PDA

View Full Version : Online romance

teddybear1873
06-Mar-08, 18:46
Just wondering what peoples views are on meeting anyone from the internet are? Whether it was by online dating service, chatrooms, forums etc etc. I'm sure peoples views on this is very mixed as meeting anyone of the net mainly gets bad press. I met my fiance through a Scotland chatroom 2 years ago. We werent looking for romance, we chatted about everyday things, mainly Scottish culture as her ancestors is from the west coast of Scotland. Then after a few months it blossomed into a relationship. Shes from South Carolina and we have met 4 times. I just really want to have a feel on what people from the Caithness area feel about it and also has anyone met someone from the net?

Venture
06-Mar-08, 19:32
There's a lot of bad people out there who do take advantage of some very vulnerable people over the net. We've all heard about kids being groomed by older men posing as teenagers. But when it comes to adults Id say there are a lot of romances which have started from chat rooms etc. Some of them work out and some don't. The net has brought a lot of happiness into the lives of a lot of lonely or shy people. They make lots of friends and gain support when they need it, I'm glad to here that you have found romance on the net and I see by your location that a move might be in the offing. I hope things work out for you and wish you lots of luck and happiness for the future.

mums angels
06-Mar-08, 19:40
My brother met his now wife via the internet he was in Oman and she was in
Oz and my cousin from germany met her now husband on a chat site and he was in america .

My opinion is that meeting on internet can work but honestly wouldn't be for me , plus think you have to be very careful to make sure that people are who they say they are.

blackbess
06-Mar-08, 19:49
yea great for some people but again have to be wary.....you just never know what weirdos are out there .....bit desperate meetimg someone few times and wanting to marry them unless a long engagement ...however each to their own :)

teddybear1873
06-Mar-08, 19:53
My brother met his now wife via the internet he was in Oman and she was in
Oz and my cousin from germany met her now husband on a chat site and he was in america .

My opinion is that meeting on internet can work but honestly wouldn't be for me , plus think you have to be very careful to make sure that people are who they say they are.

Quite rightly so. I took as much caution as i could. Things like asking the same questions 2 or 3 months later to see if it was the same answer, being on cam, talking on the phone as much as possible, finding out as much info as i could. The net can be a dangerous place as we all know. But if done right and taking the proper steps and precautions along the way it is a good way of meeting people.

mums angels
06-Mar-08, 19:55
yea great for some people but again have to be wary.....you just never know what weirdos are out there .....bit desperate meetimg someone few times and wanting to marry them unless a long engagement ...however each to their own :)

i can see what you are getting at but in most cases that i know of the marriges are far from quick, if not the oppostie .my brother spoke to his now wife for 3 years on phone, internet etc and visited OZ a few times then they lived together for a further 2 years before marring , same for my cousin 6 years via net , a long term visit , lived together a year and half before marrying ...both longer than some people i know that meet and are married within the year ..lol its like you say each to their own .

i am weary of chatrooms as feel people give out way to much personal info, plus meeting people in person no matter how old you are can be dangerous.

mums angels
06-Mar-08, 19:58
Quite rightly so. I took as much caution as i could. Things like asking the same questions 2 or 3 months later to see if it was the same answer, being on cam, talking on the phone as much as possible, finding out as much info as i could. The net can be a dangerous place as we all know. But if done right and taking the proper steps and precautions along the way it is a good way of meeting people.

totaly agree with you ..take proper precautions etc and all should be ok .. i am happy with how things worked out for my brother as i wouldn't have a beautiful new neice if not :D and glad that you have found a good romance too .

anneoctober
06-Mar-08, 20:20
good & bad !! My friend met a guy in an online chatroom, they emailed, eventually they swapped photos. OMG when I looked at his photo, the first name that came into my head was "Jack the Ripper" :eek: He came up here from South of England stayed about 18 months, borrowed money, made passes at her friends etc, thank goodness she found the strength from somewhere to get shot of him. She's never looked back since!
Good side : a young guy met his now wife in a chatroom. They got to know each other via email and phone calls, he visited the USA several times and vice versa. She's the sweetest girl you could wish for......I LOVE a happy ending ;)

brandy
06-Mar-08, 20:26
i met my hubby in a chatroom *G* and it wasnt a long romance at all!we first spoke in aug 99' and i came over in nov 28th 99' and we were married 1st may 2000.. and we are still going strong!
sometimes you just click.. and sometimes.. you just meet the one..
and here we are years on.. our anniversary coming up.. and i would never change a thing.. well maybe a couple things *Grins* i would def. had not went to gran canaria as our honeymoon again! *G* if we didnt have the first blush of love and romance going... *Groans* well lets just say i didnt like gran canaria!

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 20:31
What ever happened to old fashioned romance? This is too weird. I met my man in the pub:roll:

Margaret M.
06-Mar-08, 20:38
As long as you have your guard up and do lots of checking, I guess it is OK. The gullible never cease to amaze me -- they fall for the fake photo and all the patter. And after he/she lends money to the new sweetheart, he/she is actually surprised when sweetheart disappears into thin air.

WeeBurd
06-Mar-08, 20:38
I have no experience of on-line romance, but I have made some very dear friends on-line, some of whom I have met already, and some of whom I hope to meet in the future. :D

octane
06-Mar-08, 20:56
Has there ever been an ORG relationship blossemed through being on here?

karia
06-Mar-08, 20:58
I have no experience of on-line romance, but I have made some very dear friends on-line, some of whom I have met already, and some of whom I hope to meet in the future. :D

I'll second that!:D

kx

teddybear1873
06-Mar-08, 20:58
Has there ever been an ORG relationship blossemed through being on here?

That will be interesting to know lol.

balto
06-Mar-08, 22:04
but as for just making friends i have made a few good friends on bebo that i would never have met otherwise.

teddybear1873
06-Mar-08, 22:06
i think is really dangerous to try and find romance online as you dont really know who you are speaking to they could paint the perfect picture of themselves but turn out to be the total opposite, it isnt something i would do.

It's only really dangerous if you go out not taking the proper steps. What about the amount of people that meet in a pub, either half drunk or totally drunk.

balto
06-Mar-08, 22:18
It's only really dangerous if you go out not taking the proper steps. What about the amount of people that meet in a pub, either half drunk or totally drunk.
by proper steps what do you mean how do you really know that the person in there profile pic. and as for someone getting drunk and going away with someone they dont know sorry but they should have more selfrespect for themselves.

teddybear1873
06-Mar-08, 22:24
by proper steps what do you mean how do you really know that the person in there profile pic. and as for someone getting drunk and going away with someone they dont know sorry but they should have more selfrespect for themselves.

Getting to know them the right way. Not only speak to them but also there family and friends, dont rush it, first time meet in a public place eg a cafe. Im not saying online romance is good or bad. It works for some and not others. It worked for me and i know 100% she hasnt lied and shes very open in who she it. I think after. I think after meeting her 4 times in 2 years and speaking on the phone everyday i should know by now if she was hiding something or it wouldnt work out.

balto
06-Mar-08, 22:27
Getting to know them the right way. Not only speak to them but also there family and friends, dont rush it, first time meet in a public place eg a cafe. Im not saying online romance is good or bad. It works for some and not others. It worked for me and i know 100% she hasnt lied and shes very open in who she it. I think after. I think after meeting her 4 times in 2 years and speaking on the phone everyday i should know by now if she was hiding something or it wouldnt work out.well if you have actually met them then that is different then you know they are who they say they are, i have heard of it working for couples before but personnaly i wouldnt do it cause knowing my luck i would end up with a total nutter, but as i have been with my partner for 15 years today i doubt if i will ever have the need to do it.

blackbess
06-Mar-08, 22:56
aye but some folk do lie...not initially....get carried away with the internet and chat rooms.....believe all they here and fall in love or so they say at the drop of a hat....that is so sad

Dynamic Sounds
06-Mar-08, 23:11
Good side : a young guy met his now wife in a chatroom. They got to know each other via email and phone calls, he visited the USA several times and vice versa. She's the sweetest girl you could wish for......I LOVE a happy ending ;)

Just cos she gave you food yeaterday does not mean she is the sweetest girl, but she is :cool:

George Brims
06-Mar-08, 23:30
Bad side: We know two different people whose spouses found a new love online and divorced them!

teddybear1873
06-Mar-08, 23:34
Bad side: We know two different people whose spouses found a new love online and divorced them!

Its like any relationship or marriage george. Some work, some dont.

Kevin Milkins
06-Mar-08, 23:57
If you meet somone on line are you protected by the consumer protection act and you can send them back if they are not as discribed?:lol:

wick-girl
07-Mar-08, 00:02
If you meet somone on line are you protected by the consumer protection act and you can send them back if they are not as discribed?:lol:
ha ha thats a good one,dont reckon that would work tho

Dynamic Sounds
07-Mar-08, 00:35

Must try that one out on the wife........... no on second thoughts, I like breathing, and having unbroken bones a wee bit too much :)