PDA

View Full Version : oil found

krieve
06-Nov-05, 00:13
Is it true that oil has been found off the caithness coast .I heard it months ago but did'nt really believe it. But my mother in law heard it on the TV the other night .Did anyone else hear about it ?

rfr10
06-Nov-05, 12:04
Probably- isn't that why there are so many developments in Wick?

Doolally
06-Nov-05, 16:49
Don't think so Robin! The oil was only discovered in the past few weeks so that's not the reason for the investment in Wick.

mmm....so what can it be?

krieve
06-Nov-05, 17:24
I was speaking to someone lately who was on a stand by boat a couple of years ago. He was saying that he remembered a rig drilling just off the caithness coast between dunbeath and berridale and they found oil . and they just put a cap on it and left it .Could this be the reason for the big investment.in to wick?

daviddd
06-Nov-05, 20:02
If they are going to develop the Lybster field they would need to build a new oil terminal here, either that or (more likely) load the tankers directly as happens west of Shetland. If the latter, there'd be hardly any benefits for Caithness, in fact this option is considered to be riskier as regards environmental pollution where errors can occur when connecting up to tankers from the rig.

I suppose they could connect to Flotta.

millwood
06-Nov-05, 20:04
Sorry think it may have been me emptying the fat frier down the sink !!

obalam
06-Nov-05, 21:14
It seems they will take in Land Rigs to develop the fields instead of using the more appropriate offshore rig.(As below) Probably the reason for this is that exploration is at an all time high, and costs of an offshore rig would be running at well over $200,000 a day,(if clients could get one) which in the end would be a more feezable option to take on the land rig although it would be a more tedious and time consuming operation. Also would like to add that the oil rig that was along the Caithness coast a few years ago never found nothing and they did cap the well, but for good !!
Anyhow the new reservoir Talisman have found will keep the UK in oil for a massive 3 whole days when produced..

"Total and BG Group secured new blocks close to their core areas in the northern and central sectors. Aberdeen-based independent Reach Exploration gained interests in 16 blocks, including six in the near-shore area of the Inner Moray Firth, between Talisman’s Beatrice field and Scotland’s east coast. Reach and its co-venture Caithness Petroleum plan to develop two oil discoveries in this acreage via extended reach drilling from onshore locations, and explore further prospects in the area, again from land-based rigs".

krieve
06-Nov-05, 21:21
Theres a pipe line that go direct to nigg from the two rigs just off lybster they could connect up to that if need be . But why put all that money in to repairing the pier at wick harbour. i dont know much about oil just saying what i heard