PDA

View Full Version : Batten down the hatches

Ricco
09-Mar-08, 11:25
I look out my window and see blue sky and fluffy white clouds (sic. Lush product) - all al complete misleading lie intended to lull me into a sense of false security about the wrath that is to come. I hope you all remember to get the kites in off the line and tie down anything that is likely to become airborne over the next 36 hours. Good luck to you all, I will remember you! ;)

golach
09-Mar-08, 11:40
I look out my window and see blue sky and fluffy white clouds (sic. Lush product) - all al complete misleading lie intended to lull me into a sense of false security about the wrath that is to come. I hope you all remember to get the kites in off the line and tie down anything that is likely to become airborne over the next 36 hours. Good luck to you all, I will remember you! ;)
Ricco, likewise in Auld Reekie, beautiful warm sunshine all is calm, but I trust our Org weather Lassie Tuggs, and have secured the wheely bins:confused

Kevin Milkins
09-Mar-08, 12:03
I was just about to set off and have a look at the Ben Alisky settlements as discussed on another thread by metalattakk. I think we may leave that for another day if the weather is going to turn bad.

candyfloss
09-Mar-08, 12:17
Are we getting it too :eek: i thought i was only down south, we better get the kids trampoline tied down then :eek:

rob16d
09-Mar-08, 12:23
Oi oi! The weather here is fine, dunno what all the worry was about!

chaz
09-Mar-08, 12:32
It was lovely here this morning,wind has got up quite a bit( know when the washing flys down the hill:( )

Tighsonas4
09-Mar-08, 12:48
OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNING
its lovely here this morning tides are really high and should flow for a wee while yet tony

bekisman
09-Mar-08, 12:56
Don't want to bore anyone but click on this http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/wind/in/ (http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/wind/in/) and you can watch the big red Force 10+ getting ready to batter Cornwall (we - up here - look like we'll be fine, for a change)

rob16d
09-Mar-08, 13:08
Bekismam thats a nifty wee site!

karia
09-Mar-08, 14:38
Bekismam thats a nifty wee site!

Oops! One letter and a whole change of gender for Bekisman. ;)

I wonder if he came over all dizzy?!:lol:

bekisman
09-Mar-08, 14:56
Bekisman(mam) no problem.. I think I initially got the site from tugmistress

rob16d
09-Mar-08, 16:04
ah ok cool...sorry!

Tugmistress
09-Mar-08, 16:42
nothing to worry about up here for a change, just a good old stiff caithness breeze, maybe gusting 45mph if that.

ricco, been nice knowing ya, hold onto whatever you can i want to see you still here after tomorrow lol

golach
09-Mar-08, 16:45
nothing to worry about up here for a change, just a good old stiff caithness breeze, maybe gusting 45mph if that.
Watch out tugs, a famous weather reporter once said, "There will be no Hurricane tonight" [lol]

bekisman
09-Mar-08, 19:49
It's all relative I suppose, but seeing the BBC headlines; 'Government Emergency committee prepares for storm!' 'experts warn may be the worst storm of the winter!' .. 'storm warnings for south and west Britain!' .. 'The Met Office has issued severe weather warnings!' .. 'Emergency planning teams are meeting!' .. 'a "severe" event!'..

Then it's; "winds up to 80 mph"

Hmm, might be big stuff down there, but did we not have a wee blow of 90 mph last month? and in November 2007 we had another 90 mph, then a 100 mph storm that lashed us in November 2005 with the Western Isles having gusts of 124 mph recorded on North Rona, while winds reached 105 mph on Barra.? And then in January 2002 the country was battered by hurricane-force winds gusting as strong as 120 miles per hour?

Tugmistress will know what winds we've had, but suppose 'familiarity breeds contempt'..

Even so it will be a worrying time down there...

rupert
09-Mar-08, 21:51
I think the worry for further south and west is the very strong winds that are coming combined with a very high spring tide. On Channel 4 news this evening the guy from the Environment agency was talking about the severest storm since 1981 and the possibility of a surge of water in the likes of the Bristol Channel and English Channel. Even if it is exagerated - better safe than sorry. Remember what happened in 1953 (?) down the east coast where people were drowned in their beds.

bobandag16
09-Mar-08, 21:52

ricco, been nice knowing ya, hold onto whatever you can i want to see you still here after tomorrow lol
caithness is famous for its own weather. its wee breeze was renowned .we came in 1960. visitors from all over the world. could only be amazed . it pleases its self. keep up the good work . let us know in good time so i do have to go to play school.:D

bonami
09-Mar-08, 21:59
Just a bit of March S Easter wont last long.

Seabird
09-Mar-08, 22:12
High Water at Wick is 12.57 3.7m.
With a good stiff blow from the sea should provide some interesting photography in the Harbour area.
Harbour car parking at lunch time Monday might be risky.
It is also possible that water from the Harbour may splash onto the Harbour Bridge Road.
Should be an interesting day.

Ricco
10-Mar-08, 21:59
Well, after a day of hovering at 10,000 ft on the end of a string things have quietened down somewhat. Look like you might be getting some of it tomorrow, Tuggs. Hang onto yer breeks!

JAWS
11-Mar-08, 00:43
Down south if a flag flutters twice in five minutes they panic. And the year they had That Hurricane you had worse weather up here and with more damage but that unsurprisingly hardly rated a mention on the National News.