PDA

View Full Version : My vacuum is weak!

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 15:32
The suction on my dyson is weak...it's a dyson DC 07 ......the pipes aren't blocked......Do I have to clean the filters as it was 2nd hand when I got it last week? Cheers guys!

PS. Yes a 16 year old lad does do housework!

dirdyweeker
07-Mar-08, 15:36
I used to wash my Dyson filters regularly. Guess it was pot luck though whether it helped. Certainly got many long years out of it.
Good on you for hoovering, wish my 2 teens felt like you when it came to cleaning! I just try not to even enter their rooms.

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 15:39
I used to wash my Dyson filters regularly. Guess it was pot luck though whether it helped. Certainly got many long years out of it.
Good on you for hoovering, wish my 2 teens felt like you when it came to cleaning! I just try not to even enter their rooms.

So will cleaning botht he filters help? What do i clean them with?

I have to hoover, not that I have my own house all the houseworks is down to me! :) Haha, you should ground them!

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 15:44
Yeah I had a look but I couldn't find much....maybe because I don't feel well and I can't concentrate.

Riffman
07-Mar-08, 15:46
I have worked on a DC07, nice and easy to get apart.

Mostly likely there is something jammed in the bend near the wheels.

I took one apart for a friend, filters were fine, pipes were fine, but I got right into it and found screws/nails and a whole BIRO!

Needless to say the suction problem was solved![lol]

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 15:49
I ound an article about dismatling the cylinders which are sealed by screws etc etc because they would neve be expected to be needed open......So are you saying I should do this? I've checked the bend near the wheels...

dirdyweeker
07-Mar-08, 15:59
If the suction is weak it is more likely tubing is blocked somewhere. I just rinsed my filters in warm soapy water on a regular basis. Doubt if the suction being weak will be caused by filters alone.
I reckon you have something jamming the hose.....not a smelly sock I hope!

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 16:03
Hmmm ok hose isnt blocked just washed filter (wasnt very dirty.......suction is still bad!

octane
07-Mar-08, 16:14
The suction on my dyson is weak...it's a dyson DC 07

Yeah I had a look but I couldn't find much....maybe because I don't feel well and I can't concentrate.

mmm me thinks you should get out and find yourself a women, dysons dont like sucking up any fluids or mositness.

But if thats your thing then each to there own, but check out the consequence of the actions with Henry [lol]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/03/nhoover103.xml (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/03/nhoover103.xml)

But if filters/ pipes are clean then sounds like it just needs a new motor

dirdyweeker
07-Mar-08, 16:21
Perhaps your Dyson has become 'senior' too. Maybe time to trade in for a new one! I know that Dyson will pick up for free and deliver back very quickly if you have insurance cover taken out on it.

octane
07-Mar-08, 16:25
Im pretty sure they do a service on them, a one off payment of £65 and that includes all parts too

dirdyweeker
07-Mar-08, 16:30
Dane Sutherland in River Street was the man to fix them but that shop alas is gone.Perhaps there is another local repair shop? A telephone number is in your Dyson book, why not ring to check out cost of service. Could be cheaper than replacement.

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 16:31
I got it from homeaid......so its quite old...maybei should just buy a new one?

Julia
07-Mar-08, 16:42
Have you found all the bits that unclip, there is a bit at the end of the hose between the back wheels, I have to make sure a bit on the front is lined up properly or mine loses lots of suction, I'd advise you to unclip any bits that can be but wouldn't unscrew anything, remember to unplug it first! :eek:

Ash
07-Mar-08, 16:45
I got it from homeaid......so its quite old...maybei should just buy a new one?

they shouldnt have sold it if it doesnt work properly

Riffman
07-Mar-08, 16:47
If its really useless I can pop over sometime and have a look at it for you, there is very little to wear out on a dyson really, so blockages and leaky seals are the main problems.

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 16:50
Cool, I got it for free so don't worry didn't pay for it! YOu sure that wouldn't be a problem riffman? I'll see if i can get it to work again...

Riffman
07-Mar-08, 16:57
Yeah drop me a PM, I'm only over there in the week though, although might be over tomorrow.

balto
07-Mar-08, 16:59
must say i have never had a problem with my dyson, and also have to confess never go near the filter, oh i can hear the tuts now.[lol][lol]

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 17:01
Oh I think I got it working....cinsed filter and put water thru the cyclinders inside the dust collecting vac.........I'm not sure if it's betetr I'll let you all know when my carpets are really messy...

dirdyweeker
07-Mar-08, 17:09
Oh I think I got it working....cinsed filter and put water thru the cyclinders inside the dust collecting vac.........I'm not sure if it's betetr I'll let you all know when my carpets are really messy...

Hope you are not trying it with wet filters?
Give them a chance to dry out.

Penelope Pitstop
07-Mar-08, 17:17
Doubt if the suction being weak will be caused by filters alone.

My Dyson wouldn't soooook last week so I cleaned the sponge filter and it worked a treat.:D

Just wash in warm soapy water and leave to dry....easy!

Penelope Pitstop
07-Mar-08, 17:20
must say i have never had a problem with my dyson, and also have to confess never go near the filter, oh i can hear the tuts now.[lol]

No tuts....your hoose obviously isn't as dirty as mine!!!! lol[lol]

Rheghead
07-Mar-08, 17:30
I rinsed out the filter on my dyson last month with just water and it is like a new machine. Mrs hoovered up some ash from the peat and it just clogged the works up totally.:(

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 18:04
I think it works better the water ran black for ages! LOL! why do i have 2 leave it 2 dry?

Riffman
07-Mar-08, 18:13
Otherwise you will suck water into the machine which will then mix with the dirt and it will set hard inside the machine and clog it up.

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 18:16
Oooops I started using it already! I think ii does work better...How exactly does a vacuum clearer work? Not to sound ignorant...but how do the mechanics work?

Geo
07-Mar-08, 19:56
We have a DC07. I don't like it at all as we have had so much trouble with it including the motor blowing up. Fixed under warranty though but was still hassle. Read all about it if you fancy wasting a few minutes: http://www.hookeslaw.com/dyson.htm

As mentioned clean the filter. They lose suction when the filter gets blocked. Rinse under the tap, squeeze a few times until the water runs clear. You'll be surprised by how much black stuff comes out of it. Let it try out overnight before replacing. If everything else is ok they are like a new machine with a clean filter.

Another problem we had that led to a loss of suction was a little split in the small hose that goes under the machine. Dyson sent a new one out under warranty and that sorted it.

When it needs replacing I think we will go with a Henry or Miele.

Ricco
07-Mar-08, 20:04
Interesting... I would also check the entire hose to make sure that there isn't a split along the length. Have you changed the Hepa filter (it cannot be washed). Also, underneath, there are two rubber flaps that close the vents when the vacuum is operating. Make sure that these can close properly.

dirdyweeker
07-Mar-08, 22:30
We have a DC07.
When it needs replacing I think we will go with a Henry or Miele.

I had a Dyson for years and swore by it for suction. Now bought a Miele and cannot believe how much better it is. I would definitely recommend it!
What a saddo I am sitting on a Friday night discussing hoovers!!

balto
07-Mar-08, 22:36
No tuts....your hoose obviously isn't as dirty as mine!!!! lol[lol]
oh dont you believe it, how i have escaped it for so long is totally beyond me as thanks tomy darling son the hoover is on at least 5 times a day and that is a good day, but i might be nice to my hoover tomorrow and clean the filters, as i think i have been mistreating it if reading the other posts are anything to go by, good job there isnt an assotiation for mistreated hoovers lol[lol]

Venture
07-Mar-08, 22:41
I had a Dyson for years and swore by it for suction. Now bought a Miele and cannot believe how much better it is. I would definitely recommend it!
What a saddo I am sitting on a Friday night discussing hoovers!!

Definitely Dirdyweeker

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 23:43
i think its a success

changilass
07-Mar-08, 23:50
We have had a Miele for about 5 yrs now, its a must if you have pets that cast like our Newfie.

We got it cos 'Which' said it was the best for pet hairs and they were spot on.

scorrie
08-Mar-08, 00:16
I've tried Dyson and it was over-priced rubbish. The suction power was disappointing and dropped noticeably as the cylinder started to fill up. The replacement filters also cost a fortune. Got myself a Panasonic cleaner a few years ago, came with lifetime filters, so no further expense, nearly takes the floorboards up with the suction power, and it was only £80. Still going strong and you could hoover up the cat with with it, never mind the hairs!!

Panasonic 1 Diesoon 0

Panasonic advances and will face Monica Lewinsky in the next phase ;)

hansolo
08-Mar-08, 00:25
Mmmmmmmmmm? Dc 07 my wife's one went like that, then 2 week's later went up in smoke.[evil]

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 00:34
Mmmmmmmmmm? Dc 07 my wife's one went like that, then 2 week's later went up in smoke.[evil]

Uh oh! You're worrying me now! Last thing I want is my new house exploding! Can someone give me some enthusiasm to get down to some serious housework tomorrow?

Thumper
08-Mar-08, 09:21
Hi Rob,I had the same dyson and the same problem!I now have a vax and its fab!I got it really cheap on bid-up tv it only cost £38!The dyson is quite good but not a patch on the vax....also my cousin had the same one and it blew up :eek: x

Ricco
08-Mar-08, 09:37
Must confess that I am becoming another Diesoon convert. We've had ours for years and, yes it was initially far superior to our old Electrolux, but the suction has died away, despite thorough cleaning and regular filter cleaning. I am interested in the comments about Miele - I shall look at one today.

Oh, aren't our lives so wonderful... chatting merrily away about the exciting world of vacuum cleaners! Joix! :lol:

trinkie
08-Mar-08, 10:14
My vacuum is weak - It will not sook .
For dustpan and brush I must hev a look,
Give me a clue to what I should do.
I want my hoose clean, bright shining new.

I leaned my back against a chair
An thought tae masel ‘This isna fair
I’ve scrubbed ma fingers tae the bone
But the Dyson jist geis oot a drone.’

O Waley, waley - I began tae dream
A cup o’ tea and a Custard Cream
Would be my delight in my hour o’ need
I’ll jist hev three tae cure ma greed !

But what’s that I see upon the mat
A purring, smiling, devious cat !
‘What’s that you’re eating?’ I asked the beast
‘Your plants’ he purred – ‘O what a feast !’

I took the feline by the scruff
An gave it such a telling off,
‘Now dinna eat my plants again!’
An threw it oot in a’ the rain.

But now ma hert is verra sair
What I hev done jist isna fair
My actions they were very silly
Thank Goad, it didna eat my Kaffir Lily

This was not written my Trinkie – honest !

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 13:27
My vacuum is weak - It will not sook .
For dustpan and brush I must hev a look,
Give me a clue to what I should do.
I want my hoose clean, bright shining new.

I leaned my back against a chair
An thought tae masel ‘This isna fair
I’ve scrubbed ma fingers tae the bone
But the Dyson jist geis oot a drone.’

O Waley, waley - I began tae dream
A cup o’ tea and a Custard Cream
Would be my delight in my hour o’ need
I’ll jist hev three tae cure ma greed !

But what’s that I see upon the mat
A purring, smiling, devious cat !
‘What’s that you’re eating?’ I asked the beast
‘Your plants’ he purred – ‘O what a feast !’

I took the feline by the scruff
An gave it such a telling off,
‘Now dinna eat my plants again!’
An threw it oot in a’ the rain.

But now ma hert is verra sair
What I hev done jist isna fair
My actions they were very silly
Thank Goad, it didna eat my Kaffir Lily

This was not written my Trinkie – honest !

OH MY GOD :lol::lol:

Thanks for writing this...this is SOOO funny! Had me instiches...didn't realise till halfway through it's dedicated to me! I'm gonna print this off! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 13:42
Sorry still cannot get over how funny this is!

Margaret M.
08-Mar-08, 16:09
Great poem, whomever wrote it, Trinkie!!

karia
08-Mar-08, 16:14
Got to remember the old idiom rob!

'Nature abhors a vacuum':D

dessie
08-Mar-08, 16:20
bye yourself a brush and shovel rob mate lol[lol]

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 19:38
Haha! LOL! I think the dyson epidemic is now solved!