PDA

View Full Version : crazy world

balto
08-Mar-08, 17:19
the world really is going mad banning a large amount of balloons being let of in case it damages marine wildlife, must be some pen pusher trying to holdon to their job http://news.aol.co.uk/council-in-balloon-ban/article/20080308043809990007

DeHaviLand
08-Mar-08, 19:17
It has always amazed me why people think its ok to litter the countryside by having balloon races. Good to see it banned this time.

karia
08-Mar-08, 19:34
I am in total agreement with DeHavilland on this.

Maybe pretty to look at but very bad environmentally.:(

scorrie
08-Mar-08, 19:36
It has always amazed me why people think its ok to litter the countryside by having balloon races. Good to see it banned this time.

Totally agree with that. Waste of money and typical human "Oh look, that's Bonnie" mentality. There are far better uses for rubber ;)

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 20:11
There are far better uses for rubber ;)

I bet you'd know a fair few eh? :lol:

Penelope Pitstop
08-Mar-08, 20:35
I bet you'd know a fair few eh? :lol:
Tut, tut Rob16d....[lol] What on earth are you reading about in that library!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dog-eared
08-Mar-08, 20:49
Balloon races.
When the ballons burst over the sea the remains are eaten by birds, fish and turtles , who think the remains are bits of jellyfish.
This bungs up their intestines and they can suffer and die.

It should not be done.

justine
08-Mar-08, 20:54
There was a stink up about this in the early eighties, if some can remember...A song came out entitled 99 Red balloons, which was a song by Nena(german)...
Just before the filming of this, some let off hundreds of balloons which caused the military satelites to believe there was an invasion of some sort or other, which ten caused them to send of their Harrier jets to find out what it is...They cause so much disruption for wildlife, aviation and military....
It should be stopped for all safety issues.....

Dog-eared
08-Mar-08, 20:56
BALTO

If you love your computer because all your friends are in it and you think that letting loads of balloons off is Ok , then you really should get out more.

Put your coat on . Go to the door. Open it. Look out.
What you are looking at is called " The World ".
Step forward and enjoy .
X :D

balto
08-Mar-08, 22:52
BALTO

If you love your computer because all your friends are in it and you think that letting loads of balloons off is Ok , then you really should get out more.

Put your coat on . Go to the door. Open it. Look out.
What you are looking at is called " The World ".
Step forward and enjoy .
X :D
hey i get out enough thanks but i do have a lot of friends i speak to on the internet as for my signature well i have got rid because obviously it was a bit untrue.

unicorn
08-Mar-08, 23:22
just like fireworks they cause massive disruption and destruction to wildlife, lets hope fireworks are the next to go :D

balto
08-Mar-08, 23:27
ok looks like i got it wrong again, i honestly never thought of the damage it could cause, but totally agree with unicorn about getting rid of fireworks.

Julia
08-Mar-08, 23:29
What about when they burst and all the tattered bits fall to earth just to be choked on by wee animals and birds, or worse children. :eek:

Sapphire2803
08-Mar-08, 23:38
I find myself agreeing with a Portsmouth city council decision... there's a first time for everything! :)

Struck me as a tad funny though. The last mass balloon release I saw was on Southsea Common in 1995.

For those who don't know, Southsea is in Portsmouth :D

karia
09-Mar-08, 00:08
I find myself agreeing with a Portsmouth city council decision... there's a first time for everything!

Struck me as a tad funny though. The last mass balloon release I saw was on Southsea Common in 1995.

For those who don't know, Southsea is in Portsmouth :D

You can't fault them for not 'stepping up to the plate' then..wonder how many 'original' council members are still there after almost 13 years!:eek:

Actually..probably lots of them...that's what's wrong with councils!

Sapphire2803
09-Mar-08, 00:18
Leo Madden (http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/yourcouncil/1171.html) a very expensive pain in the butt (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/dorset/3640753.stm). I think he's immortal and has been on the council since about 1890 :)