and no i don't think her parents financial status should matter .

Julia
09-Mar-08, 23:15
I think it is a direct result of her parent's social status, if they were lawyers or doctors like Maddy's parents then it would be a completely different story. That poor girl has been missing for nearly 3 weeks, it would be in her best interests to keep the story fresh and talked about on a daily basis.

Timesonline have certainly hit the nail on the head! And this was written on March 1st!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3463481.ece (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3463481.ece)

TBH
10-Mar-08, 03:31
wouldn't say the media didn't care its been all over the news and papers down there and bbc news websites etc ... friends and i were discussing it the monday after she went missing ..my folks are near there and they have noticed alot of media etc ... difference i think between maddy is that her folks had lots of money and the story shocked people as they were on holiday and left unattended poor shannon isn't from a well off family and went missing on the way home from school :( i do hope she's found and no i don't think her parents financial status should matter .You have hit the nail on the head, "Madeleine's folks had lots of money and poor Shannon isn't from a well of family", Shannon Mathews Mum and stepdad are poor people, she dissapeared in this country and nobody seems to give a toss. Karen Matthews loves her daughter as much as the mcCann's love theirs. Why were the McCanns afforded more news time than the Mathews?

I think it is a direct result of her parent's social status, if they were lawyers or doctors like Maddy's parents then it would be a completely different story. That poor girl has been missing for nearly 3 weeks, it would be in her best interests to keep the story fresh and talked about on a daily basis.

Timesonline have certainly hit the nail on the head! And this was written on March 1st!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3463481.ece (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3463481.ece)JUlia, I am in 100% agreement with you, It is because of her social status and because of her mums social status that the press have practically ignored the plight of this poor wee child. The thing is I totally agree with the coverage afforded to Madeleine McCann but should that not be a standard of media coverage afforded to every young child that goes missing? Karen Matthews has seven childen by five fathers, Big deal. Because of that fact has her daughters life become worthless?

ciderally
10-Mar-08, 09:48

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3463481.ece

i think you are so right on this julia...

A_Usher
10-Mar-08, 11:20
I agree, its very sad, any child no matter finance, colour or creed deserves our full attention, and i think its a disgrace the lack of coverage on this and the other kids that go missing.

badger
10-Mar-08, 11:33
Karen Matthews has seven childen by five fathers, Big deal. Because of that fact has her daughters life become worthless?

Actually seven children by five fathers is a big deal and may be part of the reason this has received less coverage. Madeleine was taken from her bed so the initial immediate reaction was abduction which is far more shocking than what was believed to have happned originally with Shannon. Children run away from home all the time for all sorts of reasons and it was believed at first that this was what Shannon had done, I think to be with her father, so presumably they thought she would turn up safe and sound. Her friend said she had decided to go home a different way so it was a deliberate decision. It was only when she had been missing for a while that the possibility of abduction came into it.

Part of the reason Madeleine was kept in front of the media was that it happened abroad and the local police appeared so incompetent, which made it more newsworthy. At the time many people said, why don't the children in this country who go missing get the same amount of attention? Sadly because children running away is so common and many of them stay missing. I don't think it is so much to do with money as with circumstances.

It was on national news again yesterday and has never been off for very long so I don't think she has been forgotten - there is just nothing to report. With Madeleine there was always something happening - suspects (including her parents), possible sightings. News is news and there is no news on Shannon. What are they supposed to do? Her face appears every time the case is mentioned, there have been the usual appeals. What do you want them to say?

TBH
10-Mar-08, 12:09
Actually seven children by five fathers is a big deal and may be part of the reason this has received less coverage. Madeleine was taken from her bed so the initial immediate reaction was abduction which is far more shocking than what was believed to have happned originally with Shannon. Children run away from home all the time for all sorts of reasons and it was believed at first that this was what Shannon had done, I think to be with her father, so presumably they thought she would turn up safe and sound. Her friend said she had decided to go home a different way so it was a deliberate decision. It was only when she had been missing for a while that the possibility of abduction came into it.

Part of the reason Madeleine was kept in front of the media was that it happened abroad and the local police appeared so incompetent, which made it more newsworthy. At the time many people said, why don't the children in this country who go missing get the same amount of attention? Sadly because children running away is so common and many of them stay missing. I don't think it is so much to do with money as with circumstances.

It was on national news again yesterday and has never been off for very long so I don't think she has been forgotten - there is just nothing to report. With Madeleine there was always something happening - suspects (including her parents), possible sightings. News is news and there is no news on Shannon. What are they supposed to do? Her face appears every time the case is mentioned, there have been the usual appeals. What do you want them to say?She could have ten children by ten different fathers and it wouldn't diminish the importance of this young girls life. Because she made a deliberate decision to go home by another route is irrelevant, she left her friend, never arrived home so an immediate search for this 9 year old child should have been instigated without making any assumptions as to her motives. All I am asking is that there should be a standard procedure for missing children no matter what the social status of their families, poverty is not a life choice and is no basis for the importance of a missing child.

Penelope Pitstop
10-Mar-08, 13:28
She could have ten children by ten different fathers and it wouldn't diminish the importance of this young girls life. Because she made a deliberate decision to go home by another route is irrelevant, she left her friend, never arrived home so an immediate search for this 9 year old child should have been instigated without making any assumptions as to her motives. All I am asking is that there should be a standard procedure for missing children no matter what the social status of their families, poverty is not a life choice and is no basis for the importance of a missing child.
I agree, it should make no difference how many partners her mother has had or how many half brothers or sisters she has....this is all about the wee lassie...should make no difference where or what background she comes from...she's a bairn for goodness sake....just like yours and mine...no difference.

Julia
10-Mar-08, 13:42
Actually seven children by five fathers is a big deal and may be part of the reason this has received less coverage. Madeleine was taken from her bed so the initial immediate reaction was abduction which is far more shocking than what was believed to have happned originally with Shannon.

Having kids by different dads does not make them less important, my children have different fathers so if one of them went missing they shouldn't expect the same coverage as Maddy got?

Any child missing is shocking no matter what the circumstances of their disappearance.

There were posters of Maddy plastered in shops here in Wick, why not of Shannon? She went missing in this country, she's bound to still be in it! More chance of seeing her here than Maddy I should think.

I don't for one moment believe Maddy was taken from her bed, the truth will come out eventually whatever it may be but I'm quite sure it's not at all what was actually stated originally.

Thumper
10-Mar-08, 13:43
For goodness sake I cant believe anybody would think that because the childs mother has had serveral children by several different fathers that that child doesnt deserve the coverage that other missing children do!I couldnt care less if the childs mother was a prostitute(and no i am not saying in any way she was!) the child still deserves the same treatment as any other child that goes missing!Whether she has been taken or has run away should not come into it,the fact is she is a child and has disappeared! x

scorrie
10-Mar-08, 13:51

It was on national news again yesterday and has never been off for very long so I don't think she has been forgotten - there is just nothing to report. With Madeleine there was always something happening - suspects (including her parents), possible sightings. News is news and there is no news on Shannon. What are they supposed to do? Her face appears every time the case is mentioned, there have been the usual appeals. What do you want them to say?

I would like you to elaborate on the first sentence please Badger.

I agree with the rest of what you say though. The McCann case was simply a "sexier" story for the Media, with a lot more angles to be analysed. No small part of the blanket coverage was the fact that so many people believed that the parents had been responsible. There was as much hatred aimed at the McCanns due to their social status, as there was sympathy for their plight.

Julia, you said yourself that you thought the McCanns were responsible for their Child's death, even if it were by accident. Has the Shannon Matthews case captured your attention to the same degree that you are ready to put a theory forward on what has happened this time?

Rightly or wrongly, the Media goes with the "best" stories. I don't think we have the airtime available to provide (or the appetite for) continual coverage of every missing kid. The McCann case was covered out of all proportion and we should not expect (or in my opinion wish) for that to become the standard.

My sympathy goes to the families, no matter what their social status is. However, we should not forget that many, many children in our country live in fear, squallor and in a home where they are not safe from their own parents. More should be done to address that fact, in my opinion, ahead of all the outpouring of grief that occurs for one unfortunate individual.

unicorn
10-Mar-08, 14:30
If it was my child missing I would do anything to keep the story out there even if it meant running naked in the street to get the medias attention.
Every child is precious and every child that disappears should be given huge coverage.
Can you imagine what her parents are going through, If she is still alive what kind of hell is she going through now, because you can be sure that whoever has taken has not done so to play tea parties.
The fact that there were other attempted abductions around the same time should make it even more newsworthy as there is obviously some sicko out there trying to pick up kids.
It may not have been in the same town but a few hours travelling in a car is nothing for a determined person.

scotsboy
10-Mar-08, 14:49
Well I am in Saudi Arabia and have heard and seen the story reported each and every day since her disappearance.........in fact it has just been on the news again.

changilass
10-Mar-08, 15:01
I'm not sure that I would want every instance of a missing child reported to the extent of the McCain case. There would be a tendency towards becoming imune to the tragedy behind the news.

Having said that, if it was my child I would do as Unicorn says and do whatever it takes to keep it upermost in folks minds.

Julia
10-Mar-08, 16:14
snip> Julia, you said yourself that you thought the McCanns were responsible for their Child's death, even if it were by accident. Has the Shannon Matthews case captured your attention to the same degree that you are ready to put a theory forward on what has happened this time?

Not really, I just hope she has run off and is hiding somewhere safely.

Rightly or wrongly, the Media goes with the "best" stories. I don't think we have the airtime available to provide (or the appetite for) continual coverage of every missing kid. The McCann case was covered out of all proportion and we should not expect (or in my opinion wish) for that to become the standard.

I totally agree, the coverage has IMHO been totally OTT. I'm all in favour of adequate coverage to keep the story fresh on a daily basis, even if it's showing her picture and saying no news as yet but do stay vigilant.

My sympathy goes to the families, no matter what their social status is. However, we should not forget that many, many children in our country live in fear, squallor and in a home where they are not safe from their own parents. More should be done to address that fact, in my opinion, ahead of all the outpouring of grief that occurs for one unfortunate individual.

Children are apparently most at risk from their own parents! I couldn't agree with you more Scorrie. In this day and age it's totally unacceptable that children are dragged up in such a way, will it ever really change tho'?

Rheghead
10-Mar-08, 17:21
Is it as some reporters suggest, a reflection of the social status of the parents?

I don't know but there may be two reasons. Either the 'social differences' between the two sets of parents has created the disparity in media coverage or the media is creating the disparity because of the 'social differences' in the two sets of parents.

The latter seems the most immoral reason to me.

badger
10-Mar-08, 18:10
Where did I say that Shannon's life (or any child's life) is less important than any other child's. What I said was that initially it was assumed she had run away from home to be with her father - if her father had been at home she would not have wanted to run away. Five fathers between seven children is hardly a stable background and it's no wonder if the children are pretty mixed up. In fact I would be concerned for all of them.

Children, even younger than 9, run away from home. Sometimes it's just a childish protest and they are quickly found. A child of 9 taking a different route home would not immediately arouse the same concern as a child of 3 taken from its bed.

The tragedy is that there are so many missing children - some hit the headlines, some stay there, some don't even make the national news. Many end of up on the streets of big cities and are taken up by pimps. Shannon is being kept on the news from time to time but her story can hardly be reported every day when there is nothing new. That does not mean the thought of where she may now be is not unbearable, or of what her parents are going through. One reason the Portuguese police were criticised is that they simply don't have the experience of missing children. Our police are far more competent because they do - all the time.

I do not believe it has anything to do with money or class, it is just a completely different set of circumstances. The fact that Madeleine's parents were suspect made it hers a continuing news story. No-one suspects Shannon's parents as far as I know. What do you expect the media to do? Report every day that there is nothing to report? It is not possible that anyone in this country does not know what she looks like.

Of course Shannon is as important as Madeleine. How could anyone think otherwise?

percy toboggan
10-Mar-08, 19:47
This llittle girl was vulnerable before she went missing. A succession of temporary fathers, the latest, much younger than her mother...apparently enjoyed 'tickling and cuddling games 'with Shannon. I don't know about you but this quote from her Mum immediately caught my eye, and raise the brow above it.

Any woman who has seven children by five fathers is in my opinion lacking in judgement. Though I have no doubt she adores and loves her children she is certainly short of something...by the sound of it common sense, perhaps.

The McCann girl went missing on holiday. It was August...when newspapers are struggling for stories...they even call it the 'silly season' in the trade. Madeleines parent were deemed culpable..at least by many who thought she should not have been left alone. The parents themselves helped the media campaign take off with their expertise and savvy use of connections.

Rememebr at the time people were saying 'they'd have been crucified if they'd have been poor.' Remember also that they were named as 'official suspects' which maintined press interest. There was also the chance to have a pop at a foreign police force. All nirvana for a voracious press.

Sadly, hundred of kids like Shannon go missing every year. Most turn up safe but some don't. I think there may be a case of less coverage because of the girls social status but I think it marginal.

The poor child was dealt a poor hand at birth. I hope it has had nothing to do with her disappearance, and I hope she is found safe and well very soon.
Those who rush to the defence of her mother though are, well meaning, and admirably intentioned...I cannot join you though.

Spring Flower
10-Mar-08, 19:50
This llittle girl was vulnerable before she went missing. A succession of temporary fathers, the latest, much younger than her mother...apparently enjoyed 'tickling and cuddling games 'with Shannon. I don't know about you but this quote from her Mum immediately caught my eye, and raise the brow above it.

Any woman who has seven children by five fathers is in my opinion lacking in judgement. Though I have no doubt she adores and loves her children she is certainly short of something...by the sound of it common sense, perhaps.

The McCann girl went missing on holiday. It was August...when newspapers are struggling for stories...they even call it the 'silly season' in the trade. Madeleines parent were deemed culpable..at least by many who thought she should not have been left alone. The parents themselves helped the media campaign take off with their expertise and savvy use of connections.

Rememebr at the time people were saying 'they'd have been crucified if they'd have been poor.' Remember also that they were named as 'official suspects' which maintined press interest. There was also the chance to have a pop at a foreign police force. All nirvana for a voracious press.

Sadly, hundred of kids like Shannon go missing every year. Most turn up safe but some don't. I think there may be a case of less coverage because of the girls social status but I think it marginal.

The poor child was dealt a poor hand at birth. I hope it has had nothing to do with her disappearance, and I hope she is found safe and well very soon.
Those who rush to the defence of her mother though are, well meaning, and admirably intentioned...I cannot join you though.

I also felt a bit disturbed when I read about the 'tickling games'. Hopefully she will be returned safe and well.

Just a note - Madeleine went missing beginning of May last year.

percy toboggan
10-Mar-08, 19:58
I also felt a bit disturbed when I read about the 'tickling games'. Hopefully she will be returned safe and well.

Just a note - Madeleine went missing beginning of May last year.

You are right SF...and I'm happy to stand corrected.
Thanks.

starry
10-Mar-08, 19:59
The One Show are discussing this just now if anyone is interested.

percy toboggan
10-Mar-08, 20:08
The One Show are discussing this just now if anyone is interested.
Yes, and I'm listening.
Truth is ...
...is anyone really surpised IF affluent middle class people are treated differently to habitual benefit claiming, poly-paternal sub-working class family folk ?

Life isn't fair and never was.

This is an interesting thread, disturbing also that in todays internet age private tragedies become public discussion points. I'm as guilty as anyone.Maybe we should all wind our necks, and our noses in.

Penelope Pitstop
10-Mar-08, 20:17
It's really disturbing that there are 1400 registered sex offenders within a 25 mile radius of where she lives, 11 of whom have gone to ground over the last year.

How many are living in your area??[disgust]

percy toboggan
10-Mar-08, 20:24
It's really disturbing that there are 1400 registered sex offenders within a 25 mile radius of where she lives, 11 of whom have gone to ground over the last year.

How many are living in your area??[disgust]

Remember Penelope that far from all of them will be paedophiles. I agree though , a proportion will be and it is worrying.

I have no idea just how many sex-offenders live near me but as I'm 'urban' I imagine it's a similar number. They sre of little danger to me but my vulnerable one are watched, and warned in a calm manner.

All the aforementioned 'paedophiles' would not be at liberty in my world...one serious strike and they'd be 'out' *...however....this is not a subject I usually like to comment upon on because it attracts (understandably) a form of hysteria.

...the chances of abduction by stranger is miniscule..the answer usually lies closer to home with people who know the victim & of whom the Police have no record whatsoever.

*isolated incarceration for life.

Penelope Pitstop
10-Mar-08, 20:44
Remember Penelope that far from all of them will be paedophiles. I agree though , a proportion will be and it is worrying.

I have no idea just how many sex-offenders live near me but as I'm 'urban' I imagine it's a similar number. They sre of little danger to me but my vulnerable one are watched, and warned in a calm manner.

All the aforementioned 'paedophiles' would not be at liberty in my world...one serious strike and they'd be 'out' *...however....this is not a subject I usually like to comment upon on because it attracts (understandably) a form of hysteria.

...the chances of abduction by stranger is miniscule..the answer usually lies closer to home with people who know the victim & of whom the Police have no record whatsoever.

*isolated incarceration for life.

Yes, I realise that all 1400 won't be paedophiles....but I was still really shocked at 1400 sex offenders within such a short distance.

TBH
10-Mar-08, 22:12
Was anyone else disturbed by the fifteen year old left virtually to her own devices in Goa. Her mother now on a mission to find the murderer?

This girl was still a child for Chrissake. Using drugs and alcohol allegedly - and fitted with a tongue stud......nice, I don't think.
It's a rotten way for anyone to end up but the mother has questions to answer and it's about time somebody started asking them.

I'm not in the habit of criticising Mothers...but in this case, and the much younger Matthew's girl it's evident that both of them would have benefitted from a steady, sensible & committed father. Wherever their Dad's were it was the wrong place and too far away.I took this from another thread, hope you don't mind. I would like to ask why you have linked the two mothers in this case? One was left to her own devices in a foreign country, the other was returning home from school when she went missing.
How exactly would a sensible & commited father have prevented her from going missing? That is supposing that her step-father is not a good person which I wouldn't really know one way or the other but I am sure we will find out.

JAWS
10-Mar-08, 23:15
Shannon Mathews has a father who she was obviously still in touch with and also a step-father.

The girl in Goa is only 15, was left, by her mother, with a "Tour Guide" in his 20s whilst her mother and the rest of the children went off elsewhere for at least a few days. The girl would appear to have formed some kind of relationship with a local male and was, as far as has been reported, left behind because she is strong willed and threw a tantrum, refusing to go with the rest of the family. Not to mention the fact that she was in the habit of being out drinking, on her own, in the local beach bars until three or four in the morning.
It does not take a genius to work out what was behind a tantrum thrown by a fifteen year old girl under those circumstances and I don't think I need paint a picture. The mother insists she was not wrong to leave her daughter in those circumstances. You can make your own mind up on that issue but would anybody here like to admit that they would allow their fifteen year old daughter to do that? .

As for the attention being given to Shannon Mathews' disappearance by the media and the reduced amount of publicity when compared to Madeleine (for the pedants from the past I use her full name) McCann it helps if you have the right connections in high places.

Compare the hysterical reaction of the public, whipped up by the media, in the McCann case. The consensus, in the haste to compare out Police with the Portuguese Police, was that by this time Shannon would have been found, anybody involved in her disappearance arrested, and the girl returned home to her parents.

There were many actions which, we were assured, the Police here would have done automatically. Amongst these were that the area would have been sealed off, all roads surrounding the area sealed off, everybody, including visitors to the area interviewed, all people using airports checked and eliminated and heaven knows what else. Has any of this been done because as far as I can see the whole of that scenario is a complete fantasy.

Do I hear howls of anguish and heartrending moral outrage because some have dared to suggest that members of Shannon's family should be under suspicion? Not a bit, even though, in the past year, we were assured by some that no such thing would happen no matter what the social status of the missing child’s family was.

I think those details answer the original question, yes the social status of the family, and who they have connections to, very much affects how such matters are treated by the Media.
If Shannon is not found then see if there are still blow by blow accounts appearing in the press on a week by week basis. Does anybody thing there will be?
Oh, and is the Government appointing a high level Civil Servant to look after the families interests?

percy toboggan
11-Mar-08, 20:29
I took this from another thread, hope you don't mind. I would like to ask why you have linked the two mothers in this case? One was left to her own devices in a foreign country, the other was returning home from school when she went missing.
How exactly would a sensible & commited father have prevented her from going missing? That is supposing that her step-father is not a good person which I wouldn't really know one way or the other but I am sure we will find out.

I don't mind at all.
I link the two mothers together because , in my opinion both are lacking in judgement. Dangerously so. A sensible and committed father would have no truck with his nine year old daughter coming into close contact with a stream of men who were intimate with her mother.

Plain speaking - the Matthews mother cuts a pitiful figure, but I hope for her sake there is a good outcome to this.

The other one - The Goan victims mother is sharper of mind but more culpable when it comes to derogation of responsibilty. She appears to be one of these 'anything goes' types...all hippy laissez faire indifference to discipline and responsibilty. The kid didn't get what she deserved...looks to me like the mother may have done.

TBH
11-Mar-08, 21:35
I don't mind at all.
I link the two mothers together because , in my opinion both are lacking in judgement. Dangerously so. A sensible and committed father would have no truck with his nine year old daughter coming into close contact with a stream of men who were intimate with her mother.

Plain speaking - the Matthews mother cuts a pitiful figure, but I hope for her sake there is a good outcome to this.

The other one - The Goan victims mother is sharper of mind but more culpable when it comes to derogation of responsibilty. She appears to be one of these 'anything goes' types...all hippy laissez faire indifference to discipline and responsibilty. The kid didn't get what she deserved...looks to me like the mother may have done.I understand where you are coming from as but I see no correlation in the environment Shannon Mathews was brought up and her disappearance.

sam
11-Mar-08, 23:03
I think that Madeleine McCann got to much media attention for all the wrong reasons ( mainly it was about the parents ) and Madeleine got lost in amongst it all, where as Shannon Matthews has still got a lot more media coverage than some kids get, a few month back there was a story on Radio 2 about a 14 year old and a 4 year old who went missing in the early hours from their house yet there has not been one word of mention of them since.
The McCanns fund had over 2 million pound where as shannons fund has just £60,000, what happened to the McCanns pledge that their fund would also be used to help find other missing children? But it was used to help pay their mortgage, fly friends & family to Portugal.
So i would definatly say its a class thing, If Shannon has run away god knows how she will feel to be reunited with her family then find out all the horrible things that are being said in the media that she isnt pretty enough or photogenic enough its disgusting regardless of a childs background or race their life is all worth as much as the next childs.
I hope and pray that they do find her, god only knows what she has been going through.:~(

chaz
11-Mar-08, 23:13
I think that Madeleine McCann got to much media attention for all the wrong reasons ( mainly it was about the parents ) and Madeleine got lost in amongst it all, where as Shannon Matthews has still got a lot more media coverage than some kids get, a few month back there was a story on Radio 2 about a 14 year old and a 4 year old who went missing in the early hours from their house yet there has not been one word of mention of them since.
The McCanns fund had over 2 million pound where as shannons fund has just £60,000, what happened to the McCanns pledge that their fund would also be used to help find other missing children? But it was used to help pay their mortgage, fly friends & family to Portugal.
So i would definatly say its a class thing, If Shannon has run away god knows how she will feel to be reunited with her family then find out all the horrible things that are being said in the media that she isnt pretty enough or photogenic enough its disgusting regardless of a childs background or race their life is all worth as much as the next childs.
I hope and pray that they do find her, god only knows what she has been going through.:~(
I agree , regardless of her background her life is worth as much as the next.
And who are any of us to judge her mother or family life. as has been going on in this post.Regardless of how some people see her mother, she is still a mother!! And as a mother i know it would destroy me if anything happened to one of mine.
I feel there must be some very special people who feel they can kick a family when its down.

balto
11-Mar-08, 23:14
Shannon Mathews 9 years old, missing for 19 days and the media don't seem to care. Contrast that with the Madeleine McCann case and the almost blanket coverage and you wonder why one missing child is afforded all the powers of the media and the other is seemingly forgotten about. Is it as some reporters suggest, a reflection of the social status of the parents?

totally agree with you on this one, it hasnt reaally been in the papers and the news for a few days, yet they have started mentioning maddeline again, which is sad but this little girl is as much loved by her mum as madeline is.

percy toboggan
11-Mar-08, 23:15
I understand where you are coming from as but I see no correlation in the environment Shannon Mathews was brought up and her disappearance.

You could well be right.
That the girl wanted to go and live with her natural father might have nothing to do with domestic chaos and transient pseudo-paternal influences.
The case might fly in the face of statisrics and she may have been abducted by a total stranger.
There may be another reason of course.
We shall see.

bekisman
02-Apr-08, 10:00
Seems that her stepfather Craig Meehan has been arrested and charged, he had indecent images of children on his PC - horrendous.. A bit on this link but it's not been updated yet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7326006.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7326006.stm)

trix
02-Apr-08, 20:15
Seems that her stepfather Craig Meehan has been arrested and charged, he had indecent images of children on his PC - horrendous.. A bit on this link but it's not been updated yet.

im shocked aboot 'at :eek:

hevna seen 'e news or even a newspaper aday yet.....

i watched them on 'e telly one nite, and found them strange. they didna seem upset or worried aboot 'e lascie, they didna even speak aboot her.

why on earth wid anyone let cameras intil their hoose when goin through what can only be described as a livin hell an any mither an faithers worst nitemare?

i ken if it wis anyone i kent they wid be goin through 'e roof wi worry....they certainally widna be entertainin camera men for 'e BBC

mmh, its all very strange [disgust]

karia
02-Apr-08, 22:49
[quote=percy toboggan;356626The kid didn't get what she deserved...looks to me like the mother may have done.[/quote]

That'd be what exactly?:confused

rupert
02-Apr-08, 23:06
When Shannon was found it was quite understandable that she did not return home straightaway because the police would have wanted to interview her about what had happened. That was obviously going to be a difficult job that had to be treated with great sensitivity. But did anyone not think it strange that she still hasn't returned home?

It was quite obvious, to me anyway, that there were serious concerns about letting her back to the family home. Sure enough, stepfather is arrested for possessing indecent images of children, I believe.

Unfortunately, this world is full of people such as him. Did he target Shannon's mother because of her large family? It gets you thinking doesn't it?

MadPict
02-Apr-08, 23:40
Seems that her stepfather Craig Meehan has been arrested and charged, he had indecent images of children on his PC - horrendous.. A bit on this link but it's not been updated yet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7326006.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7326006.stm)

He has not been charged yet.

Facts facts facts...

bekisman
03-Apr-08, 08:54
Fact:

"The stepfather of former missing schoolgirl Shannon Matthews has been charged with 10 counts of possessing indecent images of children. Craig Meehan, 22, of Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, was arrested at the family home on Wednesday and will appear before magistrates on Thursday"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7327680.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7327680.stm)

balto
03-Apr-08, 10:15
makes me wonder what else is going to come out about this case and if her step father will be linked with her disapperance, just seems strange they havent returned her to her home with her mum.

cd1977
03-Apr-08, 10:27
Is anyone really surprised by this development?

From my limited view of them on TV, it seems obvious these people are at best socially inept, at worst........who knows.

Sad, but hardly unexpected.

MadPict
03-Apr-08, 11:38
Fact:

"The stepfather of former missing schoolgirl Shannon Matthews has been charged with 10 counts of possessing indecent images of children. Craig Meehan, 22, of Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, was arrested at the family home on Wednesday and will appear before magistrates on Thursday"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7327680.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7327680.stm)

OK now - but that previous link was to a different report which merely stated he was arrested.

"As a result of this work, police have arrested a 22-year-old man from the Dewsbury Moor area on suspicion of possessing indecent images of children.

"He is currently being questioned at a West Yorkshire Police Station."
Now he has been charged.

A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: "A 22-year-old man has been charged with 10 specimen offences of possession of indecent images of children.

That's a factoid....[lol]

Ash
03-Apr-08, 11:49
yes but if you read what he wrote it said that it hadnt been updated yet

bekisman
03-Apr-08, 12:25
Thanks for that Ash, I noticed Mad Pict also 'forgot' to include my prefix words 'Seems'; prior to my "that her stepfather etc etc" Incidentally this was given as fact on Sky at the time I posted..

But then, some people cannot help being pedantic can they?

MadPict
03-Apr-08, 18:08
I'll get my coat.... :p

Ash
04-Apr-08, 17:12
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1311846,00.html

what on earth has been going on

unicorn
04-Apr-08, 17:54
Early press reports are always hard to follow as they constantly change, But I am sure we will find out in time.

Venture
04-Apr-08, 18:14
Maybe Im totally wrong here but I don't think Shannon was "kidnapped". I think this was all set up by the stepfather to get money. Its an awful thing to say but there is money to be had when a child goes missing through stories in the media, tv etc. The coverage given to the McCann story is evidence of this. Now today we hear that Shannon's stepfather's mother and sister have also been arrested. Their houses were searched weeks ago. Its certainly turning into a family affair remembering that Shannon was found in the said family's uncle's house.

percy toboggan
04-Apr-08, 18:20
The kid is safe...I get no pleasure, and take less interest in the trials and tribulations of the rest of this motley crew...all inadequate and prime examples of a growing white British underclass, written off as irrelevant and inconvenient by politicians, media...and probably you and I.

dandod
04-Apr-08, 18:22
Maybe Im totally wrong here but I don't think Shannon was "kidnapped". I think this was all set up by the stepfather to get money. Its an awful thing to say but there is money to be had when a child goes missing through stories in the media, tv etc. The coverage given to the McCann story is evidence of this. Now today we hear that Shannon's stepfather's mother and sister have also been arrested. Their houses were searched weeks ago. Its certainly turning into a family affair remembering that Shannon was found in the said family's uncle's house.

thats a very interesting theory would not be surprised it it turns out to be true.

badger
04-Apr-08, 18:28
The kid is safe...I get no pleasure, and take less interest in the trials and tribulations of the rest of this motley crew...all inadequate and prime examples of a growing white British underclass, written off as irrelevant and inconvenient by politicians, media...and probably you and I.

Depends what you mean by safe. Certainly she's alive and protected in police care. Will she ever be reunited with her siblings? Will they be allowed to remain with their mother? My guess is at the very least she's going to be emotionally damaged by all this.

percy toboggan
04-Apr-08, 18:31
Depends what you mean by safe. Certainly she's alive and protected in police care. Will she ever be reunited with her siblings? Will they be allowed to remain with their mother? My guess is at the very least she's going to be emotionally damaged by all this.

We are all emotionally 'damaged' to a greater or lesser degree....the more durable amongst us get over it. The rest have to soldier on regardless. I wish the young lass well but if she wants to remain a 'victim' all her life, she will be.

domino
06-Apr-08, 00:04
I just feel that there is something very strange going on with this family. My heart goes ouy for the children

JAWS
06-Apr-08, 01:46
Fact - Nobody has the slightest clue as to what the "Facts" are concerning how the situation came about at this stage! :roll:

bekisman
07-Apr-08, 08:05
It gets worse

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7333898.stm

Ash
07-Apr-08, 08:16
awful!

when it first came about my mum said she felt something wasnt right, this is horrible, that poor wee girl

Venture
07-Apr-08, 10:05
awful!

when it first came about my mum said she felt something wasnt right, this is horrible, that poor wee girl

There's more than the poor wee girl to consider here. Lets not forget that there are other children. Their stepfather is in custody and their mother has been arrested this morning. I can now see social services stepping in and removing the remaining children into care as well.

Ash
07-Apr-08, 10:08
There's more than the poor wee girl to consider here. Lets not forget that there are other children. Their stepfather is in custody and their mother has been arrested this morning. I can now see social services stepping in and removing the remaining children into care as well.

i understand that but they werent trapped under a bed for 24 days or less

trix
07-Apr-08, 10:10
for 'e best in ma opinion. maybe 'at bairns will hev better chance in life...

all 'e ither bairns were awie fie their mither, livin wi their faithers....:confused

Venture
07-Apr-08, 10:13
i understand that but they werent trapped under a bed for 24 days or less

Nobody knows for certain what happened to Shannon while she was supposedly "kidnapped". The truth will hopefully come out in court.

Ash
07-Apr-08, 10:13
Nobody knows for certain what happened to Shannon while she was supposedly "kidnapped". The truth will hopefully come out in court.

end of the day she was still found trapped in the bed thats enough for me

trix
07-Apr-08, 10:23
end of the day she was still found trapped in the bed thats enough for me

i da think 'e lassie wis 'trapped' in 'e beid tho ash...'hidden' in 'e beid wis 'e term 'e media used.

i took fie this that when they heard 'e police comin in they 'hide' in 'e beid. i da think for one menid that 'e lassie wis trapped in 'e beid.

apparently 'e lassie wis alright when she came oot 'e hoose....smiling surprisingly...:confused

dandod
07-Apr-08, 13:53
if the mother knew all along she deserves to spend the rest of her life in prison.all of the children should be rehomed or live with their fathers.all the man hours,resources,and tax payers money that went into searching for a child who her mother most likely knew where she was all along,those resouces could ahve been better used.and who has to pay for it?? mugs like you and me the taxpayers.disgisting they should all rot in jail for what they have done to that poor child.

badger
07-Apr-08, 16:03
Interesting how the reactions of people have changed to this case over the weeks. All that indignation at the beginning because it was thought she was not getting enough coverage due to family circumstances. I said I thought 7 children by 5 fathers was "a big deal" and continued to think that no mother who truly loves her children would give them that kind of insecurity. Now it's beginning to look as if many members of this disfunctional "family" were involved. But why? What was all it for? Did they hope to make money out of it somehow?

At the same time Madeleine's parents appear to have been cleared of involvement but they will continue to suffer suspicion either until she is found, or for ever if not, and their other children will also suffer when they get older.

All the children in these cases will suffer from the neglect of their parents but at least Maddy's twin siblings have a secure home and loving extended family. What hope for the others?

balto
07-Apr-08, 17:25
just heard on the news that shannons mother has now been arrsted on suspition of preventing the course of justice, can this case get anymore confusing.

unicorn
07-Apr-08, 17:54
That charge could be as simple as trying to wipe the hard drive of her partners pc. It doesn't necessarily tie her in with her daughters disappearance.

balto
07-Apr-08, 18:17
no according to the report the police reckon she knew more about her daughters where abouts than what she was letting on.

trix
07-Apr-08, 18:21
That charge could be as simple as trying to wipe the hard drive of her partners pc. It doesn't necessarily tie her in with her daughters disappearance.

but surly if she found child porn on her partners pc she should o' reported it til 'e police....given 'e circumstances....[disgust]

an especially because 'at crime in particular is horrific

unicorn
07-Apr-08, 18:24
I absolutely agree and never said otherwise, just pointing out that it could be many things.

balto
07-Apr-08, 18:24
but surly if she found child porn on her partners pc she should o' reported it til 'e police....given 'e circumstances....[disgust]

an especially because 'at crime in particular is horrific
totally agree with this, i am sorry but if she knew he had theses sick pictures on the computer, in my eyes that makes her a guilty as him.

unicorn
07-Apr-08, 18:28
I am not saying that is the case but pointing out that it is a possible reason, I know no more than anyone else.

DeHaviLand
07-Apr-08, 21:13

We cant be expected to wait that long!! We have to make up the truth now:roll::D

TBH
07-Apr-08, 21:25
That charge could be as simple as trying to wipe the hard drive of her partners pc. It doesn't necessarily tie her in with her daughters disappearance.Pure speculation.

I absolutely agree and never said otherwise, just pointing out that it could be many things.It could be many things so what is the point on making up scenarios ?

but surly if she found child porn on her partners pc she should o' reported it til 'e police....given 'e circumstances....[disgust] an especially because 'at crime in particular is horrific

totally agree with this, i am sorry but if she knew he had theses sick pictures on the computer, in my eyes that makes her a guilty as him.It's not been revealed what she was arrested for.

I am not saying that is the case but pointing out that it is a possible reason, I know no more than anyone else.So don't make things up then.

trix
07-Apr-08, 23:15
tbh...

wur only speakin aboot it...of course we da ken fit happened, nobody dis....

all wur doin is lookin 'at 'e facts an wonderin what hes happened....

we are allowed til speak aboot'id...

TBH
07-Apr-08, 23:33
tbh...

wur only speakin aboot it...of course we da ken fit happened, nobody dis....

all wur doin is lookin 'at 'e facts an wonderin what hes happened....

we are allowed til speak aboot'id...You can discuss whatever you like Trix, that is your right. As for looking at facts, what facts has Unicorn provided for you to look at other than speculation?

trix
07-Apr-08, 23:39
i guess speculation can come wi discussion, especially in a case as puzzlin 'as 'iss aine....

were choost considerin 'e 'ifs' and 'buts'....

no harm done eh?

TBH
07-Apr-08, 23:43
i guess speculation can come wi discussion, especially in a case as puzzlin 'as 'iss aine....

were choost considerin 'e 'ifs' and 'buts'....

no harm done eh?No harm done whatsoever but some facts would be nice.

Venture
07-Apr-08, 23:45
no according to the report the police reckon she knew more about her daughters where abouts than what she was letting on.

I dont know how you came to that conclusion. The report states the following:

Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice can cover a wide range of actions but one suggestion is that when Shannon first disappeared, Ms Matthews might have known more about her daughter's whereabouts than she told police. Detectives however, are not confirming if this is the case.

Its only a suggestion and dosen't even say who made it.

trix
07-Apr-08, 23:56
aye, it wid be...until then ye will get people discussin possibilities.

this is called public opinion....

im ma opinion, i think 'e whole thing wis a scam....i think 'e mither wis probly duped intil 'e whole kidnappin thing. i da think she's 'at bright, neither is her partner come til think aboot it...

whether she wis in on 'e child porn...i really widna lek til say.

choost ma opinion....:cool:

Venture
08-Apr-08, 00:12
Posted last week:

Great minds think alike Trix;)

TBH
08-Apr-08, 00:13
aye, it wid be...until then ye will get people discussin possibilities.

this is called public opinion....

im ma opinion, i think 'e whole thing wis a scam....i think 'e mither wis probly duped intil 'e whole kidnappin thing. i da think she's 'at bright, neither is her partner come til think aboot it...

whether she wis in on 'e child porn...i really widna lek til say.

choost ma opinion....:cool:What good is public opinion if it deals only with the products of their own vivid Imaginations?

Venture
08-Apr-08, 00:30
What good is public opinion if it deals only with the products of their own vivid Imaginations?

Don't ask the public for their opinion on your new avatar TBH. As Trix would say " at auld gurnin po faced mannie ye hed afore, suited ye better."[lol]

TBH
08-Apr-08, 00:46
Don't ask the public for their opinion on your new avatar TBH. As Trix would say " at auld gurnin po faced mannie ye hed afore, suited ye better."[lol]Thurs nuthin' wrong wi' ma avatar, it suits ma reserved nature.[lol]

Venture
08-Apr-08, 00:49
Thurs nuthin' wrong wi' ma avatar, it suits ma reserved nature.[lol]

......and cute with it....ah you're all teeth Donny[lol]

TBH
08-Apr-08, 00:59
......and cute with it....ah you're all teeth Donny[lol]Thur no real Venture, I paid good money to have them done. Shhhhh.;)

balto
08-Apr-08, 07:40
I dont know how you came to that conclusion. The report states the following:

Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice can cover a wide range of actions but one suggestion is that when Shannon first disappeared, Ms Matthews might have known more about her daughter's whereabouts than she told police. Detectives however, are not confirming if this is the case.

Its only a suggestion and dosen't even say who made it.it stated on the news last nigth that she knew more about her daughter dissaperance than what she let on, my god listen to the news.

trix
08-Apr-08, 16:04
aaah....so finally we have some facts.....

'e lascies mither did ken far she wis, fie day one. its wis indeed all a ploy til get their mucky han's on some cash....

she's admitted that the 'abduction' was indeed faked....:roll:

wonder if she kent her man wis intil 'e child porn??

TBH
08-Apr-08, 20:12
aaah....so finally we have some facts.....
Great things to work with;)

Venture
09-Apr-08, 10:09
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1312244,00.html

We now know that Shannon's mother has been charged with neglect and perverting the course of justice in connection with the child's disappearance. I don't for one moment think that she masterminded this on her own. The full story may shock us even more. What lies ahead now for all these poor children?

Sapphire2803
09-Apr-08, 16:11
I don't have all the facts, but from what I've seen/heard, Shannon could do a lot worse than go and live with her real Dad, that was what she wanted to start with wasn't it?
I think her Mum etc are a great example of the new class in our society, they would call themselves working class, I would call the DSS class. They don't want to work and sit around trying to find new ways to scrounge money. Normal people see the McCanns and think, I hope they find their daughter, Oh look there's a fund, I'll contribute to that, every penny helps. People like Shannon's mum look at them and think, Ooh, aren't they lucky and look at all the money they're being sent! How can we get some of that?
I've had the misfortune to meet people like that over the years, people who see something they want, can't afford it, so they go for a crisis loan from the DSS claiming that their purse has been stolen or something similar and then they complain when they're paying it back. In general, people like that have all mod cons in their home, the latest tv etc while people who work or are on benefits for genuine reasons don't have all these things, because they understand the concept of living beyond your means.
They should be able to cut people like that off benefits for life, it would be a just punishment for them to have to work. Mind you, they wouldn't, they'd be off to find a human rights lawyer and on telly every morning.
Ok, I'm stopping now, because if I get on to the child porn aspect of this, I'll be here all day! [evil]

YummyMummy
09-Apr-08, 16:51
It’s very interesting that this post was started off by the poor media coverage for Shannon. I thought at the start it was all a bit odd, and suspected the police knew that Shannon was alive. The media are more skilled than we think. There would have been an agreement put in place at the start between the police and media – happens all the time.

Thank God Shannon is safe. Looks like she’ll be in the care of the local authority for some time. Very telling that she only saw her mum once when she was found. If that was you or I, we’d be reunited there and then.

There’s a bitter taste to all of this. An adult carer in the house that collects images of children being sexually abused, a mother charged with neglect and extended family charged with abduction and perverting the course of justice. Here’s hoping the authorities intervene and ensure the safety and well-being of all the children.

trix
09-Apr-08, 16:56
facts....

Great things to work with;)

indeed tbh...tho i find them rether restrictin....

i do lek a bit o' speculation....s'guid for 'e imagination :lol:

porshiepoo
09-Apr-08, 17:30
I'm jumping in on this thread without having read the other replies - sorry!

I told my OH way back when this began that I knew the stepdad had something to do with it and that the mum probably did too.
She just looked so darned guilty all the time and the stepdad trying to look so loving and worried every time the camera was on him was a dead give away.
Shannons mum even made the statement that she thought someone had took her child to get back at her, what a strange thing to say!

I too think there was a monetary reason behind the whole thing.

percy toboggan
09-Apr-08, 19:19
It's my guess that this whole thing could have started out relatively innocently and snowballed out of control very quickly....maybe within hours or minutes of the child not turning up on time. The subsequent unfolding of events and the hue and cry could overwhelm simple folk I don't think either the mother or the stepfather are intelligent enough to plan a wheeze of this nature...although they are plainly thick enough to think they might get away with it.

Pure conjecture of course but my two penneth...it's not worth much more.

bekisman
09-Apr-08, 20:44
Bet you're not too far off the truth Percy, say the kids missing, start a fund and the cash will pour in..