PDA

View Full Version : Wetherspoons Thurso

BIG A
08-Mar-08, 10:51
Have heard that Wetherspoons:lol: are to open in Thurso in old church beside Bank of Scotland

bekisman
08-Mar-08, 11:22
don't know, but had a look on their site for 'opening soon' nothing yet..

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubs/index.php?Submit=Go&LatLongId=2437668&SearchPub=thurso

Ash
08-Mar-08, 11:23
Have heard that Wetherspoons:lol: are to open in Thurso in old church beside Bank of Scotland

god i hope not!

Royster1911
08-Mar-08, 11:52
It`s a funeral parlour and a carpenters workshop is it not? Perhaps the chippy is diversifying.[disgust]

gollach
08-Mar-08, 12:01
The guy who owns that building and runs the business is an elder of the Free Church. I doubt that he would sell it on to Wetherspoons.

teddybear1873
08-Mar-08, 12:15
I cant see Weatherspoons going at the funeral parlour's somehow. Theres too many houses next it for starters. Not the right location and the thought of an old kirk being turned into pub dosen't sound right.

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 13:29
That would be freaky....haunted ! :( Eekkkk! Where'd you hear this?

ashaw1
08-Mar-08, 13:31
I cant see Weatherspoons going at the funeral parlour's somehow. Theres too many houses next it for starters. Not the right location and the thought of an old kirk being turned into pub dosen't sound right.
Well you should visit Edinburgh or Glasgow then, there are loads of old churches turned into pubs/clubs/restaurants. I know Wetherspoons have a few like that already. One at the bottom of Leith Walk in Edinburgh for example.

dessie
08-Mar-08, 13:34
wetherspoons use an old church in AYRE..not to bad a place to visit if your down there....

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 13:34
Well I suppose it does add atmosphere to the place being in an old church.....

golach
08-Mar-08, 13:55
Well you should visit Edinburgh or Glasgow then, there are loads of old churches turned into pubs/clubs/restaurants. I know Wetherspoons have a few like that already. One at the bottom of Leith Walk in Edinburgh for example.
Ashaw, Weatherspoons pub The Foot of the Walk was never a church, it was the Palace Cinema, for the most of its life, did my courting there :D

Royster1911
08-Mar-08, 14:19
Plenty of spirits then?[lol][lol]

anneoctober
08-Mar-08, 14:43
Don't think that this can be correct, - where would you park your car etc? There's a wee side street running alongside the old church used by peeps living there and the garage at the back of church. Like another poster has said, I can't see Mr Cooper selling and especially to wetherspoons or the like.:confused

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 14:49
Plenty of spirits then?[lol][lol]

haha! lol!!!!!!

ashaw1
08-Mar-08, 15:01
Ashaw, Weatherspoons pub The Foot of the Walk was never a church, it was the Palace Cinema, for the most of its life, did my courting there :D
So it was silly me! I would much rather these beautiful buildings were re-used rather than ending up like a lot of the old buildings, just left to decay.

golach
08-Mar-08, 15:04
Don't think that this can be correct, - where would you park your car etc? There's a wee side street running alongside the old church used by peeps living there and the garage at the back of church. :confused
Do the Commercial or the Holburn, have car parks? its has been a little while since I have been for a drink in either but cannot remember a car park for either.

anneoctober
08-Mar-08, 15:07
Do the Commercial or the Holburn, have car parks? its has been a little while since I have been for a drink in either but cannot remember a car park for either.
I take your point Golach, but I think that Wetherspoons would be looking for a better site than this one. ;)

mccaugm
08-Mar-08, 16:46
How about if Wetherspoons bought the Station Hotel and made it into a Wetherlodge like they have in Inverness. Would this go down well with the folks in Thurso?

bekisman
08-Mar-08, 18:04
If you really want wetherspoon to come to Thurso there is a link on their site:
'So, you have a location in mind which you think would make a great place to open up a new J D Wetherspoon or Lloyds No.1 bar?': http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/feedback/development/index.php#section-header (http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/feedback/development/index.php#section-header)

mccaugm
08-Mar-08, 18:30
'So, you have a location in mind which you think would make a great place to open up a new J D Wetherspoon or Lloyds No.1 bar?': http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/feedback/development/index.php#section-header (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/feedback/development/index.php#section-header)

Been there, done that, and they are currently looking into it.:D

Heres hoping.....Mr Tim Martin agrees!

teddybear1873
08-Mar-08, 18:30
'So, you have a location in mind which you think would make a great place to open up a new J D Wetherspoon or Lloyds No.1 bar?': http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/feedback/development/index.php#section-header (http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/feedback/development/index.php#section-header)

Post Office in Sinclair Street or The Janet Street Club (they may as well close there doors anyway)

buggyracer
08-Mar-08, 19:02
This site was looked at about 5 years ago for a weatherspoons, i beleive the answer then was that it wouldnt be sold to be turned into a public house, cant see that changing? ;)

The holborn has a car park directly opposite it :roll:

teddybear1873
08-Mar-08, 19:16
This site was looked at about 5 years ago for a weatherspoons, i beleive the answer then was that it wouldnt be sold to be turned into a public house, cant see that changing? ;)

The holborn has a car park directly opposite it :roll:

Why not? The one in Wick was.

Loch not Lock
08-Mar-08, 19:22
Some 40 years ago my dad had the chance to buy the Church for a pittance but he turned it down. It was always a regret of his and now I feel the same.:~(

Penelope Pitstop
08-Mar-08, 20:40
Plenty of spirits then?[lol]

Do you think they would be FREE spirits Royster......lol[lol]

Penelope Pitstop
08-Mar-08, 20:42
Don't think that this can be correct, - where would you park your car etc? There's a wee side street running alongside the old church used by peeps living there and the garage at the back of church. Like another poster has said, I can't see Mr Cooper selling and especially to wetherspoons or the like.:confused
Who would want to take their car to the pub anyway....not me:Razz

Can't think of any local pubs that have a car park.

Jeid
08-Mar-08, 21:28
Liquid has a car park.

I think the licensing board would be silly to let a Wetherspoons in Thurso. Pubs are barely surviving as it is... why would the council put local landlords at such risk. I for one can't see it happening.

zappster
10-Mar-08, 18:26
Wouldve been ideal for the old viewfirth eh?

rob16d
10-Mar-08, 19:38
Wouldve been ideal for the old viewfirth eh?

Good one Zap! never thought of that!

anneoctober
10-Mar-08, 20:43
Who would want to take their car to the pub anyway....not me:Razz

Can't think of any local pubs that have a car park.
Nor I PP, however I'm sure the planning committee would take that factor into account regardless of the pedestrian reveller !:lol:

Royster1911
10-Mar-08, 20:43
How about the drill hall in sinclair street. Thats up for sale!

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Mar-08, 21:32

Source, then, please. Thanks.

weestraw
10-Mar-08, 23:35
Post Office in Sinclair Street or The Janet Street Club (they may as well close there doors anyway)

Actually The THURSO CLUB (Helps if we get the name right rather than making up imaginary places) income was better this year than it has been for many years and overall is looking up.

Wetherspoons probably wouldnt be interested in Thurso there isnt really an ideal premises that would compete in the market.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Mar-08, 14:18
So, a lot of hot air, then?

rob16d
11-Mar-08, 14:22
What about the old victoria wine? Oh, thats got some council thing in it?

bekisman
11-Mar-08, 15:34
We were in Wick Wetherspoon today, so asked the bloke if they were going to establish themselves in Thurso. He said; "it's on the development plan to come to Thurso, but the Church is not too happy about Wetherspoon using it [the church]".
I don't know; religion standing in the way of progress again, It's really a pity Loch Not Lock's old man didn't buy it when he had a chance..

bekisman
18-Mar-08, 17:13
I emailed wetherspoon a few days ago to ask if they were 'officially' coming to Thurso, just had this in:

Dear Mr .... Thank you for your email. JD Wetherspoon is looking at sites in Thurso although we are only in the very early stages and therefore I am unable to provide you with any further details. Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us.
Kind regards
Carolyn Ormerod
Property Department

Bobinovich
03-Jul-08, 22:00
How about the drill hall in sinclair street. Thats up for sale!

Think you may be right - received a 'local property sales' e-mail yesterday which states that it's just sold for £110k (I think it was), and also notice that the Wee Ones shop, which was in part of the Sinclair Street building, has relocated to Princes Street.

With the recent increase in its prices, maybe the Central will have new competition for a child-friendly eaterie with play area...

del 123
03-Jul-08, 22:52
its old buildings i.e post offices,banks& churches they go for.Also money talks! a big company will find a place if they want it . i think

Kevin Milkins
03-Jul-08, 23:07
When you train to work for W/S is it the first thing they teach you to see how long you can ignore and avoid eye contact with the person waiting to be served.?
I have been in several W/S all over the country and it seems the same policy in all of them.

TBH
03-Jul-08, 23:09
When you train to work for W/S is it the first thing they teach you to see how long you can ignore and avoid eye contact with the person waiting to be served.?
I have been in several W/S all over the country and it seems the same policy in all of them.Maybe they just don't like you Kevin.:lol:

Kevin Milkins
03-Jul-08, 23:13
Maybe they just don't like you Kevin.:lol:

Well you could be right with that one TBH ,as they must be doing some things right to grow the way they have.:confused