PDA

View Full Version : What about THS?

veekay
07-Mar-08, 21:02
I know before anyone starts, that the state of Wick HS is more than a disgrace but what of Thurso HS. I know for a fact that there has been a sustained campaign to get the school ' fixed ' since 1997 and what has been done nothing. Our MSPs, councilors in fact anyone who is anyone has been dragged around and they have all said that it is beyond belief what the staff and pupils have to put up with, there are toilets that were they anywhere but a school, would have been condemd years ago.

So yes fight for Wick school to be re built but remember that Thurso high school is in as bad if not worse condition and nothing short of a bulldozer should be used on it.

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 21:15
THS is nothing but cardboard stacked up to shelter us from the wind...untill it gets blown away!

veekay
07-Mar-08, 21:18
Well I am sure that everyone wishes the wind would hurry and do its job!

changilass
07-Mar-08, 21:48
All I can say is that it must be superdooper cardboard, its been there for donkeys years.

Sporran
09-Mar-08, 08:31
All I can say is that it must be superdooper cardboard, its been there for donkeys years.

Fifty years to be exact! Thurso High School first opened in August, 1958. :cool:

veekay
09-Mar-08, 15:56
Fifty years to be exact! Thurso High School first opened in August, 1958. :cool:

And they are planning abig bash. Perhaps they should be planning abig knock it down and start again, but then it was designed by Sir Basil Spence so they will continue to patch and make do won't they

cuddlepop
09-Mar-08, 18:36
Unless i read education reports wrongly then Thurso High School will be repaired/rebuilt before Wick.

we're due to be moved into out new PPP school Aug2008 and Dingwall are in May2008.
Keppies are the architects for both builds.Dingwalls looks far nicer than ours.
Why did no one think to use the same set of plans for both schools instead of running up additional costs for more drawings.
Think of the saving that would have made and what they could have done with that.:roll:

rob16d
09-Mar-08, 19:48
The extension is recently rennovated....but it's still rubbish!!

NickInTheNorth
09-Mar-08, 19:57
Given that people are calling for a new Thurso High School, and a new Wick High School, why not a new "Caithness High School" locate it near Georgemas Junction, run trains to Wick and Thurso, and include top notch publicly accessible sports facilities too.

Far less costly to build one school instead of 2. Probably far less to run too.

rob16d
09-Mar-08, 19:59
Given that people are calling for a new Thurso High School, and a new Wick High School, why not a new "Caithness High School" locate it near Georgemas Junction, run trains to Wick and Thurso, and include top notch publicly accessible sports facilities too.

Hey,,,

This doesn't sound too bad.......maybe we should.....Unfair on wickers though...have to go further...

Also train lines would be congested, TONS of trains would have 2 be run

Venture
09-Mar-08, 20:03

You'd need a heck of a big school to cater for nearlly 2000 children and the cost of transporting them for Thurso and Wick would be colosal.

Mystical Potato Head
09-Mar-08, 20:39
The extension is recently rennovated....but it's still rubbish!!

I was in the extension on friday, i tripped over one of those wet floor signs that had been knocked down, battered the wall - and the wall moved! Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think walls are supposed to move.

gollach
09-Mar-08, 20:59

Hey Nick, you've "borrowed" that idea from Gordon Campbell :lol:

NickInTheNorth
09-Mar-08, 21:01
Wish it were true, but I've no idea who he is, and never seen the idea suggested anywhere :D

gollach
09-Mar-08, 21:26
Wish it were true, but I've no idea who he is, and never seen the idea suggested anywhere :D

He is the guy in the green sweatshirt who stood as an independent at the last election for the Scottish Parliament. He had a manifesto pledge to build a secondary school in Halkirk.