PDA

View Full Version : Tesco's alcohol policy

tm1985
08-Mar-08, 19:40
My partner and I went shopping today at tesco, we had some bottles of alcohol in our trolly and i was very shocked to hear about there new pollacy on buying alcohol. I was asked for I.D innocently i had not taken my handbag with me, my partner did have his driving licence on him - but were still told we were not able to purchase the alcohol. My partner is 25 years old as stated on his driving licence which he had with him at the time, i am 23 years old. i was wondering if anyone else has incurred these problems and to what limit as my daughter is not 18 years old and i am not sure if i can purchase alcohol when I take her shopping with me.

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 19:42
That is ridiculous!!! Even thoug he had ID?!?!?! Jeez, Tesco suck big style!

karia
08-Mar-08, 19:44
That doesn't sound at all right to me.

I know some supermarkets are checking ages but at 23 & 25 I can see no legal reason to prevent you buying alcohol even if you had newborn sextuplets with you.

teddybear1873
08-Mar-08, 19:45
My partner and I went shopping today at tesco, we had some bottles of alcohol in our trolly and i was very shocked to hear about there new pollacy on buying alcohol. I was asked for I.D innocently i had not taken my handbag with me, my partner did have his driving licence on him - but were still told we were not able to purchase the alcohol. My partner is 25 years old as stated on his driving licence which he had with him at the time, i am 23 years old. i was wondering if anyone else has incurred these problems and to what limit as my daughter is not 18 years old and i am not sure if i can purchase alcohol when I take her shopping with me.

Think if you look younger than the age of 25 they have a right to ask but i cant understand why they didnt give it to you as your partner had ample proof. If you had the proof on you they would have given it to you.......i think!!!!

grumpyhippo
08-Mar-08, 19:49
My partner is 25 years old as stated on his driving licence which he had with him at the time,

I'm baffled, why did they refuse him, I can understand a checkout assistant asking for proof of age, but when you give it and confirm you're over 18 what's the problem.

ciderally
08-Mar-08, 19:56
when i was home last september..we were having a fun day at one of the familys....my nephew poped into tescos for a few bits and thought he would get a case of beer...now he is a taxi driver in wick so a responsible chap ...he had with him a 10 year old and my son at 18..and was refused point blank the drink ...the manager told him that the woman on the counter thought that he was getting it for kids...now my nephew argued the point that he could loose his licence if he was to do that ect ect...but they wouldent have it....he said he could understand if he looked iffy but they do know him ...but apart from that it was the rudeness of the manager and staff
wonder who else ....i would phone head office...

Valerie Campbell
08-Mar-08, 20:02

As long as your partner was paying, there should have been no problem anyway as he had id! Tesco have taken this too far IMO. Next time you go, pay by credit card. That's proof enough that you're over 18, the legal age for buying alcohol. I seem to remember on That's Life A Job's Worth trophy. Looks like Tesco may have just won theirs!!

justine
08-Mar-08, 21:04
As long as your partner was paying, there should have been no problem anyway as he had id! Tesco have taken this too far IMO. Next time you go, pay by credit card. That's proof enough that you're over 18, the legal age for buying alcohol. I seem to remember on That's Life A Job's Worth trophy. Looks like Tesco may have just won theirs!!

What ever happened to the words "The customer is always right"

Macwull
08-Mar-08, 21:34
i am a checkout operator in TESCO and their policy is THINK 21 if they do not think you look 21 they WILL ask for ID if you do not produce it they cannot sell the alcohol this policy is in all other supermarkets and personally i think it is very efective.

we are also trained that if you think someone is buying drink for an under ager then you can refuse to sell that product.

alot of the staff in TESCO are older ladies and they often ask for ID because they genuinely think you may be under age.

you have to remember that the seller (checkout operator) can be fined for selling to someone who is not of age and i would rather ask than be prosecuted.

please give us poor TESCO workers a break and remember we are only carrying out what we have been trained to do and not doing this can lead to our dissmisal!!!!!

at the end of the day if you are over 18 why does it matter??

changilass
08-Mar-08, 21:41
It seems Tesco are damned if they do and damned if they don't

Buttercup
08-Mar-08, 21:49
i am a checkout operator in TESCO and their policy is THINK 21 if they do not think you look 21 they WILL ask for ID if you do not produce it they cannot sell the alcohol this policy is in all other supermarkets and personally i think it is very efective.

we are also trained that if you think someone is buying drink for an under ager then you can refuse to sell that product.

alot of the staff in TESCO are older ladies and they often ask for ID because they genuinely think you may be under age.

you have to remember that the seller (checkout operator) can be fined for selling to someone who is not of age and i would rather ask than be prosecuted.

please give us poor TESCO workers a break and remember we are only carrying out what we have been trained to do and not doing this can lead to our dissmisal!!!!!

Well said Macwull, many never see things from the other side of the counter. Come on folks give the poor shop assistant a break, they're only doing their job ~ it's their bosses that make the rules.

Many shops will accept nothing but photo ID with the "PASS" logo, so having a credit card will make no difference.

dogman
08-Mar-08, 21:55
same happened to me tonight. i was tryin to buy beers, was asked for id which i produced. my girlfriend had no id with her. at first it was ok then the guy changed his mind. however last nite we bought a bottle of wine, had 2 children with us aged 5 and 9 and there was no problem.

dandod
08-Mar-08, 22:53
the reason most shops now do this is because of the problem with binge drinking and underage drinking.i think we all know the government are under pressure to crack down on this.most places now operate a think 21 policy where they will challenge anyone which looks under 21 for ID.

anyone who has done bar or retail work can give you examples of parents or adults who are quite happy to buy alcohol for the underagers with them.it may be the case that they are a couple of months off 18 and related to them and think whats the harm but they are commiting a criminal offence.although the shop or bar where it happens are not breaking the law they do feel responsible if it happens on their premises and possibly left with a bad reputation.

most places will ask whoever you are with for ID within reason.this stops groups of underage teenagers getting alcohol if one of them is 18 and passing it onto their underage friends.

seems to me whats happened is the checkout operator genuinly thought both of you were underage.and challenged you for ID.but as only one of you could produce ID, the sale of alcohol was refused.

although the alcohol was probably intended for yourself and partner the checkout operator thinks one of you may still be under 21.and as you could not produce ID refused the sale as they did not want to assist you in commiting a criminal offence.

although the checkout operator was wrong in this case,how many underage teens has the checkout operator stopped getting their hands on alcohol today i wonder?

balto
08-Mar-08, 22:59
My partner and I went shopping today at tesco, we had some bottles of alcohol in our trolly and i was very shocked to hear about there new pollacy on buying alcohol. I was asked for I.D innocently i had not taken my handbag with me, my partner did have his driving licence on him - but were still told we were not able to purchase the alcohol. My partner is 25 years old as stated on his driving licence which he had with him at the time, i am 23 years old. i was wondering if anyone else has incurred these problems and to what limit as my daughter is not 18 years old and i am not sure if i can purchase alcohol when I take her shopping with me.Now that would be a complement if you were in your 40's instead of your twentys.[lol][lol]

Julia
08-Mar-08, 23:04

MacWull has hit the nail on the head, it's really down to the individual who is selling the alcohol, they have to decide whether the buyer is over 18, it's getting harder lately to tell folks ages and I suppose it is best to err on the side of caution if indeed the wrong decision may cost you your job!

dogman
09-Mar-08, 00:04
went to bin ends instead got more for cheaper. yeehaaaah!!!!!!!

Macwull
09-Mar-08, 00:15
I went to bin ends 2 weeks ago and got a cheap deal!!

When i got it home i realised the 20 bottles of beer were out of date 2 days later!!!!

karia
09-Mar-08, 00:20
I went to bin ends 2 weeks ago and got a cheap deal!!

When i got it home i realised the 20 bottles of beer were out of date 2 days later!!!!

'The lost weekend' happened like that!;)

dogman
09-Mar-08, 00:59
my beers dated for 24th march. best get drinikin!

tm1985
09-Mar-08, 18:02
Originally Posted by Macwull http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=354802#post354802)
"i am a checkout operator in TESCO and their policy is THINK 21 if they do not think you look 21 they WILL ask for ID if you do not produce it they cannot sell the alcohol this policy is in all other supermarkets and personally i think it is very efective.

please give us poor TESCO workers a break and remember we are only carrying out what we have been trained to do and not doing this can lead to our dissmisal!!!!!"

As I used to work in a pub, i am very aware of the penalties of selling alchol to underage indvidules.

I was not meaning to, in any way blame the staff checkout operators, this is why the title of my message was named TESCO'S new alcohol policy and did not mention any stafff in my thread what so ever.

"you have to remember that the seller (checkout operator) can be fined for selling to someone who is not of age and i would rather ask than be prosecuted."

The purchaser (my partner) had his I.D with him, it was him that payed for the rest of the shopping??? just dont see what was wrong about this even if i was underage.

mums angels
09-Mar-08, 18:10
Last year i was asked for ID for trying to buy a whisky minuture and hip flask , i was with a friend and my 2 year old son and had no ID and as much as i'd like to say i look younger than i am ..i don't i was 25 but was quite put out as she wasn't going to sell it to me ..i thought she was taking the mick and caused a bit of a fuss ..poor woman changed her mind and sold it to me , think i must have scared her LOL at the end of the day they can lose their job if seeling to underages so can't really blame them for been careful . Does seem daft if after ID has been produced they still wont sell it .

lasher
09-Mar-08, 18:19
The purchaser (my partner) had his I.D with him, it was him that payed for the rest of the shopping??? just dont see what was wrong about this even if i was underage.

What you should of of done is just walked out leaving all the shopping at the checkout, this is ridiculus!

Tony
09-Mar-08, 18:24
Macwull[/B] http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=354802#post354802)
"i am a checkout operator in TESCO and their policy is THINK 21 if they do not think you look 21 they WILL ask for ID if you do not produce it they cannot sell the alcohol this policy is in all other supermarkets and personally i think it is very efective.]

Is it 18 or 21 to sell alcohol at Tesco?
As stated the guy produced the required I.D with the use of a driving licence although unsure if this contained a photo.
If it was me at the checkout and I produced the required I.D and still refused I would probably just leave all the shopping also and walked.
So basically if you want to avoid problems at the checkout at Tesco buy alcohol elsewhere.

lasher
09-Mar-08, 18:26
[QUOTEOriginally Posted by Macwull http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=354802#post354802)
"i am a checkout operator in TESCO and their policy is THINK 21 if they do not think you look 21 they WILL ask for ID if you do not produce it they cannot sell the alcohol this policy is in all other supermarkets and personally i think it is very efective.]

Is it 18 or 21 to sell alcohol at Tesco?
As stated the guy produced the required I.D with the use of a driving licence although unsure if this contained a photo.
If it was me at the checkout and I produced the required I.D and still refused I would probably just leave all the shopping also and walked.
So basically if you want to avoid problems at the checkout at Tesco buy alcohol elsewhere.
Depends if it a new style license in which case it does have a photo. I think they sell to 18 year olds but ask for ID if you look under 21.

Buttercup
09-Mar-08, 18:45
What you should of of done is just walked out leaving all the shopping at the checkout, this is ridiculus!

It's illegal to sell alcohol to someone - even if they are of age/have proof - if you (the checkout operator) think the person buying it is going to supply it to someone who is underage. So if the assistant thought tm1985's partner was going to share it with her (who looked under 21 and had no ID) they (the checkout operator) were only keeping herself/himself in the clear.

Max
09-Mar-08, 19:18
I think Skinandis should take a leaf out of Tescos book!!

I wish Tesco would ask me for proof of age (ok I'm in my 40's - but it would make me feel good!)

_Ju_
09-Mar-08, 21:32
Last year I was in a supermarket here in Wick. It was a Friday or saturday around 18:00. I saw two girls that could not be a day more than 13, even with the high heels and make-up, walking around each acrrying a bottle of what looked like apple sourz. It struck me as strange and I kept a distant eye on them. They went up to this mankish guy wearing a baseball hat, with longingish hair and around 30 years of age ( I think), had a conversation with him, passed him the bottles and cash. Did I report what I saw???? Bet I did. And I do hope they did stop him from making the purchase, but they probably didn't.

I know it doesn't help those that are legally entitled to buy alcohol. But sometimes erring on the side of caution is preferable.

grumpy1
12-Mar-08, 00:40
may i add in defence of the checkout operators they not only lose their jobs but probably end up with a fine of upto £5000 AND a criminal record.. when push comes to shove it really aint worth the hassle...i work for tesco and i wouldn't think twice... it may pay well but not that well that i could afford that to save someone else's embarrassment...sorry

chaz
12-Mar-08, 22:48
Today in tescos my daughter was scanning the shopping which as far as i was aware contained nothing she wasnt allowed to buy, next i was asked if she was 18,puzzled i said no.It turned out you are not allowed to buy vanilla extract under 18. Anyone else this has happened to??

Highland Laddie
12-Mar-08, 23:43
If it's pure vanilla, i believe that contains about 30% alcohol.

JAWS
13-Mar-08, 02:33
As usual the Government is hounding, bullying and terrifying people who sell alcohol by treat of draconian punishment into taking excessive measures in cse they might just possibly sell alcohol to somebody who is 17years and 11 months old. The idea behind Supermarkets inventing or being pressured into setting an age limit of 21 years old was to try to avoid that risk. Having set that artificial limit what is now happening is that the same fear is being transposed from 17 years 11 months to 20 years 11 months.

There have already been noises to raise the legal age to 21 years and I suspect this is just part of the softening up process to make people more likely to accept that increase. Beware the move to having to be "over 25".

If that sounds fanciful then ask yourself if it is quite accidental that during the last half year or so the Government have been pushing the idea that the "middle classes" are all wine and whiskey drinking semi-alcoholics and that something must be done to save them from themselves for the sake of their health.
And just what has been do to save them from their drink sodden state? The price of wine and spirits have suddenly had additional taxes put on them along with the increases on beer and lager to cater for the binge drinking youth of the Nation.

Does anybody really believe it will solve either problem or is it just convenient spin to make grabbing more tax from them more palatable?
“I’m mugging you for your own good because carrying all that cash around with you puts you under a terrible physical burden and is bad for your health so it’s better off in my pocket.” Sure it is! :roll:

chaz
13-Mar-08, 08:51
If it's pure vanilla, i believe that contains about 30% alcohol.
Its does , i felt a bit stupid as i am a cooking maniac and never thought:confused, i was just so stunned as the girls have bought it befor from tescos without a word.
Wouldnt like to drink that in quantity[lol]

111heather
13-Mar-08, 20:13
hi my brother went into tescos to buy a few tins of beer we my son an was refused the beer an spirits he is 44yrs old an my son is 16 think that is discracefull yet they let a 9yearold walk out we drink for his mother what is going on her

angela5
13-Mar-08, 20:17
The manager...[lol]

111heather
13-Mar-08, 20:21
they want to get their prioritys wright its not the first time they have refused people drink so if you are a kid go to tescos you will get served

angela5
14-Mar-08, 10:36
they want to get their prioritys wright its not the first time they have refused people drink so if you are a kid go to tescos you will get served

I doubt Tesco is selling alcohol to kids! I'm sure if you complain to the management they can give you a reason to why the sale was refused.

Geo
14-Mar-08, 11:01
anyone who has done bar or retail work can give you examples of parents or adults who are quite happy to buy alcohol for the underagers with them.it may be the case that they are a couple of months off 18 and related to them and think whats the harm but they are commiting a criminal offence.

That is not actually true. There are occasions when under 18s are legally allowed to drink alcohol such as with a meal in a restaurant.

Max
14-Mar-08, 14:46
A friend of mine was asked for proof of age in Tesco when she was buying party poppers!! I think you have to be 16 - (she is 18 actually).

grumpy1
16-Mar-08, 15:22
u know folk can complain all they want about tesco an their policies but u cant shoot the messenger for delivering the message correctly. the only reason most people are annoyed is not at tesco but at themselves for not carrying the correct id... the message is simple if you shop wi someone who looks like they may get refused then a) don't buy the product or B) leave them at home........

cullbucket
16-Mar-08, 16:46
If you think thats bad, come to america.... in Anchorage airport, the bar IDs EVERYONE as a policy, I have seen 80 year old men having to produce ID, everyone has ID as they're in the airport, the staff apologise and explain it is company policy. I am often asked for ID when buying drink and I am nearly 40, but the fines for selling alcohol to youngsters are up to $50,000 and there is also a possible jail term of up to 5 yrs and of course 21 yrs old before you can drink...

LPCOGIE
17-Jun-08, 22:26
I have had the same experience in Tesco in Wick, despite being 29 years old, and showing my credit and debit cards and professional membership card for my job... all of these were rejected. I was suited up, as I had just finished work and was dangling car keys in my hand... still it was not accepted that i was over 18! the check out operator called a "supervisor" over who also rejected that I could possibly be of an age to buy the very expensive wine I had in my trolley.... (despite the fact that she personally has served me on numerous occasions before!) ..... i appreciate the need to be vigilant..... but this really is a case of no common sense! I am aware that my 17 year old cousin has frequently purchased alcohol from the supermarket without anyone batting an eyelid! Maybe I will appreciate the rejection in another 10 years or so! Following on from another reply... I also got asked for ID for buying party poppers on another occasion in Tesco...... by a guy who couldnt have been a day over 17!! haha!

scorrie
18-Jun-08, 00:29
I have had the same experience in Tesco in Wick, despite being 29 years old, and showing my credit and debit cards and professional membership card for my job... all of these were rejected. I was suited up, as I had just finished work and was dangling car keys in my hand... still it was not accepted that i was over 18! the check out operator called a "supervisor" over who also rejected that I could possibly be of an age to buy the very expensive wine I had in my trolley.... (despite the fact that she personally has served me on numerous occasions before!) ..... i appreciate the need to be vigilant..... but this really is a case of no common sense! I am aware that my 17 year old cousin has frequently purchased alcohol from the supermarket without anyone batting an eyelid! Maybe I will appreciate the rejection in another 10 years or so! Following on from another reply... I also got asked for ID for buying party poppers on another occasion in Tesco...... by a guy who couldnt have been a day over 17!! haha!

Stop shopping there!! That is the ONLY language these people understand.

sjr014
18-Jun-08, 10:59
Yeah i got id'd in Tesco the other week was buying a bottle of wine along with my weekly shop, the lady in question was down right rude and made me feel like a criminal! So i asked for the manger and told her i'd be leaving all my shopping where it was! Anyway manager came and knows me and assured the checkout operator i was infact 28! So got sold the wine but she was sooo rude and it was Friday afternoon and the place was heaving!

Would see the point if i was buyin cheap cider and chewing gum? And she was insisting a passport or driving lisence as id i ask you who goes around with a passport in their handbag and what if you don't have a driving lisence?

grumpy1
18-Jun-08, 14:48
reading some of these posts, gets me thinking..there gonna be a riot when u have to over 25 to buy off sales.. if they are working by the think 21 rule now.. its gonna be think 30 when this act is passed.. better be prepared

cd1977
18-Jun-08, 15:03
I would raise the drinking age to 21 across the board, saves the type of hassle folk seem to be getting.

You are still a bairn up to 21, much as you might like to believe you are not.

Alcohol only checkouts in supermarkets are the next step.

rfr10
18-Jun-08, 15:51

That's exactly what I was going to mention. I'm not an employee of Tesco but I will back you up on this. Personally, I believe that, if at any time you wish to purchase alcohol, you should always carry ID regardless of your age. If the checkout operator even has the slightest doubt that you may be under 21, they will ask for your ID.

For example, I know many people who are 16 years of age but who look like they are 18, also, I know someone who is 22 years of age but looks around the same age as me.

So, unless you're in your late 40s, you should always take ID with you. Supermarkets need to do this for their own piece of mind and for the person they are selling it to. They don't want to get in trouble for selling alcohol to someone who is 17, because they thought they looked older than 21.

Murdina Bug
18-Jun-08, 16:08
All very well but the LAW is that you can buy alcohol at age 18 and if you can prove you are over 18 then that should be sufficient. If the operators are told to 'think over 21' then that's a fine criteria for them to use but should not be a published policy. They should just say that you may be required to provide ID when purchasing age related products.

I totally agree that the companies and individuals selling items need to be careful but there are just so many examples of pedantic practises going on! That's just bad management and lack of training.

I bet there is some back room deal been done between supermarkets and government to push 'over 21' in order to soften the blow for when they want to introduce it! In fact, surprise, surprise the Scottish Govt. have just proposed this!

rfr10
18-Jun-08, 16:23
All off-sales are advised by the government to ask for indentification if the person looks under the age of 21. Their policy is, if you look under 21, you will be asked for ID. This doesn't stop you buying alcohol if you are between the ages of 18 and 21, iy just means you will have to present your ID to be sold the alcohol. The Scottish Government are looking to increase the age of 18 to 21.

Most supermarkets, shops, etc operate a "No ID- no sale" policy for which you must present ID if you look under 21 years of age. The coop does it aswell, as do many other supermarkets. It's the customers responsibility to ensure they are carrying ID before making an attempt to purchase alcohol.

armanisgirl
18-Jun-08, 17:08
I think I would have asked for the manager if I had proved myself to be ober 18 and over 21. But, having said that, I know that staff are only protecting their own jobs, which is understandable - I have done it myself, and been subjected to threats of violence, etc.

I would suggest complaining to head office en mass if this particular store IS taking things a bit too far, but if you read my thread 'Every little helps??' this may put you off lol.

Tesco has a huge standard message for all staff to tell customers; it's their mantra - 'This is Tesco's Policy' or 'this is not Tesco's policy'. So, don't get too mad at the person asking for ID/refusing to sell an item/refusing to give full refunds.......get mad at whoever makes Tesco's policy! Write a nice letter to head office explaining why you are so hacked off with their policies - in relation to the 'look 21' policy, it might be an idea to write to the government, as they need to make their minds up what ages WILL be sold alcohol even with ID.

speedo215
18-Jun-08, 18:51
i got id'd in tesco the other which i have no bother with but the operators attitude that annoyed me, i mean i am 22 and she says to me 1986 so how old does that make you, as if i would not no my own age.

bobbyrussell09
19-Jun-08, 00:31
stop given checkout staff a hard time,they are well in there rite to refuse,an i may suspect most people arent telling us the full story on here

speedo215
19-Jun-08, 21:54
stop given checkout staff a hard time,they are well in there rite to refuse,an i may suspect most people arent telling us the full story on here
i agree with you, as having worked in a supermarket myself, if i had treated a customer the way i was treated i would have got lynched.

DeePee
20-Jun-08, 20:54
I would raise the drinking age to 21 across the board, saves the type of hassle folk seem to be getting.

You are still a bairn up to 21, much as you might like to believe you are not.

Alcohol only checkouts in supermarkets are the next step.

Doesn't work in my experience. Remember going to america and being refused a margherita (on a bloddy hot day as well) and I was 28. Dread to think we're gonna follow an american model on this subject.

quirbal
20-Jun-08, 21:10
Are we forgetting that the person selling the age related product can also be prosecuted as well as the store?

Can you blame the staff for being cautious? Would you take a risk like that in your job?

Okay so a bit of tact might be missing, which you should complain about but hey if they sold alcohol to anyone who said they are 18 then we would all be complaining about the amount of underage drinking!

TBH
20-Jun-08, 21:10
What exactly does 21 years old look like?

grumpy1
21-Jun-08, 22:09
What exactly does 21 years old look like?

Nobody really knows thats why folk are constantly getting asked for i.d

[lol][lol][lol]

Mr P Cannop
21-Jun-08, 22:26
you look at their face and judge them that way