PDA

View Full Version : Do you watch crufts

ANNIE
08-Mar-08, 12:17
I watch this every year and love to see all the different breeds. Just hopin some time we'll c the labradoodle on there. Mind u don't think I enjoy it as much as my dog does he just lays on the floor staring at the tv.Think he's just wishin he was there :)

carasmam
08-Mar-08, 13:05
I watch Crufts every year. I know a lot of people dont approve of heelwork to music, but I love it !! I had never heard of a Shiba-Inu until I watched Crufts and they are lovely looking dogs. So it's educational too.
Did you see the Great Dane who was partially sighted and a PAT dog? What lovely markings and such a gentle face :)

ashaw1
08-Mar-08, 13:34
My uncle is a kennel club judge down there, gun dogs i think!

labsrus
09-Mar-08, 00:38
Why on earth would anyone disapprove of heeelwork to music? The dogs love it and people too, its a great way to train your dog and have fun at the same time. I must admit Mary Rae's performance before the Best in Show is my favourite part of Crufts, can be really moving at times to see what a close bond she has with her dogs.

Also its not just for pedigrees, anyone can take part unlike the obedience and agility when you have no chance if you dont have a collie!

carasmam
09-Mar-08, 01:00
A couple of doggy forums I go in heelwork to music is poo poo'd upon :roll:

I love watching it, they do have a great bond with the dogs. It was after seeing a guy on the programme Faking It fool the judges that really got me, the bond he forged with the totally untrained rescue dog was unbelievable as he had never had a pet in his life. Afterwards he went to visit the dog in her new home at weekends to get away from city life.

porshiepoo
09-Mar-08, 12:59
I love Crufts. It's the culmination for those entered of a year of qualifying.
I qualified Bailey Woo Woo for Crufts the very first time I took him to a show (yes, I'm bragging) lol, at Crufts he got placed 2nd in his class which automatically qualified him for Crufts the following year. It was the most amazing experience ever and not just because of the size of the show but because of the adventure Paris and I had just getting down there. :lol: Paris will no doubt remember! Almost getting kidnapped and having our organs sold on the black market. lol.

Anyways I'm wittering. Crufts is a great place with a great atmosphere. However as someone who has shown there I would have a couple of gripes.
1) There is no entrance separate for entrants from the general public - it really is a cavalry charge and has caused quite a few problems.
2) The general public can walk round the entrants stands unhindered. That may sound trivial but when you're already nervous and anxious and you have someone shoving a camera in your face making the most ridiculous comments about 'the lovely doggies' it can get a tad much.
3) Although I understand the reason behind it I found it a bit much that no competitor could leave the arena until 4pm regardless of whether they're dogs had finished at 9am or not. It made it very difficult for traveling back.

Still I'd do it again in a heart beat and I was pleased to see that Garsak got the Group2 in working yesterday. Would have liked Group1 but Phillippe Olivier the Giant schnauzer is an amazing dog too.

ciderally
09-Mar-08, 21:11
went one year and really enjoyed it....apart from the show rings..there was just so much to see and buy.....

ANNIE
09-Mar-08, 21:24
U lucky thing just seen friend for life now that made me cry. The little girl and her dog really deserved it

ANNIE
09-Mar-08, 22:07
Max watching crufts http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2142/image001ut0.jpg

carasmam
09-Mar-08, 22:14
I cried too when the little girl and Yepa won, they deserved it didn't they. Not a dry eye in the studio either I think ;)

binbob
10-Mar-08, 11:18
i really wanted the dogs from iraqu to win....but good for the wee girl and her companion.very touching tales all round.please forgive spelling of ir....

Bakerbhoy
10-Mar-08, 14:28
Nowzad and Tali were from Afghanistan. Would have been nice to see them win seeing as they have had such a bad start in life but then again any one of them deserved it.

Did you see the greyhound with 3 legs doing agility, that was amazing!!!!

carasmam
10-Mar-08, 14:33
All the dogs were worthy of the prize (including our own !!)
The greyhound with 3 legs was brilliant, amazed at the recovery time, back running about in no time at all.

Loved the little white Jack Russell in the agility too, what a cutie.
I would like to go to crufts for the flyball and agility, the dogs look as though they are in their element and the atmosphere would be great :D

binbob
10-Mar-08, 17:53
Nowzad and Tali were from Afghanistan. Would have been nice to see them win seeing as they have had such a bad start in life but then again any one of them deserved it.

Did you see the greyhound with 3 legs doing agility, that was amazing!!!!
sorry...got the place wrong...but probably many other dogs need the same help.

Bakerbhoy
10-Mar-08, 23:38
sorry binbob if that sounded gruff didn't mean it hahaha. Someone has a link on one of the other pages to a charity set up by the guy who had the 2 dogs at crufts. Amazing work they are trying to do, they have rehomed a dog to America too.

My wee one persuaded me that it would be really good to stay up and watch it all, 1hr 1/2 later off to bed. She has now decided that she would like a samoyed, a collie, a beagle a. . . . . the list goes on hahaha

binbob
10-Mar-08, 23:59
sorry binbob if that sounded gruff didn't mean it hahaha. Someone has a link on one of the other pages to a charity set up by the guy who had the 2 dogs at crufts. Amazing work they are trying to do, they have rehomed a dog to America too.

My wee one persuaded me that it would be really good to stay up and watch it all, 1hr 1/2 later off to bed. She has now decided that she would like a samoyed, a collie, a beagle a. . . . . the list goes on hahaha

no offence was taken...and ur wee lass sounds just as i did over 45 years ago.have had many spaniels since then and now have 3 cockers and a basset.do u have the website addie for the guy s charity..???
many thanks

Bakerbhoy
11-Mar-08, 11:24
Thanks to Carasmam who posted the link: -

http://www.nowzaddogs.co.uk/

Its the quietest she has been in ages watching the dogs shame they can't have something on every week hahahah

ashaw1
13-Mar-08, 09:18
My uncle is a kennel club judge down there, gun dogs i think!
Just found out his flat coated retriever Jet won his section along with a challenge certificate!

carasmam
13-Mar-08, 10:43
Thanks to Carasmam who posted the link: -

http://www.nowzaddogs.co.uk/

Its the quietest she has been in ages watching the dogs shame they can't have something on every week hahahah

No problem Bakerbhoy. http://www.cruftsdvd.com/ We can buy the dvd for the little ones, that will amuse them for a while !!

Ashaw1, your uncle will be very proud, thats a good result.:D