PDA

View Full Version : House training puppies

justine
08-Mar-08, 22:52
Well we have tank and he is now 16 weeks old, goes outside in the garden, no problem, but if he needs a wee and cant get out he goes in the hall..:(.Have tried puppy pads, but he just scatters them about..He is confined to the kitchen, with access to the garden after his feed, but still prefers to go in the hall..Any advise would help...Tried everything..

Although today have cleaned all the carpets and have bought two of the carpet clear plastic protecters, so now if he does pee it can easily be mopped up......

Help or i am gonna block his bits,,,only kidding....:)

carasmam
09-Mar-08, 01:04
Seems as though you will just have to pre-empt his piddling and try letting him out more frequently, they only have little bladders at that age and if he's anything like me the cold weather will not be helping :roll::lol:

justine
09-Mar-08, 01:48
i hope your not telling me you pee on the hall carpet aswell:eek:
No seriously we take him into the garden often enough, take him on long walks and he will go, but if it is cold, wet, windy or anything under 30 degrees he refuses to piddle....I just took him and bingo out for their last look, and he just sat at the back step looking up..No matter what i try he wont go do it....Brought him back in after 20 mins, and left him in the kitchen, where 5 mins later he pooped.

Thought of a doggy nappy, but he would look so daft.................

Lolabelle
09-Mar-08, 09:54
I used to just grab them, even mid wee or poo and run them outside, eventually mine wanted to go out rather than being bundled out. Now they whine at the door when they need to go out. But they aren't keen to go out in winter.

carasmam
09-Mar-08, 11:27
i hope your not telling me you pee on the hall carpet aswell

No, we've got laminate :lol:
As Lolabelle says bundling him out mid pee/poop is a good idea, he will choose the warmer option if he gets away with it too often.

brandy
09-Mar-08, 12:01
we put bubbles out every hour on the hour when she was wee.. also will need to put something over the area they used to cover the scent.. bleach water to mop it up if you can and then spray it with fabreeze or something. so that they cant smell their pee/poop smell. if they can smell it they think its ok to use that as the potty.

porshiepoo
09-Mar-08, 12:47
All you can do is take the pup out constantly. I know you've said that you do it already but it really is perseverance. You'll have to take her out on the lead probably too, even if it's just the back yard, and encourage her to sniff about - always seems to work. When she's peeing praise her just enough to keep her doing it but not so much that she gets excited, stops and starts jumping about. lol.
Until she's completely trained you may want to try to restrict her access around the house, there's nothing worse that walking into pee that you didn't know was there :eek: plus it knackers the hoover.l ol.
I actually managed to teach my show Dane to pee on command this way.
At night I always crate my pups till they're trained and I have to say, for mine, it's worked 100% of the time in a quarter of the time. Dogs will not generally pee where they sleep.
Before I used a crate I used to sleep with a lead attached to my arm so that if the dog moved I'd wake up and know it needed to go out. :eek: May seem drastic but it helped to teach the pup what to do and helped me to learn the pups needs and routine.

Having said all that, we have a Shih Tzu that we re homed and she's still not completely house trained. She still has the odd accident despite her having as much access as she needs to outside, but I know the problem is us not being ready for her.

Good Luck with this. Be consistent and hopefully you'll break it real soon.

justine
09-Mar-08, 13:15
cheers guys, i have read about staffies being hard to train and tank is no exception to that rule.I dont normally ave a problem but he is just pushing his luck......He spent the first 4 weeks here peeing in his bed when he was sleeping, he has just got control of his baldder...My carpets are all cleaned sprayed, and lluckily the kitchen floor is tiled...If he is in the kitchen and the back door is open he will relieve himself outside no problem, but he will pee in the hall if he is playing inside..I would have to be runnig after him every minute of the day...But hey, its no harder then potty training kids and i can do that no problem....But i just cant get tank to go on the potty......:eek:

Racoon
09-Mar-08, 14:19
I agree with the tactics the Lolabelle, Brandy and Porshipoo have suggested along with lots of patience and love and Tank will soon get the message, the better weather is on it`s way and that will make life much easier.
All the best with the training
Racoon

Phoenix200416
14-Mar-08, 13:08
I have read about staffies being hard to train and tank is no exception to that rule.I dont normally ave a problem but he is just pushing his luck......

Welcome to my world Justine :lol: Definately not the easiest to train especially and push their luck to the extremes!

justine
14-Mar-08, 13:16
Welcome to my world Justine :lol: Definately not the easiest to train especially and push their luck to the extremes!

we seem to be getting somewhere....We put down some of the platsic carpet shields, so if he did go inside it would be easy to mop up..He does not like going on there so if he cant get into the garden he now goes in the kitchen, which is tiled, but he has spent more time in the garden, so hopefully he isgetting the message, but he still pushes his luck, but thats pups...he should grow out of it soon...

binbob
14-Mar-08, 13:37
we seem to be getting somewhere....We put down some of the platsic carpet shields, so if he did go inside it would be easy to mop up..He does not like going on there so if he cant get into the garden he now goes in the kitchen, which is tiled, but he has spent more time in the garden, so hopefully he isgetting the message, but he still pushes his luck, but thats pups...he should grow out of it soon...

pampers....

jac1791
18-Mar-08, 20:16
we have 2 boxers both 17weeks on thursday brother and sister they are half trained they go out when the doors openbut when the doors closed they will do the toilet where they feel like it

justine
19-Mar-08, 16:20
we have 2 boxers both 17weeks on thursday brother and sister they are half trained they go out when the doors openbut when the doors closed they will do the toilet where they feel like it

Yep that sounds like tank...he is now 17 1/2 weeks old and he loves being outside, but if he finds it too cold he will wait to do it inside...We are finding it easy now with the carpet protected and easier to clean,...He was starting to go out but then the cold weather came back.....We had a boxer in england, who unfortunately we had to rehome when we moved here, he was 14 mths old before we saw a difference in him.....He would still poo if he could in the kitchen , but he would urinate outside...I love boxers and miss my Brock terribly....