PDA

View Full Version : A long weekend away...?

percy toboggan
06-Mar-08, 22:20
I'm bursting to get away for a few days. It's been a longish winter.
The sea is calling...possibly North Yorkshire..somewhere quaintish...
with an abbey...I hope I can swing it. Money's tightish but we''ve been savin' up like :cool:

Have you had your first wee trip of 2008 yet? (junkies need not respond)

Torvaig
06-Mar-08, 22:26
The sea is calling...possibly North Yorkshire..somewhere quaintish...
with an abbey...I hope I can swing it. Money's tightish but we''ve been savin' up like :cool:

Have you had your first wee trip of 2008 yet? (junkies need not respond)

Yes, I had a wee trip about three weeks ago; I have now discarded the walking stick and can now walk a few hundred yards unaided! ;)

karia
06-Mar-08, 22:29
First tiny wee jaunt of 2008 was to Linlithgow palace with its loch and peel....like you I seem to need a touch of water and a Historical building to get me through until spring.:D

percy toboggan
06-Mar-08, 22:33
First tiny wee jaunt of 2008 was to Linlithgow palace with its loch and peel....like you I seem to need a touch of water and a Historical building to get me through until spring.:D

Methinks I have gazed upon that place from afar many times...is it distantly visible from the motorway?

karia
06-Mar-08, 22:38
Methinks I have gazed upon that place from afar many times...is it distantly visible from the motorway?

T'is indeed Percy...easily recognisable because of its 'replacement' spire which I have always seen as a bit of a botched job on a beautiful building.:(

Next time come off the motorway and enjoy!

Moira
06-Mar-08, 23:03
The sea is calling... <snip> ....... Have you had your first wee trip of 2008 yet? (junkies need not respond)

Gosh Percy - now you have me yearning for "my cottage in the hills" though I dislike being too far or too long from the coast and the sea. This was where we spent some really great holidays on the Scottish mainland in recent years.
http://www.highlandholidaycottages.com/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.highlandholidaycottages.com/)

I drove by Crubenbeg a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I was on a business trip so was unable to stop :(

It does seem as if it has been a long winter, Percy. Enjoy your trip, whatever you decide to do and keep us updated in the Photograpy forum. :)

Fran
07-Mar-08, 03:43
You can get a cheap trip on DFS ferries from Newcastle to Holland or other places from £29 one way, sleep on the ferry, have a day in holland and sleep on the ferry on the way home.

squidge
07-Mar-08, 11:27
Linlithgow palace is beautiful - I was there last year with the battle re enactment group and it was an amazing weekend. Not sure you would be allowed to camp in the grounds of the palace though Percy - we sure were lucky. North yorkshire coast is lovely though - Sounds like around Whitby might be a good place - otherwise try the Solway Firth, Caerlaverock Castle is Fabulous and Sweetheart Abbey lovely too. Lots of B and Bs and lots of history too.

Have fun

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 11:53
Lol loved the comment about junkies need not reply! Anyone got any ideas for a trip this weekend?

karia
07-Mar-08, 12:00
- otherwise try the Solway Firth, Caerlaverock Castle is Fabulous and Sweetheart Abbey lovely too. Lots of B and Bs and lots of history too.

Got to agree the solway Firth is lovely, very picturesque and tranquil...though as I am only a 10 min drive from Linlithgow palace it gets visited more often.;)

Good to see you squidge!:D

Penelope Pitstop
07-Mar-08, 12:00
Lol loved the comment about junkies need not reply! Anyone got any ideas for a trip this weekend?
My trip this weekend will be up a ladder with a tin of paint and a brush...great weekend ahead lol:)

Lolabelle
07-Mar-08, 12:06
We were hoping to get away camping, but it's not looking good with work. So me the dogs and Charly will probably hang out at home and watch telly, eat to much rubbish and hang on the org. :eek:

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 12:17
My trip this weekend will be up a ladder with a tin of paint and a brush...great weekend ahead lol:)

Sounds like hard work

helenwyler
07-Mar-08, 12:30
We were hoping to get away camping, but it's not looking good with work. So me the dogs and Charly will probably hang out at home and watch telly, eat to much rubbish and hang on the org. :eek:

Shame about the camping Lolabelle...but chilling out with a cute guy whispering sweet nothings in your ear ain't bad either!:)

dunderheed
07-Mar-08, 12:41
my first wee trip this year was to lanzarote.

ideas for this weekend?? farmers market in dingwall is looking favourite at the moment as i've got to cover for the duty manager in alness in the evening.

karia
07-Mar-08, 12:55
I've got to say that we had a break in the lake District at the end of November...cold but fantastic...so I shouldn't feel hard done by.

Can't wait for Sutherland in the summer though!:D

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 13:12
I have to pot up the cuttings Trinkie sent me.....trying to get round to doing it! They're rooting fantastically in the water at the mo!

Anyway, that would do as a little break for me!

Penelope Pitstop
07-Mar-08, 17:23
Sounds like hard work
A few glasses of red wine tomorrow night will help ease the pain:lol:

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 18:09
A few glasses of red wine tomorrow night will help ease the pain:lol:

Glasses!!!!???? More like bottles! Can I join ya? lol

magtomich
07-Mar-08, 18:50
Had a really good weekend with friends in Stornoway middle of Feb. Weather not so good but saw a lot of the Island. Downside was a terrible crossing from Ullapool and an even more terrible crossing coming back. May consider flying next time!!!!

Tugmistress
07-Mar-08, 18:53
You can get a cheap trip on DFS ferries from Newcastle to Holland or other places from £29 one way, sleep on the ferry, have a day in holland and sleep on the ferry on the way home.

hehe yup, got a 3 nighter booked for me and the neep £49 per person newcastle to norway and back! looking forward to it if the neeps passport comes in time!

percy toboggan
07-Mar-08, 19:48
Well, we're off up to Whitby... tomoz. On spec...though the B & B's should be fighting for customers! Looking for photo ops....good food and fresh, sea air. There's a storm on the way on Monday - we were gonna stay for two nights & I've booked the day off.. but not sure now. I quite like the idea of watching the North Sea churning. Might cut and run early though...either way I'm glad I'm not going to be wrestling with an artic -and the curtains - on monday...it looks a tad grim.

All those steel buckles flyin' and two heavy poles at either end - like a many headed monster that can bite, and often does!

Hope Caithness escapes the worst of it.

karia
07-Mar-08, 19:51
Three important things to take with you Percy:

Camera

Wife

Thermal Underwear

Not necessarily in that order!;)

Have a lovely time.:D

sweetpea
07-Mar-08, 22:21
I'm planning Ullapool for the easter weekend or somewhere up west, looking for a nice hotel to stay in on the internet, so if anyone can reccommend any please do.
Just fancy a lazy weekend away from here, with good food and a bit of music would be a bonus.

percy toboggan
08-Mar-08, 00:08
I'm planning Ullapool for the easter weekend or somewhere up west, looking for a nice hotel to stay in on the internet, so if anyone can reccommend any please do.
Just fancy a lazy weekend away from here, with good food and a bit of music would be a bonus.

We sauntered into the biggest boozer in Ullapool one afternoon in late May last year. After a ten hour drive - we did the Borman/McGregor thing and went the long way round.

We had a meal apiece for a tenner, but were too knack'd to hang around 'til nine for the live band. A regular feature apparently so you might be lucky. There are a fair few B & B's in town and and a couple of Hotels.

There's a Hotel at Scourie further north - you'll need to trawl google for the name...quietish when we went in ( early 10/05)...have good doo.

percy toboggan
08-Mar-08, 00:12
Three important things to take with you Percy:

Camera

Wife

Thermal Underwear

Not necessarily in that order!;)

Have a lovely time.:D

Wife's a non-optional extra, & the driving force behind the trip.
Cameras are all charged and ready to go.
I've thought about thermals and they too, are poised.
I'm cracking open a new jumper too!
Been stuck on a hanger for six months !

Will need to stop for a pee on the way up
so I'm also taking the sat-lav.*

*plagiarism sucks - so I have to credit fivelive.