PDA

View Full Version : too many stickies

gollach
08-Mar-08, 13:35
6 stickies on the general forum right now :eek:
When I go it the org, I have to scroll down as all I see are stickies!
Is it time for a stickies forum?

Royster1911
08-Mar-08, 13:55
I agree 100%. Pain in the rear end they are.[disgust]

ciderally
08-Mar-08, 14:31
just thinking that this morning....

KCI
08-Mar-08, 14:44
To be honest, it doesn't really bother me!
But I have seen other messageboards with a seperate forum for stickies, which seems to work quite well, and it does make it look tidier! ;)

golach
08-Mar-08, 14:59
I always thought a sticky, was there to be seen right away, and were for purpose of maximum viewing.
I see no harm in them being shown as and where they are, its is just a tap of the mouse to get to the rest of the messages

Venture
08-Mar-08, 15:08
6 stickies on the general forum right now :eek:
When I go it the org, I have to scroll down as all I see are stickies!
Is it time for a stickies forum?

Well I suppose thats proof that they're being seen. I started the thread on Wick High School and asked the Mods to make it a sticky because so many threads were being opened in one day (I sometimes think there's a competition going on to see who can come up with the most in a day) that it was on the second page in no time. Like the thread about Lybster Playgroup its a very important local item and should be kept to the fore. People might not be adding to the thread but it is has been viewed by over 1100 already which is good. If it had been on page 2 I don't think it would be read as much. I know I always read the front page and only go into the other pages when I have time.

The two stickies about the pics of Wick and Thurso have been there since last year and I think they should be in the photography section now having had 65,000 views and nearlly 900 replies between them.

I dont think the stickies should have a section of their own but should be removed after a certain time.

Ricco
08-Mar-08, 15:26
Ah, its noce to see that the stickies are being seen. I was thinking that another one was needed - to create a set of answers to the perpetual questions about avatars. A simple scroll soon puts the stickies out of sight. ;)

gollach
08-Mar-08, 15:48
The two stickies about the pics of Wick and Thurso have been there since last year and I think they should be in the photography section now having had 50,000 views and nearlly 900 replies between them.

I'm not saying that these things are not important, I just think it's getting a bit much having so many stickies at the top of the forum. You have made a good suggestion about moving the photo threads now that they are older. Also wondering if the OU thread could go into it's own forum? That would half the number we have at present :)

dessie
08-Mar-08, 16:16
ok folks enlighten what are stickies[lol]

karia
08-Mar-08, 16:20
ok folks enlighten what are stickies[lol]

Threads that don't move down the page even if no one answers them....usually considered important enough to be given maximum opportunity for folks to view.

lynne duncan
08-Mar-08, 17:00
could the stickys have their own page

lynne duncan
08-Mar-08, 17:02
sorry guess who got lost by the stickys and never scrolled down to see that someone had the same idea! ie i posted similar thread without noticing this one

golach
08-Mar-08, 17:09
could the stickys have their own page
Lynne, Why? if they had their own forum they would no longer be stickies, thats just my opinion

henry20
08-Mar-08, 17:15
Have to agree with Golach. I would never look in a 'sticky' section. I tend to stick to the general forum and only venture out of it when I've got plenty time on my hands.

Not all stickies have any relevance to me, but it doesn't bother me that they are there - the rest of the threads are only a short scroll away.

gollach
08-Mar-08, 17:23
sorry guess who got lost by the stickys and never scrolled down to see that someone had the same idea! ie i posted similar thread without noticing this one

Thanks for highlighting the problem, lynne. ;)

Bobinovich
08-Mar-08, 17:30
Ah, its noce to see that the stickies are being seen. I was thinking that another one was needed - to create a set of answers to the perpetual questions about avatars. A simple scroll soon puts the stickies out of sight. ;)

I have often thought that a sticky in the Specials forum containing answers to these regularly asked questions (avatars, reputations, etc.) would be a good idea. If for no other reason than when such a question is asked, a post pointing to said thread can be replied with.

Lavenderblue2
08-Mar-08, 17:40
Yes, I also agree with Golach and Henry20, just leave them where they are.

LB

Angela
08-Mar-08, 17:49
Must say I agree with golach, henry20 and LB2 -stickies are there on the front page to attract our attention.

Would many folk really go to a different forum to search for stickies that might have no relevance at all to them? I really doubt it....:confused

Sporran
08-Mar-08, 17:59
I have often thought that a sticky in the Specials forum containing answers to these regularly asked questions (avatars, reputations, etc.) would be a good idea. If for no other reason than when such a question is asked, a post pointing to said thread can be replied with.

I think that would be a great idea! :) As for the stickies in the General forum, they're fine right where they are. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to look at a separate Stickies forum!

KCI
08-Mar-08, 18:13
Is there any way we could have this thread as a stickie, so no-one misses it? :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Please forgive my moment of childishness! :roll:

After thinking about it, I doubt if I would look in a Stickie forum either, so probably best the way it is.

miranda
08-Mar-08, 18:22
best left where they are as they are brought to peoples attention most here!