PDA

View Full Version : Christie v Saxon

Cattach
07-Mar-08, 08:47
From time to time Al Christie leaps into the letters page of the Groat or Courier with what can only assume is disjointed thoughts produced by waking up with a start from a dream. There can be no other corresponded with such mixed up views. But then Roger Saxon appears on the scene with a letter about Thurso and Supermarkets which belies belief. No matter whether or not, like me, you do not really mind where the next supermarket goes the facts expressed in Roger’s letter are so twisted, wrong and lacking in logic that you have to be glad he is no longer a councillor.

What struck me most amongst a mismatch of comment was his comments regarding those who signed the online petition. As a former councillor he should not be so dismissive of the public view. In addition, he wonders why nothing more has been heard from them since the Reporters decision. Just maybe they have reluctantly accepted the Pennyland decision but see the positives, if less, of the Mart alternative.

Yes a very mixed up comment on an issue that lost Roger his council seat – sour grapes maybe?

balto
07-Mar-08, 08:51
So is there any news on asda. Or are we still playing the waiting game.

bekisman
07-Mar-08, 13:38
Being one of the many thousands who signed the petition, had a look: http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4167/Big_supermarkets_are_not_out_to_do_us_any_favours. html (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4167/Big_supermarkets_are_not_out_to_do_us_any_favours. html)

A few comments from Roger:

"True, the Pennyland Asda proposal was contrary to the local plan on the grounds of green space and historic buildings, but it was also contrary to regional and national planning guidelines"

But certainly ok for a sports arena or a large hotel and it's ancillary developments?

"We have (perhaps that should be had) local planning committees because occasionally they will use value judgment to set aside the local plan if there are good reasons for doing so – as was the case for Tesco in Wick."

Ehh?

"Incidentally, not a single candidate who made Asda an election issue even bothered to turn up at the inquiry. And what happened to the hundreds who allegedly were so incensed at the initial refusal that they signed an online petition? Hardly a cheep since the announcement."

'Candidate'? bit of a jibe that one, maybe too busy getting voted in? and us (no Roger is was not 'hundreds' it was 'thousands' - don't you remember, I emailed them all to you?) 'petition signers'; well, expected our councillors to listen to the will of the people maybe?

"Hopefully we will soon have a new supermarket and housing at the mart site with a petrol outlet to provide much-needed competition in Thurso. But don't be surprised if Thurso shopping centre starts to falter, or garages (some of which provide more than just petrol) close."

'much-needed competition in Thurso'? I expect a vast number of Thurso folk have been going to Wick for their shopping and fuel since November 06. IF ASDA does come to Thurso it'll be a quite a while before they build and start drawing back lost customers.. AND 'Thurso Shopping Centre starts to falter' ! Good gracious; 'starts'? what a naive thing to say. In the intervening years Thurso HAS already suffered, I for one don't spend my money there, why should I?.
"The big supermarkets are not out to do us any favours – their main driver is share price, and if they don't expand continuously the fat-cat directors don't get their bonus or are replaced. Remember that if you spend a pound in a local business, 80p stays in the local economy. The situation is reversed if you spend it in a national store – only 20p (mainly the staff wages) stays within the local economy."
What a dinosaur way of thinking. All fine and dandy in a utopian universe, but in reality, all, (well most) want cheap and a wide variety of foods - the old Somerfields; 3,000 lines, the Wick Tesco's: 20,000..

Cattach
08-Mar-08, 21:16
Being one of the many thousands who signed the petition, had a look: http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4167/Big_supermarkets_are_not_out_to_do_us_any_favours. html (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4167/Big_supermarkets_are_not_out_to_do_us_any_favours. html)

A few comments from Roger:

"True, the Pennyland Asda proposal was contrary to the local plan on the grounds of green space and historic buildings, but it was also contrary to regional and national planning guidelines"

But certainly ok for a sports arena or a large hotel and it's ancillary developments?

"We have (perhaps that should be had) local planning committees because occasionally they will use value judgment to set aside the local plan if there are good reasons for doing so – as was the case for Tesco in Wick."

Ehh?

"Incidentally, not a single candidate who made Asda an election issue even bothered to turn up at the inquiry. And what happened to the hundreds who allegedly were so incensed at the initial refusal that they signed an online petition? Hardly a cheep since the announcement."

'Candidate'? bit of a jibe that one, maybe too busy getting voted in? and us (no Roger is was not 'hundreds' it was 'thousands' - don't you remember, I emailed them all to you?) 'petition signers'; well, expected our councillors to listen to the will of the people maybe?

"Hopefully we will soon have a new supermarket and housing at the mart site with a petrol outlet to provide much-needed competition in Thurso. But don't be surprised if Thurso shopping centre starts to falter, or garages (some of which provide more than just petrol) close."

'much-needed competition in Thurso'? I expect a vast number of Thurso folk have been going to Wick for their shopping and fuel since November 06. IF ASDA does come to Thurso it'll be a quite a while before they build and start drawing back lost customers.. AND 'Thurso Shopping Centre starts to falter' ! Good gracious; 'starts'? what a naive thing to say. In the intervening years Thurso HAS already suffered, I for one don't spend my money there, why should I?.
"The big supermarkets are not out to do us any favours – their main driver is share price, and if they don't expand continuously the fat-cat directors don't get their bonus or are replaced. Remember that if you spend a pound in a local business, 80p stays in the local economy. The situation is reversed if you spend it in a national store – only 20p (mainly the staff wages) stays within the local economy."
What a dinosaur way of thinking. All fine and dandy in a utopian universe, but in reality, all, (well most) want cheap and a wide variety of foods - the old Somerfields; 3,000 lines, the Wick Tesco's: 20,000..

Spot on Bekisman.
What bothers me most is that this former councillor completely ignores, indeed insults, the views and the people holding them who signed the Asda petition in their thousands.
You would have thought a former Labour Party politician and Party Supporter would have a better idea of democracy and I say that as a Labour Party supporter myself.

badger
08-Mar-08, 21:39
So is there any news on asda. Or are we still playing the waiting game.

This is the nearest you're going to get to an answer at the moment (I came across this agenda accidentally when looking for something else - don't think you'd ever find it on the HC website by searching [disgust])

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/committees/caithnesssutherlandandeasterrossmeetings/caithnesssutherlandandeasterrossplanningapplicatio nsandreviewcommittee/200803-04-cserpl-ag.htm

See items 7 and 8, also links to the reports.