PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Tourism in Caithness

Goodwill
05-Nov-05, 20:16
Caithness.org News – 4th November 05
Caithness cited as an example for wilderness tourism. Hands up anyone who thinks we live in the wilderness. Comments to the Message Board

As no-one else has responded to the above - thought I would set the ball rolling.
It seems our wild lands of Caithness may at last be given the recognition they so deserve. For too long what is so special and unique about Caithness has been overlooked. There's potential for a huge growth in tourism in this county if we market - what Caithness has in abundance - landscapes, huge, open skys, uninterrupted panoramic views, archaeology and culture. Our heritage - the very essence of Caithness.

The Highlands were very recently voted 'One of the 75 Wonders of the World' (41st) - rightly so! Orkney has capitalised on its archaeology. Caithness has been sorely neglected and it's about time this was rectified.

I don't know who's asking that we put up our hands if we think we live in a wilderness - it's not about living in a wilderness - but hands up if we recognise how fortunate we are to live in a county which hasn't been ravaged by indiscriminate development (apart form the tree planting tax evading plantations - big mistake by those responsible but we'll make sure that doesn't happen again). Take a wander in any direction in Caithness, short climb up one of the small hills and the views just go on and on. From the coastlines to the flows & hinterland, over to Orkney and on a really clear day all the way to the Moray Coast - spectacular.

Do we live in a wilderness? No, we live along side this magnificent natural wilderness. Do others agree??

willowbankbear
05-Nov-05, 23:21
Aye we do live in a wilderness ,apart fae Wick & Thurso there is Nothing in this County or Sutherland, Nothing to do, anyway, It is a wilderness after Inverness tho really, Nah make that Stirling:) Its peaceful-ish tho!

kas
05-Nov-05, 23:35
In my mind alot more wildlife tourism could be taken into Caithness if the resources were here.
Efforts should be made to try and capture some of the trade passing through to the Northern Isles. The amount of people that pass through on their way to Orkney must be quite significant.

I like to birdwatch and often go on the walks conducted by the Highland council Ranger service. Some of the places I have discovered through these walks are amazing. But well kept secrets from tourists.

I quite often go to Dunnet head in the summer with my telescope to watch the seabirds. The amount of people you meet up there is unreal, and alot of them will ask what you are looking at. On a nice day I could stay up there all day, answering peoples questions and letting them look through the scope. One day there was a Peregrine falcon on the cliff face, and about 30-40 people must of had a look through my scope and they were memorized by it. And the one question that pops up every time is "Is there any Puffins?" Personally I think that they could justify some sort of visitor centre up here, because even if you dont like wildlife the views are something else.

But nearly none of the people I have met up here have actually been staying in the county. They have been passing through or taken a day trip up north, whilst staying in Dornoch, Inverness etc. And this is by no means with any disrespect to the owners of B&Bs, guest houses or hotels. I know alot of effort is put in by these people.
It was the same up west, when I was watching the whales this summer. Plenty of people passing through but none staying for a few days.

And finally without starting any kind of debate, but if all the proposed wind farms get the go ahead, Caithness will loose alot of its wilderness in my mind. Windmills and wilderness arent two words that go together in my mind.

SAMITCHELL7
06-Nov-05, 00:24
On a recient visit to Caithness for my brothers wedding, I stayed in a bungalow on the south side of Dunbeath, having left Caithness 20yrs ago feeling there was nothing left there for me and lots of others leaving Caithness about the same time, possibly for the same reasons. When i woke up the morning of the wedding the sun was shining all the way down the strath one of my favourite place in the world to be, i thought at that moment there is plenty here, and had a very big yearning to stay there, the day after i walked along the beach with my dog, feeling the same i did the day before, and having that same yearning, maybe the only thing I have left up north are my parents,but i dont think thats the only thing that takes me HOME i think its just CAITHNESS

Goodwill
06-Nov-05, 00:24
Exactly Kaz. It's disgraceful how little has been done in this county to promote what's 'out there' for tourists and residents. A few years ago I renovated a cottage for holiday lets. It was a bit risky as I wasn't sure what the market for holidays in such a remote and isolated location might be. The response has been amazing - the cottage fully booked for the entire season. Visitors have come from Sweden, Germany, France, Denmark, Canada, the length and breadth of Scotland and England - and they love it - many come back annually, some twice a year. So many of them astonished by what we have to offer - the simple things that we take for granted, the nature and wildlife and birdlife, the landscapes, the prehistoric sites, the walking, the fishing - I could go on!. I've amassed loads of information on areas for them to visit - which is just as well because, as you so rightly point out, they wouldn't stand a chance of finding it themselves in this county.

I fear you're also quite right when you point out that this potential for growth may be about to be shattered by Highland Councils proposed Renewable Energy Strategy - if it gets the go ahead. A proposed target for approx 1000 (one thousand) turbines (calculated on 2 MW turbines) across the Highlands by 2020. That figure doesn't include their proposed local developments which will be scattered all over Caithness and other areas of the Highlands. Unbelievable!!!

porshiepoo
06-Nov-05, 09:55
I fear you're also quite right when you point out that this potential for growth may be about to be shattered by Highland Councils proposed Renewable Energy Strategy - if it gets the go ahead. A proposed target for approx 1000 (one thousand) turbines (calculated on 2 MW turbines) across the Highlands by 2020. That figure doesn't include their proposed local developments which will be scattered all over Caithness and other areas of the Highlands. Unbelievable!!![/QUOTE]

Don't be silly! The turbines aren't exactly an eye sore and are a tourist attraction! I have loads of people that come up here to visit us and one of the things they now all want to go and see are the turbines. Not one of them says 'can we go and see the nuclear power plant' though!

The highlands (in my humble opinion :rolleyes: ) should try to improve on certain aspects of Caithness without bringing in too much development!
In the end there won't be any point in tourists coming any further north than Inverness cos there won't be any difference.
The landscape as we see it today will be all but gone. And if you think now that people just pass through to get to the orkneys, they'll soon start going 'round' to get to the orkneys. The things that appeal to tourists up here are the scenic, EMPTY roads, the countryside and all all it's original ruggedness, the quaint little towns, polite folk that take time to say hello and oh yes! The wind turbines!

Lester
06-Nov-05, 10:31
Porshiepoo
Maybe none of your friends want to go and see Dounreay but there is thousands that go to the visitor centre every year.

Murdina Bug
06-Nov-05, 11:05
Porshiepoo, unlike you, I know visitors who want to visit the Dounreay visitor centre but DO NOT want to see wind turbines! Each to their own, but at least Dounreay is in one location and actually quite visually unobtrusive - its centre is informative and the history of the place does attract interest. A turbine is just a turbine. One field of them may be unusual but when they are crammed all over the North of Scotland I would consider that 'too much development' which you refer to.

The countryside and 'wilderness' aspects of this county should definately be promoted but it will be difficult to get tourists interested when the locals don't even see whats there! How many locals go on the Ranger guided walks for example? Also, given that the Scottish Tourist Board does not think the county very worthy of representation then if a group external to Caithness does the promotion we are still likely to get the sort of day tripper business rather than long stay.

The nature of most holidaymakers is to look for features which can be 'done' in a set period of time and contain a cafe and gift shop! Not something we have a lot of here so anybody that can develop tourism from wilderness will need to be pretty sure of their audience and be able to target the right areas. I suspect these would not be the kind of tourists who wander about the town centre in colourful shorts - they are going to be in green and lying in the heather somewhere! If only there was a bottomless pit of money to develop the archaology of the county - that would be a big draw for all ages (and you can add the gift shop, as Scara Brae has!)