PDA

View Full Version : Low pressure, high water

Tugmistress
07-Mar-08, 20:06
Hi folks,
just as pre warning that there is a possibility of the high tides on sunday and monday morning causing POSSIBLE flooding in and around harbour areas (not sure on east coast but certainly apertains to scrabster/thurso/castletown etc). There is going to be a very low barometric pressure (in the 960's) coinciding with the highest tides of the year here, so if you have a wee boat moored somewhere you light like to check on it. high tide at scrabster sunday is 09.38 and monday is 10.16. the evening tides are not quite as high. the wind will be fairly strong from a S/E direction, as i say i don't know how this will affect the east coast harbours, i don't know if the tides there will be as high :confused

ciderally
07-Mar-08, 20:32
wow sounds like its going to be nasty...good job your doing..

Seabird
07-Mar-08, 20:40
East coast (Wick) will have a 3.6m high tide at 11.40am on Saturday.
Lybster should be interesting, the piers there are only a few feet above the water line at very high tide.
A brisk SE wind and low pressure i suspect will give a few problems.
Me thinks i might get down there with the camera.

Tugmistress
07-Mar-08, 20:44
Hi Seabird,
I know the highest tide here is sunday morning of 5.14m at 09.28 but it will certainly be higher because of the low pressure, you're the best one to know about Lybster! make sure you post the piccies if you get some good ones lol

anneoctober
07-Mar-08, 23:33
East coast (Wick) will have a 3.6m high tide at 11.40am on Saturday.
Lybster should be interesting, the piers there are only a few feet above the water line at very high tide.
A brisk SE wind and low pressure i suspect will give a few problems.
Me thinks i might get down there with the camera.
For goodness sake be careful Seabird, we'd rather have you posting here , - not blasted off your feet and taken for a tour o davy Jones locker :eek:

kas
09-Mar-08, 11:31
The tide at Scrabster ended up looking very nice in the good weather and was not as high as predicted. There is still tomorrow.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/harb.jpg